Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brent Burns

Dobber Sports Initiate

I've always had a man crush on Burns. He's got some of the best hands I've seen on a defenceman. Now that he's up front, he's performing like a keeper. Those of us who have him have a tough decision to make this off-season.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Shark fan or not Ive decided to keep him, the upside is to much to turn down. If they move Boyle this summer I might change my mind.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin View Post
    Shark fan or not Ive decided to keep him, the upside is to much to turn down. If they move Boyle this summer I might change my mind.
    A couple months ago I would have traded him for a bag of pucks and a bucket of spit. Now, he is solidly in my future plans.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I havent been able to catch any of the last few Sharks games. Frozen pool tool isnt even showing him and the Nichols Sportsnet line combos dont seem like they have been updated in a while. Is Burns back on D or still playing F?
    10 Team Pts Only Keeper

Dobber Sports Star

I'm pretty sure he was with Havlat and Thornton last game.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold View Post
    I havent been able to catch any of the last few Sharks games. Frozen pool tool isnt even showing him and the Nichols Sportsnet line combos dont seem like they have been updated in a while. Is Burns back on D or still playing F?

Most line combination software is "automated".
    So, when a rostered defenseman plays forward, the software will find the two forwards on the line... but has no built-in measure to find the other player on the forward line and may not include Burns or may include another defenseman erroneously.

If you ever want to check on lines for past games, one of the most accurate ways is to go to NHL.com/Stats/Game-By-Games/RTSS Reports.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/gamestats.htm...eamRTSSreports

Then, find the last game of the team you are looking for and click it.

You have to know how to "read numbers", but if you know jersey numbers, you can read which line started the game, which line was out 2nd, etc... throughout the game.

In San Jose's last game vs CBJ, they opened with 8-13-21 (Pavelski-Torres-Galiardi, their 3rd line), followed by 12-39-57 (Marleau-Couture-Wingels, their 2nd line), followed by 19-9-5-7-88 (Thornton-Havlat- three defenseman). That's Brent Burns as the 3rd forward, because it sure ain't either Demers (#5) or Stuart (#7) playing forward.

The RTSS reports lists the players by alpha-forward-position C-L-R, then D, then G.
    If there are multiple players at same position (C or D or...) it will list those players numerically by number 0-99... so two players on the same line listed as centers (C) will appear first, with the lower jersey number listed first.

This is why Burns would be listed last, 5-7-88, since all are rostered "D" by NHL.com position.

Long, story short... yes Burns is still playing wing on line 1 with Thornton & Havlat.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Long, story short... yes Burns is still playing wing on line 1 with Thornton & Havlat.
    If you can call it line 1, all three of them got benched last game lol. (Havlat ~12 min, Burns 10:46, Thornton 10:30)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    If you can call it line 1, all three of them got benched last game lol. (Havlat ~12 min, Burns 10:46, Thornton 10:30)
    LOL.
    We are both cross-jumping two threads about San Jose and Havlat.
    I'm looking at the RTSS report right now.

In the 2nd period, one could see that HazmatBurn line (that's what I've decided to call Joe-Havlat-Burns) was on for a long shift early in the 2nd period.
    Burns couldn't get off and CBJ scored. 88 registered on-ice for goal against.

The HazmatBurn line is out there starting at 1:39 of the 2nd.
    By 2:50 of the 2nd, Havlat and Thornton are off the ice and Desjardins (10) and Couture (39) are on. [Strange duo to hit the ice at the same time]
    At 3:09, CBJ scores and Burns is still registered at being on the ice.
    That would be a 1:30+ shift for Burns. And coaches HATE... HATE!... when there is a goal against and a player is on a long-shift and didn't get off.

Then two minutes later, Havlat was on with Couture and Galiardi.
    Next, Marleau and Thornton and Burns were out there and CBJ scored again.
    Following that goal (which made it 3-0), SJ sent out 8-13-21 followed by a new line of 39-57-9 (Couture-Wingels-Havlat). Obviously, the Sharks didn't score again and lost 4-0.
    So, two terrible shifts in a row for Burns. There, likely, lies the Burns benching.
    http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/PL020584.HTM

Burns didn't hit the ice again until 11:47 of the 2nd.
    (So, an 8+ minute benching.)

I didn't see the games, but my Matrix-like-numerical-interpretation is that they effed up some line changes and got scored against.
    I'm sure ToddMc railed them for it, but I don't know if it's enough to shuffle line combinations that produced 7-0-1 in the previous 8 games.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; April 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM.