Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tarasenko or Drouin/MacKinnon?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I apologize if this may be hijacking the thread, but

Lets say hypothetically, if Yakupov and Huberdeau were in this upcoming draft as well, how would Droiun and MacKinnon compare with them (ignoring what Yakupov and Huberdeau have done so far)?
    It's hard to ignore the NHL success but based on "hype" leading into their respective drafts, I'd say:

1. Yakupov
    2. MacKinnon
    3. Drouin
    4. Huberdeau

As good as the other kids are, pre-draft, Yakupov was a goal scoring machine and highlight reel sensation, drawing comparisons to Bure.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm going against the grain here and saying I prefer Tarasenko. I do think he has the highest upside and will rise above the scoring by commitee approach in St Louis. We kind of see this every year,just like a kid at christmas with the shiny new toy,the draft elgible players get so hyped up,and everyone wants them over the ones hyped a yr or 2 ago.
    I am more certain Tara will be a superstar from the games I have seen him play so far.He just has that "it" factor in his game.Not saying the kids aren't gonna be good,just personally like the Tank better.
    2010 and 2014 IceHoles League champion
    16 Team Dynasty League,H2H Scoring 1.5 PTS g,1 PT assist,PPG + 1 additional,SHG +1.5 Additional,.1 pts per PIM wins 4 pts shutout 3 pts ga -1 sv .08
    C Backes,Bonino,Lee ,Nelson,Tierney
    LW Cammalerri,Benn,Kunitz,Zetterberg
    RW Kessel,Hossa,Pominville,Saad
    D Barrie,OEL,McDonagh,Josi,Chara
    G Luongo,Rinne,Allen
    Minors Buchnivich,Kempe,H.Samuelsson,Kapanen,Lindell,Were nski,Sproul,M.Jones,S.Williams,Gillies,Darling

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by WingNutUpNorth View Post
    We kind of see this every year,just like a kid at christmas with the shiny new toy,the draft elgible players get so hyped up,and everyone wants them over the ones hyped a yr or 2 ago.
    The production from some of this years top draft choices is almost unprecedented outside of freaks like Crosby. Barkov has set scoring records for his age, Drouin's PPG production in his draft year puts him in a class above every #1 pick since Crosby and him and Nate Mac were the first two draft eligible players to make the Canadian World Junior club since Tavares and Crosby. Furthermore, Barkov and Nate Mac barely even qualified for this draft year!!! These are EXCEPTIONAL talents we're talking about here and this years top 4-5 draft eligible players are off the charts!

Ignore at your own peril, this is not just another case of the shiny new toy. I can't stress this in any stronger terms. Jones, Nate Mac, Drouin and Barkov are ALL guys who could have gone 1st overall in other years.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    The production from some of this years top draft choices is almost unprecedented outside of freaks like Crosby. Barkov has set scoring records for his age, Drouin's PPG production in his draft year puts him in a class above every #1 pick since Crosby and him and Nate Mac were the first two draft eligible players to make the Canadian World Junior club since Tavares and Crosby. Furthermore, Barkov and Nate Mac barely even qualified for this draft year!!! These are EXCEPTIONAL talents we're talking about here and this years top 4-5 draft eligible players are off the charts!

Ignore at your own peril, this is not just another case of the shiny new toy. I can't stress this in any stronger terms. Jones, Nate Mac, Drouin and Barkov are ALL guys who could have gone 1st overall in other years.
    I largely agree with your comments but I had to point out that since Crosby there has been at least one draft eligible player taken every year: Toews, Gagner, Stamkos, Doughty, Boychuk, L. Schenn, E. Kane, Ellis, Hall, Couturier, R. Murray... I might be missing some.

What was particularly special about Crosby, Mac and Drouin making it in their draft eligible seasons is that fact that there was a lockout and there were players on the WJC team from previous drafts that would otherwise not be available, making it much harder to make the team.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post

What was particularly special about Crosby, Mac and Drouin making it in their draft eligible seasons is that fact that there was a lockout and there were players on the WJC team from previous drafts that would otherwise not be available, making it much harder to make the team.
    Ah, good point. Brain fart, I was thinking about making it during a lockout year but then Tavares still doesn't work.....double doh.

Anyway, all my points still stand with a revision to the Tavares comment!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post

Drouin's PPG production was by far the most impressive of any draft eligible player in recent years (for reference, Baertschi had similar levels in his draft plus one year) but he didn't surpass the levels of any pick since Crosby.

Pat Kane and Sam Gagner were the last players to put up similar levels of PPG production in their draft eligible years at the CHL level. Gagner was around similar levels to Drouin (a little higher than him) but Kane was absolutely ridiculous. He had more than a goal a game and 2.5 points per game.

But in the past 5 drafts, no CHL player has had anywhere near Drouin's level of PPG in their draft eligible season.

The OHL was definitely more of an offensive league back then, with 9 players scoring over 100 points, 7 players over 45 goals and 5 teams over 290 goals for. The Q by comparison had only 4 players over 100 points this year, and only 5 above 45 goals (the OHL had three above 50, two above 60, and the Q had one above 50), as well as only one team above 290 goals for.

What's ridiculous about the Mooseheads is they almost had 350 goals for this season, almost 65 more goals than the next highest scoring team.

But your point about this draft class being special is definitely true. That Drouin could be that offensively dominant and not be considered the number 1 overall pick should be a testament to that.

BTW, I gave out rep to everyone I could. I'll hit the rest tomorrow when my 24 hour limit ends.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson