Thread: Drop a skater for a third goaltender? (rep!)

Dobber Sports Ace

Question Drop a skater for a third goaltender? (rep!)

I just finished drafting for my semi-keeper (team/format in sig), and I'm thinking about maybe dropping Giordano for a 3rd goalie.

If I do pick up a 3rd goalie, I'm not sure if I want to pick up a guy more certain to get work (Theodore, Nabokov), or more likely to get good numbers despite fewer starts (Harding, Bernier, Khudobin... maybe even Hedberg).

Thoughts? All replies repped!

Dobber Sports Ace

Now that the schedule has been released, check the Same Night Tool to see if how many B2Bs those goalies you like have... and if LA has a bunch crammed into this short season, I'd very much consider picking up Bernier - even just for the sake of the schedule in this short season... plus Quick coming off an injury and a Stanley Cup... Bernier may have more fire inside and he will get the opportunity more this season than any prior.

The Same Night Tool isn't availabe yet... I am waiting for the Thread myself... probably will surface tomorrow in General Hockey Chat.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Now that the schedule has been released, check the Same Night Tool to see if how many B2Bs those goalies you like have...

The Same Night Tool isn't availabe yet... I am waiting for the Thread myself... probably will surface tomorrow in General Hockey Chat.
    It is now.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Stud

I like Theodore, he's the starter for the Panthers, and while I don't think they make the playoffs this season, they will be a competitive team that can beat any team. He impressed me last season, and from the options you presented deserves a shot.

Guys like Harding, Bernier, and Khudobin, aren't guys that I would like to have in your league, but I'd keep an eye on their situations, if any of the starters for their team go down, they suddenly become great options. These three guys won't get a legimate shot with the starters they have in front of them, but if an oppertunity presents itself, they can be better options then some of the other starters in the league.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Now that the schedule has been released, check the Same Night Tool to see if how many B2Bs those goalies you like have... and if LA has a bunch crammed into this short season, I'd very much consider picking up Bernier - even just for the sake of the schedule in this short season... plus Quick coming off an injury and a Stanley Cup... Bernier may have more fire inside and he will get the opportunity more this season than any prior.

Thanks. So what I see from this the Kings play 8 back-to-backs, among the lowest in the league (the highest being Chicago/Detroit, each with 12)?

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    I like Theodore, he's the starter for the Panthers, and while I don't think they make the playoffs this season, they will be a competitive team that can beat any team. He impressed me last season, and from the options you presented deserves a shot.

Guys like Harding, Bernier, and Khudobin, aren't guys that I would like to have in your league, but I'd keep an eye on their situations, if any of the starters for their team go down, they suddenly become great options. These three guys won't get a legimate shot with the starters they have in front of them, but if an oppertunity presents itself, they can be better options then some of the other starters in the league.
    I see. I like Theodore too... I just think Bernier will be far better percentage-wise when he does play. and If I'm just spot starting a third goalie to keep my starts above the miniumum and my percentages low, maybe he fits better. The upside is healthy there too.

And who would you drop, if you were me? Giordano? Desharnais? Neil?
    Last edited by kbro; January 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    I see. I like Theodore too... I just think Bernier will be far better percentage-wise when he does play. and If I'm just spot starting a third goalie to keep my starts above the miniumum and my percentages low, maybe he fits better. The upside is healthy there too.

And who would you drop, if you were me? Giordano? Desharnais? Neil?
    If you want to go with Bernier, that's cool, and I totally understand the reasoning behind it. But for me if it's daily starts and there's no maximum game for goalies, I want to have a goalie in between the pipes for me when ever possible.

I would drop Neil, for sure. Your team has a good source of PIM production, even without Neil, I don't think he's needed on your team.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    If you want to go with Bernier, that's cool, and I totally understand the reasoning behind it. But for me if it's daily starts and there's no maximum game for goalies, I want to have a goalie in between the pipes for me when ever possible.

I would drop Neil, for sure. Your team has a good source of PIM production, even without Neil, I don't think he's needed on your team.
    I get that, I just have no incentive to start "as much as possible". Wins are good, but my key concern is to stay above the minimum starts and keep my percentages as high as possible.

Any other votes for cutting Neil? I think I agree with you there.

The Wolverine

In a H2H league, a more one-dimensional PIM player is not very valuable, as you are relying on PIM production on a weekly basis, which is not always predictable. Plus he's your second bench winger and likely won't be used that often, so there's no guarantee that he'll give you PIM when he's in your lineup.

As for who to choose, well here are Theodore and Bernier's ratios from last season:

Theodore 2.46, .917
    Bernier 2.36, .909

Not conclusive, so I'd rather the guy that you know will more often than not be playing when you need to start them. Another thing is that all is takes is a slump by Halak and Elliott is in and then you are stuck with two (sort of) backups. Get the third starter at least for insurance, and if you are concerned about playing him too much to ruin the ratios, then you can try to use matchups.