Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Prediction: Vegas starting goalie?

The Great One

Default Re: Prediction: Vegas starting goalie?

They wont be playing competitive hockey for the duration of said goalies contract.

I'll bet on that.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    They wont be playing competitive hockey for the duration of said goalies contract.

I'll bet on that.
    I think that depends on your definition of competitive hockey. What I mean is similar to what Dallas and New Jersey did this season. If they can acquire some high-end European free agents, it won't be too difficult to build a team that can do that. The best team in the KHL is better than the worst team in the NHL, so there's some talent not currently playing in the NHL. The only question is, can they get any of that talent.

But if your definition is that they're fighting for a playoff spot, then I agree. But I never meant that.

The Great One

How did you randomly select New Jersey and Dallas? If bottom 3 is 'competitive hockey' than thats news to me.

I would also disagree that the best team in the KHL is better than the worst in the NHL. Theres no proof to back that up.

Also, since you admit they wont be fighting for a playoff spot what difference does it make who is in net? Get the cheapest and highest upside goalie possible. The only goal of this team will be to get top draft picks for the next 4 years.

Attendance will be at a minimum until they start winning and they won't win with whichever goalie and fictional Euro free agents you want them to sign.

To me your strategy is like putting a bandaid on a wound that needs stitches. You're just delaying the process. Looking for shortcuts.

Dobber Sports Wizard

How did you randomly select New Jersey and Dallas? If bottom 3 is 'competitive hockey' than thats news to me.

I would also disagree that the best team in the KHL is better than the worst in the NHL. Theres no proof to back that up.

Also, since you admit they wont be fighting for a playoff spot what difference does it make who is in net? Get the cheapest and highest upside goalie possible. The only goal of this team will be to get top draft picks for the next 4 years.

Attendance will be at a minimum until they start winning and they won't win with whichever goalie and fictional Euro free agents you want them to sign.

To me your strategy is like putting a bandaid on a wound that needs stitches. You're just delaying the process. Looking for shortcuts.
    I don't understand why you're trying to pick a fight all the time. Just relax, dude. I chose those teams randomly, yes. They were low on the standings but still had an honest chance to win against any team in the league. That's how I define "competitive hockey". That's the difference between those teams and Colorado. Or Edmonton from a couple of years ago. If you think teams should only be Cup contenders or AHL level, then that's fine. You have your opinions and I have mine. Why do you feel the need to pick a fight about something like that?

If you would follow both the NHL and the KHL, you would know that. SKA is a better team than Colorado right now. You can call them fictional Euro free agents when you don't know them, I don't mind. I know the quality of those players and I don't need your validation to feel comfortable saying that.

I would just like to use the Maple Leafs as an example. Sure, they drafted Matthews 1st overall but their other key pieces were drafted a bit later. Marner 4th, Rielly 5th, Nylander 8th. So you don't need to draft 1st overall every year to build a good foundation. And Zaitsev was a pretty good "fictional Euro free agent" addition for them. Just saying.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I don't understand why you're trying to pick a fight all the time. Just relax, dude. I chose those teams randomly, yes. They were low on the standings but still had an honest chance to win against any team in the league. That's how I define "competitive hockey". That's the difference between those teams and Colorado. Or Edmonton from a couple of years ago. If you think teams should only be Cup contenders or AHL level, then that's fine. You have your opinions and I have mine. Why do you feel the need to pick a fight about something like that?

If you would follow both the NHL and the KHL, you would know that. SKA is a better team than Colorado right now. You can call them fictional Euro free agents when you don't know them, I don't mind. I know the quality of those players and I don't need your validation to feel comfortable saying that.

I would just like to use the Maple Leafs as an example. Sure, they drafted Matthews 1st overall but their other key pieces were drafted a bit later. Marner 4th, Rielly 5th, Nylander 8th. So you don't need to draft 1st overall every year to build a good foundation. And Zaitsev was a pretty good "fictional Euro free agent" addition for them. Just saying.
    Every team has an honest chance to win against any team in the league. What are you even talking about? Colorado was abysmal this year. Dead last in the league for goals per game, goals against, PP%, and 29th in SH%. So might go out on a limb and say the best KHL team might beat them in a 7 game series. Maybe. Colorado beat Chicago twice this year, just saying.

Vegas won't be able to attract higher end Euro free agents. These guys can pick where they want to go and it won't be Vegas. Again, like the expansion draft....they'll get the litter pickings from that pool.

Im not trying to pick a fight Im just calling out everything you've posted in this thread cause I think it's bullshit. My opinion of course.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Officially, it counts as one of their expansion draft selections and they can't select anyone else from that team, so yeah, to me that's finding a guy from the expansion draft. But I don't also understand why we'd need to split hairs about something like this.

I also don't see any downside with that strategy. The Kings for example aren't exposing anyone very interesting, so not a big loss if they take Bishop.

Playing competitive hockey puts butts on the seats and allows to you add more good players to your team. No player wants to join a team that's not even NHL quality. How difficult was it for Edmonton to add free agents before McDavid? Pretty much every player had Edmonton on their NTC as well. Of course you could also wait 15-20 years for the next McDavid and hope he lands on your team... But I wouldn't count on that.

They won't be a playoff team but they need to play competitive hockey. Having a trust-worthy #1G is the first step towards that. That's my opinion, you could have a different opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
    It's not a matter of them "taking" Bishop. They can't "take" Bishop, that's why it's definitely not the same thing. If Bishop were under contract, I'd be saying "F-ing A, do that!" It's not just splitting hairs on mine or anyone's part.

They have to not only offer a contract to Bishop, but they have to offer him a contract that he can't refuse, a contract that would compel him to sign with an expansion team prior to July 1st. For a team that will likely suck for a substantial part of that contract (if not the entirety). Breaking the bank on a FA goalie isn't going to make them competitive right away, even if that goalie were named Price or Holtby.

Again, it's not a simple disagreement, it's that what you're proposing doesn't seem realistic from the POV of either party.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Genius

Gotta think they won't have a clear cut starter but more of a 1A/B scenario with guys like Grubauer and Raanta unless Reimer is left exposed.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    It's not a matter of them "taking" Bishop. They can't "take" Bishop, that's why it's definitely not the same thing. If Bishop were under contract, I'd be saying "F-ing A, do that!" It's not just splitting hairs on mine or anyone's part.

They have to not only offer a contract to Bishop, but they have to offer him a contract that he can't refuse, a contract that would compel him to sign with an expansion team prior to July 1st. For a team that will likely suck for a substantial part of that contract (if not the entirety). Breaking the bank on a FA goalie isn't going to make them competitive right away, even if that goalie were named Price or Holtby.

Again, it's not a simple disagreement, it's that what you're proposing doesn't seem realistic from the POV of either party.
    You believe there's lots of teams interested in Bishop, I don't. I could be wrong, that's just my opinion. In my opinion, they don't need to offer anything ridiculous if other teams aren't offering him #1G money. And what's the harm in making an offer to Bishop? If he doesn't sign, then they choose another player from the Kings. Seems completely realistic to me. You disagree, that's fine.

Dobber Sports Jedi

maybe Dallas throws a 1st round pick at LV to take one of their goalies?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Every team has an honest chance to win against any team in the league. What are you even talking about? Colorado was abysmal this year. Dead last in the league for goals per game, goals against, PP%, and 29th in SH%. So might go out on a limb and say the best KHL team might beat them in a 7 game series. Maybe. Colorado beat Chicago twice this year, just saying.

Vegas won't be able to attract higher end Euro free agents. These guys can pick where they want to go and it won't be Vegas. Again, like the expansion draft....they'll get the litter pickings from that pool.

Im not trying to pick a fight Im just calling out everything you've posted in this thread cause I think it's bullshit. My opinion of course.
    I enjoy civil debates and I'm always willing to change my opinion if someone makes good arguments for their case but your behavior is nothing but civil and you haven't made any real arguments besides calling my opinions "bullshit" which is what people usually do when they're not smart enough to make good arguments, so I guess that case is closed then.

You're acting like your opinions are facts. You have your opinions on how Vegas should build their team and I have my opinions. My opinions are not facts and neither are yours. This seems to be too difficult for you to understand, so let me repeat: your opinions are not facts. We are all allowed to have our opinions and post our opinions, so calling other people's opinions "bullshit" is just childish.

You won't be able to bully me into agreeing with your opinions. If you want to make proper arguments as to why you think Vegas should build their team the way you want them to, then please go ahead and do that. But don't start attacking other people when they don't agree with you.

PS: Toronto was able to get Zaitsev last summer after they were the worst team in the league. Montreal was able to get Radulov after finishing 22nd in the league. European free agents don't always go to top teams, they're often looking for teams that can provide the best opportunity. But you're clearly not willing to listen to anything I'm saying, so I won't try getting this through to your head.

Dobber Sports Giant

Interesting move by the Avs... they said that they would protect Varly while exposing Pickard.

A brand new franchise may be temped to get a young, low-cost, goalie like Pickard (maybe as a backup at first). Pair him up with a guy like Darling or Raanta and you got an effective young crease at a fraction of the price. Meanwhile you can lure big name FA forwards with the extra $$ since most of the signed ones will be protected (Bobby Ryan may be the top forward unprotected IMO meaning their forward group will be mediocre from the draft alone). I think they can build a decent defensive core and get some good goalies from the expansion draft but they will need to find a way to lure some FA stars...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay