Page 14 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Any chance Cole will replace Jagr with Benn? Any opinions? Thanks!
    I think it's far more likely that Cole goes with Roy. Roy's lie can't afford to get softer. Maybe you see cole take the place of morrow but I'd guess he goes with Roy and Eriksson.
    I'm curious to see what will happen when Whitney comes back.

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
    Whitney-Roy-Cole

Maybe?

That would be sick news for me because I own Eriksson and Benn.

Speaking of which wtf Benn -6 this week so far. Did he actually go minus six with no points or did they just mix him and jordie up? Lol
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Any chance Cole will replace Jagr with Benn? Any opinions? Thanks!
    I don't see that happening this year or beyond. If Jagr moves on after this season, or goes down with an injury I would expect Eriksson to be the one to step into that role. Maybe if they move Morrow, and Cole can make the switch to LW, he might end up with Benn, but I just don't think it's likely. He's probably going to be on Roy's or Eakin's wing, and being on Roy's wing may hinge on Morrow's status after Whitney returns.

Could this Cole trade be foreshadowing Morrow's departure? Once Whitney returns, and he is skating so he's not far off, you'll have Morrow, Benn, Jagr, Whitney, Roy, Eriksson, and Cole all vying for spots in the top-six. And don't overlook all the kids who have been making their case for getting those minutes. In my opinion if Morrow hasn't been moved by the time Whtney comes back Cole is the odd man out, and likely plays with Eakin.

But even with that Cole could still hold some value. The Stars have been getting production up and down the lineup lately, and Eakin is a very good setup man. Cole may actually fare well with him, certainly not at the level he would in a top-six role, but not chopped liver either.

The days ahead in Big D look to be active and quite interesting. Maybe we'll finally see an identity for this team emerge.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think it's far more likely that Cole goes with Roy. Roy's lie can't afford to get softer. Maybe you see cole take the place of morrow but I'd guess he goes with Roy and Eriksson.
    I'm curious to see what will happen when Whitney comes back.

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
    Whitney-Roy-Cole

Maybe?

That would be sick news for me because I own Eriksson and Benn.

Speaking of which wtf Benn -6 this week so far. Did he actually go minus six with no points or did they just mix him and jordie up? Lol
    No he actually did. He was just off positionally on defense a few times himself and the team as a whole had plenty of defensive letdowns which contributed to that minus-6. And no Amazing Kari to perform incredible feats of prestidigitation to yank their collective asses out of the fire.

I do think at this point Cole is 50/50 at least to be with Eakin to start. Morrow has really stepped up his game of late. And if they are actively looking to move him he's in the best position to maximize the return right where he is now.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I should rephrase that comment about Cole. In my mind he's likely to be with Eakin once Whitney returns unless a trade opens a top-six spot. Right now he should slot in with Roy, but that means either Eriksson flips back to left-wing or Cole slots in there.

It's still not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Gulutzan keeps Loui in this natural right-wing spot and continues to roll with one of the kids on the left and slots Cole on Eakin's line. But I think in the short term Cole plays on one of Roy's wings.

Hey, NWO, how long are you expecting Roussel to stay up? And what's his long term viability in a multi cat league w/hits and PIM?

Thanks, brother.
    @SmittysRant

The Magnificent One

will cole get any PP time in Dallas?

i have cole and i am always excited when players go to new teams. i think from what you are all saying either way cole is going to be on a decent line. ofcourse if its 3rd line his mins bcome limited so thats never good but playing with eakin doesnt seem so bad as this kid has been amazing.

otherwise we see him with 2 of roy, eriksson, jagr or benn. and most likely roy/eriksson. sounds good to me.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hey, NWO, how long are you expecting Roussel to stay up? And what's his long term viability in a multi cat league w/hits and PIM?

Thanks, brother.
    At this point I think he's safe for a while. Fraser is the one I expect to be sent back down first. There is some uncertainty about how active the Stars are going be on the trade market so how that plays out may change things quickly for him.

The other half of your question comes down to league size. In deep multi cat leagues I think he has real value long term. Teams always need agitators and he fills that role quite well. At every level he's been good for some huge PIM numbers. The downside is he tends to take some bad penalties which lands him in the doghouse. He's already been sent back to Austin once this season because of it, but it did seem to get his attention and he's been even better since returning to Big D.

Shallower leagues not so much as he doesn't really project as an offensive threat. He did show some hints during his time in QMJHL, but until this year he showed nothing offensively in the AHL. He may be a late bloomer in that regard, but don't bet the farm on it.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    will cole get any PP time in Dallas?

i have cole and i am always excited when players go to new teams. i think from what you are all saying either way cole is going to be on a decent line. ofcourse if its 3rd line his mins bcome limited so thats never good but playing with eakin doesnt seem so bad as this kid has been amazing.

otherwise we see him with 2 of roy, eriksson, jagr or benn. and most likely roy/eriksson. sounds good to me.
    During his hot streak, Ryder was with Eakin for the most part, and he was getting time on PP2. I don't see any reason why Cole won't get that same opportunity on the powerplay.

Here's a quote from Gulutzan that may shed some light on where Cole fits in....

Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said he’s been doing his homework on Cole, which included a chat with Ray Whitney, who played with Cole in Carolina.

“He’s a big, strong guy that likes to go to the net,” said Gulutzan. “He plays hard, gives us size, speed and strength. That will be a nice acquisition for us.”

Cole is a left shot who plays right wing. Gulutzan said he’s mulling over the options of where Cole might fit in with the forward group, but he wouldn’t reveal specifics yet.

“I’ve got some ideas and I am going to sit down and think about it,” he said. “I would guess the right side.
    That's the key right there, right side. Loui started the season out playing on Roy's left-wing. We all know how that worked out for Loui. His game has started improving since he was moved back over to the right. With that in mind unless Gulutzan wants to roll the dice again and try Loui on the left one more time, Cole likely plays with Eakin. As Ryder showed that's far from a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    At this point I think he's safe for a while. Fraser is the one I expect to be sent back down first. There is some uncertainty about how active the Stars are going be on the trade market so how that plays out may change things quickly for him.

The other half of your question comes down to league size. In deep multi cat leagues I think he has real value long term. Teams always need agitators and he fills that role quite well. At every level he's been good for some huge PIM numbers. The downside is he tends to take some bad penalties which lands him in the doghouse. He's already been sent back to Austin once this season because of it, but it did seem to get his attention and he's been even better since returning to Big D.

Shallower leagues not so much as he doesn't really project as an offensive threat. He did show some hints during his time in QMJHL, but until this year he showed nothing offensively in the AHL. He may be a late bloomer in that regard, but don't bet the farm on it.
    Good to know...was just trying to get a feel for where he might be drafted (if at all) next year. But it sounds as though I can take a flyer in a later round or possibly just WW.

Solid info...thanks!
    @SmittysRant

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Cool - thanks. Yeah the next week or so should give us a better indication on how he'll produce across the board. Point-wise, assuming he's still given plenty of PP opportunity (we'll see what happens when Benn returns) I'd be quite happy if he could get another 20 points for the rest of the season (22 in 48 - 37 over a full season). Time will tell.
    I'd say 20 is possible but maybe the high end. He's only had a 30+ pace twice in his career, albeit not that far back, but I'd expect closer to 15 the rest of the way.
    Just thought I'd revisit this to ask how Robidas has been looking so far this season. Production-wise, I was getting worried due to his 9 game pointless streak after the opening game, but lately he's been a lot better and now has 9 points in 20 games (~22 shortened season pace, ~37 over full season). However, that's just production - how's he playing and do you feel he's pretty secure on the PP? 3 PP out of 9 total is decent as well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

OK. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Do you think Jagr will lose any PP time when Whitney comes back.. is there a ETA on Whitney..and will his return help Jagr?

I ask these questions as Jagr (27 gms left starting March2) is one of 6 guys I could drop from my pool team and he has really slowed down lately (the others..Pominville-27, M.Koivu, Gabby, B.Richards and Nash-all with 29 games left. If I drop/add the right guy I could sneak into the money.
    I see last year Jagr PPG went down each 1/4, so did Pominville's, but hard to determine anything from that this year.
    So I'll come right out and ask...would you drop Jagr or one of the others..pts (1-g/1-a) only March 2 to end of year? Thanks.

I don't see that happening this year or beyond. If Jagr moves on after this season, or goes down with an injury I would expect Eriksson to be the one to step into that role. Maybe if they move Morrow, and Cole can make the switch to LW, he might end up with Benn, but I just don't think it's likely. He's probably going to be on Roy's or Eakin's wing, and being on Roy's wing may hinge on Morrow's status after Whitney returns.

Could this Cole trade be foreshadowing Morrow's departure? Once Whitney returns, and he is skating so he's not far off, you'll have Morrow, Benn, Jagr, Whitney, Roy, Eriksson, and Cole all vying for spots in the top-six. And don't overlook all the kids who have been making their case for getting those minutes. In my opinion if Morrow hasn't been moved by the time Whtney comes back Cole is the odd man out, and likely plays with Eakin.

But even with that Cole could still hold some value. The Stars have been getting production up and down the lineup lately, and Eakin is a very good setup man. Cole may actually fare well with him, certainly not at the level he would in a top-six role, but not chopped liver either.

The days ahead in Big D look to be active and quite interesting. Maybe we'll finally see an identity for this team emerge.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just thought I'd revisit this to ask how Robidas has been looking so far this season. Production-wise, I was getting worried due to his 9 game pointless streak after the opening game, but lately he's been a lot better and now has 9 points in 20 games (~22 shortened season pace, ~37 over full season). However, that's just production - how's he playing and do you feel he's pretty secure on the PP? 3 PP out of 9 total is decent as well.
    He's been the rock for the Stars on defense. He's a team leading plus-8 so far and in addition to being the leader on defense he's also been a top-notch mentor for Brenden Dillon. I think he's secure on the powerplay for the foreseeable future. At worst he finds himself on the second unit, but he should continue to get time on the powerplay.

Dobber Sports Wizard

OK. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Do you think Jagr will lose any PP time when Whitney comes back.. is there a ETA on Whitney..and will his return help Jagr?

I ask these questions as Jagr (27 gms left starting March2) is one of 6 guys I could drop from my pool team and he has really slowed down lately (the others..Pominville-27, M.Koivu, Gabby, B.Richards and Nash-all with 29 games left. If I drop/add the right guy I could sneak into the money.
    I see last year Jagr PPG went down each 1/4, so did Pominville's, but hard to determine anything from that this year.
    So I'll come right out and ask...would you drop Jagr or one of the others..pts (1-g/1-a) only March 2 to end of year? Thanks.
    I don't think Whitney's return will have any affect on Jagr's powerplay time. He's pretty well set as part of the first unit. If anybody were to be bumped off the first unit to make room for Ray I feel it would be Morrow. The more likely scenario, in my mind, is Trevor Daley sees less powerplay time and Whitney goes on the second unit.

On the other question, about will Ray's return help Jagr, I don't see it having any direct affect good or bad on Jagr right now. I think when he's ready to go Whitney is going to be on Roy's wing, unless Morrow is out of the picture via injury, trade, or his play goes back in the tank.

Reports are that Ray has been skating and has had limited participation in optional workouts over the last few days. No official timeline yet from the team, but figure he's 10-14 days away as a safe guess.

If it were me I'd cut bait on Pominville. The Stars are starting to hit their stride, and Jagr has good, even great(Benn), linemates so I think he'll be fine. He may have these hot and cold patches, but when he's on he's still damn good, and a better bet for production than Pominville.

Dobber Sports Wizard

And the word out of Dallas is Cole will be on the Eakin line tonight. Gulutzan wants to take another look at the combo of Roussel, Roy, and Eriksson. Also yesterday he said he pictured Cole lining up on the right-wing so with Loui and Jagr in those spots in the top-six he was pretty much destined for this assignment. The numbers seem to say it's not the end of the world though.

Kind of intriguing that Roussel is getting another go in the top-six. I'm a big proponent of the rookie, I have him in my deep dynasty league, but I never envisioned him as more than a third liner at best. Might have to find a way to work him into my lineup tonight, would hate to miss out again if he repeats his performance from the other night.

Here's Mark Stepneski's morning skate update....

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/02/2...ith-and-eakin/

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Stars have sent Matt Fraser back to the AHL. No word yet on who might be getting a callup, but since this move leaves Dallas with just 12 healthy forwards you would have to think one is coming.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=657941