Poll: How does the 2012-13 draft class stack up (ignoring the 1st overall picks)

Thread: Grade this year's draft class

Banned

Default Grade this year's draft class

Every season has some good players available in the 1st round, and often some steals and sleepers in the later rounds as well but I'm always interested to hear how people rate a given season's draft class compared to previous years.

Lets make this extra interesting too, because the first overall is almost always a guaranteed stud and a no brainer if you happen to have that pick so lets eliminate the 1st overall from the discussion and just judge based on the quality of prospects after that. All comments welcome.

Dobber Sports Expert

Not much high end talent after the top5 IMO.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Not much high end talent after the top5 IMO.
    do you think that's unusual? I find that's often the case that the top 5 or so are solid picks and then it drops off a bit...but sometimes its a sharp dropoff and sometimes its not and you get a lot of quality (but perhaps not top tier) prospects available

Dobber Sports Monster

I think the draft ( 1st / 2nd round anyway) is chalk full of superb talent overall. Lot's of these kids will play significant roles with their respective teams, maybe not superstar status but for sure play key roles on their teams.

My favorite picks were:

-Teravainen falling to the Blackhawks

-Fournier in 2nd round to Blackhawks

-Grigorenko going to Buffalo and then Buffalo getting Girgensons

- Jets getting Trouba ( very excited about him )

- Koekkoek to the Lightning.

- Subban to Boston, with Rask. I think that's gonna be a beast of a duo before long.

- Jake McCabe with Buffalo.

Speaking of Buffalo I LOVE the kids they drafted. Huge upsides.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    do you think that's unusual? I find that's often the case that the top 5 or so are solid picks and then it drops off a bit...but sometimes its a sharp dropoff and sometimes its not and you get a lot of quality (but perhaps not top tier) prospects available
    Should have phrase it better. I feel that there is quite a drop off after the top5 in talent wise, especially at forward. There is a lot of good two-way defenseman in the 2012 draft (Lindholm,Murray,Ceci,Trouba,Koekkoek) but outside of Morgan Rielly there is any defenseman with a real PP QB potential. Maybe Dumba if he ever get it together.

Yakupov,Galchenyuk,Grigorenko,Forsberg and Teraivanen are the only 5 forward that I feel have first line upside. Not the best draft fantasy wise IMO.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    I think the draft ( 1st / 2nd round anyway) is chalk full of superb talent overall. Lot's of these kids will play significant roles with their respective teams, maybe not superstar status but for sure play key roles on their teams.

My favorite picks were:

-Teravainen falling to the Blackhawks

-Fournier in 2nd round to Blackhawks

-Grigorenko going to Buffalo and then Buffalo getting Girgensons

- Jets getting Trouba ( very excited about him )

- Koekkoek to the Lightning.

- Subban to Boston, with Rask. I think that's gonna be a beast of a duo before long.

- Jake McCabe with Buffalo.

Speaking of Buffalo I LOVE the kids they drafted. Huge upsides.
    If we are talking purely about hockey, the draft was a good one. Fantasy wise, I really disgress with you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    If we are talking purely about hockey, the draft was a good one. Fantasy wise, I really disgress with you.
    yeah to clarify, I meant this solely in terms of fantasy options

Dobber Sports Monster

yeah to clarify, I meant this solely in terms of fantasy options
    Ahh duh on me sorry boys!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Ahh duh on me sorry boys!!
    naw its all good to hear your thoughts on their real world value too

Dobber Sports Sage

In all honesty I think this is going to end up as one of the worst draft classes in the last 20 years. I also think that the teams drafting did an absolutly brutal job of evaluating the talent. Teravainen, Grigs and Forsberg all should have gone much higher imo. I think alot of the D-men were being extreamly over rated and am not impressed with many of them outside of 4 or 5. Mark my words Teravainen becomes the steal of this draft. 2013-2014 looks to be the best in a long time imo.... I voted D+ BTW
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; January 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    In all honesty I think this is going to end up as one of the worst draft classes in the last 20 years. I also think that the teams drafting did an absolutly brutal job of evaluating the talent. Teravainen, Grigs and Forsberg all should have gone much higher imo. I think alot of the D-men were being extreamly over rated and am not impressed with many of them outside of 4 or 5. Mark my words Teravainen becomes the steal of this draft. 2013-2014 looks to be the best in a long time imo.... I voted D+ BTW
    really? I think that's going too far...I tend to share Shakes' take on it, that its a much better 'real-world' value than fantasy. I see lots of strong intangibles and toughness in this group. Sometimes those are the guys that wind up having Shanahan-type careers

Dobber Sports Stud

I wonder if there's a tendancy among poolies to underestimate the value of defense heavy drafts, especially when some of the high selections are very responsible defensively.

I see the 2012 draft playing out something like the 2008 draft.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This thread title is a little misleading. If by "This Year" you mean 2012 then it's incorrect. This year would be the 2013 Draft Class....

Anywho,

I would grade it as a B, no more, no less.

Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Rielly, Dumba, Ceci and Teravainen all have the potential to become very good fantasy assets (from a pure production level) but after that the talent drops off to "solid fantasy assets" including the likes of Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, Trouba, Lindholm, Ceci and so on.

I think where this draft class did well was in the goaltending area. I have little doubt that Vasilevski becomes a stud while Subban, Dansk, Murray and Stolarz have promising upside.

I also like a lot of the post 1st round picks too: Finn (TOR), McCabe (BUF), Aberg (NSH), Collberg (MTL), Bozon (MTL), Kosmachuk (WPG), Vesey (NSH), Richard (TBL), Hudon (MTL), Griffith (BOS), C. Brown (TOR), Djoos (WSH), among many others.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; January 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Dobber Sports Sage

really? I think that's going too far...I tend to share Shakes' take on it, that its a much better 'real-world' value than fantasy. I see lots of strong intangibles and toughness in this group. Sometimes those are the guys that wind up having Shanahan-type careers
    Your right I was bored... I don't like the draft class (as a hole) very much all the same.. Over done a little? probably!

Besides you asaked for Fantasy not real world right!!! and you said Yakupov doesn't exsist lol...
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; January 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    This thread title is a little misleading. If by "This Year" you mean 2012 then it's incorrect. This year would be the 2013 Draft Class....
    haha, you are correct sir, but how often does this happen that we are talking about the current season starting when its no longer the same year as the draft?