Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Were these 4 trades good or bad for my team?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Were these 4 trades good or bad for my team?

I took over a team that came 12/15 in a all pts keeper league team. 24 player roster. 1 pt for goal 1 pt for assist 2 pt for goalie win 1 pt for shut out. We have 2 drafts per year. One before start of season and another half way through and it is mandatory to drop 5 players but can drop as much as we like after that. Last team gets 1st overall pick. $25 entry every year. Top 3 places get paid.

Position Keep the Best
    Forwards 12
    Defencemen 4
    Goalies 1
    Total players kept 17

I took over this team on someone that dropped out. This is what the team looked like when I first took it over.

Alex Ovechkin (F)
    Ray Whitney (F)
    Dustin Brown (F)
    David Clarkson (F)
    Kyle Okposo (F)
    Kyle Brodziak (F)
    Todd Bertuzzi (F)
    Antoine Vermette (F)
    David Bolland (F)
    Brendan Morrow (F)
    Tomas Holmstrom (F)
    Nicklas Hagman (F)
    Justin Abdelkader (F)
    Luke Adam (F)
    Cody Eakin (F)

Mikael Gragnani (D)
    Sheldon Souray (D)
    Tyler Myers (D)
    Lubomir Visnovsky (D)
    Nikita Nikitin (D)
    Ryan McDonagh (D)
    David Jones (D)

Carey Price (G)
    Pekka Rinne (G)

Come draft time I didn't get to do much research because I was working a lot and thought I would just drop a couple guys and try to contend for next season. I had 4th overall pick and got Justin Schultz. After the draft I realize I better blow up the ship and re build because I really didn't like my team as a whole.

Trade #1: I traded Pekka Rinne for Marian Gaborik (In heinsight this was a stupid STUPID trade)

Trade #2: I traded Alex Ovechkin,Marian Gaborik,Dustin Brown for Jonathan Huberdeau, Sean Couturier,Dougie Hamilton

Trade #3: I traded Carey Price for Mark Scheifele

Trade #4: I traded Justin Schults for Mikhail Grigorenko

Since I came last place I will get the 1st overall selection in the draft coming up here very soon and I will be going with Nathan MacKinnon. I know I should have had a plan going into last years draft because if I did my research and knew what I was doing because I lost out on guys like Evgeny Kuznetsov and Vladimir Tarasenko (I have been out of the loop on prospects for so long and just now I am doing tonnes of research and realize I missed the boat on those 2 guys).

But here is what I am left with. I am thinking a 3-5 year plan and hope to get the #1 overall pick for another 2-3 years at least to help rebuild.

Keep List

Jonathan Huberdeau: Forward – Florida Panthers
    Sean Couturier: Forward – Philadelphia Flyers
    Mikhail Grigorenko: Forward – Buffalo Sabres
    Mark Scheifele: Forward – Winnipeg Jets
    Teuvo Teravainen: Forward – Chicago Blackhawks
    Dougie Hamilton: Defenseman – Boston Blackhawks
    Morgan Rielly: Defenseman – Toronto Maple Leafs
    Tyler Myers: Defenseman – Buffalo Sabres
    Jacob Markstrom: Goalie – Florida Panthers

Drop List

Ray Whitney: Forward – Dallas Stars
    Magnus Paajarvi: Forward – St Louis Blues
    Brendan Morrow: Forward – Pittsburgh Penguins
    Kyle Okposo: Forward – New York Islanders
    Joshua Bailey: Forward – New York Islanders
    Nikita Filatov: Forward – Unknown
    David Bolland: Forward – Toronto Maple Leafs
    Guillame Latendresse: Forward – Ottawa Senators
    Mattias Tedenby: Forward – New Jersey Devils
    Akim Aliu: Forward – Calgary Flames
    Ryan Wilson: Defenseman – Colorado Avalanche
    Travis Hamonic: Defenseman – New York Islanders
    Lubomir Visnovsky: Defenseman – New York Islanders
    Erik Johnson: Defenseman – Colorado Avalanche
    Brandon Gormley: Defenseman – Phoenix Coyotes

Any feed back or tips would be appreciated!
    Last edited by StuntMan12; September 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM.

The Great One

You've already posted these trades some time ago, and you already know they were all brutal. You don't need to ask feedback on them again.

In a keep 17, you plan on keeping 9 and dropping the rest?

It's very difficult to take this post seriously.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Trade#1 - Bad
    Trade #2 - Bad
    Trade #3 - VERY Bad
    Trade #4 - VERY Bad
    12 team, yahoo H2H Daily starts, keep 10
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SHP,SOG. W,SV%,SV,GAA,SHO
    2C,2LW,2RW,1Util,4D,2G
    C-RNH,
    LW-Benn,Kane, Drouin
    RW-Kessel,Ovechkin, Simmonds
    D-
    G-Lundqvist, Howard Gibson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default longtime rebuild

the only trade i like here is#4 and even that is questionable just because you didn't have much for D-men to begin with.

I would have kept Hamonic over Myers.

You got some good young players and propects but it's gonna take a while for the team to compete.
    I would have kept a couple of veterens just to be able to compete.
    A couple of those guys you have may not make their teams roster this year like Reilly and Terevainen.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    the only trade i like here is#4 and even that is questionable just because you didn't have much for D-men to begin with.

I would have kept Hamonic over Myers.

You got some good young players and propects but it's gonna take a while for the team to compete.
    I would have kept a couple of veterens just to be able to compete.
    A couple of those guys you have may not make their teams roster this year like Reilly and Terevainen.
    Why would I want to compete this year? I'm hoping on coming last so I get the 1st overall pick. This year I'm getting Nathan MacKinnon and next year if I come last maybe Same Reinhart.

Eek. No offense but those trades are awful. You traded Rinne and Price? Ouch.
    I think you could have gotten a LOT more for your second trade. Ovechkin on his own would bring in a bundle.
    I would suggest that if you are hoping to compete, you should stick to your plan of rebuilding and not make any trades. Personally, I would keep Paajarvi and Visnosvky as well if you have the option to do so.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    Eek. No offense but those trades are awful. You traded Rinne and Price? Ouch.
    I think you could have gotten a LOT more for your second trade. Ovechkin on his own would bring in a bundle.
    I would suggest that if you are hoping to compete, you should stick to your plan of rebuilding and not make any trades. Personally, I would keep Paajarvi and Visnosvky as well if you have the option to do so.
    Thats what I stated in op. I got told I was taking over a team a couple days before draft and was working those days right before draft so didn't really prepare. But then after the draft I blew up ship and figured my team is a good 3-4 years to competing anyways so I traded Ovechkin,Gabby,Brown for some good young prospects. I really don't care if I get any points this year because for the next 2-3 years I am going for the 1st overall pick to get the best guy out of each years draft

I see the other managers don't really get 18,19 year old prospects because everyone is in there to win that year.
    Last edited by StuntMan12; September 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan712 View Post
    Why would I want to compete ...if I come last maybe Same Reinhart.
    I repeat, very hard to take this seriously.

Thats what I stated in op. I got told I was taking over a team a couple days before draft and was working those days right before draft so didn't really prepare. But then after the draft I blew up ship and figured my team is a good 3-4 years to competing anyways so I traded Ovechkin,Gabby,Brown for some good young prospects. I really don't care if I get any points this year because for the next 2-3 years I am going for the 1st overall pick to get the best guy out of each years draft

I see the other managers don't really get 18,19 year old prospects because everyone is in there to win that year.
    I understand that. But I think you severely misjudged which players should have been dealt from your team. Guys like Vermette, Hagman, Bertuzzi and Holmstrom are no-brainers to be dropped, but you could have auctioned Ovechkin off and gotten quite the package in return. In my keeper pool, if someone publicly offered up Ovechkin, he'd very likely get a lot of substantial offers. The only way I would ever think Ovechkin as part of a package would be a good idea would be if a Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos were coming back as part of a similar package.

You could have gotten picks/prospects back in exchange for Rinne/Price - don't see why both of them needed to be traded. Markstrom is well-touted, but there's no guarantee he'll develop into a goalie of Rinne's calibre. I would not have dropped Visnovsky or Paarjavi - each has definite value.

Personally, I would have dropped the irrelevant players and been patient when considering who to deal. I also would have traded the more valuable players (Ovechkin/Rinne/Price/Gaborik/Schultz) individually, if I had traded any at all. Even if you auctioned say, Ovechkin, Price and Gaborik, you probably could have gotten a plethora of prospects/picks. Might not have needed to trade Rinne and Schultz so you could have kept an elite goalie and boosted your defense with an offensive guy like Schultz.

Honestly in 3 years from now (when youre hoping to win)

I would rather have Ovechkin/Price/Schultz/Rinne/Brown
    than
    Huberdeau/Couturier/Hamilton/Schiefele/Grigorenko

There are so many young players and players even 5-6 years older than your new recruits who will still perform better than huberdeau/hamilton/schiefele and those guys
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Honestly in 3 years from now (when youre hoping to win)

I would rather have Ovechkin/Price/Schultz/Rinne/Brown
    than
    Huberdeau/Couturier/Hamilton/Schiefele/Grigorenko

There are so many young players and players even 5-6 years older than your new recruits who will still perform better than huberdeau/hamilton/schiefele and those guys
    But with losing comes 1st overall picks and guys like MacKinnon,Reinhart?,McDavid?

Dobber Sports Expert

If your team was a gun, you would have killed someone by now.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    I understand that. But I think you severely misjudged which players should have been dealt from your team. Guys like Vermette, Hagman, Bertuzzi and Holmstrom are no-brainers to be dropped, but you could have auctioned Ovechkin off and gotten quite the package in return. In my keeper pool, if someone publicly offered up Ovechkin, he'd very likely get a lot of substantial offers. The only way I would ever think Ovechkin as part of a package would be a good idea would be if a Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos were coming back as part of a similar package.

You could have gotten picks/prospects back in exchange for Rinne/Price - don't see why both of them needed to be traded. Markstrom is well-touted, but there's no guarantee he'll develop into a goalie of Rinne's calibre. I would not have dropped Visnovsky or Paarjavi - each has definite value.

Personally, I would have dropped the irrelevant players and been patient when considering who to deal. I also would have traded the more valuable players (Ovechkin/Rinne/Price/Gaborik/Schultz) individually, if I had traded any at all. Even if you auctioned say, Ovechkin, Price and Gaborik, you probably could have gotten a plethora of prospects/picks. Might not have needed to trade Rinne and Schultz so you could have kept an elite goalie and boosted your defense with an offensive guy like Schultz.
    #1. I told everyone that Ovechkin was on the table and the only offers I got at first was Tarasenko. The guy I traded Ovechkin was the only guy with 3 very good prospects.

#2. I offered Ovechkin,Gaborik and or Brown for Stamkos and the guy said he would never trade Stamkos. I felt my options were running thin and the guy I traded with was the only guy with good young guys.

#3. We can't trade picks in our pool

I know I made some mistakes but I think overall my trade with Ovechkin was needed and I like the trade. With drafting guys like MacKinnon,Reinhart?,McDavid and other top prospects coming up I will have a team that may come together at the right time and have a strong team for maybe 10 years. I know I made some mistakes but with the draft I believe I can recoup my losses

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I repeat, very hard to take this seriously.
    You have a hard time understanding simple concepts? Tanking to get 1st overall picks and 2-3 years from now they will start to get the pts rolling. Are you a teenager? Hard to take you seriously tbh

#1. I told everyone that Ovechkin was on the table and the only offers I got at first was Tarasenko. The guy I traded Ovechkin was the only guy with 3 very good prospects.

#2. I offered Ovechkin,Gaborik and or Brown for Stamkos and the guy said he would never trade Stamkos. I felt my options were running thin and the guy I traded with was the only guy with good young guys.

#3. We can't trade picks in our pool

I know I made some mistakes but I think overall my trade with Ovechkin was needed and I like the trade. With drafting guys like MacKinnon,Reinhart?,McDavid and other top prospects coming up I will have a team that may come together at the right time and have a strong team for maybe 10 years. I know I made some mistakes but with the draft I believe I can recoup my losses

Sounds like your competition low-balled you, BIG-TIME for Ovechkin. Why not hold onto him for the coming season and possibly offer him up at a trade deadline (if you have one)? I don't understand the haste to deal a talent like him. Did you have to trade Ovechkin?

You offered Ovechkin, Gaborik and Brown just for Stamkos...??? I don't understand that at all.