Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Olli Maatta

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Olli Maatta

Am I the only one that thinks that this guy is going to absolutely explode to end the season? I went out of my way to roster him. With the absence of Letang and all the talent he's gone up against at the NHL level and the Olympics I'm thinking top ten D man for these last months...unless those prime offensive stats go to Niskanen the way it has been but I think Maatta is ready to assume more offensive responsibilities now.
    HOCKEY 12-Team Yahoo H2H Non-Keeper
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits...W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C Crosby, Spezza, Kuznetsov (LW)
    LW Landeskog, Pacioretty, Henrique (C)
    RW Wheeler, Vanek (LW), Downie (LW)
    D Carlson, Barrie, Vatanen, Muzzin, Parayko
    G Rinne, F.Andersen, Niemi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

you're right ryan maybe a 70-point player for the remainder of his career. But in my experiencein fantasy hockey you never get anything without taking a chance.I've lost out on other high End dmen because I didn't take a chance. We all would love to see the future but sometimes we have to rely on instincts.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by punkasss View Post
    you're right ryan maybe a 70-point player for the remainder of his career. But in my experiencein fantasy hockey you never get anything without taking a chance.I've lost out on other high End dmen because I didn't take a chance. We all would love to see the future but sometimes we have to rely on instincts.
    Totally agree buddy! As for the chance and instincts part, make sure to evaluate every situation fully and from different perspectives in order to give your the best CHANCES at a positive outcome. There will most likely be a risk/reward in every scenario; just make sure that if you do take that ''risk'', it's a CALCULATED one!

Best of luck
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As it stands my keepers were going to be Crosby Backstrom Getzlaf Letang Quick Sekera Voynov and Carlson. Now Matta makes it only 2 of the 3 d listed not named Letang. So u see Ryan could not have been a keeper for me. 23 man roster, start 9F 5D 1G, strictly points...g a PPP gwg shg sog W SO

Dobber Sports Legend

Another PP goal and assist for Maatta tonight. Now has 7G and 25Pts. in 58GP - not too shabby for a rook.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Another PP goal and assist for Maatta tonight. Now has 7G and 25Pts. in 58GP - not too shabby for a rook.
    ....and the second most D ice time with 21:41.

Playing his way into being a serious Calder candidate.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by BDog View Post
    ....and the second most D ice time with 21:41.

Playing his way into being a serious Calder candidate.
    So why does Pit not give this guy more time on the pp? 8+ min for Niskanen tonight against Chicago and he generated nil...no creativity shown. Maata about 1+ min... I know Niskanen has had a career year but Maata has shown more flashes of skill IMO.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by punkasss View Post
    So why does Pit not give this guy more time on the pp? 8+ min for Niskanen tonight against Chicago and he generated nil...no creativity shown. Maata about 1+ min... I know Niskanen has had a career year but Maata has shown more flashes of skill IMO.
    I think the Pens might be worried about burning the kid out. At 19yrs of age and never going through the rigors of an NHL season they would be prudent to limit his minutes. In saying that I think the injuries the Pens have suffered on the back end have forced them into playing more and more and he's just continuing to exceed expectations.

Two more goals in SJ last night with one on the PP. Anyone else think that this kid is a serious contender for the Calder?

Edit: I still believe that it's going to MacKinnon. Anytime you break one of Gretzky's records (points in consecutive games by an 18yr old - 13 and counting) you have pretty much locked it up.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Well you bring up a valid point: HYPE. A lot of talk is going around about Maatta. The kid is a real solid D-Man. Great all-around game and he plays with alot of confidence, especially at such a young age. That being said, he is no Karlsson in regards to a points-only league. He will get points from his smart positioning and from the fact that the Pens are just a scoring threat on every shift (assists here and there), but he is not a coast-to-coast D with a blistering shot that is solely focused on scoring.

I see him as a 45 point D at best, whereas I feel Ryan can be a 40-30 player on a consistent basis. It really depends on how your league values those types of players.

If you can get a Pomminville or Hodgson player as well, then I feel the return is warranted for Ryan. If it's just Maatta and a filler, then I would stand pat with Ryan.
    Hype is right. Yes he is a very good young player, but the amount of hype surrounding him is starting to get a little silly. I've been watching Penguins broadcasts on Centre Ice, and the crushes that the local colour guys have on Maata is embarrassing.....they literally talk about him for half of the game, and last game they started comparing him to Lindstrom, lol........it's a little early for that. If you can cash in on the hype and land some top assets back, then I say do it.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon