Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Team CAN at selection camp

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Team CAN at selection camp

- - - Updated - - -

Bob McKenzie‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie
    Those who attended Team CAN WJC summer camp but not invited to final camp: Goalies Dylan Wells (EDM) and Stuart Skinner (EDM); D-men Nic Hague (VGK) and David Quenneville (NYI).
    Forwards not going to final camp who were invited to summer camp: Will Bitten (MTL), Matthew Phillips (CGY), Cliff Pu (BUF), Michael Rasmussen (DET), Mason Shaw (MIN), Givani Smith (DET), Owen Tippett (FLA), Adam Mascherin (FLA), Tyler Benson (VAN), Gabe Vilardi (LA).
    Goalies going to final camp who weren’t at summer camp: Samuel Harvey (undrafted) of Rouyn-Noranda and Colton Point (DAL) of Colgate University. Mario Ferraro (SJ) of UMass-Amherst the only D attending camp who wasn’t invited in summer.
    Forwards not at summer camp but making final selection camp: Drake Batherson (OTT) of Cape Breton, Maxime Comtois (ANA) of Victoriaville, Alex Formenton (OTT) of London, Tyler Steenbergen (ARI) of Swift Current.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Team CAN at selection camp

So, Owen Tippett and Nic Hague are not even on the final camp. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Michael Rasmussen was also very close to starting the season in Detroit, so he's another surprise to me. And I guess Cliff Pu and Adam Mascherin are surprises as well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm quite shocked Jonathan Ang was invited over Tippet and Mascherin. I also thought Will Bitten had a good chance to at least make the camp, he's looked great for the Bulldogs and can play up and down any lineup.
    Everything I've read about Hague indicates that he's really stepped up his game this year. He's almost reached his goal and assist totals from the past two years in less than half the games played.

I'm guessing the Steelheads awful performance so far this year really hurt Tippet and Hague's stock in the eyes of the deciders.

I like having Colton Point make it this far. It'd be nice to get a better idea of how he'd play against more talented players than he's used to.

Dobber Sports Deity

Cliff Pu is a surprise. He looked really good this past summer at the Summit Series.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    So, Owen Tippett and Nic Hague are not even on the final camp. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Michael Rasmussen was also very close to starting the season in Detroit, so he's another surprise to me. And I guess Cliff Pu and Adam Mascherin are surprises as well.
    I don’t know much myself but I’ve read many scout say Tippett shouldn’t be invited. He will likely next year. It’s a 19 year old tournament for the most part

excited to see if formenton and Batherson can make it. Batherson is Impressive

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    I don’t know much myself but I’ve read many scout say Tippett shouldn’t be invited. He will likely next year. It’s a 19 year old tournament for the most part
    Tippett could be playing in the NHL next season. They do have a few 18-year-olds in there as well: Comtois, Formenton, Glass, Suzuki and Thomas at forward and DiPietro in goal. Tippett made the Panthers to start the season, so it can't be just about his age.

Morgan Frost is another surprise non-selection. Do they have something against OHL players? Tippett, Hague, Pu, Mascherin and Frost are all from the OHL. And Will Bitten as well.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Tippett could be playing in the NHL next season. They do have a few 18-year-olds in there as well: Comtois, Formenton, Glass, Suzuki and Thomas at forward and DiPietro in goal. Tippett made the Panthers to start the season, so it can't be just about his age.

Morgan Frost is another surprise non-selection. Do they have something against OHL players? Tippett, Hague, Pu, Mascherin and Frost are all from the OHL. And Will Bitten as well.
    Q coach have anything to do with it?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Q coach have anything to do with it?
    I hope not...

One way or another, isn't there like a whole committee to choose the players invited? Surely more than one person (the coach) has a say?
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm just waiting for them to struggle to score in the first game or two and everyone to question why he got left off.
    The forward core still looks like it's going to be very solid though.

I was also surprised that Pu got left off too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    I hope not...

One way or another, isn't there like a whole committee to choose the players invited? Surely more than one person (the coach) has a say?
    normally, these teams are predominantly OHL player are they not? That's where my comment comes from

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    normally, these teams are predominantly OHL player are they not? That's where my comment comes from
    Yeah I figured that out, I just hope it's not some lame reason like where the coach is from that is at the bottom of it.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    Yeah I figured that out, I just hope it's not some lame reason like where the coach is from that is at the bottom of it.
    I remember hicketts getting 25min a game a few years ago.. his WHL coach, was Coach Canada.

The Great One

League

OHL: 9 Forwards, 2 Defenders, 1 Goalie
    WHL: 7 Forwards, 5 Defenders, 1 Goalie
    QMJHL: 2 Forwards, 0 Defenders, 1 Goalie
    NCAA: 0 Forwards, 3 Defenders, 1 Goalie

The Great One

Dubois and Girard would have been with the team.....Q players

Dobber Sports Veteran

Victor Mete to join Team Canada's Selection Camp ahead of World Juniors

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/m...mp/c-293897554

"We've made the decision to allow Victor Mete to join Team Canada's Selection Camp to give him an opportunity to participate in a very beneficial experience for his development. The World Junior Hockey Championship is a very elite and very competitive tournament, and this can be a very rewarding opportunity for a young player," said Canadiens general manager, Marc Bergevin.