https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

E. Staal v. Kopitar
    Seguin v. Duchene
    Lucic v. Wheeler
    Skinner v. Landeskog
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Veteran

This is not a normal suggestion for a cage match, but something I am sure people would enjoy your thoughts on...

Bobrovsky the real deal. Vs. Bobrovsky the next Jim Carey.

Dobber Sports Star

Couture v. Stepan
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    This is not a normal suggestion for a cage match, but something I am sure people would enjoy your thoughts on...

Bobrovsky the real deal. Vs. Bobrovsky the next Jim Carey.
    This was actually one of my first pieces for DobberHockey - Autobot or Decepticon? - where I discussed how young goaltenders tend to pop up out of nowhere each year and can win you pools before disappearing into the night. I had Bob as an Autobot meaning you could count on him in the future. Obviously circumstances have changed since that piece as Bryzgalov was signed by the Flyers and eventually Bob was let go but one of the big reasons I was a fan was his history of producing at other high levels. He just strikes me as a talented goaltender and his work ethic is paying off right now.

But to answer your question better without this spinning too far out of control I would like to propose my theory that at any given point in time there are somewhere around 100 goaltenders on Earth playing in various leagues with the capability of being a quality NHL starter and thus productive fantasy option. What they need to achieve that is a combination of:

-Skill - obviously the most important as it is the crux of the theory and this covers not just physical and technical skills but mental skill as well. There are plenty of talents who don't have the mental stability to handle starting for an extended stretch.
    -Opportunity - obviously you can't succeed without first getting the chance.
    -Timing - you have to wind up in the right place at the right time because even the best goaltender will struggle on a bad team and more importantly you have to time the peak of your skill to take advantage of an opportunity.
    -Luck - luck can control some of the other factors like opportunity and timing but even then you may also need some luck in terms of bounces, coaching, teammates, mental state/confidence.

Without everything coming together for a guy he just won't succeed and for him to continue to do so he needs to continue to get the better end of the above so:

His skills need to remain sharp mentally and physically so there can't be any confidence rattling circumstances like injuries or slumps and he needs to continue to work hard and keep his physical skills up.

He needs to continue to get put out there by the coaching staff.

He still needs to have a good enough squad in front of him or he'll see other factors erode like confidence or opportunity.

And he still needs to have enough luck on his side until he reaches the point where he has the contract and track record where the coach has no choice but to play him even through a slump but he also has to avoid injury and avoid running into the next big thing as his backup.

Bob has shown us enough multiple times to say that he can be a good goalie for stretches. We still need to see a full season but that's also the argument we hear about Tuukka Rask. At a certain point though we just have to accept that these guys are good. Let's see what happens when Bob gets a big(ger) contract this summer with some long term stability and we will see if he gets complacent. I'm optimistic about him because his history of producing is fairly extensive beyond just his NHL career and he certainly passes the eye test but we aren't out of the woods yet. Keep him in mind as a nice sleeper for next season once all the "sure things" are snapped up.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

Dobber Sports Sage

Granlund vrs Hub's
    Tavares vrs Stamkos
    OEL vrs Faulk
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks man, awesome reply. I got bob off the ww this year in my keeper, its a keep 14... we have no farm so if I drop him he won't make it back to me... with only rask as a keeper goalie I am trying to decide and really leaning to go with the gut and take the chance on him.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Granlund vrs Hub's
    Tavares vrs Stamkos
    OEL vrs Faulk
    OEL vs. Faulk
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Very nice I was away at this time looking forward to reading it now. I predict you took OEL but close I think.

Tavares vrs Stamkos is a winner
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; April 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Gallagher versus Galchenyuk
    Gallagher versus Kadri

And I'll third Tavares vs. Stamkos
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Ace

Tavares vs Stamkos and E Staal vs Kopitar are both good suggestions.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not too sure who would be good opponents, but Huburdeau, E.Kane and Kadri have been fairly controversial players...
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This was actually one of my first pieces for DobberHockey - Autobot or Decepticon? - where I discussed how young goaltenders tend to pop up out of nowhere each year and can win you pools before disappearing into the night. I had Bob as an Autobot meaning you could count on him in the future. Obviously circumstances have changed since that piece as Bryzgalov was signed by the Flyers and eventually Bob was let go but one of the big reasons I was a fan was his history of producing at other high levels. He just strikes me as a talented goaltender and his work ethic is paying off right now.

But to answer your question better without this spinning too far out of control I would like to propose my theory that at any given point in time there are somewhere around 100 goaltenders on Earth playing in various leagues with the capability of being a quality NHL starter and thus productive fantasy option. What they need to achieve that is a combination of:

-Skill - obviously the most important as it is the crux of the theory and this covers not just physical and technical skills but mental skill as well. There are plenty of talents who don't have the mental stability to handle starting for an extended stretch.
    -Opportunity - obviously you can't succeed without first getting the chance.
    -Timing - you have to wind up in the right place at the right time because even the best goaltender will struggle on a bad team and more importantly you have to time the peak of your skill to take advantage of an opportunity.
    -Luck - luck can control some of the other factors like opportunity and timing but even then you may also need some luck in terms of bounces, coaching, teammates, mental state/confidence.

Without everything coming together for a guy he just won't succeed and for him to continue to do so he needs to continue to get the better end of the above so:

His skills need to remain sharp mentally and physically so there can't be any confidence rattling circumstances like injuries or slumps and he needs to continue to work hard and keep his physical skills up.

He needs to continue to get put out there by the coaching staff.

He still needs to have a good enough squad in front of him or he'll see other factors erode like confidence or opportunity.

And he still needs to have enough luck on his side until he reaches the point where he has the contract and track record where the coach has no choice but to play him even through a slump but he also has to avoid injury and avoid running into the next big thing as his backup.

Bob has shown us enough multiple times to say that he can be a good goalie for stretches. We still need to see a full season but that's also the argument we hear about Tuukka Rask. At a certain point though we just have to accept that these guys are good. Let's see what happens when Bob gets a big(ger) contract this summer with some long term stability and we will see if he gets complacent. I'm optimistic about him because his history of producing is fairly extensive beyond just his NHL career and he certainly passes the eye test but we aren't out of the woods yet. Keep him in mind as a nice sleeper for next season once all the "sure things" are snapped up.

In that case... I'd like to see a Cam Ward vs Sergei Bobrovsky

Ward has been a fairly average career starter and we've all been waiting to see him put together a season like his 10-11 campaign again. Bobrovsky is showing us big things at an early age but can he stay consistent?
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Price vs Lundquist/Miller

Kessel vs Giroux

Bogosian vs E.Johnson

Wheeler vs Carter?

Dobber Sports Pro

Oshie vs Perron
    oooooooooh!
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop