Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Devils

The Magnificent One

Default New Jersey Devils

I would like to thank GMgates and Praba for giving me the chance to have my thread. I have been a NJD's fan for sometime now and was going back and forth about being the person to cover this section. I am here to give any insight that I can. I will say I dont have any connections into the hockey world or insight into how managment is running this team but I will give MY thoughts in this section. I will be trying to watch as many games as possible or atleast parts to each game to give my thoughts on what I see. If you have any questions about anyone or anything you see feel free to ask I will do my best to give my ideas or do some digging to try to find your answers. I will probably give more insight about fantasy related items as I am a big fantasy freak now. You can tell by me being part of the 5k group of dobber posts. Hope to bring it up to more and more through this section.

For my first related devils info. I was just watching the pregame and they gave a very interesting tibit on Josefson. I know dobber and others have been building this guy up recently and he just got his first NHL point last game so that is exicting but to add to his hype here goes.

The devils have had the 20th overall pick 3 times in history (or atleast what they showed on this report). The 3 picks were: Brodeur in 1990, Zajac in 2004, and Josefson in 2009.

I know that doesnt really say much but hey we all look at past events and hype. if he can turn into half of what zajac or brodeur has done for the devils look out.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The Magnificent One

Tonights lines:

Rolston-Elias-Zubrus
    Kovy-Zajac-Palmieri
    Pelly-Steckel-Clarkson
    Tedenby-Josefson-Zharkov

I know these lines have been working well for them so i wont say to change anything now but not loving this lineup to be honest. i think the last line of tedenby and kids needs some type of vet in there to shake things up and team them the game. i know we are going for a championship or playoffs so they have to put best team forward but mixing those vets/rookies might be a better move going forward.
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

With this thread - we now have 50% of NHL teams covered!

Newper, I know you will do a stellar job covering the Devils.

Welcome to the team!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Master

wow, surprised you didn't join earlier!

Welcome bro, you'll do great with your own thread!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Pro

They've looked great as of late. But I'm worried that they're going to end up 2 or 3 points short... I sure hope not, because I love their chances against anyone in the East right now.

Also, Josefson looks great. Him and Tedenby will be a tandem on the Devils second line for years and years to come.

Administrator

How tough is it to be a Devils fan and a fantasy hockey freak at the same time? Does their historical style of play frustrate you since so many players have made statistical sacrifices to help the team win?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    How tough is it to be a Devils fan and a fantasy hockey freak at the same time? Does their historical style of play frustrate you since so many players have made statistical sacrifices to help the team win?
    Yeah its not easy. but its key to only add the players that think will help you for your stats. the current devils i will own for fantasy reasons is brodeur, kovy, elias, clarkson.

I like clarkson but they arent using him well this year. he was much better last yr when they had him with zajac and parise on his line.

In general parise is a good player to own also and zajac(for Faceoff wins)
    rolston if you have SOG is a good pickup. i have him as an injury replacement right now bc i needed to add SOG to my h2h matchups.

but yeah owning them for overall stats outside of brodeur and kovy is not a great option but if you need to target specific stats then the others mentioned arent bad options.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Welcome to the group.

Awesome newper...glad you're aboard, brother!
    @SmittysRant

The Magnificent One

Well maybe i shouldnt take this section on. WIth the announcement the devils lose there first game in ALONG time.

As for the game itself. The first period was pretty much the same as the last 14 games. They didnt let in a goal. They didnt score any either which is pretty much on par. Yes you read that right. 14 first periods without letting in a goal. Thats the running record.

After that they came out strong in the second. went on 5-3 Powerplay but couldnt convert. They had some good chances but just couldnt get the puck in the net. After that they just looked bad the rest of the second.

Unfortunatlly i couldnt watch the third but from the game recap they didnt look that good. i think the 5-3 mentally shut them down.

Ofcourse brodeur was great as always. he always comes up big for them. the rest noone in my mind stood out for the devils. rolston was up to his usual self shooting ALOT. not a bad thing though.

kovy was kovy. he has been great as of late but this game nothing special. he made a few ok plays.

Thats all i got for today. but again as always it was close. to me they are struggaling to score again. they need to step it up if they want to make the playoffs. 8 points back from 8th still with 16 games left.

The Magnificent One

This was brought up in the another thread but cant find it anymore so I figured id talk about it here. THE PLAYOFFs. a thread was going around about the chances the devils have to make it in. Lets say that it will be HARD. them losing last night didnt help but they still have 16 games left and the chances that they win them all is slim to none. I will think that they need to will atleast 10 out of those 16 if not 12 to secure it. because every other team needs to lose.

Aswell tonight CAR & ATL went into overtime which gives them each points. that ofcourse is not the outcome that is wanted.

The devils play:
    ATL - 2 more games: these are MUST WIN.
    NYI - 2 more games
    BUF - 1 game - MUST WIN
    NYR - 1game - must win
    MON - 1 game - must win

So really the devils play MON, NYR, and BUF which are the key wins. these are the 3 that they need to hold back from getting points so they can gain some ground. based on this secdule it really comes down to the what NYR, buf, and CAR do going forward. they are now 7th and 8th and 9th. if they lose and devils win then they have a shot. otherwise its going to be tuff.

i know there isnt much insight into anything but thats how i see the playoff win. IN SUMMARY the devils need to keep winning lol. sorry thought this would turn into more insight but in the end not much. just filling the time lol.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Welcome Newper. Glad to have you
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

The Magnificent One

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Not much to report as the devils didnt play tonight. I wont be on tom to beable to watch the game but will hopefully catch Sat nights game and will report then.

As for the playoff race. tonight was a balanced night. TOR and FLA both lost which helps but BUF won. that is defently not a good thing. so the tuff climb still goes on and on.

The Magnificent One

Playoff watch:
    So the devils won last night and tonight. another OT win. but still a win. so things are looking good so far. looks like ATL, FLA, and TOR all won tonight as well so the devils are still in 12th place. BUT the big thing is BUF and CAR lost pulling a bit closer. the rangers are still in action and are tied right now so still waiting on them. NJ and BUF have 13 games left while the rest all have 13.

Game review (satnight's game). Devils vs NYI.
    ANother one goal game. The devils came out in the first like they always do, or atleast in the past 14 games, not letting in a goal. They did get a goal though which is a good thing. then went into the second with a PP and from there it went down hill. The second was a mess. Grabner for the isles has some INSANE speed. man that guy can fly and shoot. him and helm i think are the fastest in the league. or atleast just wow me in games. they can skate circles around people. OKAY back to the devils. so the second was bad BUT then comes the 3rd. They were awesome. just couldnt put the puck in the net but they had some nice chances. Seemed like Kovy was all over the place but the isles were just jumping infront of every shot he took. he had 5 SOG but with another 7 blocked. and then they win in overtime and nothing awesome just a nice goal.

Today to me it seemed like the issue was the top or 2nd line however you see it of elias, zubrus, and rolston seemed to disapear tonight. Elias was great on the Powerplay tonight and got the assist in the overtime win but otherwise his line wasnt all that great. Kovy's line was all over the place and just looked dangerous everytime they touched the puck.

BUt the story tonight is the 3rd line: clarkson, Josefson, Tedenby. these kids were awesome. I like clarkson on a line with zajac and parise (last year) but these 3 together were all over the place tonight. they were getting powerplay time and everything. very nice job. clarkson seemed to be back to his old self. using his body, getting in the play.

Not much to say about the dmen pairing or brodeur. Brodeur tonight in my mind was just good. he wasnt really tested much. all of 15 shots against. sucks for anyone like me who owns him in fantasy hockey. gets the win but his SV% wasnt all that good.

well thats what i saw tonight. another 1 goal game but a nice comeback to secure the win and the playoff hunt continues.

The Magnificent One

Well its been awhile since ive written. Been a bit busy these days but as you can all tell the Devils are out of it, not telling you anything new but the comeback story is over it is said but its true.

The thing that I like from the devils going forward is them losing some bad contracts and the abilitly to use there youngsters. To me the worst move the devils did this season was use 5 forwards on the PP and leave Greene out of it. Most dont hold him as a solid puck moving dman but he is very aware out there and is needed as the point man on the powerplay. next yr the PP will look very different: kovy, elias, parise, zajac and someone.

that projects to be the unit. I hope it will be greene and they should take zajac out and put in zuburs or clarkson so they have a big body infront.

I havent done much research into this but I am curious as to whats going to happen with the coaching staff in NJ next yr. I hope they lead to a more free style as we all do. Brodeur will put up good numbers even with a more offense style. they just need to trust in there players.

as for lines still early to say but i like:
    Parise, zajac, clarkson
    Kovy, Josefson, Palmieri
    Elias, Zubrus, Zharkov

not going past 3 lines. but we could see a swap of some of those lines ofcourse. maybe zajac sticks with kovy as they have done well. ofoucrse early bc they might use the offseason to land a top 9 forward and a top dman.. so things will change.

you would want to see kovy with more talent but these kids are amazing and work hard. working with kovy should be a nice mix.