Page 60 of 89 FirstFirst ... 10 50 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Soooooo....

It's been a while since I have posted here, I know. It's been a crazy ten days. For the past year and a half, I have been negotiating/interviewing for another job. Big move to say the least....w/outy boring anyone of the details. Well, a week ago Thursday, I was made an offer, discussed it w/my wife and a ultimately accepted the new position.

Well, I thought I would do the right thing and give a full three weeks notice. Ohhhh...I am sooooo naive. My now former employer released me immediately - w/three weeks full pay - felt I was a security risk.

So here I am jobless, but being paid. Let me tell ya, it effin rocks! So, I've been busy around the house getting projects done, going to the gym, having the occasional lunch out with some buds. My mind has never been so at ease.

Problem is, I haven't been around my computer as often so my updates have been lacking. Sorry. Starting Monday, I hope to post morning updates on a daily basis - especially w/the deadline looming. I'll be all over that shit.

In the mean time, if anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

As far as tonight's game...Enroth is IN. Vanek is OUT (despite skating this morning). Pysyk and Scott are healthy scratches.

Rolston sure has been kicking the wheels on Enroth quite a bit as of late. Just saying....
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Rolston sure has been kicking the wheels on Enroth quite a bit as of late. Just saying....
    Cuz they're gonna trade Milla!!!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hey - congrats on the new job Bommer. Hope it works out really well for you.

Could ya tell Weber and Ott that the shoeless one is in big time need to some sin bin time today. Thanks.

Hope Vanek goes tomorrow - I might need him to help me clean up a match that could put some coin in my hands.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Cuz they're gonna trade Milla!!!
    Please. Please. Please!
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1UTIL, 2G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

C: Benn (LW), Marchessault (LW), Galchenyuk (RW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Marchand, Pacorietty
    RW: Rust (LW), Buchnevich, Fiala (LW), Zuccarello
    D: Josi, Theodore, Sergachev, Dahlin
    G: Mrazek, Khudobin, Sorokin
    IR: Grzylcek

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Hey - congrats on the new job Bommer. Hope it works out really well for you.

Could ya tell Weber and Ott that the shoeless one is in big time need to some sin bin time today. Thanks.

Hope Vanek goes tomorrow - I might need him to help me clean up a match that could put some coin in my hands.
    Thanks, Shoeless!

Unfortunately, Vanek is out again tonight. He's skating (which is a good sign), but it's still wonky.

With the Regehr trade to L.A., it's obvious Regier is stocking up on future picks. These accumulated picks may not seem like much now, but they will be valuable assets come draft day - leverage should Regier see an opportunity to jump up to a higher slot.

And these recent moves don't preclude a more potent player swap. Assuming a willing dance partner, I fully expect Regier to make such a move(s) prior to tomorrow's deadline.

Reports are that Pominville has been asked for a list of eight teams he that he would not be willing to be moved to...(man, that's an awkward sentence).

I wouldn't bet on Regier moving Miller - unless the former truly believes the latter is a true poison to the environment (which is possible). Otherwise, I just don't see Regier moving such an asset, unless he's in full blown re-build. It's just too bold a move for an even tempered Regier to make. Not to mention it's a buyers market right now for goalies. Especially when you consider the more Markstrom succeeds, the more likely you can scratch Florida off the list of potential buyers. So it would be tough to get the kind of return Regier would want for his prized net minder.

And I'm still not convinced Regier is doing a full blown re-build - not in the traditional sense of the term, anyway. I suspect what Regier is attempting is more along the lines of restructuring the hierarchy or a re-identification process, i.e. swapping out enough of Ruff's old guard in order to dilute the toxic environment w/in the locker room.

It's no secret the Sabres are in dire need of a true big bodied #1 Center. Luke Adam has been re-called but that's more for insurance purposes than anything else.

Does Regier make a move for a young Bjugstad-type, or a 3-4 year vet like Ryan O'Reilly?

I'm betting his next move will be vet forward(s) for player + pick. We shall see.
    @SmittysRant

Just a heads-up for Vanek owners. Today in practice he took a shot and immediately left the ice wincing in pain. Obviously out tonight but could very well be another game or two before his return.

No reason to rush him.
    @SmittysRant

Obviously, a big day today filled w/high expectations. I'll be out and about for most of the morning, returning by mid afternoon - just in time for helter skelter occuring at 2:59pm.

An interesting landing spot for Miller would be Phoenix. Problem is they lack the Sabres true need in a top line Center. Even their prospect Centers leave a lot to be desired. Yandle is the prize, and a nice prize at that but is D really position worthy of your team's top asset. Yandle + 1st rounder?

Interesting....doubtful, but interesting.

Edmonton? Miller for Gagner? That's better, but I suspect the Oilers would rather have dmen than a goalie. However, I'm not sure what the fan chatter on Dubnyk is so...

The Oilers need RW support so Pommer could be in play here too. Miller + Pommer (and is PK play) could go a long way of shoring up some defense. Sabres will gladly accept Yaks and Gagner in return.

San Jose would be a nice landing spot for Pominville - nice two way play and would add needed depth at RW.

See I think Sabres fans screaming for a trade involving a top line center in return fail to realize that they're in high demand and low supply. Consequently, teams aren't in a hurry to move them out. Best bet is to get a prospect center through trade or draft.

Sooooo....going back to Edmonton....maybe Regier goes for their first rounder, using Miller and Pommer. Justin Schultz would be a nice addition to the 2nd unit power play and provide relief to Ehrhoff. Pommer and Sekera for Schultz + 1st.

That would definitely serve to weed out Ruff's old guard, and bolster our prospects with a top pick in this year's draft.

Edmonton or San Jose could be viable dance partners today. Stay tuned....
    @SmittysRant

Pommer yo the Wild for Hackett and Larsson? If that's so then Look for Miller to be moved next. Stay tuned for updates
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Bomm - can you speculate on some lines with the Buffalo subtractions.

Line1:
    Line2:
    PP1:
    PP2:

I want to know which Buffalo players are in line for some increase in time/role.

Dobber Sports Icon

Hmm so no Miller move...I own Larsson in a sim league and would be interested to hear what you think the future holds for him in Buffalo. He's been fairly highly touted - will he get a real shot in Buff? You would have to think they will give him lots of chances, considering he is a big part of the return for Pomminville.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Hmm so no Miller move...I own Larsson in a sim league and would be interested to hear what you think the future holds for him in Buffalo. He's been fairly highly touted - will he get a real shot in Buff? You would have to think they will give him lots of chances, considering he is a big part of the return for Pomminville.
    ...and to Pengwins's question too

I'm more focued on the Hackett move than anything. I get what Regier is doing...despite what the local radio douche bag pundits speculate...

Pommer will be a very good fit for the Wild, no doubt. He's not a true #1 and he doesn't have to be in Minnesota. He can just settle in and do his thing, lots of support and no pressure. He will succeed there. Do I think the Wild are contenders this year? No.

But next year watch out.

As for Buffalo...

Regier is building for the future - tons of picks and prospects. I firmly believe Miller will not be on this team come opening day 2013.

I thought the return on Pommer was a little weak. Oh, I like it from a devil-may-care perspective, but I think we gave up too much proven for too much prospect. Pommer - never my fav player - is still great at PK and and second line scoring. Sabres got back a lot of "what ifs?"

Very good what if's, but...

So I approve of Regier's bigger picture, I'm just not entirely sold he can pull it off. Guess that's my overall position. I am cautiously opptimistic.

I really don't know enough about Larsson to know where Rolston will slot him in. He's an effing fire plug for sure.

It's a new look coming for the Sabres - more grinders blue collar types. Rather than smaller offensive water bugs.

BTW...hats off to the Blue Jackets. I like what they did.

Oh and Raffi Torres...the NHL's whore getting passed around like it's some frat party.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; April 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Default A few additional (and more sober) thoughts...

• Regier got great value on the Pominville trade. He's obviously in re-build, despite his reluctance to admit it. You don't give out 65 points and receive none in return, and NOT be in rebuild.
    • The more I ponder (not often, really), I come to realize my concern with Regier moving forward is I believe his strength is in scouting. He has yet to convince me he is a true GM.
    • He's great at stockpiling and utilizing prospects and picks. Just don't know if he's capable of putting a team over the top - into a true perennial contender.
    • Larsson ideally will be a great puck possession, two-way winger with 20 goal/second line upside. I think his puck possession attributes are being overlooked here in Buffalo. We're in dire need of a two-way forward that control tempo and is hard to knock off the puck. Larsson should be that guy, by all accounts.
    • It is reported that Vanek and Miller wish to talk to Regier with regard to his vision for the team, prior to negotiating contract extensions.
    • Fair enough but I will tell ya...Regier didn't trade for Hackett for shits-n-giggles. If it's one thing Regier is, it's purposeful.
    • Vanek stays...Miller gets moved. Just my gut. This year's is a deep draft and Regier could easily move Miller by July's deadline and walk out of the 2013 draft with a king's ransom. Just sayin...
    • Pommer will absolutely help the Wild. No doubt a great acquisition for them. But fantasy GMs expecting a significant uptick in points are duly warned. He is what he is - a 65/70 pt forward. Moving him to Minnesota won't spontaneously transform him into an 80 pt winger.
    • ...w/one exception. Pommer may see a slight uptick if used properly on the PP. His production took a dip on the Sabres because they used him on the point. The only one responsible enough, it seems. So his PP points could spike.
    • Recent trades and Amerks playoffs are going to free up a ton of ice time. I know Pysyk and I think Flynn and Porter will be sent back too. I have to confirm those latter two. Hodgson, Foligno will not be returning.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Ryan Miller
    Jhonas Enroth
    Matt Hackett

Enroth's contract expires at the end of the season. Do they trade him and keep rolling with Miller as Hackett backs up, or do they resign Enroth, and move Miller, allowing Enroth-Hackett to duke it out for the top spot?

Or do they keep 3 goalies?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Ryan Miller
    Jhonas Enroth
    Matt Hackett

Enroth's contract expires at the end of the season. Do they trade him and keep rolling with Miller as Hackett backs up, or do they resign Enroth, and move Miller, allowing Enroth-Hackett to duke it out for the top spot?

Or do they keep 3 goalies?
    Don't forget Leggio in that equation. The jury is still out if he is a really good AHL goalie or an OK NHL goalie....but he's earned a chance to prove himself, given his play for Rochester.

Keep an eye on Rochester's playoff run, and Enroth's spot duty. That will tell all ya need to know if Miller gets moved during the off season.

Miller gets ya better return. Vanek is a streaky forward incapable of playing 82 games.. Not a knock against him per se. He tends to put himself in positions to get hurt....far more physical a game than Pommer ever had.

Thing w/ Vanek that bothers me is.....

While he's the player I would rather keep. He's going to want an extension. A long term extension. He'll be thrity+ when it kicks in, and anything short of eight years and he"ll be shopping elsewhere - that's IFF he even agrees which he has stated he is not going to stick around for a rebuild - that aside...

Do I want that term and the money that comes with it for a streaky forward??

I like Vanek but I'm not sold on an 8yr deal either.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Yep, I don't like long term deals for ANY player, no matter how promising or young they are with the sole exception of generational talent like Crosby, Ovechkin, or Price. (I'm also especially wary of goalies getting long contracts, because of the volatility of the position).
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby