Page 56 of 89 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks for the great response! I tried to rep, but you know...the "spread it around" rule.

I also wonder about Hodgson's faceoff ability. I keep reading and watching him be the best of the 3 Sabres regular Centres. But, when the best is like 41%...that's not good. My league doesn't count faceoffs, so as a stat, I don't care. I just wonder if he ends up shifting to a wing position, maybe on a different line? He's way more valuable to my keeper team as a winger.

I'll keep watching some more of the Sabres games.....thanks again!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Not much to say really. Still monitoring not only Rolston but how the team reacts to his instruction.

Pardy was called up (thankfully) and Brennan scratched (more thankfully). For all two of you Brennan owners out there, should he ever score a goal - sell immediately.

John Scott also scratched.

Miller in net. And just in case there was any speculation among poolies, Enroth is the back-up this year. Rolston will not be calling up Leggio at anytime.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Padawan

I have Pomminville in a pts only pool and am thinking of dropping him or Jagr. Both are doing nothing recently and last year their PPG declined steadily 1/4ly (although that may not be relevant this year). Anyone here have faith that Pommy is going to get going again and dump Jagr?
    Some of the guys I can replace Pom orJagr with are Zetterberg, Ribeiro, Kunitz, Voracek, EKane, Sharp, Bergeron, Krejci...all guys who have been doing much better lately/season.
    Last edited by everfeb; February 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    I have Pomminville in a pts only pool and am thinking of dropping him or Jagr. Both are doing nothing recently and last year their PPG declined steadily 1/4ly (although that may not be relevant this year). Anyone here have faith that Pommy is going to get going again and dump Jagr?
    Some of the guys I can replace Pom orJagr with are Zetterberg, Ribeiro, Kunitz, Voracek, EKane, Sharp, Bergeron, Krejci...all guys who have been doing much better lately/season.
    Holy hell! If you can do it, I'd drop both Jagr and Pommer and pickup Zetterberg and then one of Voracek, Kunitz, Sharp or Bergeron. Not sure if positions matter, but you gotta find a way to get Z on your roster at a minimum IMO.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Holy hell! If you can do it, I'd drop both Jagr and Pommer and pickup Zetterberg and then one of Voracek, Kunitz, Sharp or Bergeron. Not sure if positions matter, but you gotta find a way to get Z on your roster at a minimum IMO.
    Thanks. It's one or the other...Jagr or Pomminville. I'm Not sure which one. Almost flip a coin. Which one would you drop?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Thanks. It's one or the other...Jagr or Pomminville. I'm Not sure which one. Almost flip a coin. Which one would you drop?
    Personally, I'd drop Jagr out of the two despite the fact that the Stars are the more talented squad. He's less important to the Stars than Pommer is to the Sabres, and is a better bet to miss some games from here on out due to injury and/or routine maintenance.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks Dejeanneret
    Another case for dropping Jagr-Stars have only 13 games Mar 2 to end of month-Sabres 15. On April Ist I get one more trade. Sabres have only 12 games in April (tied for lowest in NHL) so if Pom hasn't picked it up I can drop him then (if no one else on my roster is doing worse/hurt). I'm in a dogfight for 3rd (last $$$ spot) and every point I can eke out is important.
    Thanks for helping.

Wow, lots of action that I have been remiss in addressing. My apologies, just super swamped at work yesterday and today.

With Gragnani....er, TJ Brennan a healthy scratch again tonight and Leopold still hurt the d-pairings will be similar to last game versus Lightning

Ehrhoff/Myers
    Regehr/Sekera
    Pardy/Weber

It was a good win over the lightning w/much better puck pursuit. In fact that first goal was the sole result of Vanek's relentless play on Stamkos up at the blue line as Stammer was attempting to get up ice.

But the Sabres really need to stay out of the penalty box. The penalty kill did a great job shutting out TB's PP units, but continually staving off penalties throws off line rotations and it's tough to generate scoring chances if you always have to play a defensive posture.

The Sabres also did well in pushing TB to the outside and clearing the shooting lanes. Miller is at his best when his lane visuals are unobstructed.

Marcus Foligno is a healthy scratch tonight, w/John Scott returning for a presumed bout versus The Mustache.

I don't disagree w/Foligno riding the pine for a game. Take a breather and reset, as it were. In fact the whole team is in reset mode. Forward scoring slumps include:
    Pommer: 1 goal in 10
    Ott: 1 goal in 9
    Ennis: 1 goal in 7
    Hecht: 0 goal in 20
    Gerbe: 0 goals in last 16
    Foligno: 0 goals in last 15
    Stafford 1 goal in last 20

Given the above, I expect others will have their turn serving hors d'oeuvres to guests in the press box.

Rolston is a good evaluator of talent and utilizing the identified skill set to its fullest potential. Which is why Foligno was also yanked from the PP. That's not his strong point. Foligno is best at and most productive at crashing the net and forcing his will upon the opponent.

Look for spikes in PP time from Gerbe, Ennis, Hodgson. Of course Vanek and Pommer Ott and Myers, but their PP time will be directly tied to how much time they have to kill penalties.

Miller is net. (duh)

Thing I like about Rolston, is he has the team's focus away from the playoffs and instead on doing the little things right - pursuit, effort, pk, clearing shooting lanes. Ya have to learn how to walk before you can run.
    @SmittysRant

Hey Panthers fans, come in from the beach and take your seats.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hey Panthers fan, come in from the beach and take your seat.
    There you go Bomm, I fixed your statement.

Oh man, the smurfs are killink the Panters. Nate "Furby" Gerbe has two, Tyler "P" Ennis has one goal and one helper, while Steve "Double" Ott has tre helpers. All this after the opening stanza. Clemmensen, pulled, The Odore in.

Good thing I put Gerbe in my line up today! I've got Ennis in a couple of leagues, so I'm pleased as punch.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    There you go Bomm, I fixed your statement.

Oh man, the smurfs are killink the Panters. Nate "Furby" Gerbe has two, Tyler "P" Ennis has one goal and one helper, while Steve "Double" Ott has tre helpers. All this after the opening stanza. Clemmensen, pulled, The Odore in.

Good thing I put Gerbe in my line up today! I've got Ennis in a couple of leagues, so I'm pleased as punch.
    Haha! My bad for assuming more than one. Yeah I love the Gerber-Ott-Ennis line. Pardy is really a calming force on the back end too. Much needed
    @SmittysRant

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Pardy is really a calming force on the back end too. Much needed
    Hey Bomm,

Just wondering if you can give me a sense of your expectation of Pardy's production going forward. I just took a flier on him in the Dobber one-year league and have started him for the coming week as my #6 D. I'm not sure what categories he might help in. Cats are G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,Hits. Based on a small sample, he seems like he'll help in Hits and maybe PIM (which suits me fine), but does he have any offensive potential? I figured a week test run shouldn't hurt and maybe since he was just called up he might have short-term value. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Personally, I'd drop Jagr out of the two despite the fact that the Stars are the more talented squad. He's less important to the Stars than Pommer is to the Sabres, and is a better bet to miss some games from here on out due to injury and/or routine maintenance.
    Just to update, I did drop Jagr from my 25 man roster, kept Pomvil and replaced Jagr with Zberg. OK Pommer, get going now...lol

EDIT...2 pts Sat. now that's better
    Last edited by everfeb; March 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

How Zetterberg was available is just weird.
    GO WINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Hey Bomm,

Just wondering if you can give me a sense of your expectation of Pardy's production going forward. I just took a flier on him in the Dobber one-year league and have started him for the coming week as my #6 D. I'm not sure what categories he might help in. Cats are G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,Hits. Based on a small sample, he seems like he'll help in Hits and maybe PIM (which suits me fine), but does he have any offensive potential? I figured a week test run shouldn't hurt and maybe since he was just called up he might have short-term value. Thanks.
    Ya know it's funny, I snagged him of the waiver too, after his first game in my league (sig below) he recorded 4.9 pts. But I would not expect much at all in terms of offense. That's not what they rely on him for, and Rolston does not demand it from his d-men on the same level as Ruff did. In Rolston's world a sound defensive game is first and foremost, points are incidental. Now a guy like Ehrhoff will continue to be a poolies best bet in terms of offense due to his PP time and huge TOI consumption generally. If you own Pardy in a deep multi-cat league, you do so as a depth/injury filler.

I was going to post separately, but as long as I am here I want to get some note up on today's SO win over the Devils. So please indulge...

• Much more chippy than I had anticipated. Good game to watch as a fan.
    • Still way too many penalties. But I guess we can work on that next. Right now it's good to see the effort and some swagger back in their step
    • Definitely see a change in attitude which is nice but Miller summed it up nicely in his post game presser (I paraphrase) Nobody w/in the organization should be getting comfortable just because we won three games.
    • Could not agree more.
    • Primary powerplay peeps: Ehrhoff, Pommer, Ennis, Foligno
    • Secondary powerplay time: Hodgson, Gerbe, Sekera, Myers
    • Grigorenko: Rolston has admitted to taking a slow and steady approach to Grigorenkos development. Now he only saw 6 min of ice time which I know will make poolies rage. But he wants him paired with vet leadership or rather stability provided by Stafford and Hecht. Today he managed 1A on a very sweet rush down the ice. Interestingly, Grigs 4 of 7 on faceoffs (57%). That plus more reliable play will quickly earn him additional ice time.
    • Speaking of faceoffs: Hodgson 16 of 27 (59%); Ott 12 of 16 (75%); Porter 5 of 8 (63%)
    • Much improved FO stats.
    • Pominville is a conundrum. Two goals and yet finishes at minus-2. Such a love/hate relationship with that guy.
    • Ott continues his multi-cat ways: 1A, 5H, and the aforementioned FO% has to make poolies pretty happy.
    • This game took a physical toll. Like I said very chippy generally on both sides and strong play along the boards. Be interesting to see if the Rangers can take advantage of that tomorrow night when these two team meet.
    • Brian Flynn was called up from Rochester due to Vanek's absence (Leopold on IR). Not much ice time and I would not rush to the waiver wire but I really like the fact that Rolston is not afraid and very much connfident in relyng on his Rochester players for stability. Everyone agrees the Sabres need secondary scoring and stability to take pressure off the top two lines and it appears as though Rolston is not afraid to pull from his Rochester troops in order to achieve that goal.
    • I like that startegy. It serves to both evaluate new talent and puts Ruff's Regulars on alert.
    • Rolston at his post-game presser even seemed to intimate that Flynn would not necessarily return as soon as Vanek was healthy.
    • Flynn was a former teammate of Gustav Nyquuist at Univ. Maine Black Bears - just to name drop
    • In general, I like where this team is going. As I continually say, focusing on the playoff birth is putting the cart before the horse at this put, if not naive. Taking it a period at a time and slowly rebuilding some trust, ability and confidence is what the doctor ordered. And it appears as though the team is buying in to that approach.
    • Three in a row. Not bad.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; March 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM.
    @SmittysRant