Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 5 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    lol...too funny. I am in the middle of a rant about the org. and status quo when word comes down that the very man I am raging against has been fired.

I don't know what to talk about.
    maybe it was your endless rants that got him canned hahaha

Murmurs of Ron Rolston being promoted...possible James Patrick as interim. All just spec, at the moment.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I hope they don't promote from within. They need a fresh leader fom the outside. I'm worried that with an internal promotion we would have a similar message to the stale one Ruff has been spouting for years.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    H2H 1 year 12 team league
    G A +/- PIM PPP SHP FW HIT BLK GS W L GAA SV% SHO

C Backes (C, RW) MacKinnon (C, RW), Kadri
    LW D. Sedin, Hartnell, Hoffman (C, LW)
    RW Nash (RW, KW), Palmeri (RW, LW), Giroux (C, RW)
    D Johnson, Matinez, Stralman, Doughty
    G Holtby, Ward, Reimer

---------------------------------------------------

Local TV reporting Ron Rolston has left Rochester area on his way to Buffalo. No confirmed hire yet.

If I am not mistaken, Rochester has a game tonight so that's a big indicator, if ya ask me.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Genius

Time to trade Vanek and Hodgson. New system means scoring will be a lot harder.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Regier presser at 5pm. Of course, as I am leaving the office. Oh wait I have an WGR Radio app...
    @SmittysRant

So Ron Rolston is indeed the interim coach for the remainder of the season. Regier will then assess during the post season whether Rolston is worthy of full-time status.

Assuming for the sake of this discussion long term outlook, this bodes well for Sabres prospects [cough-Grigorenko-cough]

After a brief stint as an assistant coach at Boston College, Rolston went on to coach the US National Team Developmental Program from 2004-11. From there he went to the Rochester Americans - earning a calder playoff birth his first year.

Rolston has achived success at every level, earning numerous NCAA coaching awards, myriad of junior medals, as well as Calder births coaching men.

In another thread I alluded to the notion that Ruff - much like Hitchcock of the Blues - is intolerent of rookie miscues. Better suited to a team stacked w/defensively responsible vets.

The Sabres are stacked with prospects and young guns at each level of the organization's player ranks. Seemingly a much better fit for the relatively young, stat junkie, masters degree pursuing Rolston.

It's his moment and his job to lose.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Rolston is bring along Kevin Porter to fill the void made by McCormick being waived.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; February 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

Well there goes the thoughts of this change being good for Grigorenko

from twitter:

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
    Rolston says Grigorenko will be scratched tonight
    I already hate this Rolston character ......

Dobber Sports Guru

more from twitter:

David Shoalts ‏@dshoalts
    In 1st press conference as head coach of Buffalo Sabres, Ron Rolston basically called the players lazy. Said they take "a lot of shortcuts."

Dobber Sports Veteran

What the ****ing ****?
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    more from twitter:
    Good for him...

“I have a lot of film and watched as much as I could intermixed with our schedule. From what I saw it was more of just a lot of shortcuts, a lot of rest in shifts, things you just have to eliminate if you’re going to be a good hockey team. It’s just getting back to that, getting back to work because there’s not a whole lot of time.”
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ Leafs - 2.21.2013

Filed Under: Dawn of a New Era

• For all those under a rock: Lind Ruff has been fired. Tonight interim coach, Ron Rolston begins his quest to be a full time NHL coach.
    • His analytical, measured tone is directly in opposite of Ruff's old school, gruff, in your face style.
    • Rolston possess a wealth of experience coaching/developing young players. Has, in fact, succeeded in maximizing their potential.
    • Again, in arguendo, assuming he sticks this experience would seem to bode quite for all Sabres prospects, in addition to the younger vets currently on the squad (Myers, Ennis et al).
    • Fantasy wise this puts all of Sabres prospects back in play, with varying timetables for relevance. Unlike Ruff, Rolston appears much better equipped to handle the many inconsistencies younger players experience. Consequently, where I was once concerned with the development of Grigorenko, Armia, Girgensons, McNabb, and the regression of young vets like Ennis and Myers (others), I am now optimistic with regard to fulfillment of potential.
    • The flip-side of that coin is how the old timers react to him (and vice-versa). The uncertainty lies w/in how receptive players such as Pominville, Vanek, Miller are to Rolston's tactics. Tactics that heretofore have been deployed only on young junior players.
    • Can Rolston adapt the conveyance his message to suit the ears and egos of an aged audience? I guess that's where I am going with this rambling thought.
    • I believe the players would be remiss in drawing the conclusion that they got Ruff fired, therefore, it's their team to do as they wish. As far as I am concerned the exact opposite is in fact true. Ruff's firing puts everyone on notice: No More Excuses.
    • The secondary message being equally as important: All Are Expenable
    • Probably won't see too much change from a system standpoint, short term. More an emphasis on effort and execution, methinks. trades being the exception (see: Leopold)
    • Sit tight on Grigs. Won't know more until Rolston gets a look at him at practice Friday.
    • That said, long term Ruff's old standbys Hecht, Kaleta, Leopold, Sekera are all on notice.

Good luck, Mr. Rolston. You'll need it.
    @SmittysRant

Default Meanderings of a Feeble Mind - 2.22.2013

Probably not going to dwell on Ruff for too much longer - certainly not in depth. But I have a few additional thoughts plus some other tidbits pressing on the ol' white matter...

• Count me among those who deem Ruff to be a good but not great coach.
    • I believe the gushing over Ruff stems from a certain amount of sentimentality owed to his longevity with the team as both a player and coach. He's borne, bred and bled Sabres for the better part of his professional hockey career, in addition to leading this team through troubled waters and myriad of ownership changes. He's certainly owed a debt of gratitude and much respect for his dedication and leadership. But that shouldn't be misconstrued as being a great coach.
    • After Hasek left in 2001, Ruff's Sabres made the playoffs a mere four times and two of those lost were uncerimoniously booted from the first round. Four times in 12 years.
    • I focus on those years because let's face it, my dear Nonni could coach a team of elephant seals and if the Dominator were in net she'd still get >.500
    • Ruff, at least up to now, is not a developmental-type coach. He is a gruff no-nonsense, old school coach best suited for a team of vets in need of a kick in the ass. He is a great guy. Not great coach.

So That's all on that, he's gone. Time to move on...

• Any Sabres fan (or anyone else for that matter) thinking that with Ruff out, Rolston will automatically make this team a contender is naive...or drunk. Maybe both.
    • First the Sabres defense is atrocious. TJ Brennan is horrible. His skill set just does not translate at all to the NHL. At best a PP spe******t. If he gets plucked from waivers, God speed. JVR killed a penalty in last night's game versus the Leafs by skating circles around him.
    • Leopold is soft. Weber has turnover issues, as does Sekera. Myers is a lost pup who doesn't know up from down. Oddly, Pardy is their best bet to shore up the top pairing w/ Regehr or Ehrhoff.
    • What the Sabres have in quantity at D, the lack in quality. Trades will occur, assuming a dance partner.
    • Some say the team lacks an identity. I say their identity is 'Frailty'. Physical maybe, but definitely mental. And that's from the supposed vet leadership. So if the vets turtle at the first sign of adversity, who's to lead the pups? This has been going on for years, keep in mind.
    • If Vanek & Crew were around winning games prior to Ruff's arrival, that would be different. Their collective psyche would be used to life w/out.
    • Dunno if I am articulating this well, but my main point is the project of turning around this team may be more than Rolston can handle. Maybe not. A vet in the mold of Iginla would help teach this team how to nut-up and push through.
    • If Rolston flops - I don't think he will but - if he does, don't be surprised if Regier follows Ruff out the door during the off season. Regier promotes from w/in. Everyone knows this. Ensures loyalty and poses no threat. Don't think Pegula and his advisors are not acutely aware of that fact.
    • Last...McNabb will not be called up to resolve the issues at defense. He has improved, but still hasn't shown the consistency that he did last year. Patience w/him.

Beer calls...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

Bomm....would love to hear your thoughts on Cody Hodgson. I own him in my keeper (points only).

I really liked him here in Vancouver. I know his skating is suspect at best, but his offensive instincts are top notch. He should probably lose his RW status in Yahoo, so what do you think? If he continues to center Vanek and gets PP1 time, I think he may come clsoe to a point per game. I value your opinion.
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post
    Bomm....would love to hear your thoughts on Cody Hodgson. I own him in my keeper (points only).

I really liked him here in Vancouver. I know his skating is suspect at best, but his offensive instincts are top notch. He should probably lose his RW status in Yahoo, so what do you think? If he continues to center Vanek and gets PP1 time, I think he may come clsoe to a point per game. I value your opinion.
    Thanks, bumchilly, appreciate the comments and question. Hodgson, as you already stated, is offensively gifted. If we assume a full 82 game season, he is currently producing at a 70pt pace (give-or-take). Sublime doesn't even begin to describe the chemistry he has w/Vanek. And he's equally deft at both set-up and scorer.

Problem is his play in his own end. It sucks, put bluntly. But then again so does the play of the entire team, so he has company with that dubious distinction.

My guess is Rolston will not alter his ice time so long as he keeps producing. If Hodgson were 100% reliant on Vanek for pts (ala assists) then I would suggest to proceed with caution as Vanek is prone to lapses himself. But Hodgson has demonstrated that he can produce on his own, in addition to setting up others (Ennis). So play him w/confidence.

Just keep an eye on his TOI, due to new coach and aforementioned defensive play.

Hope that helps.
    @SmittysRant