Page 48 of 89 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Update later, in the mean time, check out this cheap hit by Panik on Girgensons.

Props to TJ Brennan for coming to his mate's defense.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

One of your several D-men is gone as the Islanders took Joe Finley from the waivers.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    One of your several D-men is gone as the Islanders took Joe Finley from the waivers.
    Oddly, we were not counting him among our depth.

I hope he succeeds. The few games he was up last year, he just seemed out of place. But you have to respect a guy that never gives up nor takes anything for granted.
    @SmittysRant

Not much as far as updates today, just more spec re Hecht and Girgensons and where they fit. Let me say this once, if Ruff at any point of the season places Hecht on the first line, centering Vanek and Pommer....he should be fired. Period. Because in so doing he will most assuredly verify what has always been said about him - he has a penchant for giving up too quickly and falling back on his old core of mediocrity. Ruff would rather have reliable mediocrity (Hecht) than inconsistent high end talent (Grigorenko). Grigs will have his share of mistakes, that's to be expected but he needs to learn by being among men who can teach him.

Ruff unfortunately needs to win now, and I can see him pulling a move like that in a vain (and somewhat ironic) attempt to save his skin.

Plenty of updates tomorrow after tonight's scrimmage game. First Niagara Center was mobbed as I was leaving work; you would have thought it was a friggin playoff game. lol...never doubt that Buffalo is indeed a hockey town.

Some Amerks called up to fill out two squads. Teams are....

TEAM WHITE
    Goalie: Enroth

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
    Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
    Scott-Sundher-Mancari

Regehr-Myers
    Leopold-Sekera
    Brennan-Biega

TEAM NAVY
    Goalie: Miller

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
    Ellis-Hecht-Kaleta
    Varone-Adam-Flynn

Sulzer-Ehrhoff
    Weber-McNabb
    Pardy-Pysyk
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Monster

Bomm, great work! Also saw this .....10,175 fans at #Sabres intrasquad game. Impressive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Bomm, great work! Also saw this .....10,175 fans at #Sabres intrasquad game. Impressive!!
    10k, eh? Damn. Nice way to represent, Buffalo!

Sorry I missed the scrimmage - especially that it's literally a block away from my office. Shame on me...

SabresProspects.com is reporting Grigs "...looked like he belonged." Good start, no doubt.

Look forward to the chatter tomorrow morn.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

Curious about how McNabb and Foligno looked in the game - really disappointing to hear McNabb is not looking good, have high hopes for him and he looked pretty good last season.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Curious about how McNabb and Foligno looked in the game - really disappointing to hear McNabb is not looking good, have high hopes for him and he looked pretty good last season.
    I was thinking the same with regard to McNabb, when I saw the rosters. I think he'll be fine, just slumping and may take a little longer than projected. But I haven't bailed by any stretch - he can turn it around + a few injuries in this condensed season and BOOM...he's right back in the chatter for a roster spot next year.

Foligno will be a machine, short and long term. Listened to an interview with the Amerks beat reporter and said not to be fooled by his drop in offensive stats during his stint this year. he went on to say that Foligno is still the same tenacious, hardworking, pain-in-front-of-the-net as he was last year. Opposition is just focusing on him more, so his numbers leveled off some while he adjusts to the attention.

That kid is gonna rock on that Ennis/Stafford line.
    @SmittysRant

Default 1/15/2013

Been really busy at work, hence my delay in getting these posted. Most of the focus at camp is on Grigorenko, of course. But before I get into that I'd like to address some other points of interest...

• Leino was seen on the first unit PP, during today's practice. Personally, I would not read too much into that at this point. I really don't see his fantasy value increasing because of this news. (or real-world, for that matter)
    • Interestingly, TJ Brennan failed to display the offensive prowess so evident down in the AHL. I have heard from more than one beat reporter (in both Rochester and Buffalo) speculate that his offensive game may not translate to the NHL. In fact one reporter went so far as to compare him to Marc-Andre Gragnani (and we all know how that worked out).
    • I say this to serve as another reminder to fantasy GMs to watch the hype machine, and sell high (perhaps).
    • Ruff "...will not be keeping nine active dmen." Whatever is decided (trade/waiver) won't happen until Friday. Weber? Pardy? Brennan? Trade?
    • Speaking of Leino [ahem]...he was on a line during last night's scrimmage, along with Ott and Grigorenko. Leino seemed out of place on that line. If Grigorenko is your linemate, you HAVE to be aware of him at all times. His hands are sublime and his passing sublime-er (that's for Dakkster...). Consequently, the no-look passes abound. Ott gets it. Leino...not so much. Hate to keep busting on him but Leino's not known for his focus.
    • Ott praised Grigorenko, post-scrimmage, as having elite skillset.
    • I really like the Foligno-Ennis-Stafford line. And that's saying something cuz I am not known for gushing over Stafford. i expect this line to succed, assuming Ennis' ankles hold up.
    • Things working in favor of Girgensons sticking: #1Roster spot availability; #2 Great size and skill set; #3 Affordable cap hit; #4 Sabres absolutely NEED scoring on that third line. The offensive production drop-off from the top two lines to the third is a gaping chasm. Grigorenko and Ott would do well filling that void.
    • Things working against Grigorenko: #1 Very short window to assess his development; #2 Lindy Ruff - very low tolerence for rooks mental lapses.
    • I'll be starting a new Dobber Pool entitled: PIM Over/Under on the Sabres vs, Bruins game (Jan 31st). Good Luck!

That's all for tonight. As always, thanks for reading, and I love questions and debate so lay it on me....

EDIT: One more thiing about Grigorenko - he demands the puck. While all other sabres will generally defer and over-pass, Grigs wants to shoot, and he will pass in order to gain better position in front of the net. Refreshing.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; January 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    [*]Leino was seen on the first unit PP, during today's practice....
    [*]Speaking of Leino...he was on a line during last night's scrimmage, along with Ott and Grigorenko... If Grigorenko is your linemate, you HAVE to be aware of him at all times. His hands are sublime and his passing sublime-er (that's for Dakkster...). Consequently, the no-look passes abound.
    As a Leino owner, I've decided to read the parts of your post that make me happiest.
    Thanks for the good news.

Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    As a Leino owner, I've decided to read the parts of your post that make me happiest.
    Thanks for the good news.

lol...yeah, well not sure how fantasy relevant he will be (in pts only leagues), but as a fan, I hope he has a re-emergence of sorts. Playing on a line with Ott and Grigs might just do that.

Hasn't really been much substantial news to report. Pardy was waived (along with Porter and Tarnaski), so there's one dman mystery solved...uneventful as it is. So does he dress seven? Perhaps, but that still leave one dman with whom to deal or waive. Tomorrow will be an interesting day, no doubt.

Grigs, Grigs, Grigs....blah-blah-blah....that's all anyone is talking about. His play during practice has been sublime - snapped three past Miller during Tue's practice. I say he gets the five game look, and two things have to happen for him to stick (1) obviously, no slacking on a shift and by no means no lazy penalties. That will earn him an AHL gig faster than you can say "Lemmy Rocks!" (2)That line will need to produce. Not huge, mind you, but produce nonetheless. Ruff desperately needs to find a third line with some offensive upside.

But I still find myself getting stuck on Ruff, and the only way I can explain my concern is by analogy:

Imagine, if you will, Claude Giroux in a Sabres jersey (dare to mastur....er, dream). It's 2009-10 season and Giroux's bottom line winds up at 47pts and a minus-9. Does he even see 82 GPs the subsequent 2010-11, 70+ pt season, with Ruff as head coach? His eventual developmental rise to Captain?

Methinks not.

...and that is my fear, with Lindy Ruff as the Sabres head coach regarding a high end offensive player such as Grigorenko.

Dig?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Will Gerbe even be cracking the top 9 when he returns??? His affordable cap hit has to make him a solid trade candidate if he no longer fits in BUF.

Do you think there is any chance they buy Leino out?
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Quote Originally Posted by deantime419 View Post
    Will Gerbe even be cracking the top 9 when he returns??? His affordable cap hit has to make him a solid trade candidate if he no longer fits in BUF.

Do you think there is any chance they buy Leino out?
    Hey, deantime, thanks for the question. Gerbe could certainly crack the top nine, but I don't suspect it will be on a consistent basis. He's practicing, but I don't think he has yet been cleared for contact. So he's starting off in a hole from the get go.

Easiest route would be if Grigorenko gets sent down to the AHL for this season. Gerbe is capable of centering the third line - Hecht considers himself a LW so no prob there.

Barring that, Gerbe is more likely to get on that third line than say Tropp (out for the season), McCormick (fourth line kinda guy), but then he'd have to play the wing (w/ Grigs at center) and that would mean an injury or collapse by Ott or Leino.

Gerbe most often will be on that fourth line or special teams, but if Grigs gets sent down and/or some injuries hit, then he'd be first in line for a third line spot.

Leino won't be bought out (barring some blockbuster trade), Sabres are too thin at forward and they'd have to pay him for this season anyway...so why bother.

Hope that helps, and thanks again for the question. Always enjoy helping where I can.

Good luck brother...
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hey, deantime, thanks for the question. Gerbe could certainly crack the top nine, but I don't suspect it will be on a consistent basis. He's practicing, but I don't think he has yet been cleared for contact. So he's starting off in a hole from the get go.

Easiest route would be if Grigorenko gets sent down to the AHL for this season. Gerbe is capable of centering the third line - Hecht considers himself a LW so no prob there.

Barring that, Gerbe is more likely to get on that third line than say Tropp (out for the season), McCormick (fourth line kinda guy), but then he'd have to play the wing (w/ Grigs at center) and that would mean an injury or collapse by Ott or Leino.

Gerbe most often will be on that fourth line or special teams, but if Grigs gets sent down and/or some injuries hit, then he'd be first in line for a third line spot.

Leino won't be bought out (barring some blockbuster trade), Sabres are too thin at forward and they'd have to pay him for this season anyway...so why bother.

Hope that helps, and thanks again for the question. Always enjoy helping where I can.

Good luck brother...
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Grigorenko get sent back to junior if he's cut?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Grigorenko get sent back to junior if he's cut?
    Oh oops yes, to the Q. I always eff that up. Thanks MD.
    @SmittysRant