Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Looks like some Amerks games will be televised, and Sabres Edge was kind enough to post a schedule:

The full schedule:

Friday, Oct. 19 vs. Grand Rapids (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Nov. 2 vs. Hamilton (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Nov. 23 vs. Albany (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Dec. 7 vs. Adirondack (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Dec. 21 vs. Binghamton (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Saturday, Jan. 12 at Syracuse (7:30 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Jan. 18 vs. Syracuse (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Jan. 25 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (7 p.m.), Channel 87

Friday, Feb. 1 vs. Toronto (7 p.m.), Channel 87

Saturday, Feb.2 at Syracuse (7:30 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Wednesday, Feb. 20 vs. Texas (7 p.m.), Channel 87

Wednesday, Mar. 13 vs. Binghamton (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)* 13/713 (HD)

Friday, Mar. 15 vs. Albany (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Wednesday, Mar. 27 vs. Syracuse (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Mar. 29 vs. Toronto (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

Friday, Apr. 5 vs. Lake Erie (7 p.m.), Main Channel (SD)*/713 (HD)

*Main Channels (SD) in the Buffalo area: City of Buffalo – 25; Suburbs of Erie County, Niagara County and Westfield, NY – 52; Olean, NY – 49; Dunkirk, NY – 27; Jamestown and Fredonia, NY – 41.
    Now I'm a FIOS customer so I'm thinking I won't get these games (at least not on the above-noted channels). But you Time Warner customers should be able to enjoy some quality hockey.
    @SmittysRant

Default Corey Tropp - Out for Season

After two full periods, Tropp suffers damage to both ACL/MCL and is kaput for the year. This after last year's concussion woes may vault this potential 3rd line, multi-cat leaguer into BAB status.
    @SmittysRant

lmao...nice to see our Sabres representing!

From Puck Daddy

To steal a quote from my friend, smoothfun, "Smooth move, Sekera. Smooth move, indeed!"
    @SmittysRant

Cody Hodgson breaks his hand, out for a few weeks. Can we PUH-lease end this g-damn lockout??

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...or-amerks.html
    @SmittysRant

Breaking news! The Lockout has ended!

Thank me later for being the first to break that to you...

Ok, so I will spare you any post-lockout diatribe about my feelings with regard to the lockout. Suffice to say, it can be summed up in one finger.

So w/out any further ado, let's breathe some life back into this mutha, shall we?!?

Things to be aware of as we head into camp:

-Markus Foligno and Hodgson will most certainly be called up from Rochester to join the team. For those in multi-cat league, your window of opportunity to acquire Foligno is closing quick. Look for Hodgson to be in line for first line mins. and some PP time.

-Fantasy GMs take notice NOW of TJ Brennan. Leads Rochester in points - no, not just among d-men, the entire team (30pts in 33 GPs). The Sabres are in a pickle because he will never clear waivers if they choose to keep him in the AHL. If they bring him up for a permanent roster spot that would bloat the d-men to eight. Someone's getting moved...Sekera? Dunno. But Brennan should be on your farm if ya got one or on your roster in deep dynasty leagues.

-Which is all bad news for McNabb and his owners (yours truly). Sabres are so deep at defense I don't see how he cracks the lineup (again, barring a trade). I love McNabb for multi cat leagues but keep him on your bench or farm for now.

-Speaking of defense, my boy Myers missed a month out there in Austria where he was playing during the lockout, with an ankle injury. He just returned this past Friday.

-Also injured Ennis (shoulder) left Switzerland where he had been playing. He has been seen skating at local rinks More on him when info develops.

-Gerbe while not the most relevant in pts only leagues, should be noted he had a "procedure' on his back. I love the kid, but as I have said in the past, i would not own him in fantasy circles. Just don't see him lasting long with his style of play. Kid takes a beating. All heart, great team mate, but....

-Grigorenko will have a looksie at camp, maybe nine games then back he goes (my guess). He could stay, I suppose but...get him, own him but consistent reliable TOI will be an issue this year so don't put yourself in a position where you have to rely on him. One year leagues - pass but w/an eye on the wire. Dynasty leagues - own for long term.

-Ryan Miller kindly asked his wife for his testicles. Status to be confirmed - by an intern I suppose.

That's all for now. Just glad to be back in the saddle, so let's get this sh!t started!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I saw a tweet saying that Grigs would be kept in the Q for this season.
    GO WINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I saw a tweet saying that Grigs would be kept in the Q for this season.
    I've heard everything from he'll be in camp, he'll be in camp and play nine games. I think it's safe to say, he'll be in camp but beyond that it's all speculation at this point. My opinion, safe money is on him returning to the Q.

Also, injuries could play a factor on his return. Again pure hypothetical at this point which is why I pass in one years, and keep him reserved in dynos.

I would def not be relying on him in any capacity for this season.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Went to twitter to see if I could find something fresher than what I heard earlier today, found this: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=649274

The Buffalo Sabres will be bringing top draft pick Mikhail Grigorenko to training camp, according to Patrick Roy, the player's coach and general manager with the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Roy told the French-language sports network RDS that he had spoken to Sabres general manager Darcy Regier and was informed that Grigorenko would be attending training camp for its entirety.

"I spoke to Darcy Regier [Sunday] morning, and he was very clear," Roy said Sunday evening during his regular appearance on the RDS panel show L'Antichambre. "He wants to bring him to Buffalo for the entirety of training camp. Afterward, they will see if [Grigorenko] can make the team or not. But I'm still hoping he will back with the Remparts to finish the season. For us, his loss would obviously be devastating, because we count on him a lot."

Grigorenko, who had two goals and four assists to help Russia win the bronze medal at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship, is expected to arrive back in Quebec City from Ufa, Russia on Monday. He is leads the Remparts and is fifth in the QMJHL with 29 goals in 30 games, and his 50 points are second on the team.

He was selected by the Sabres with the 12th pick of the 2012 NHL Draft.
    GO WINGS!

Yeah that's the report I heard earlier today. Local pundits speculating with regard to the nine-game stint vs sent directly back to the Q.

I think he'll impress enough to earn the nine game look. Problem is...imo...Ruff and his penchant for midget wrestling...wait, no line swaps. Yeah.

Recall how favorable Luke Adam began the 2011-12 season? We all know how that ended.

Notcomparing talent levels, mind you. Just sayin'...
    @SmittysRant

Try and get daily updates out, while I am able. Especially this preseason, being as abrupt as it is.

• Pommer, Vanek, Ott, Leopold, Weber, Regehr, and a host of other Sabres all practicing on their own at the Northtown Center.
    • Ennis is there skating as well, says his shoulder is 100%. So take that under consideration.
    • Grigs is a big question mark, w/regard to roster status. Regier did not get a chance to watch him at WJC (he was watching Armia and McCabe), but has looked at a lot of his Q play on tape. While he believes he has a good read on his development, Regier looks forward to having Grigs at camp. But whether that lasts three days, four days, entire camp+ is anyone's guess at this point.
    • Long term projection reliability issues aside, w/ Leggio, Knapp, Makarov, Enroth and Miller - the Sabres goalie cupboards are as over flowing as their defense. Not a bad problem to have.
    • Speaking of D...Weber is reported bigger and meaner (probably a result of training w/Ott), but while he has the desired heart and drive, I gotta think it's either he or Pardy (acquired via Ott trade) who get traded, or relegated to the unheralded position of Healthy Scratch.
    • Speaking of trades....Regier intimated that there would be no trades this preseason. That if there were trades to be had, they would happen at the deadline. Could be a bluff, but.....
    • Regier also went on to say that he was of the understanding that there would be no preseason games. Scrimmages vs Amerks would be coordinated.
    • This issue is being debated in another thread, but if you are an Enroth owner banking on him playing 15 games this shortened season, do so at your own risk. And don't say I didn't warn ya.
    @SmittysRant

Default 1/09/2013

I usually prefer to do updates in the late afternoon, when I get enough news throughout the day. But just listening to Regier on local radio, I have some very relevant info that should be useful to both poolies and fans alike.

• McCormick and Gerbe are NOT ready to play, so multi-cat poolies and GMs in Goon leagues take note. No timetable on return provided.
    • With regard to McNabb: "...most beneficial for him to remain in Rochester this year." Exception being of course need due to injuries. Poolies (myself included) will have to sit on this beast for awhile but I really think it will prove a fruitful endeavor for those of us in multi-cat leagues.
    • Center postion is shaping up thusly: 1st Hodgson; 2nd Ennis, 4th Ellis.
    • As for the 3rd line.....Ott and Leino are both in consideration (hey, I am just the messanger). Rumor also has Regier going back to the Hecht trough (god help us).
    • The only fantasy relevant player in that convo is Ott, of course, so I will provide updates as the info flows.
    • This shortage to me almost assures Grigs gets at least a few games worth of a look.
    • IF Grigorenko earns a permanent roster spot, his role is very much up in the air at this point - 2nd line, 3rd line, special teams only???
    • The issue is not his offense, according to Regier, he is fully aware that Grigorenko's offensive skill set is at a pro-level. Hockey sense, skating, hands etc. no problemo. Regier's concern is how Grigs handles himself w/out the puck. He needs to ascertain whether Grigs can "play enough hockey w/in a shift"
    • Not sure if this nugget has been let loose in other threads, but apparently the new CBA will allow teams to trade both player AND contract - up to 50% (both contract AND cap hit). Should make for more trades, especially those teams in need of a playoff push but up against the cap.

Sabres first home game is slotted for Sunday, Jan. 20th.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; January 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Default 1/10/2013

Nothing life changing to report today, and I suspect through the week as well. Until camp opens and players get evaluated during the one week push, we're all pretty much speculating.

But what fun it is....

• Given the Sabres need for a third line center, am I the only one curious with regard to the complete silence on Luke Adam?? Not only have both Ruff and Regier failed to once mention his name (as a possibility), neither have any media personnel.
    • To reiterate: (#1) Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer; (#2) Foligno-Ennis-Stafford; (#3) Ott-???-Leino; (#4) Scott-Ellis-????
    • Gerbe may be back in time for the opener. McCormick will not. So at the ??? above you can fill in with one of - Kaleta, Gerbe, Grigorenko, and possibly McCormick when healthy. My Guess McCormick, Scott and possibly Gerbe swap "Healthy Scratch" status. McCormick most of all.
    • Point being all this scrambling and a glaring shortage of true centers, yet nary a peep about Adam. Rather telling, eh? Hell, I've heard Hecht's name uttered more often
    • Could Grigorenko and/or Hodgson reform Vanek back into a 40 goal scorer?? Or does Ruff's system preclude such production?
    • Need a goon? John Scott. My theory (and some of us have tossed this about in another thread) goons generally and Scott specifically will be more active with their craft the opening 1-2 weeks. With everyone flying out of the gate, gnashing teeth to play, looking for a fast start, tenacity will be at its peak. My guess...fwiw.
    • I like (despite Dobber's prognostications in his guide): Ehrhoff/Sulzer; Myers/Regehr, and Leopold/Sekera. Admittedly you could wind up with Myers/Sekera (more offense) and Regehr/Leopold (shutdown)...but my fav is still Myers/Regehr (beastly and punishing)
    • Above pairings in mind, we are still then left with Weber, TJ Brennan, and Pardy (again, McNabb stays put in Rochester this year). Something has to give and but for Weber, I'll be damned if I know. TJ's nascent NHL career is best served by playing, finding the necessary TOI on this team will take a miracle. Can he clear waivers??? Do the Sabres take that risk??
    • I like Myer's development, and think fans will see a more physically confident game from him. If he's paired with Regehr, they will form a punishing duo. on an aside: I think Hedman and Myers are on similar paths.

So there's that....
    @SmittysRant

Default 1/11/2013

Updates abound!

• News reports out of Germany indicate the Sabres have an agreement in principle with Hecht. Nothing official will be announced until thel CBA is offically ratified. Deal is for one year.
    • Which brings me back to Luke Adam. He's done as a Sabre; the team is moving on. Don't know what happened between then-and-now but the Org no longer considers him a top prospect
    • Hodgson and Foligno have returned from Rochester, however, TJ Brennan is staying behind for one last game tonight vs Hamilton. Are the Sabres showcasing him? Could he and Adam be paired up for a trade package?
    • Maybe. But when one perusues the Sanbres prospects, one will notice how thin they are at forward, despite having just drafted Grigs-n-Girgs. Slightest bite of the injury bug could destroy this team (again)
    • Ruff interviewed today; discussed Miller's workload. Enroth owners take note: Ruff said he didn't think this schedule would really differ much from any other non-lockout season - at this time of the year - with regard to games/week. Especially when you factor the All-Star break. He went on to say that Miller ideally will see high-thirties in terms of GP. But he then immediately referred to Enroth's recent slump in SWE.
    • So again, beware....if Ruff so much as sniffs an Enroth slump Miller will immediately jump to low-forties GP. Mark it.
    • To re-state for those in need of a goon, get John Scott. Ruff expects to dress him regularly. TOI will vary to a degree, but he should be pretty reliable for those GMs in need of a bruiser.
    • In addition to his regular duties, Ruff expects Ott to see some time on the PK
    • Ruff intimated that he is open to the idea of rolling three lines with heavier mins than usual, given the shortened season. The fourth line would be rolled out for special occasions (birthdays, and the like)
    • But seriously...he is considering dressing a seventh dman, if not using the sixth as a PP spe******t. That's only one guy...Brennan. If Ehrhoff can eat big mins (25+/game), Ruff believes that would afford him the luxury of using his sixth dman solely for PP use.
    • ...and Brennan can succeed on the PP. He has a helluva accurate shot. He and Ehrhoff would make for one elite tandem. TJ Brennan wouldn't be a bad guy to have on your bench in deeper leagues. Could come in hand down the stretch.
    • Bad news re McNabb: reports out of the Amerks camp are that his development has regressed. Physical play has diminished, poor decision making and still has yet to improve his skating. All is not yet lost, but unless there are significant injuries this year that boy is staying right where he is.

That's all for now. Is it beer-thirty yet...???
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    The fourth line would be rolled out for special occasions (birthdays, and the like)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    [*]Bad news re McNabb: reports out of the Amerks camp are that his development has regressed. Physical play has diminished, poor decision making and still has yet to improve his skating. All is not yet lost, but unless there are significant injuries this year that boy is staying right where he is.
    Noooooooo!

Don't know why I'm upset, considering that my D is off the charts deep and good. I just like McNabb!

Fantastic coverage, Bomm! Love it!
    GO WINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post

Noooooooo!

Don't know why I'm upset, considering that my D is off the charts deep and good. I just like McNabb!

Fantastic coverage, Bomm! Love it!
    Thanks, Dakkster, appreciate the feedback.

Yeah the McNabb news does suck, but I'm not giving up hope. Just that with the volume of dmen the Sabres posses, competition for roster spot/ice time is fierce. Now factor in delayed player development, and....

We shall see.
    @SmittysRant