Page 41 of 89 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Default Notes on Bruins Game

• Lack of offense/creating offensive chances reason for this loss.
    • The Sabres at their best are merely a good team, as they currently exist. Unfortunately for them the NHL is full of good teams, and they do not possess that extra gear (that Boston displayed in the third) to take them to the next level.
    • This isn't new to this team, combined with their lack of chemistry. A continuous factor I place directly on Ruff's shoulders. As a coach, the lack of consistency when it is team-wide, is his fault.
    • Sabres had more success driving up along the boards (opposite Chara) rather than middle of the ice.
    • Tropp a fourth liner with third line capabilty (with some offense) found himself briefly on the second line w/Hodgson and Ennis (third period). Love this kid's multi-cat potential.
    • Myers: Shows great flashes, mobile and active. Yet still has his lapses, and somewhat inconsistent. That's a team characteristic too so it's hard to judge. Also he is just 22 so....
    • I stand by my position that Ruff has to go for this team to move forward. To be fair he IS a good coach, but the NHL is full of good coaches. The great ones win the Cup.
    • The oft demonstrated inconsistency couple with seeming lack of overall on-ice game plan is Ruff's responsibility. If he can't get the team squared, he should go. That simple.

edited for your viewing pleasure on 3.09.2012 @ 9:09am (est)
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; March 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ Big Ev's House O'Hockey

Optional skate this morning so not much to report.

• Miller in Net
    • Vanek - game time decision
    • Foligno - on deck
    • Kaleta - doubtful
    • Bishop- tall

That's about all I got.
    @SmittysRant

Default First Period Notes - Streaming Consciousness

• Gerbe exemplifies great shoot & chase the net for the rebound.
    • w/Dorkzilla in net (a/k/a Bishop) that's what the Sabres need more of - rebounds
    • Love Ehrhoff's blast from the point - great tool for the tool box
    • First Sens goal was a SH-er. Condra took advantage of a Myers miscalculaton - jumped and missed an airborne puck and the blue line
    • Miller need to stop than Condra goal - nothing special about it just a low wrister glove side (i think)
    • Love the Tropp/Ellis/Kaleta line - no quit in those boys. Tropp had a blocked shot in that period that he will be feeling on his shin for some time to come. Beauty!
    • Sabres need to find a way (see: fire Ruff) to up their physical presence more consistently. Not fighting per se, rather getting in between of the body-puck...disruption as it were.
    • Ehrhoff w/ a great pinch/take away/scoring chance. He's really fitting in nicely.
    • Hodgson et al doing well on the back check and patrolling the crease.
    @SmittysRant

Default Second Period - Stream of Consciousness

• Roy early in the period steppin it up. Be great to see more of that more often
    • Gerbe scores glove side/low, on an Ehrhoff screen. That all started from a Foligno forecheck. Just sayin...holy David v. Goliath
    • Miller! Miller! Miller! Bailing the team out again, early on in this period.
    • Ennis' goal was a direct result of Leino and Myers effort. Leino's puck possession skills going unheralded lately.
    • F-ing Karlsson thanks divine intervention and somehow scores from behind the net
    • I swear I can hear the crowd chanting "BIG-EV! BIG-EV! BIG-EV!" ...dunno, might be the tempranillo talking
    • Ennis ties it great effort all around on that one to fell the mighty sequoia that is Bishop!
    @SmittysRant

Default Third Period - Stream of Consciousness

• Overtime thanks to Miller and Foligno!
    • Kaleta and Ellis out. Short bench going into OT
    • Bishop on his knees is taller than Gerbe
    • Foligno goal! Off Alfie's skate, but his first NHL goal nonetheless!
    • Foligno sticking up for Ennis vs Neil. This kid is good.
    • Foligno...another blocked shot!
    • OT is sick: greatgame on both sides
    • Karlsson hacked Hodgson down to the ice. Good on him...his defense sucks he deserves the penalty
    • tripping and an unsportsman like...BONUS!
    • That does it.....shoot out. No matter what the outcome, good game by both sides.
    • p.s Big Ev = Karlsson??? Hmmmmmm....
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Where are you Boom, Sabres win. Thank god for Miller

Banned

Even though the tying goal shouldn't have happened (clear penalty on Gonchar by Foligno), it was a good game tonight.

Default Canadiens @ Sabres - 3.12.2012

First, I'm gone for ten days - Key West bound where a raw bar and Red Stripes await. I won't even be watching most of tonight's game since I need to be at the airport by 4am so...that's that....

Expect Miller to be in net. Vanek and Kaleta will play, but Ellis is out and Sekera has pnuemonia.

Sorry this is so brief but I got a house to get squared away, and my attention span is that of a hummingbird (???I don't even know what that means??)

See ya lads, I might be checking in via my phone from time-to-time, but who knows.

Ciao!
    @SmittysRant

Hey misfits...thought I would check in. No hockey down here and internet is touch-and-go but I thought I would check in on you. Foligno, my good friend Chicleteur tells me, is having a nice run as of late. Get him while ya can in your multi cat leagues; he's full time next year and the window will close rapidlt thereafter.

Made the playoffs in my big mone dynasty, started Hall and pffffffffft right outta the gate he's done.

Probably better off not watching any games. That's all I have time for....off to the beach!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

ugh 2 weak goals on 2 shots off Miller.
    What happens to him?

Default Meanderings of a Feeble Mind - 3/22/2012

• Start using Vanek again (one assist last night). His game is coming around. He's been playing hurt and seems to be getting his game back. Had some nice opportunities last night.
    • Roy also (2 assists). His head was really in the game last night in all facets. he's streaky, and streaking so use him for the next four-five games.
    • Hodgson - four-in-two. And anyone watching last night knows, but for Price, he should have six-in-two.
    • Miller. 'Nuff said
    • Kaleta has a cast, and Gerbe isn't close so Foligno is safe. I worry about Gerbe...dunno if his body can take the punishment he invites. Ennis is succesful because he's an elusive waterbug. Gerbe seeks out contact (god love his tenacity and effort) and I just don't know how long he'll hold up physically
    • And let's face it...having a bigger body Foligno in there is nice. Very nice. IF Gerbe returns, do you really send Foligno back down?? Turnbull obviously goes back, but....
    • Ennis is starting to feel "at home" at center - his words, not my assumption. And w/him there Ruff is able to do what he loves to do...roll four lines
    • Refs last night blew harder than Snookie at a boardwalk sausage festival .... Vanek took a chop to the nuts and HE gets called for holding?!? His balls maybe....And Staff gets chopped down on a breakaway and nothin's called, a cross check on Roy etc etc etc.
    • Halak chunked it hard for me last night. My playoff matchup all boils down to tonight's games. Please tell me at least one of Vrbata, Hall, and Toews are returning???? PUH-LEASE!!!!
    • Sabres next game is next week.

EDIT: OK, I am an idiot. Sabres play Fri and Sat. Sorry, for attempting to multi-task while at work. I always seem to hurt myself.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; March 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks Bomm. Roy certainly seems to be heating up. I have to make a tough decision whether to start him this week, instead of Getzlaf (who has only 2 games to Roy's 3) or Fleischmann (also 3 games, but good schedule, NYI and Edm at home and at Montreal).

Roy's schedule isn't all that easy either (@NYR b2b with Minn, and then @Wsh).

Getzlaf is home vs Boston and SJ.

Any thoughts?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Thanks Bomm. Roy certainly seems to be heating up. I have to make a tough decision whether to start him this week, instead of Getzlaf (who has only 2 games to Roy's 3) or Fleischmann (also 3 games, but good schedule, NYI and Edm at home and at Montreal).

Roy's schedule isn't all that easy either (@NYR b2b with Minn, and then @Wsh).

Getzlaf is home vs Boston and SJ.

Any thoughts?
    Dunno man, that's a tough one. haven't seen too much of Getz, but i can tell you the Sabres are really rolling right now. I have no doubt they can score on the Caps and Jets. Any likliehood NYR sit Lundqvist for this matchup?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Dunno man, that's a tough one. haven't seen too much of Getz, but i can tell you the Sabres are really rolling right now. I have no doubt they can score on the Caps and Jets. Any likliehood NYR sit Lundqvist for this matchup?

Very good chance Lundqvist sits and Biron in for the Sabres matchup.

In this case though, I don't think I can sit my stud Getzlaf to play Roy. I'd rather play Getzlaf and regret it if Roy explodes - I would regret it much more if I played Roy and Getzlaf explodes. After all, I firmly believe in fantasy, when in doubt, you have to play your studs.

In any event, even if I sit Roy and he explodes, I will have the opportunity to play him next week and reap the rewards then - I figure if Roy really is heating up with Vanek/Pommer and the rest of the team, it won't last only 3 games, it'll probably take them until April 10th and into the playoffs.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I firmly believe in fantasy, when in doubt, you have to play your studs
    Exactly. Don't over think it.

See, you don't even need me. You just answered your own question. Glad I could help.
    @SmittysRant