Page 18 of 89 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Exclamation Gragnani Locked in for another year

Great news for the Sabres and Gragnani owners! Buffalo's d-core is deep....to say the least, but this at least provides Grags a much deserved and needed opportunity to demonstrate that last year (playoff, in particular) was no fluke.

It's a crowed blue line to be sure, but I'm confident in my boy's puck moving skills and his ability to earn consistent...albeit somewhat limited...ice time. Perhaps, even on the second unit power play - which would really boost his numbers.

Trying to find details, but in the mean time, here's a quick read....

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=585972
    @SmittysRant

Default More thoughts on Gragnani....

I've heard some ramblings that he refused a low ball, one-way, two year deal. Now while this hasn't been verified, nor have the terms of this particular signing, his refusal of the two year would...if, indeed true...be particularly savvy on the part of Grags and the Sabres both.

Here's why....

1. Sabres will be hard pressed in 2012 to sign both Myers and Ennis (both RFA's) and Boyes, Hecht, and Kotalik (all UFA's). The latter group could all be trade bait in order to get under the cap this year - Sabres are approx $4 mil over now. Kotalik is fodder for the fishes any which way ya wanna cut it.

The former, however, will need to be signed as they are core to this roster. Signing Grags to a two-way (again...not verified...just assuming in arguendo) makes him easier to move, either via trade or (obviously) relegated to the AHL. This gives the Sabres another out option cap-wise.

How does that benefit Gragnani? Glad you asked...

2. The Sabres keep Grags below 60 games and he becomes a UFA next year. Able to go to whatever team will have him. And believe me teams will want him. Were the Sabres to sign him to a one way deal they wouldn't be as apt to limit his number of games played.

Anyway this is all speculation at this point. My only purpose is to demonstrate why a two-way deal is not necessarily a bad one. Sabres can't afford to give him the one way deal he deserves, so maybe a two way and a wink-wink, nudge-nudge benefits Grags long term.

....and maybe buy Regier enough time to realize it's Sekera who should be moved.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    1. Sabres will be hard pressed in 2012 to sign both Myers and Ennis (both RFA's) and Boyes, Hecht, and Kotalik (all UFA's).
    Given the changes of late do, who do you see staying next year? Will they be able to keep Myers, Ennis, Gerbe, Enroth? I sure hope so, I really like watching all these guys.

Great writing! Not sure I believe the no experience or your English teacher
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

Quote Originally Posted by Mater View Post
    Given the changes of late do, who do you see staying next year? Will they be able to keep Myers, Ennis, Gerbe, Enroth? I sure hope so, I really like watching all these guys.

Great writing! Not sure I believe the no experience or your English teacher
    Hey, Mater, good to hear from ya!

Ummmm...Myers and Ennis will definitely be signed - no doubt about it. Gerbe becomes an RFA in 2014, and Enroth an RFA in 2013 so the Sabres have some time on those two contracts.

Gerbe is motivated this year, don't be fooled by his new one-way contract. He knows full well if he plays lights-out on the third line this year, he will see a significant spike in ice time next year w/ the anticipated departure of Boyes, Hecht and Kotalik.

The magic number for Miller is 65. This is the number of games played he believes is key to him being rested enough for a long, deep playoff run. The onus of that burden sits squarely on Enroth's shoulders. Ruff has never met a backup he liked...or trusted. If Enroth can quickly demonstrate that he is capable of winning thereby further solidifying Ruff's trust in him, then he could very well see 15-20 games this year. That's a big leap of faith for Lindy...so we shall see.

Very exciting times in Pegulaville!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ace

Awesome thanks Bomm
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

Banned

what do you guys think of BUF this season? Do they not seem like a team on the rise? Consider the following

-solid goal-tending - Miller is money, he just needs a little help, if his team starts competing at a high level, he'll rally round them and elevate his game, he's just that kind of goalie
    -improved forwards - they added Boyes and Leino and dumped Connoly's raggedy ass.
    -improved D- added Ehrhoff, and Myers has another year under his belt, Regehr is a perfect shutdown guy who will skool the youngsters well in how to play D

I think the stock of everyone on BUF has to be considered bullish this season

The Wolverine

Yeah, I think looking at balance they appear to be in a good position. Other than Miller they don't have one dominant player, but have solid depth everywhere so I would expect them to have a good season.

Fantasy wise - will be interesting to see how the forward lines shape up, as some projections may have to be tempered if a couple of them get the shaft in terms of ice time. Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Ennis, Boyes, Leino, Gerbe - eight guys for six 'scoring' spots. Will it be top heavy or more shared/even ice time? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    what do you guys think of BUF this season? Do they not seem like a team on the rise? Consider the following

-solid goal-tending - Miller is money, he just needs a little help, if his team starts competing at a high level, he'll rally round them and elevate his game, he's just that kind of goalie
    -improved forwards - they added Boyes and Leino and dumped Connoly's raggedy ass.
    -improved D- added Ehrhoff, and Myers has another year under his belt, Regehr is a perfect shutdown guy who will skool the youngsters well in how to play D

I think the stock of everyone on BUF has to be considered bullish this season
    Very much on the rise, McGoo, most definitely, and it starts at the top. Pegula has gone out of his way in demonstrating his commitment to creating an overall environment that is conducive to not only winning but player development as well - including prospects. People should not discount nor undervalue his buy-back of the Rochester Amerks. Yes, it is a marketing strategy, no doubt. But it also enables the players to have readily available access to trainers and staff. Prospect development is central to Pegula's formula of team success, and Ted Black's implementation is geared toward achieving this.

As for the addition of players over the summer, let me just say "Hot diggidy!"
    Here's how I'm looking at it....

With the exception of the 09'-'10 season when the Sabres goal differential was a nice .37 [ahem], every year since '07 their differential has been in the .2 range. That means there were a significant number of games won/lost by the narrowest of margins - not to mention the extra expended energy in so doing. Let's face it, if a team is constantly battling game-in.game-out to eek out a win or just to avoid losing they're using up a lot more energy then teams w/larger goal differentials. Simple really, chasing expends more energy than being chased.

The recently acquired summertime additions will go far in achieving a cushion in the GF/GA team differential. Regehr's shutdown, hard-hitting style will do wonders for Miller's GAA. It may not effect Miller's overall wins, however, due to the fact that ideally he should play less games. Look for a slight increase.

Ehrhoff and Myers are going to make a potent power play pairing. Special teams generally is important, but even more so in the playoffs. Teams learn to respect you a lot quicker if you're able to capitalize on their mistakes, over-eagerness, or quick, knee-jerk temper tantrums.

...and thank the Lordy for Leino. The last thing we needed was another perimeter shooter. I believe he'll do well as a pivot (his natural position), setting up plays (Ennis' stock takes a huge jump) and added some grit to the forwards (body size was wasted on Stafford).

Regehr also will go far in Myers' progression to defensive stud-dom (???). Myers discovered last year his ability to crush opponents. Regehr wiil teach him the finer points of his craft, transforming Myers into a Pronger-esqe beast....capable of defeating the evil Chara-monster.

BTW....I heard Chara hunts unicorns in his spare time. True.

Sorry for the ramble...but i get all gushy thinking of the season ahead. I could go on, but work calls.

'Till next time....
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; August 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Default Ya don't say?

At the risk of stating the obvious, Regier is not yet finished with his moves this off-season. If being $3+ mil over the cap wasn't evidence enough for you, maybe this interview will convince you.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...-not-done-yet/

Enjoy.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I am interested in your take on Boyes. Just acquired him, hoping for a comeback, but I am not really a believer.

Seems like there are better options in the top six, but maybe he is used as a PP guy?

Better yet, would love to see him shipped to Winnipeg - any word on trade options?

If not, what can be expected?
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Sorry if this has already been covered, but I am interested in your take on Boyes. Just acquired him, hoping for a comeback, but I am not really a believer.

Seems like there are better options in the top six, but maybe he is used as a PP guy?

Better yet, would love to see him shipped to Winnipeg - any word on trade options?

If not, what can be expected?
    Hey, loco man, very sorry for the delayed response (home ownership is a time consuming bee-atch).

Is Boyes top-six? Ultimately, no, I don't see him in that role on a consistent basis. He could find spot duty, however, I like him as a third line RW-er for 50pts (slightly optimistic).

Ummmm...yeah the Sabres could move him. They need to get under - that is no secret. Burying Morrisonn and Kotalik would do it, but they also need to take into account re-signing Ennis and Myers next year.

Moving salary out is another option. So they would need to move players worthy of a decent pick coming back...methinks. Boyes is one, Pommer another...also one of Weber/Gragnani in some combo would shed the needed salary and supply Regier with a nice pick in return (he covets those).

I see a combo of the two options providing the best option, both long and short term. Bury both Kotalik and Morrisonn now, and purge them when they become UFA's in 2012. Move in combo or not:Pommer (not needed on the power play anymore w/ Lieno and Ehrhoff), Boyes, Hecht (doubtful due to help in acquiring Ehrhoff) and one of Weber/Gragnani.

Those moves should provide Sabres w/ enough room to get under now, and re-sign Ennis and Myers next year.
    @SmittysRant

Just a quick follow-up re the whole cap-space-trade-or-bury-salary issue...

In an interview yesterday (can't find the audio, sorry), when asked how he would prefer to get under the cap, Regier is quoted as saying:

I think we'll probably, more than anything, look toward the trade market and see what we can do there.

Just something to keep in mind if you're an owner of Boyes, Pommer, Hecht, Weber, Gragnani or Sekera (purely me speculating). All have predictable production so potential trade partners would know exactly what they're getting for their buck.

Kotalik and Morrisonn are also obvious choices but....who the heck wants them?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Thanks BB

50 points would be fine on this end, as Boyes was a throw in on a deal.

It would be GREAT if he was shipped to the peg or somewhere, but I am assuming they will start the season with him and see how it goes.

cheers
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Back to Back games

The magic number for Miller is 65. This is the number of games played he believes is key to him being rested enough for a long, deep playoff run. The onus of that burden sits squarely on Enroth's shoulders. Ruff has never met a backup he liked...or trusted. If Enroth can quickly demonstrate that he is capable of winning thereby further solidifying Ruff's trust in him, then he could very well see 15-20 games this year. That's a big leap of faith for Lindy...so we shall see.
    The recently acquired summertime additions will go far in achieving a cushion in the GF/GA team differential. Regehr's shutdown, hard-hitting style will do wonders for Miller's GAA. It may not effect Miller's overall wins, however, due to the fact that ideally he should play less games. Look for a slight increase.
    Not sure how much this matters, but Buffalo plays a ridiculously high number of back-to-back games this season - it happens 21 times. I'd imagine that'll contribute to lowering Miller's games played, and/or perhaps his performance on those nights when he does play 2 in a row. Thoughts? Does this affect the rest of the team as well?
    Icy Dead People

Limited keeper H2H (G A +/- PIM PPP SOG BLK W GAA SV%); 14-teams, 18-man rosters; 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 5D, 1 Util, 2G, 3BN; keep 7

C: Getzlaf, Malkin
    LW: Hall
    RW: St Louis
    D: Subban
    G: Quick, Niemi

Quote Originally Posted by spencergough View Post
    Not sure how much this matters, but Buffalo plays a ridiculously high number of back-to-back games this season - it happens 21 times. I'd imagine that'll contribute to lowering Miller's games played, and/or perhaps his performance on those nights when he does play 2 in a row. Thoughts? Does this affect the rest of the team as well?
    A very good point - one I overlooked - I don't see this as having any ill effect on the rest of the team, in any negative way. Personally, I think riding the energy of back-to-back games will increase production.

As for Miller, yes, it could certainly have an adverse effect on him if he were to play an inordinate number of back-to-back games. Especially, as the season advances.

Conversely, that's why I believe Enroth will will be given an opportunity to play a significant number of games (more so than any other Sabres back-up). That said....Ruff will quickly lose confidence in so doing, should Enroth string together a few loses outta the gate.

Another factor to consider is the improved defense - most notably Regehr -should theoretically lead to a decrease in opposing team's SOG. Consequently, Miller (again, theoretically) should have a relatively lighter work load game-in/game-out.

Again, lots of extraneous factors at play, but the signals direct us to a decrease in games played with Miller, coupled with a better W/L ratio and GAA.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; August 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM.
    @SmittysRant