Page 14 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Now the reason I came here :

Bomm, two quick questions on Montador (UFA) and Sekera (RFA) -

Will both be in Sabres uniforms in the fall? If so what do you expect out of them?

Tell me your thoughts and visions on these guys going forward.

Thanks!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Now the reason I came here :

Bomm, two quick questions on Montador (UFA) and Sekera (RFA) -

Will both be in Sabres uniforms in the fall? If so what do you expect out of them?

Tell me your thoughts and visions on these guys going forward.

Thanks!
    Buffalo have a good core of D with Myers, Gragnani, Leopold, Weber and Butler. Morrisonn has 1 more year on his contract at $2m but it is possible he gets bought out to open a spot but not sure who gets it.

I expect Montador will be odd man out. Sabres have three RFA D with Gragnani, Butler and Sekera. I am sure Gragnani gets signed and one of Butler or Sekera will get signed. Sabres also have some solid D coming along with Drew Schiestel, Braydon McNabb,and Mark Pysyk so they no longer need Montador. It is also posible that Sabres go after a UFA D like Pitkanen or Kaberle just to complicate things a bit. This will be one to watch as July 1 approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    Buffalo have a good core of D with Myers, Gragnani, Leopold, Weber and Butler. Morrisonn has 1 more year on his contract at $2m but it is possible he gets bought out to open a spot but not sure who gets it.

I expect Montador will be odd man out. Sabres have three RFA D with Gragnani, Butler and Sekera. I am sure Gragnani gets signed and one of Butler or Sekera will get signed. Sabres also have some solid D coming along with Drew Schiestel, Braydon McNabb,and Mark Pysyk so they no longer need Montador. It is also posible that Sabres go after a UFA D like Pitkanen or Kaberle just to complicate things a bit. This will be one to watch as July 1 approaches.
    They'll et Montador walk, and bury Morrisonn in the AHL in case of injuries he'd get the call up. Neither are worth owning.

Sekera's the tricky one cuz his transition play sucks, but he obviously has the offense. The offense hinges on him being allowed to skate freely up ice Trouble is he panics in his own end when pressured to the point of being a liability. Philly, demonstrated this to perfection. This, in my opinion, nullifies any positives brought to the table. I say move him, unless coaches firmly believe there is a room for legitimate improvement in this facet to his game. I am not convinced.

Gragnani is more than capable of doing everything Sekera ought, plus isnot the defensive liability. Far from it, in fact. Calm and composed, despite...hell...almost in spite of the forecheck. Makes great outlet passes, etc...

Kaberle is an option, certainly, but I tend to lean towards Bieksa. Money would be a better fit...younger...and none of the baggage that Kabs brings.

My quick two cents...
    @SmittysRant

Exclamation Stafford

Well nothing like a Stafford signing to draw me out of vacation mode. I was going to forgo posting here until after the SCF - figured I would give way to those with a dog still in the fight. Professional courtesy, as it were.

But no. Here I am, and, let me just say, probably the only Buffalonian not impressed. I dunno...am I too hard on the guy???

Terms of the deal have not yet been released so I really can't comment on specifics, but I hope it's minimal impact cap-wise.

Why, Bomm?

Glad you asked.

The Sabres are spending a lot of money on average wingers specifically (Boyes + Pommer + Vanek = $16+ mil), not to mention forwards generally (Connolly 4.5, Roy 4.0 and Hecht 3.25). Not exactly an A-List of forwards, especially come playoff time. And I am sorry but the playoffs are where you earn your stripes (Briere). We should all be acutely aware of this given the drama currently unfolding before our eyes.

Stafford has never demonstrated the ability nor the willingness to kick it into the next gear come playoff time. He just does not impress me at all. I can't say it enough times.

Also, the Sabres need help up the gut; this is no secret. They need to clear some cap space to make any sort of significant move if they are thinking about a top line center. So I guess it's safe to say Boyes is a casualty of this signing?

For his initial off season move, Regier could have chosen a better example to demonstrate this change of strategy/no purse strings attitude we're all supposedly apart.

I will save further comment until I see the details of the contract, but as far as I am concerned Stafford has a lot of work to prove he is worthy of any new deal.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; June 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Well nothing like a Stafford signing to draw me out of vacation mode. I was going to forgo posting here until after the SCF - figured I would give way to those with a dog still in the fight. Professional courtesy, as it were.

But no. Here I am, and, let me just say, probably the only Buffalonian not impressed. I dunno...am I too hard on the guy???

Terms of the deal have not yet been released so I really can't comment on specifics, but I hope it's minimal impact cap-wise.

Why, Bomm?

Glad you asked.

The Sabres are spending a lot of money on average wingers specifically (Boyes + Pommer + Vanek = $16+ mil), not to mention forwards generally (Connolly 4.5, Roy 4.0 and Hecht 3.25). Not exactly an A-List of forwards, especially come playoff time. And I am sorry but the playoffs are where you earn your stripes (Briere). We should all be acutely aware of this given the drama currently unfolding before our eyes.

Stafford has never demonstrated the ability nor the willingness to kick it into the next gear come playoff time. He just does not impress me at all. I can't say it enough times.

Also, the Sabres need help up the gut; this is no secret. They need to clear some cap space to make any sort of significant move if they are thinking about a top line center. So I guess it's safe to say Boyes is a casualty of this signing?

For his initial off season move, Regier could have chosen a better example to demonstrate this change of strategy/no purse strings attitude we're all supposedly apart.

I will save further comment until I see the details of the contract, but as far as I am concerned Stafford has a lot of work to prove he is worthy of any new deal.
    Spot on imho. I like Stafford, and it was a good move for the Sabres to keep him, ...but at $4M per year a team signing him as a RFA would have had to surrender a first round pick, and a third round pick.

I can't see any team being willing to do so, however if they had, Reiger could have still chosen to match it, though arguably the Sabres would have been better served by accepting the draft pick compensation.

Kind of reminds me of the Flyers signing of Scott Hartnell a few years back, ...nice player, but by signing him at an above market rate, it handcuffs the team down the line, and detracts somewhat from the attractiveness of that player.

(....On the other hand, my criticism of the cost of the signing practically guarantees Stafford smashes the 35 goal, 70 point mark next season, and then emerges as a playoff warrior, and perpetual Sabres "go to" guy.)
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Took a long time off from posting anything here for several reasons, not the least of which were needed a break, absorb in the sheer pleasure of just watching the SCF, busy with new house stuff.

Well, I have been away too damn long (miss me?). Nothing like an NHL draft and all the rumors that go along w/it to get me all riled up!

Consider my bad self back.

So what's the word, Bomm?

Glad you asked....

Here's the situation (nut shell version): It's no secret the Sabres need both a big-bodied center (no more shorties, please) and and first line, shut down d-man. The cap has been raised, and we're all plenty aware that Pegula fears no cap. In fact, he laughs at your sill little cap (pffffffffffft!!!)

Sabres will need to re-sign those they deem....well, ummmm...re-sign-able [ahem]. They will include Sekera, Enroth, Gerbe, Gragnani, Weber, Butler and......McCormick. I throw McCormick in the pot because I think he is very deserving as long as his expectations of salary are tempered. In addition they will need a million+ in reserves for any emergency call-ups.

This should leave approx ten million with which to play. Imagine that, playing with ten million???

So it's obvious they can't go nuts at both C and D - this year anyway. Center is tricky because beyond Richards there's really no one worth making a move on...IMO. Not the kind of move the Sabres need to make , anyway. So that leaves acquiring one via trade.

Definite possibility, but that would come at quite the expense of future picks and prospects. Call me crazy but I really don't see Darcy leading with "Dean, buddy, have I got a deal for you! Connolly + 1st for Stamkos. How 'bout tha....Dean? Hello, Dean?!?"

Again, the trade route is a possibility, but after listening to some local radio pundits I think I like two of the ideas tossed about.

First, go after Jovanovski. He'll sign a relatively inexpensive two year deal and provide some much needed vet presence on a young d-core (ie covering for Sekera's brain farts).

Second, make a big move up in the draft for Couturier. Yes, I said that....stop...stop laughing, I'm serious. Sabres scout is on this morning dropping hints left and right about their need at center and how Couturier is dropping down everyone's charts. In fact, making that move would allow for an upgrade at defense.

Whether or not it (the move up) actually occurs is anyone's guess at this point. But with the draft fast approaching, Pegula's wallet wide open, and this breath of fresh air that is "thinking outside of the box" I really like the possibilities on this side of Lake Erie.

More later...
    @SmittysRant

Just thinking out loud here...

What if instead of trading up for Couturier they decide to give up their first rounder for a Center that can help them now?

Positives would certainly be that they wouldn't have to deplete a very deep farm in order to move up to a five-spot. Also, they wouldn't have to wait on player development.

Negatives...only drawback I see is they would have to package the pick w/ a player in order to get the type of center they need/want.

Is Carter in play here? He certainly has the size and upside the Sabres are in need of, not to mention with Pegula in town Carter's contract is no problem (assuming his personality fits within the team).

Does Philly deal him to a conference nemesis? Does Philly even want #16 or are they aiming higher? Those are tough hurdles to get over in my mind, but not necessarily a deal breaker. So let's play along...

16 & Gerbe?
    16 & Hecht?
    16 & Gaustad?

Dunno...we need Gooses grit and faceoff wins. Gerbe is a fan fav, and Hecht seems to lite in that deal. Maybe the Sabres throw in a 4th rounder too?

Well I will continue to ponder this. If anyone has any comment, would love to hear. In the mean time, if Regier plans to keep his job beyond 2011-12 he better be thinking outside of the box. His SOP will not get the job done.

That I am certain.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Please draft Grimaldi so you can make a line that averages 5"6

Gerbe Grimaldi Ennis
    (5"5) (5"6) (5"7)

Make it happen!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Please draft Grimaldi so you can make a line that averages 5"6

Gerbe Grimaldi Ennis
    (5"5) (5"6) (5"7)

Make it happen!
    lmao...too damn funny. That would make Roy the dominant male of the "Lilliputian-4", as I like to refer to them.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think there's a lot of teams trying to get in the top 5-10 in this draft... Honestly, where the Sabres are sitting is a pretty nice position. Chance to land any of McNeill, Scheifele, Beaulieu, Klefbom, Morrow, Siemens, etc.

Obviously better options in top 8 but might be hard pressed to get in there. And not a lot of teams out there willing to part with good centers ATM other than Philly and they're looking to get top 8 for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I think there's a lot of teams trying to get in the top 5-10 in this draft...
    True.

Honestly, where the Sabres are sitting is a pretty nice position. Chance to land any of McNeill, Scheifele, Beaulieu, Klefbom, Morrow, Siemens, etc.
    True. But, again, Regier won't last beyond a year w/his business as usual approach. I'm not saying he has to blow up the roster (ala Philly), but sitting on his cache of decent but not elite prospects isn't going to win him any praise. Pegula was rather emphatic on the cup-within-three-years speech, so it would seemingly behoove Regier to utilize that prospect depth he's accumulated over the years, and obtain a key player or two.

That's my take anyway.

And not a lot of teams out there willing to part with good centers ATM other than Philly and they're looking to get top 8 for sure..
    Very valid point. That's the puzzler right there....
    @SmittysRant

Well Regehr would certainly add some size to the blueline.

Well Regehr would certainly add some size to the blueline.
    Just about to comment on that....looks like Dreger is reporting that Regehr is asking to waive his no-trade clause for a move to Buff.

He would be the big body guy I was alluding to earlier (ala Jovanovski). So that would be one piece of the puzzle.

EDIT: I hope they moved sekera as opposed to Gragnani
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; June 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Thumbs up Regehr Update

Source: Regehr inquiring about Buffalo
    June 23, 2011 - 5:59 PM | Comment
    MINNEAPOLIS -- Robyn Regehr, reportedly asked by Calgary to waive his no-movement clause to be traded to the Sabres, has been doing his due diligence on Buffalo and Western New York, a source said this afternoon.
    The defenseman has called at least one former teammate who is familiar with Buffalo. Regehr has calmly been discussing the scenario that would see the 31-year-old leave the only NHL team for which he's ever played.
    The Sabres had no comment on the proposed deal.

Sources go on to say a stalker known only as bomm bastic has been relentlessly hounding Regehr via text messaging, while sending him a "year's supply of chicken wings" from the Anchor Bar.

---John Vogl
    @SmittysRant

Hasn't decided yet eh?

Think first and a prospect or even just the first and a later pick are a pretty fair deal for both sides.