Page 50 of 97 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Vancouver Canucks

canucks had a bad year, it happens. every team goes through this (except detroit...until this year maybe) where the wheels just fall off despite the team not being that bad (see the flyers a few years ago).

colorado has pretty much the same team as last year (except mackinnon) but once they switched coaches and tweaked the system a bit they started winning.

its quite clear torts probably isnt the answer. we definitely underappreciate the contribution AV made by playing a style that generally maximized our team's strengths but lacked in the hard categories like hitting/blocked shots. was it worth trying torts? in hindsight i would still say yes since we needed to play harder but it just didnt work out. if it did, we'd consider the hiring a genius move.

a makeover is in order.
    2009 division win/second round
    2010 division win/second round
    2011 presidents trophy/cup final
    2012 presidents trophy/1st round
    2013 division win/1st round
    2014 (likely) miss playoffs

pretty natural ascension and decline there. some re-tooling is needed so we can get back to the level in 2009 with potential for more.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Novice

Not much Canucks talk going on here and I know why, all this losing can be depressing. I think that the Canucks are in good shape going forward, so I'm not too worried about our position within the league but I am growing a bit concerned about whether or not the moves required to right the ship will be made by this management group.

I believe that they made the right decision regarding their goalies..... well at least somewhat. Although I saw the talent in Schneider, I also saw a goalie who is terrible at playing the puck and although he stole many games he never stole a game that mattered. For them to buyout Luongo's contract and pay Schneider among the top 5 or 10 goalies in the league on a longterm contract would have worried me. They really should have traded Schneider immediately after losing to LA in the first round in 2012. Schneider went 1 and 1 in games 4 and 5 of that series and finished the season in net while Luongo watched from the bench, every team in the league took notice and if Schneider was actively shopped at the 2012 NHL draft, I'm sure they would have gotten significant offers. Not to mention, by sending out Schneider and effectively emptying the pipeline behind Luongo would have been a huge boost to Luongo's fragile ego. Speaking of which, it seems that the Canucks were'nt sold on Luongo long term either and although his long term cap hit made him the 10th or so highest paid goalie in the league their lack of faith in either of their goalies made them stumble. Luongo asked to be traded because it "looked" like Schneider was their goalie of the future and Canucks management did nothing to either confirm or deny this as being true. So they tried to trade Luongo and the 11 years remaining on his contract, just after he had been outplayed and surpassed by an unproven young goalie. They couldn't find a team willing to pay up for him and sat tight until they were forced to trade Schneider a year later at the 2013 draft. Luongo was still unhappy with the situation and they finally worked out a trade with the Panthers after their blue chip goalie prospect took a big step back this season. Even after this whole debacle, The Canucks came out of it with a fantastic prospect in Bo Horvat who is poised to become one of the better 2nd line centermen in the NHL in a few years. They also took on Florida's unfinished project in Markstrom who only a year ago was thought by many to be a sure fire starter in the NHL and a serviceable young center in Matthias who is happy to play in a hockey market like Vancouver. All in all not bad...... considering.

Now the Canucks have options in net. They have two young goalies who have a chance of emerging as a starting goalie in the NHL, or they might go after one of the free agent goalies that will become available this summer.

This year the Canucks really stumbled, and as a fan, I'm glad they did. They could have been a bit healthier and limped into the playoffs but there was really no chance for them to get past the likes of St. Louis, Chicago, LA, Anaheim or San Jose. No chance for them to win a cup in 2014. If they did make the playoffs and god forbid even won a round in the playoffs against say Colorado or Minnesota only to get clobbered by a better team in the 2nd round they might have some sense that they are still close. Missing the playoffs altogether is the best thing that could have happened this year because it forces the entire organization to re-evaluate.

Trading two or three veterans is the best way for this team to transition. They probably need to replace the Coach, some will say the GM as well but I for some reason still believe that Gillis is capable of making schrewd trades although I cringe as I write that because of the way things were handled regarding Luongo and Schneider. Room needs to be made for a new generation of Canucks and the Sedins are staying whether us fans like it or not. It is clear that Kessler has to be traded and I believe that Edler should as well. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Tanev are a solid top 4. Not fantastic but solid. Edler would be a better defenceman on a different team and would command a large return as defencemen of hos caliber almost never become available in todays NHL.

If it was up to me I would certianly trade Both Kessler and Edler. So what would I look for in return? I would try to get two great pieces rather than several decent ones. The rumors of Pittsburg offering Sutter, Depres and a late 1st don't excite me. Edler played very well when paired with Karlsson in the Olympics and why wouldn't Ottawa jump at trying to acquire Alex Edler but would they give up Zibanejad for him? Hard to say. What about this: Buffalo looks like they will have one of the top two picks and probably will have the Islanders top 5 pick as well. Would Buffalo trade their two top 5 picks for two eltablished NHL players? Both of them under 30 years old and former allstars remember. It sure would help the sabers immediately and would take a lot of pressure off their young core players already in place. I'm not sure the Canuck would even do this but as a guy who follows the team, I would love it. two picks in the top five and three in the top 11 or 12 would be a huge add for the Canucks prospect pool. Moving Kessler and Edler out along with buying out or trading Booth would really open up some spots for emerging talent. The Sedins can't carry this team by themselves, they never could.

Dobber Sports Monster

With the Canucks loss ( Shutout loss to Anaheim @ home and first-time NHL'r John Gibson ) they are now offically elimiated from the playoffs. Who's head rolls? Gillis? Torts? Player trades? Time to take corrective action to fix what was not broken in the first place, that Gillis ultimiately broke...begins. The summer of 2014, what lies ahead?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    With the Canucks loss ( Shutout loss to Anaheim @ home and first-time NHL'r John Gibson ) they are now offically elimiated from the playoffs. Who's head rolls? Gillis? Torts? Player trades? Time to take corrective action to fix what was not broken in the first place, that Gillis ultimiately broke...begins. The summer of 2014, what lies ahead?
    Kesler wants out... Evander Kane wants out... make it happen whoever ends up GMing in Vancouver!

Seriously though, I think Edler could go too. He keeps doing the stupid things that were 'learning curve acceptable' as a 24yr old... but he's 27 now. With his cap hit and name recognition he could get a solid return. (yes his Corsi wasn't terrible whereas his PDO was but I still think he should get moved).
    And get rid of Booth, he's only ever productive on a non-playoff team.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Kesler wants out... Evander Kane wants out... make it happen whoever ends up GMing in Vancouver!
    Interesting. I'm a bit worried that E. Kane is a bit of a problem, but I think a bigger city would mask some of his issues. Although Vancouver is bigger, the coverage of him wouldn't be any less than in Winnipeg. I think Kane would benefit from a few years in an American market (like Florida or Tampa or Dallas or Carolina...). Somewhere where he could walk out of the arena after the game without constant attention.

As for major changes in Vancouver, I'm more and more worried that heads won't roll. I wish they weren't facing so many injuries. I'm petrified that Torts and GMMG will get a pass because of them. I read an article recently where Torts argued that he had to get away from his game plan because of major injuries and that they had to get back to what they set out to be at the beginning of the season.

IF they are going to start fresh, they need to do it quickly. Let the new coach and GM make Kesler and Edler deals. Let the new coach and GM draft (with a pretty decent pick). Let MG buy-out Booth. One last move to highlight his tenure of mediocrity.

Looking over his time in Van (http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/...th-the-canucks -- it's a year old, but perhaps that is a good thing for Gillis!), and you'll see how little he actually did for this team:

Highlights:
    1. Getting Hamhuis at a discount -- although that had more to do with the city of Vancouver than MG.
    2. The initial Ehrhoff deal -- that was a steal.

Lowlights:
    1. Every single NHL draft. Hodgson (later disaster ensues), Schroeder, Connauton, Jensen and Corrado are the best he's brought to Vancity (with the exception of the last draft -- which isn't assessable yet). And this is my #1 problem with him. There needs to be something worthwhile in 5 years of drafts!
    2. Hodgson debacle (still not sure what all happened there, but Kassian isn't exactly making it look like a win quite yet)
    3. Luongo contract (which I'll concede, was made 500% worse by the league's rule changes, which were unforeseen)
    4. Some brutal signings: Demitra and Sundin are two that stand out.

Time will tell I suppose. There's a lot for a new GM to work with here methinks. And I wouldn't be shocked if a new GM and coach came in and turned things around for next season with a couple astute moves and some better luck. Make it happen!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Monster

And here it is...

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 10m

Trevor Linden named Canucks president of hockey ops.

Dobber Sports Ninja

What credentials does Trevor Linden bring to the position? I honestly don't know. He could be very qualified, but this smells a lot like the crap the Oilers do and it's been a total disaster for them.

Dobber Sports Guru

I think it's a position with a lot of leeway in terms of responsibilities. What does it really mean?
    Linden's been running businesses (gyms), so he's got some acumen there. But he won't be GM, so it's not like he's drafting or trading.
    This will be fine, and will sell some season tickets, but more will be clear when they hire a GM. Hopefully they go with experience and Linden learns from someone, rather than becomes the leader from day 1.

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Dobber Sports Master

The plus side for Linden is that he seems to be able to deal with people, unlike Mike Gillis... at very least the fans will need a while before the get to chanting 'Fire Linden' in the stands.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

I totally overlooked the fact that he was NHLPA President for so many years. I think that counts as experience in this area.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I think it's a position with a lot of leeway in terms of responsibilities. What does it really mean?
    Linden's been running businesses (gyms), so he's got some acumen there. But he won't be GM, so it's not like he's drafting or trading.
    I heard parts of the press conference, and they actually said Linden is in charge of all hockey matters, including coaching decisions, free agent signings, trades, etc. If that's true, then what does the GM do? Is this why LaFontaine resigned so suddenly after hiring a GM in buffalo? Doesn't colorado have some kinda weird system like this?
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Nucks pick 6th overall

If the top 5 goes as consenus has it planned (Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle), who do the Nucks take in 6th?

To start off, if someone takes a flyer in the top 5 and pushes one of Bennett, Draisaitl or Dal colle out of the top 5, then I think the Nucks select the player who gets bumped.

Outside of that situation, the players that appear to be the most intriguing at 6th overall are: Nick Ritchie, William Nylander, Kaspari Kapenen, Brendan Perlini, Nikolaj Ehlers and Jake Virtanen.

So who is the best fit for what the Canucks need? and who would be considered the best available at 6? or do they look to trade down?

the guys at canucksarmy.com had a good podcast in regards to the teams scouting system and why Virtanen would be a risky pick at 6, due to his overage linemates pushing play, and the Hitmen having the highest team shooting % in the WHL.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/4/15/can...ottery-podcast
    10 Tm, Pts Only Salary Cap Dynasty (UFAs dropped if not signed by July 1st)
    20 Active, 12 AHL/Reserve (AHL Eligibility: Fwd, Dman = 246 NHL GP, G = 150 NHL GP) (Pts: G, A, dman pt 0.5; G = W, SO)

Active (3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6 D, 2G)
    F: Draisaitl, Meier, Forsberg, Huberdeau, Pastarnk, Neidereiter, Ehlers, White, DeBrincat, Mittelstadt, Thomas, Olofsson
    D: Klingberg, Ghost, Klefbom, Sergachev, Fox, Fabbro
    G: Hellebuyck, Gibson
    IR: Point, Niku, Montour

Reserve
    F: Roslovic, Terry, Vesalainen, Suzuki, Tippett
    D: Pilut, Myers, Harley, K. Miller
    G: Demko

Banned

RE: 2. Hodgson debacle (still not sure what all happened there, but Kassian isn't exactly making it look like a win quite yet)

Kassian and Hodgson are both making this look like a STEAL for the Canucks.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    RE: 2. Hodgson debacle (still not sure what all happened there, but Kassian isn't exactly making it look like a win quite yet)

Kassian and Hodgson are both making this look like a STEAL for the Canucks.
    Time will tell. Considering the Nucks might be in dire need of a second line C this summer, I'm not so sure it's a slam dunk yet.
    Either way, it was a mess. Perceived value at the time of the deal was more than Kassian IMO.

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Nucks pick 6th overall

Quote Originally Posted by j_diddy View Post
    If the top 5 goes as consenus has it planned (Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle), who do the Nucks take in 6th?

To start off, if someone takes a flyer in the top 5 and pushes one of Bennett, Draisaitl or Dal colle out of the top 5, then I think the Nucks select the player who gets bumped.
    I'll admit to not knowing too terribly much about the draft class yet, but Nylander sounds to be the most exciting. I'm on board for a bit of excitement.