Page 41 of 97 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 91 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Damn Canucks!

Any thoughts on off season moves?
    I'll start with the obvious...one of our G has to go if for no other reason than so that we don't ice a team with close to 5m sitting on the bench unable to help. Hopefully Gillis can pull off some magic and get at least a little value back, but the cap space itself is wasted where it is.

Forwards...IMHO VAN has too many interchangeable pieces [speedy forwards with mediocre offensive ability...not pure checkers, not particularly physical, not particularly gifted scorers]. The versatility is helpful when a top 6-er goes down, but it has hampered AV's ability to ice trustworthy role players in multiple situations [specifically defensive zone starts]. When the coach doesn't trust any of his bottom six in his own zone then we have a problem. With this in mind I suspect any number of players could be heading out [based on value of return] to bring in more size, physicality, but dependable defensive [or faceoff] ability. Possible targets would easily include...Booth, Raymond, Higgins, Lappiere, Hansen. I think Higgins and Hansen are the most useful so I'd like to see them stick, but these similar players have to move to bring in versatility.

Defense...I see the same problem as with our F...too many similar pieces. With the exception of Hamhuis none of our D are really genuine offensive studs or defensive juggernauts. They're all decent to solid defenders with some mobility and puck-moving skills to help our quick breakout and can pinch in a score goals periodically. It's no mystery why VAN has so many D with decent point totals over the years, but none in elite company [with the odd exception]. IMHO VAN would benefit greatly if they were able to add a really legitimate PP quarterback [which would be super hard] or a couple of truly reliable defensive gems for PK and to augment/compliment the other styles of puck-movers we have. It's be great to have a player like Gorges or Orpik on our team...rock solid, puck-blocking D. Most likely guys to be moved or bought out...Ballard [obviously], Alberts, and Bieksa. Hamhuis is too good to move and I liked how Garrison played down the stretch. Tanev is cool as a cucumber and Corrado has some moxi to his game [and he's inexpensive].

Too many headcases...Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre and Bieksa are notoriously chirpy players. Having a few of these are valuable. Having too many of these simply leads to stupid penalties and distracting soap operas where all the finger pointing is at refs or the other team instead of taking responsibilty individually for mistakes and poor play. I would move two of these guys...namely Bieksa and Lapierre.

Anyway, it's easy on paper, but Gillis will have his work cut out for him.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Padawan

What would a reasonable return would be for bieksa??

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    What would a reasonable return would be for bieksa??
    Obviously this is simply my opinion [for the record I don't think Bieksa is going anywhere and I have no earthly idea what Gillis considers "reasonable" when entertaining trade offers]...hypothetically we're trading Bieksa to MTL. MTL has 3 D I would target as filling a hole in VAN...Gorges, Emelin, and Tinordi. Gorges is more the veteran of the group and Tinordi of course is still a raw prospect.

I have no idea about the haggling to even things out, but I'd be happy to pretty much trade Bieksa straight up for any one of these players. I think Bieksa is more versatile, but he also costs a bit more so VAN would save some cap space. GM's could also add a 2nd or 3rd rounder to "even things out" if necessary.

Hypothetically...

Bieksa for Gorges straight up.

Bieksa + a 2nd for Emelin + a 4th [or maybe a 5th]

Bieksa + a 3rd for Tinordi
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Pro

So here's my list

1. Goalie has to go. I don't care which one.
    2. PP powerback for sure.
    3. Third line center.
    4. Get rid of one of the 5 4mill dmen. Either buyout ballard or trade Edler or Bieksa.
    5. Make a trade at the deadline to move up in the draft not down.

I'm guessing they don't resign Lappy and Raymond but I guess we will find out.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Stud

Hey Gillis, did you watch the Islanders battle hard against one of the elite teams?! Did a lightbulb switch on right about now?! Good time to sell one of our goalies - future is bright for the Isles (Nabokov? meh..Schneider/Luongo?! hell yes!), hello!! I dont care, trade Schneider or Luongo.....call Mr Snow to inquire and sell!! I wouldnt mind a couple of: Bailey, Reinhart, Nelson, Neiderreiter...hmmm Strome? :O
    Fantasy Hockey Keeper Leagues
    {Linden Cup Year 9: 16 GM Points only - Hockeydraft} "Back 2 Back Champions!"
    {TBIM Year 3: 18 GM H2H - Fantrax}
    {NFHA II Inaugural Year 1: 20 GM Roto Salary cap- Fantrax}
    {ZFHL Year 1: 30 GM Roto Salary cap - Fantrax}
    {NHDL Year 1: 16 GM H2H - Fantrax}

Dobber Sports Stud

The Vancouver Province's Jason Botchford thinks that the Canucks' best bet for a "reboot" is trading Alex Edler.
    Of course, this is not easy because Edler in January signed a five-year, $30 million deal, and he took less to stay with the team in order to help them bring other players in. But Botchford says Vancouver's defense is a strength, and it has a number of young players ready to play bigger roles. Edler could be a nice chip to acquire some forward help -- and help them get bigger up front. Edler's no-trade clause doesn't start until July, so the Canucks have time to gauge the market, which Botchford thinks would include the Flyers and Ducks.
    Source: Vancouver Province
    May 11 - 10:59 PM

[Daydreaming] Bobby Ryan..aahh...B Schenn or Couturier..oooh..that works for this fan!
    Fantasy Hockey Keeper Leagues
    {Linden Cup Year 9: 16 GM Points only - Hockeydraft} "Back 2 Back Champions!"
    {TBIM Year 3: 18 GM H2H - Fantrax}
    {NFHA II Inaugural Year 1: 20 GM Roto Salary cap- Fantrax}
    {ZFHL Year 1: 30 GM Roto Salary cap - Fantrax}
    {NHDL Year 1: 16 GM H2H - Fantrax}

Dobber Sports Initiate

My thoughts are:

-Deal Schnieder cuz you arent getting any assets for luongo and clearly he can still compete
    -Fire AV love em as a coach but he doesnt fit the team anymore and they need to put young players in to play but he wont
    -If AV gets moved than keep ballard he will be fine.. if not that he need to be bought out or sold for a bag of pucks where his value is at
    -Deal edler for an actual top 6 forward
    -Bring in a right handed defenseman because they only have one
    -Dont resign raymond
    -Trade booth his worth to much to not fit in
    -Let the young players play next year... Kid line schroeder Guance Jensen
    -I love derek roy but we need a winger not a center so let him walk
    10 Team Roto League; 20 Keepers;
    Start 3C,3LW,3RW,1U,5D,2G

Stats: G,A,Pts,PPG,PPA,Pims,+/- W,Sv%,Sv
    C: Tavares Thorton H. Sedin
    LW: Moulson Clowe D. Sedin Whitney
    RW: Hossa Gaborik Pomminville Pavelski Purcell Heatley
    D: Bieska Boyle
    G: Smith Nabobov Bishop Lindback Ramo Luongo

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

F: Spezza, Brown, Lecavalier, Horton, Elias, Weiss, Desharnais,
    D: Whitney, Zidlicky, Brodin
    G: Smith, Schnieder
    Farm: Justin Faulk, Ryan Ellis, Krill Kabanov

Dobber Sports Pro

all good stuff.

Playing the kids is working good for the leafs right now

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Wizard

Some great discussion here about the offseason. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) The Canucks have to move Luongo. Maybe they could get more for Schneider, maybe not. It doesn't matter. Luongo was a professional about the entire goalie soap opera this year, but he doesn't want to be there anymore. This is the case even if the team moves Schneider. The Luongo era is over, and the team should be happy just to get the cap space.

2) Regarding the Botchford article about Edler. The team can't just trade Edler if they've made some promises, especially if he took less salary to stay. The only way they can trade Edler is if Edler wants to be moved, or is in full agreement to be traded. If they trade Edler without his blessing, other players will take note, and be reluctant to trust team management. Also, Edler is a Swede and seems to be well liked by his team-mates. I don't think the Sedins (or other parts of the core) would see this as a very popular move. It could have repercussions on team morale.

3) Buyout Booth and Ballard. Re-sign Lapierre (UFA). Re-sign Tanev (RFA). Re-sign Schroeder (RFA, who stays full-time next year).

4) Don't re-sign Raymond, Roy, Alberts. (I think Roy is a better player than people are giving credit, but he wasn't a very good fit in Vancouver)

5) Fire Vigneault. Bring in a new voice and new coach to evaluate the core, and decide what direction to go after this season.

Final Note: Next year is the last season on the Sedins contract. The Canucks need to take one more run (aggressively re-tweak the roster for next year) and then decide what direction to go with the franchise. Because the Sedins are on their last season, I could see AV staying for one more year, and if unsuccessful then the house-cleaning starts next year for the entire team, top to bottom (including Gillis).

Some free agents they should look to add: Forwards - Ribiero, Ryder, Jagr, Clowe, Iginla, Morrow. Defense - Scuderi, Regehr.

Cheers.
    Last edited by MXHockey; May 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Good stuff. Mostly in line with the rest of the discussion. And it makes good sense as you say to give it one more year.

I do think they should shop Schneider and see what options are out there before committing to moving Lou. I am not saying they should definitely move Schneids but they to need to evaluate what return they can get. It opens up the options on who they could add. They could land a cheaper top six option that signing a free agent.

Your list of potential free agents is good and I would add Clarkson, Dupuis and Streit to it. But teams are likely going to have to pay though the nose for the top guys.

But maybe just maybe Gillis could pry away a wayne simmonds type player. Or at least a Varlamov type return. If he can't then we rest assured by keeping Schneids.

I also wonder about RFA's, St Louis has at least 4 expensive signings due this summer. Would the signing rights to Chris Stewart or Berglund be available? Assuming shatt and Pietr are going to fetch huge contracts.

Good points about Edler, especially if you go back and look at how he took out Smith after Smith blockered Daniel's nose. I think Edler fetches the highest return but as you say it could very well disrupt the team chem/attitude.

it will be interesting to see what happens.

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'll have a post up on the CanucksArmy tomorrow detailing five core players who could be on the move (Edler, Burrows, Schroeder - a stretch as a core player, Kesler, and Luongo).

I think Gillis needs to make some retooling moves, similar to what Holmgren did a few summers ago. Focus on the future but don't sell the farm. With the Sedins around, you will have a top line for another 2-4 years.

And moving Edler allows for:

Bieksa/Hamhuis back together (great top pairing)
    Garrison to anchor pairing two, and to move back to the left side

I like a defense of:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
    Garrison-TRADE/SIGNING
    TRADE/SIGNING-Tanev

And bring in a new number seven, and let Corrado play his ass off in the AHL before coming up.

If Corrado has a great camp, could bump Tanev up with Garrison and put Corrado on P3.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    And moving Edler allows for:
    Jeff Skinner!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Jeff Skinner!
    Never thought of that. Interesting....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Never thought of that. Interesting....
    Carolina needs help at defense and they have another top-6 guy coming in the draft... I really think they would move skinner for the right d-man. just not sure edler is the type of d-man they would be looking for.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think he is. Imagine him and Faulk anchoring the top pairing there?

Carolina needs a left side top four guy. Canucks need a scoring top six winger.