Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - February 21

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - February 21

Here you go, guys! I discuss Anderson, Montoya, Halak and Miller in today's School of Block article titled "Re-Energized." Drop your questions and I'll get to them this afternoon.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks Justin! Can you give your top 3 goalies that are possibly underrated now but will breakout/bounce back next year?

Administrator

Bobrovsky vs Lindback: Which of the two do you think most deserves the "goalie of the future" label in fantasy hockey circles?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Curious about your perspective on Hiller's ongoing health issue. Do you see this as a long term concern, or is it just too early to tell?

Dobber Sports Ace

Justin -

Curious on your take on Bobrovksy vs Bryzgalov.

I am really in the market for a stud goalie that gets 80% on his team's starts. I can leave Bobrovsky on the farm if next year is likely to bring an increased work load, but as it stands now, his tandem splits with Boucher make him a costly starter due to complicated roster move procedures.

I feel like Bryzgalov would form a nice goalie core for my dynatsy league with Vokoun, Backstrom, and Rolosson.

I would be parting with a decent young forward and a prospect/pick as well as Bobrovksy to get Bryzgalov. Is this too much in your mind (mainly looking at the value Bobrovksy brings here).

I am optimistic the desert dogs and the Bryzgalov camp will get together on a contract at some point once the ownership situation is resolved. Do you have any thoughts, insights, or expectations here?
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Dobber Sports Master

Where does Vokoun end up playing next year?
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Thanks Justin! Can you give your top 3 goalies that are possibly underrated now but will breakout/bounce back next year?
    This is a great question.

1. Tuukka Rask. This one has to be the most obvious of them all. But I definitely can't ignore him as far as his talent and what he was able to learn this season as far as having to play at his best coming off the bench. He has gotten more consistent in the past few weeks so I think this has been an awesome learning experience for him. He may not be underrated, but his fantasy value is low this year and could be insanely high next year.

2. Martin Brodeur. Especially if Jacques Lemaire is still the head coach. Not sure if he plans on coaching after this season or not. That will be the biggest key to Brodeur's turnaround. Although, you could say he already turned things around, aside from his injuries, he has been much better since the All-Star break.

3. Jaroslav Halak. Many reasons why I think this year was a major adjustment as far as his ability to handle a heavy workload and transition to the Western Conference. This year has been way below expectactions and so it's safe to say he'll be much better next year.

Steve Mason and Henrik Lundqvist could two other guys that I think have been slightly below average and could be much better next year. Maybe toss Jonathan Bernier into the mix, but it's smart to realize that a lot of his issues this year are necessary evils. He's used to playing 80% of games ... this year he's played maybe 30%. That's not easy for anyone.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Hi Justin,

2 quick questions:

1) If you had to pick a Leaf goalie prospect for a keeper league, which of the 4 would you prefer (Gus, Reimer, Rynnas, or Scrivens)?
    I would lean towards Rynnas or Reimer because of the Monster's health and his inability to find the puck with bodies in front of him.

2) Will Neuvirth and Schneider both be starters within 2 seasons?
    I'd toss it up between Rynnas and Reimer. As much as I love Gustavsson, these heart issues are causing major problems for his future. I still think Gustavsson is a terrific talent, but not sure how many teams are going to give him a chance. Reimer is putting on a show for the Leafs right now and I think he fits perfectly with Francois Allaire's coaching style, so he has a lot of good things going for him right now. Rynnas is more raw-skilled and will take longer to excel in the NHL but he's a legit talent with terrific upside. Scrivens has good size but I don't think he has the kind of skill upside Rynnas has. Get Reimer while you can and move him later for a better return.

I would already consider Neuvirth to be the starter, but injuries and the quality play of Varlamov keeps the tandem in Washington very competitive. Another shutout of the Penguins tonight. Everything I have said for years now continues to ring true. He's simply a little more mentally tougher than Varlamov, and therefore more valuable long-term.

Schneider will have at least 1 or 2 chances to become a starter...whether or not he takes advantage of it depends on his situation and where he might be playing. But I think all signs point to yes.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Bobrovsky vs Lindback: Which of the two do you think most deserves the "goalie of the future" label in fantasy hockey circles?
    I think they both hold terrific "goalie of the future" status for now. They have terrific skill sets in their own unique ways. Lindback is bigger, but I think Bobrovsky has a better state of mind as far as handling pressure and reading plays. Lindback still has what I would consider "troublesome" rebound control at times, but since Bobrovsky has been playing more, he has been able to get adjusted to the NHL quicker. In that regard, Bob has the inside track.

The key is weighing the elements in a manner that makes sense to you. Is size more important than experience? Is Mitch Korn's impact more valuable than Philly's goalie coach? All of those elements I think equal out to two awesome prospects and talents that should have a pretty bright future in the next two years.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden Death View Post
    Curious about your perspective on Hiller's ongoing health issue. Do you see this as a long term concern, or is it just too early to tell?
    I'm really scared about the whole thing and I'll be crushed if it's something more serious than lightheadedness. This sort of thing has never happened before in what I can remember covering goalies and I don't know what's going on. For all we know, he could have vertigo. It's very strange and I hope he gets better very quickly. If he doesn't, you have to think Ray Emery is going to work his way into a role in Anaheim sooner rather than later.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Enapai View Post
    Justin -

Curious on your take on Bobrovksy vs Bryzgalov.

I am really in the market for a stud goalie that gets 80% on his team's starts. I can leave Bobrovsky on the farm if next year is likely to bring an increased work load, but as it stands now, his tandem splits with Boucher make him a costly starter due to complicated roster move procedures.

I feel like Bryzgalov would form a nice goalie core for my dynatsy league with Vokoun, Backstrom, and Rolosson.

I would be parting with a decent young forward and a prospect/pick as well as Bobrovksy to get Bryzgalov. Is this too much in your mind (mainly looking at the value Bobrovksy brings here).

I am optimistic the desert dogs and the Bryzgalov camp will get together on a contract at some point once the ownership situation is resolved. Do you have any thoughts, insights, or expectations here?
    I am also optimistic that the Coyotes will re-sign Bryzgalov. I don't think he's the kind of goalie that would be stubborn enough to give up an awesome situation where he's on a good team and clearly "the man" in goal. He can play 80% of the games and he's on a defensive-minded team that has quietly rebuilt in the past couple of years.

I don't think it's a big deal for you to give up Bryzgalov. You have two more starting studs in Backstrom and Vokoun, and Roloson is kind of like the bargain 4th goalie. Think of the risk involved with Bobrovsky. Everything looks great now, but how many raw-skilled goalies that experience success in their first year end up struggling in their second year? The list is long and includes Rask, Howard, Mason, etc etc.

In that regard, the odds are good that another "bobrovsky-type" goalie will come along that you will have no problem snagging when Roloson or Vokoun is ready to be moved. There's never a lack of young talent getting opportunities, and it happens with ~10 goalies a year. This year was Bob, Reimer, Lindback, Bernier, Schneider, Holtby, Lehner, Montoya, etc.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Where does Vokoun end up playing next year?
    I honestly have no idea. I don't really think about those things, really. It could be a number of teams. I usually just sit back and let trades happen without trying to dig into potential moves and then I analyze and dissect as soon as the trade is made. I never expected Anderson to be traded to Ottawa, but I did suspect a trade coming. Same with Emery being signed.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Oops, School of Block article linked to the wrong one!
    Last edited by Raja; March 7, 2011 at 3:35 PM.

The King of Diatribes

BALLS. Let me fix that real quick.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Given your notes on Montoya today, whose fantasy outlook is better next year - Montoya or Salak, next three years?
    20 team H2H keeper, 25 players
    Stats Used: G,A, PPP ,+ -, GWG, SHG, SOG, FW GP, W, SV%, GAA, SO (2 starts per week to qualify)
    C - Start 4 - Crosby, Kopitar, Malkin, Hayes, backlund
    W- Start 8 - Kaprizov, Ovechkin, , seguin (c/w), Toffoli, Pavelski (c/w), Schenn(c/w), Compher, Saad, palat, Danforth
    D- Start 6 Josi, Nurse, Trouba, burns, McCabb, Faulk, walman, Larson
    G- Start 2 - hellebuyck, vasilevsky, Grubauer, A Hill