Page 92 of 414 FirstFirst ... 42 82 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 102 142 192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 6196

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Wow, this Flyers game is just further proof the Leafs are ripe for yet another collapse.

I can't see how Toronto makes the playoffs.
    Absolutely getting dominated by an average (at best) Flyers club.
    Horrible game, and we all miss Gilmour, but theyre making the playoffs
    By the same logic, you can say "I cant see how Philly doesnt make the playoffs"

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not a fan of the line tinkering and still not a fan of carlyle overall

sure, the top line has been shit defensively, but holland lupul clarkson and kadri santorelli winnik have been effective
    why not just give them the tough minutes? especially on home ice
    messing with a good thing to try to fix something else just seems off to me

- - - Updated - - -

Not a fan of the line tinkering and still not a fan of carlyle overall

sure, the top line has been shit defensively, but holland lupul clarkson and kadri santorelli winnik have been effective
    why not just give them the tough minutes? especially on home ice
    messing with a good thing to try to fix something else just seems off to me

Dobber Sports Prodigy

top scoring teams with good special teams and good goaltending dont miss the playoffs

If I wasnt a fan I would be betting everyone and anyone that theyre going to make the playoffs, especially after a loss like tonite. Everyone is basically convinced that since its the leafs theyre going to falter, it would be nice easy money

Dobber Sports Stud

The thing we have this year is more depth to make up for the lack of scoring if the top line goes cold 5v5, so I doubt we have such an exaggerated collapse as last season, but I do believe if they don't start properly implementing a good system, teams will focus on shutting down the neutral zone, and limiting their rush chances(think of the 2-1 Det game recently) where they are most dangerous and we will struggle to get points.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Wfactor View Post
    The thing we have this year is more depth to make up for the lack of scoring if the top line goes cold 5v5, so I doubt we have such an exaggerated collapse as last season, but I do believe if they don't start properly implementing a good system, teams will focus on shutting down the neutral zone, and limiting their rush chances(think of the 2-1 Det game recently) where they are most dangerous and we will struggle to get points.
    Good point
    I dont think were gonna cruise to a 100 plus point season, but just too much has to go wrong for a collapse. Last year the only thing that had to happen was the top lines going cold
    I still scratch my head at the re-signing of carlyle though
    management did their job by getting him more depth this year and i like the team overall but hes just not a great coach
    anaheim was terrible before he was fired
    basically the same team with boudreau and theyre elite again
    thats not a coincidence

call me crazy, but i would like to see eakins re-hired by toronto and given a shot at redemption

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Leafs look improved over last season, but there is a ot of hockey to be played and some very solid teams right behind them. Any number of a handful of teams could make the playoffs this season in the East. Even Columbus. 8-1-1 in their last 10...

Dobber Sports Stud

Post game review
    Flyers 7 - Leafs 4
    Franson (18:13) 1 Assist, 1 PPP, 1 SOG, 5 Hit, 1 Block, -2 PlusMinus, 2:31 PP-TOI
    James VanRiemsdyk (18:33) 1 Goal, 1 PPP, 4 SOG, -1 PlusMinus, 2:31 PP-TOI, 2:02 SH-TOI
    Holland (14:58) 1 Goal, 2 SOG, 2 PIM, 2 Hit, 1 Block, +2 PlusMinus, 53% FO, 1:18 SH-TOI
    Clarkson (14:13) 1 Goal, 3 SOG, 2 PIM, 3 Hit, +2 PlusMinus, 1:45 PP-TOI
    Rielly (20:16) – 1 Assist, 1 SOG, 2 Hit, 1 Block, -1 PlusMinus, 1:45 PP-TOI

Rielly showed great offensive instincts on the first goal of the game, swinging wide around the flyers D and feeding a perfect pass to Lupul to open the scoring.
    Booth once again looks really good playing in a bottom line role and I believe it’s only a matter of time before Carlyle starts utilizing him in a more offensive line.
    Panik showing good speed, and fore-checking ability.
    In the third Randy leaned on the 4th and 3rd line more than previously and we won the possession numbers, and evened the balance of play slightly, miss plays still plagued our breakout but we did get one goal back after being down 7-3
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    They are only 6 points up on a playoff spot. They don't need a collapse to fall out of the race. It will be more of a slow fade this year.
    lol, actually boston is FOUR points behind

tough loss tonite, couldnt catch a break
    and the last second goal was a killer
    still, were lucky others have been losing too

I loved the strategy of starting the game with 3 completely brand new lines, its always good to experiment against the leagues best team *sarcasm*

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Bookoz View Post
    lol, actually boston is FOUR points behind
    At the time he was posting, it was 6. Then Boston won and it's 4 now.

"lol"
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It wasnt a lol because the number was wrong
    I figured it was written before the boston win

it was a lol because of the panic of being only six points out of a playoff spot!

Dobber Sports Ninja

CANCEL the parade route!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

So i wrote an article last night because I was bored and thought I would post it here to maybe get some discussion going
    I'm sure to be blasted by some as a "plan the parade route" type of leaf fan, but with all the negativity going around i would just like to try to find a positive light to shine
    Here it goes...

The Toronto Maple Leafs : Analyzing the Analytical Fans

Whether you like it or not, analytics are all the rage nowadays. The idea has gone from obscurity in the depths of the internet all the way to national television programs and everyone is quickly jumping on the bandwagon. If you're not on the bandwagon, you're quickly labelled as a dinosaur and you're told you need to keep up. This is simply the world we live in. NHL teams are hiring analytical professionals the same way they used to hire scouts and you can bet that number is only going to increase over the next few years.

The Maple Leafs, who are known (rightfully so) as the center of the hockey universe, have recently begun accepting analytics as part of the game. The hiring of Darryl Metcalf, Cam Charron, Rob Pettapiece and of course Assistant General Manager Kyle Dubas ushered in a new era in Leafs philosophy and it's hard to find many people who find fault with this shift in thinking. The term "analydiot" has still been thrown around by some of the old schoolers though, and they make some valid points. How do you measure grit, character, tenacity or everyone's favourite word from the last 5 years, TRUCULENCE? Well, simply put, you CAN'T. It's no secret that these characteristics are part of the recipe for a successful franchise, so the question remains, have the Leafs lost touch of the TRUE measuring stick of a hockey team? If you're thinking of answering yes to that question, well you need to keep up with the times or get back on your dinosaur grandpa, cause the answer is NO! You can't measure a players grit using numbers but you CAN measure how good a player is at hockey, and well being good at hockey is more important than grit when we're talking about ummmm playing HOCKEY!

My issue here is obviously not with the use of analytics (as much as I'm getting tired of hearing the word) but rather with what I like to call the "we suck" fan. You know who I'm talking about, the one who has been a diehard for years, but must also constantly remind you that "we suck" and everyone in the organization should be fired or traded.

Of course, after a decade of sucking it's hard for some fans to get excited about the team. Last year there was the big collapse and there was that game two years ago where something bad happened, I can't remember exactly what it was... but the point is THEY HAVE SUCKED! So why then, do I have a problem with the "we suck" fan? Well it's because that fan is usually pointing to analytics as the reason for sucking. The same analytics that the Leafs brass have started to embrace only 6 months ago!

The team has improved from it's historically bad possession numbers of last year (even though those numbers are still not great) but the improvement is ignored. They are sitting in a playoff spot around Christmas time as the highest scoring team in the league. They are rolling four lines for the first time in what seems like an eternity and both the PK and the PP are in the top ten in the league. Still there is insistence that the team is as bad as last year, when the possession stats were worse, the penalty kill was THE worst, and they had the goons playing four minutes a night and a third line not doing anything meaningful.

The improvements are easy to see but the "we suck" fan wants full results NOW because they've "waited long enough". That is a phrase I hear often, but the sad reality that leaf fans MUST accept is that their wait was all for naught. It failed. "The wait" was started again in the summer of 2014. I know it's hard to accept but it's the truth, so just let it sink in. This new way of thinking has brought guys in to help with the issues they faced last year and it HAS been helping. Leaf fans cannot expect the team to go from historically bad, to Cup contender in one season but of course they do anyways!

So let me offer this piece of advice. Forget about the last decade. Just get over it. Accept the fact that the wait began in 2014. Have faith that the management is finally aware of what they should be doing to fix the problems, because the problems will most definitely be fixed. Whether it's getting rid of the dinosaur Carlyle, pulling off a giant trade, or adding through small trades or signings, SOMETHING will be done because the Old Boys Club is gone. Enjoy the fact that they're sitting in a playoff position. Enjoy the fact that they score a lot of goals. Because if they happen to pull off a playoff appearance this year, you'll be left coming up with reasons why it shouldn't be happening and saying "I told you so" when they lose. Where is the fun in that? The big problem though, lies in determining when it becomes OK to start cheering. The "we suck" fan is now entering a very slippery slope. When the Leafs eventually win the Cup (yes, I said when) then I fear his (or hers) negative view of the team will be too well ingrained and they will end up being on the receiving end of the "I told you so's". A Leaf fan not being able to feel full satisfaction in what would likely go down as the greatest celebration of all time is a sad thought.

Sincerely,
    A rare, optimistic Leafs fan, waiting patiently since 2014

Dobber Sports Stud

I am one of the leafs fan who is always optimistic but that comes with a slice of humble pie knowing our teams complete and utter failure in the recent past.
    Though I believe analytics is more important to fantasy hockey compared to playing the NHL game, we can use it to see trends of certain players and have a more scientific method of taking advantage of the trend for our teams benefit.
    whilst NHL teams can use it to figure out a players individual value to the team game. Its not coincidence that the top possession teams have all been cup contenders the past years (Boston, Chicago, LA) but they combine that with size, skill, speed, and goaltending. (those traits normally combine for better possession numbers anyways)
    Starting Roster:
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree 100%

But up until last year we were fed the importance of truculence while ignoring possession hockey

Isnt it logical then to say that our "retool" has only just started with shanahan, dubas etc.???
    shouldnt we be celebrating the fact that were now using that approach instead?

Its so hard to preach patience now, but I truly feel that this time it's for real
    Most fans are simply fed up though and can't be patient any longer

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

team wont get better until phaneuf is traded. his defensive minutes can easily be replaced by guys like polak/robidas, and his offensive minutes are taking away from gardiner/reilly who are much better. his contract is bad but it isn't untradeable. edmonton seems like the perfect fit, i'd love to package phaneuf + for eberle. it can't be that lopsided right?