Page 77 of 412 FirstFirst ... 27 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 87 127 177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 6179

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Ninja

Enough about Bernier though, let's talk more about my boy Phil and his dominance!!!

Is there anyone better in the entire league at picking that top corner? I think not...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Nope, still here.
    Nonis' poor cap management, including the Bernier trade, has already forced unforgivable moves
    I'm sure you've stated this somewhere deep in this thread but can you clarify the 'unforgivable moves' the Bernier trade forced? The main thing I think they'll regret is that Franson is going to cost them considerably more to keep than he would have if they could have inked him to a long term deal. Other than that maybe you could make the same case for Kadri but I'm actually quite happy with them forcing him to prove himself before rewarding him with the big deal.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Enough about Bernier though, let's talk more about my boy Phil and his dominance!!!

Is there anyone better in the entire league at picking that top corner? I think not...
    Tyler....who?

The Great One

EMG thinks Grabo is a first line center.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Nope, still here.
    Nonis' poor cap management, including the Bernier trade, has already forced unforgivable moves, and the consequences of his decisions will be felt over a full season, not after 10 games (anybody who's objectively watched the Leafs this year knows that they are incredibly lucky to be 7-3).

Need I remind anyone out there, that the Leafs' top 3 centers are Tyler Bozak, Dave Bolland and Nazem Kadri ?
    Seriously guys, that trio of centers is in the bottom 5 in the league. Bottom 10 for sure. It's not even something a reasonable person could argue against.
    i dont understand that arguement at all...who are the preds top 3 centers? legwand/wilson/fisher? somehow they were able to be a very good team. so many other examples you can find...the leafs play a totally different system under carlyle. bolland is a perfect 3rd line C, and i think kadri will eventually settle in as their 2nd line C, and hasnt done a bad job so far. which means their obvious glaring weakness is their top C...but as long as Bozak shows chemistry with Kessel, it's not as bad as it seems.

not arguing that their record is better than it should be, but i dont have much objection with nonis' moves. i thought trading away those picks for bolland was stupid but he clearly proved me wrong. my only issue right now is the clarkson deal, but i'm not going to comment on it until i see clarkson play.

fact is, leafs are beating most the teams they need to beat, and are also having decent success against the harder teams. i'd say that should be good enough to make the playoffs, which is all toronto should be worrying about right now...

Dobber Sports Guru

Well, he's closer to a 1st line center than Bozak or Bolland. And Naz is still very much a work in progress.
    Do you think big first line centres grow no trees? Did you see any good 1st line centres available this past off-season? You cant get what isn't available.

The Great One

Well, he's closer to a 1st line center than Bozak....
    I would strongly disagree.

Dobber Sports Guru

Their system?
    Oh, you must mean this one...
    "Let the other teams outshoot us, tire themselves out. And if our goalie keeps us in it, we have them RIGHT WHERE WE WANT THEM! "
    This system talk with Carlyle is complete crap.

And didn't Nashville finish 14th out of 15 teams last season? With a world class goalie too.
    So... thanks for helping me out.
    So what exactly do you have a big problem with from the off-season? Do you think the leafs improved their team? I sure as hell do. Out went Grabo, MacArthur, Scrivens and Frattin. In came Clarkson, Bolland, Bernier and Raymond ...... I dunno which games you have been watching but Bolland, Bernier and Raymond have been some of the best players early on this year so which move is the one that the leafs will suffer the consequences from?
    Dont forget everyone and their mother knows the cap is going to go up for next season and as it stands the leafs have 22m in space for next season.
    Last edited by wendelclark17; October 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Their system?
    Oh, you must mean this one...
    "Let the other teams outshoot us, tire themselves out. And if our goalie keeps us in it, we have them RIGHT WHERE WE WANT THEM! "
    This system talk with Carlyle is complete crap.

And didn't Nashville finish 14th out of 15 teams last season? With a world class goalie too.
    So... thanks for helping me out.
    so would you like to help me out and explain how nashville was a playoff teams for like 7 of the past 9 years without any star centers? i guess it had nothing to do with the system they played.

as for carlyle's system, i think you can look at the leafs special teams and that should be all you need to hear.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

bozak @4.2M > grabo @5.5M

Dobber Sports Stud

Holy cow. This is taking delusion to a new level.
    For years, Bozak has played exclusively with a top 10 scorer.
    And his BEST season is 47 points during that time.

Grabovski has seasons of 58 and 51 points, playing with lesser linemates, less PP time, matched up against tougher competition. This is all well documented. And not just by bloggers. Look up the numbers for yourself.

It is completely absurd to suggest Bozak is a better player than Grabovski. Based on what - because he wins one more faceoff every game?

This is why people make fun of Leafs fans. Because too many of us can't see past the BS. Well I can. And I won't apologize for it.

But there's no point in arguing with delusional people. I will give you the "I told you so" at about the 50 or 60 game mark. And you'll say "no one could have predicted it!" And I'll say "ah, but many of us did!"

The only hope they have is if Bernier has a Vezina calibre season. Relying on that is no system, though.
    I'll take it from your responses to others that the 'unforgivable move' was buying out Grabo and signing Bozak? Meh, maybe I'm on your ignore list....ho hum......

Here's a rhetorical question for you anyway. If, at the end of the year, the Leafs by some miracle of miracles squeak into the playoffs, are you going to be glad they made it or upset that they proved you wrong?

The Great One

Holy cow. This is taking delusion to a new level.
    For years, Bozak has played exclusively with a top 10 scorer.
    And his BEST season is 47 points during that time.

Grabovski has seasons of 58 and 51 points, playing with lesser linemates, less PP time, matched up against tougher competition. This is all well documented. And not just by bloggers. Look up the numbers for yourself.
    Points points points. I know all about the stats. Grabo is a better offensively. That doesn't make him a better player. You know, sometimes, just sometimes, watching them play can make the world of a difference.

The Great One

The only hope they have is if Bernier has a Vezina calibre season. Relying on that is no system, though.
    Bernier? The goalie who you thought was not an upgrade on Reimer and a slight upgrade on Scrivens?

Ahhhh.

Dobber Sports Stud

Other than faceoffs and killing penalties, Grabovski does everything better than Bozak (unless we're also counting off-ice things like giving Kessel handjobs).
    He's a better possession player, he's a better skater, he's a better goal scorer, and he's better defensively. That's what I "see" from watching those two players play, regardless of what the stats think.
    FWIW - I completely agree with you on Bozak vs Grabo. I do not like Bozak and I do not think he's worth 4.2 mil.

What I wonder though is what Grabo brought to the team on the bench and in the locker room vs Bozak. There's also no way to deny that the Bozak thing was connected to resigning Kessel.....doesn't make it entirely justifiable but it does help explain what they were thinking.

Dobber Sports Icon

(sorry, just realized I forgot shootouts) Ok, 4.2 million for shootouts, faceoffs, and penalty killing (this last one is debateable, btw... their pk sucked horribly with Bozak until guys like McClement came along).
    Don't forget you can add Phil Kessel resigning to that 4.2 million also.

Now which would you rather have?

Kessel & Bozak(10 less points or so and a savings of $1.5m over Grabby)
    or Grabovski(and a questionable attitude?)

Blah 2 very average centers.