Page 67 of 414 FirstFirst ... 17 57 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 77 117 167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 6196

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Ace

Context fellas!!! We need some context here.

Free Agency is just under 9 hours old. Lets reserve judgement on the product until it's at least 24 hours old, no? Or maybe even a little closer to training camp?

Grabbo: I love the guy because he plays hard and is hilarious. He'll be fine on another team. That was never going to happen in Toronto. Carlyle hates him. Judging by the interview yesterday, he hates Carlyle. Randy is going nowhere so why pay a guy 5.5 million per to be in a situation where he won't succeed? This will be better for the leafs and grabbo in the end. I 100% agree that the way he used caused his point totals to diminish etc, but that wasn't going to change under Carlyle.

I don't love Bozak. But I do like what he brings to the table in terms of f/o's(best on the team), and two-way play. I don't really like the signing but at least he'll be a useful player and put in a situation to succeed.

The leafs have probably already recouped Clarkson's 40 million in jersey sales. He's a local guy and Leaf fans will fall in love with him. He may not score 30 goals again, but he's the kind of player the leafs don't have. The kind of guy that will battle and go head to head with the Lucic's of the world in the playoffs. He'll open up space for Kadri and the skill guys and will play his heart out. Is he worth 5 million. Nope. But the Leafs filled a need and that's the nature of UFA's. he left money on the table and wants to be a leaf. I'm stoked.

Bolland; great third line guy. I don't have any offensive expectations as long as he's solid defensively.

Add in the addition of Bernier and I think the leafs are better now than they were a couple weeks ago. Time will tell.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Lets take a stab at predicting what our RFA's will sign for.

$ and term.

Kadri 3M x 3
    Colborne 1.3M x2
    McLaren .65 x 1
    Gunnarsson 2.8M x 2
    Franson 3.25M x 4
    Fraser 1.5M x 3
    Bernier 2.5M x 2
    Bernier signs for 2.9M x 2
    McLaren re-signs for .7M x 2

Dobber Sports Icon

Maple Leafs: More Depth, Same Talent
    By HOWARD BERGER

TORONTO (July 5) – David Nonis, GM of the Maple Leafs, made a couple of good decisions on Friday, signing unrestricted free agents Tyler Bozak and David Clarkson. The moves came after his earlier acquisitions of Jonathan Bernier and David Bolland, delivering the club promise; grit; Stanley Cup experience and familiarity.
    But, are the Leafs more talented than on the night of May 14, when they were overwhelmed in Game 7 of their playoff quarrel with Boston?
    My assessment: Not yet.
    The club’s most urgent need – a front-line center capable of point-per-game execution – still has not been addressed. Bozak and Bolland lead the current group with a season-high totals of 47 points, hardly a bloodcurdling prospect for Leaf opponents. Mikhail Grabovski will never set foot in a hall of fame without paying admission, yet he did compile 29 goals and 58 points in 2010-11. So, are the Leafs better up the middle? The same? Or, not quite as gifted?
    Right now, I’m leaning toward Door No. 3.
    And, it’s the reason I believe that Nonis isn’t finished re-shaping the club. Another move – via trade – is almost certain before next season.

DAVID CLARKSON: RED-AND-BLACK TO BLUE-AND-WHITE.

Meantime, there will be much debate over the recent exchange of bodies: Grabovski, Clarke MacArthur, Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and Leo Komarov out; Clarkson, Bolland, Bernier and T.J. Brennan in. Seems like a saw-off, at best, though Clarkson will provide Leafs a missing component – someone who can play and fight. Last season, the club had one or the other and it became futile in the playoffs when Randy Carlyle quickly realized he couldn’t dress either Frazer McLaren or Colton Orr. He’ll have no-such concern with Clarkson – a tough, uncompromising winger with decent hands. The Toronto native will quickly become a fan favorite at Air Canada Centre.
    Leafs have to be looking at a best-case scenario – one that includes:
    • Bozak proving he can thrive offensively in a full, 82-game schedule as he mostly did in the 48-game, lockout-abbreviated sprint.
    • Nazem Kadri building on his 2013 campaign and developing into a 65 to 75-point center. With maturity and more self-discipline, it could be attainable.
    • Bernier realizing the promise so many in the hockey world foresee, thereby supplanting James Reimer as Leafs No. 1 goalie.
    • Jake Gardiner and Cody Franson becoming the cornerstone of a youthful defense and building on the confidence acquired by performing so effectively – at times – against Boston. With Morgan Rielly, Matt Finn, Jesse Blacker and Stuart Percy all potentially knocking on the door, Leafs could have an enviable blue-line cast within three years.
    To this point in the off-season, Nonis appears to have held serve. But, you’ve got to believe he is aiming higher. Whether or not he can provide Leafs more of jolt remains to be seen, but change is still very much in the air.

The Great One

It will be interesting to see who plays wing on line 3 opposite of Kulimen.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Total outsider POV here but I think you guys have some tremendous depth at forward. Admittedly, you have no top flight Center but with really deep skill at the wing, that may not be as necessary as some people think.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    And fans justify it all by saying stuff like:
    "Carlyle was never going to use Grabo in the proper role anyway!!!"
    "The Bozak signing will help us keep Phil!!!
    "The freeing up of cap space allowed us to get Clarkson - we are much harder to play against now!!!"

To which I respond:
    "So because Carlyle is an idiot trying to force a square peg into a round hole, that means it's ok for the GM to make idiotic transactions to keep the coach happy?!?! Or should they maybe have a coach who understands how to deploy his players for maximum return?!

"Phil is a professional, is he not? This isn't flag football at recess. This is a business. Nonis said himself... Phil would have understood if Bozak had to go."

"They could have signed Clarkson without buying out Grabo. They had other options. Example: Why not buy out Liles and not re-sign one of the goons?! That pays for Clarkson right there. Who needs TWO hired goons?! You're going to say Boston, right? Except that Lucic and Thornton can actually play hockey too. Show me a succesful NHL team that pays for 2 useless forwards like Orr and Mclaren!
    And, hey, how about not giving up cap space to trade for a goalie they didn't need, and a goalie they then needed to re-sign?!
    I would have liked to see Grabo center the top line too. Obviously, Nonis and Carlyle didn't think he was a better fit than Bozak on the the top line. Im going to trust a Stanley Cup winning coach and a NHL GM over what I thought, what anyone here thinks, what those idiots at PPP are probably writing, and what the advanced stats community is preaching too.

$700,000 for a 13th forward second goon is perfect.

Reimer was a good starter, and could likely succeed again. But we obviously upgraded between the pipes. 'Giving up' 3.5M in cap space for a potential very very good goalie is well worth it. I know you think it was worth the risk too.

Clarkson and Bolland....Those two additions are great. Defined roles that they will be willing and happy to play. Something we also didn't have last year. Our lines have more structure, and we ARE going to be tougher to play against. Those are facts. I just hope we don't lose our speed that made us difficult to contain.

By the way, MacAthur played majority 'third line' last year with Grabo and Kulimen.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Which is why I referenced 2010-2012, 2 full seasons, instead of just the most recent half season when evaluating these guys.

It is completely idiotic for Nonis to ignore the overall body of work for Grabo and MacArthur, choosing instead to rely solely on the most recent half season, in which they both had poor seasons because of how they were deployed by the coach.

I don't give a crap how much "tougher they are to play against" now - they are considerably slower and will miss the playoffs next year unless their goaltending is outstanding.
    Well, you heard it here first....Leafs will miss the playoffs. I'll take that bet

Dobber Sports Icon

[QUOTE=eyemissgilmour;1161561]My top 6 hopeful developments:

1) Morgan Rielly has an incredible camp, forcing them to keep him. Perhaps they bury Liles in doing so.
    Can't wait to see him(in the future) and Jake. Tonnes of speed & Skill. Going to give teams nightmares.

2) Colton Orr and Frazer McClaren skate into each other, and both end up on LTIR. Perhaps they deploy a real 4th line with this event.
    3 words: Detroit Red Wings. Proves you don't have to have goons to win. Thats one thing I hate about Burke and especially now Carlyle.

3) Bolland, Kulemin, and McClement form one of the best shutdown lines in hockey.
    Ah now theres the missing player on that line. Excellent choice with JM Gilmour!

4) Bernier and Reimer become good friends, and each pushes the other to give Toronto Cujo or Belfour-type goaltending.
    Agreed. And it only increases their value if Nonis has to move one for a piece somewhere else.

5) Kadri badly outplays Bozak early, and he improves his faceoffs enough to be the #1 centre. Perhaps Caryle finally sees how misplaced Bozak is on that line.
    Maybe its just me but I just don't see a Kadri/Kessel mesh(Could be wrong though). I like Kadri playing with Clarkson(& Lupal) who will give him a little more space. But yep they still need a #1 C for PK.

6) Clarkson scores 30 goals again and is a terror to play against.
    Out of that NJ system. Carlyle gives him more leeway. I believe there is a very good chance. Not to mention everything else he brings too.

I'll add another one: JVR scores 30g/65pts+

My actual 6 predictions for the season.

1) Rielly does have an outstanding camp, but they send him down anyway.
    Me too(See above)

2) Orr and Mclaren play even more than they did last year.
    LOL thats all I can say to an obviously upset Leaf fan & Carlyle/Nonis non believer(anymore). But its true i agree.

3) Not only does their shutdown line play tough minutes, but they also pitch in some timely offense.
    Yep

4) One of Bernier or Reimer requests a trade prior to the deadline.
    If they get an asset(in a pkge for a #1C?) Im all for moving one

5) Kadri does outplay Bozak but the latter stays on the top line.
    Very sensible. I also believe Carlyle is stubborn that way too.

6) Clarkson scores 17 goals.
    Nah Ill say 25+

Great post Gil!!!!

The Great One

Leafs Sign Colborne and Bodie

Colborne gets a 1 way deal for $600,000 for 1 year.
    Last edited by Mr. Guru; July 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Rielly is not ready for the NHL and I pray they don't do something stupid like keeping him up but I'm almost certain it won't happen.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Rielly is not ready for the NHL and I pray they don't do something stupid like keeping him up but I'm almost certain it won't happen.
    if he's kept in the NHL it's because he's earned the spot. they wont call him up if he's not ready, especially since they are pretty log jammed at D.

however, i have a feeling gunnarsson walks. leafs will get the results from the salary arbritration and let him go. i pray im wrong...he seems to be the only guy that can cover for phaneuf being phaneuf

The Great One

Lets see how Rielly does in camp before determining if he's ready or not.

Dobber Sports Icon

Lets take off our Blue and white glasses for a bit.

What should we really expect from Colbourne a few years down the road.

There was some solid hope for this guy at one time. But I am just not feeling it with him. I hope Im wrong and he breaks out but i dunno....

Hes going to be 24 in January and his stats havent been great.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Lets see how Rielly does in camp before determining if he's ready or not.
    Do you have reason to believe he made considerable progress over the summer because he was slightly overwhelmed in the AHL last year. He was improving as he went but he's not ready for the NHL.

Do people seriously see this guy in the NHL next year? Isn't 'rushing the rebuild' what's killed the Leafs for decades? There's no need to rush one of our best assets....stay the course and get him a few cups of coffee next year followed by a legit shot at the team the following year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Lets take off our Blue and white glasses for a bit.

What should we really expect from Colbourne a few years down the road.

There was some solid hope for this guy at one time. But I am just not feeling it with him. I hope Im wrong and he breaks out but i dunno....

Hes going to be 24 in January and his stats havent been great.
    3rd liner with an abosolute best case scenario of 2nd line. He's just missing the 'IT' factor and I dont' see him being a major piece to any contending team. Its' too bad really, I had hope for him but it's mostly gone.