Page 66 of 414 FirstFirst ... 16 56 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 76 116 166 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Horrible day to be a Leaf fan imo. Our team is weaker down the middle then we were last week and we have waisted 10.5 mil a year in cap space. How any human could believe that Clarkson or Bozak was more valuable to this team then Garbovski is beyond me. Both of these signing make me ill.

Kadri better line up on the first line next year because if they have him playing with Clarkson it will be a waste of his talents.
    Why is everyone so low on Clarkson? He might be a great fit with Kadri

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I don't mind Clarkson, but not for that kind of money. Nor the term.

Bottom line, they are sacrificing team speed for team grit or toughness.
    This will not end well.
    Toronto's biggest advantage over most teams the last few years was their speed.

It's a skating league, so their new philosophy is a big mistake, imo.

People like to say to me - look how tough Boston is. To which I say, they are a very good skating team also, and they play the best counter attacking style in the NHL, and they are extremely well coached, and they have a world class young goaltender.

Toronto is getting slower, their goaltending is good but not great, and their coach is a clown who gets the benefit of the doubt because of one cup ring.

Oh, and Detroit is now in our conference. Lovely. Another one of the best coached teams in the entire NHL.
    Cap hits and lengths aside, do you think we are a better or worse team with Clarkson? I'm saying we are a better team with him.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Why is everyone so low on Clarkson? He might be a great fit with Kadri
    Are you being serious? 7years and almost 40mil for a guy who has never scored over 50pts. That is close to insane. If you divide his salary by pts in his career year I bet you there is no player in the league who makes more $ per point the him. That term and contract is absurd.

Not only that he is horrible defensively and this team already has a tonne of forwards who can't play in there own end. We have gotten worse over the last week and spent a tonne of money to do so.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Stud

Are you being serious? 7years and almost 40mil for a guy who has never scored over 50pts. That is close to insane. If you divide his salary by pts in his career year I bet you there is no player in the league who makes more $ per point the him. That term and contract is absurd.

Not only that he is horrible defensively and this team already has a tonne of forwards who can't play in there own end. We have gotten worse over the last week and spent a tonne of money to do so.
    I'm not talking about his contract here, I'm talking about him as a hockey palyer (see my post below). I'll take that bet by the way. How much are we putting on it?
    Last edited by 4horsemen; July 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but you can't evaluate a transaction like that. It's all encompassing. In a salary cap league, you have to get maximum value for every dollar you pay out. Do you seriously think Clarkson is such an enormous upgrade over MacArthur, for example, that the extra 2 or 3 million spent was worth it? Not a chance!
    MacArthur does everything better except he isn't as tough. But he's also a fraction of the cost.

Say what you want about the contract it doesn't affect the product. That's like saying if I paid 500K for a Porsche that the car is now a piece of garbage.....this is a fallacy of composition. You don't like the Clarkson deal therefore Clarkson sucks.

Now, taken in the bigger context of a salary cap league this deal may or may not be an albatross, that all depends on where the cap goes from here and how Clarkson performs into his mid 30s. I've already gone on record with my dislike of the contract so you're barking up the wrong tree there. I'm just trying to ask people to put aside their contractual hangups and try to see the player for who he is.
    Last edited by 4horsemen; July 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM.

Dobber Sports Sage

TJ Brennan replaces Mike Kostka, per Dreger.

Lateral move, worst case scenario.

Interesting though that Kostka was worthy of 20 minutes a night under Carlyle (based on deployment) but yet they don't offer him a contract.

I'm not saying it was wrong to let him walk, but WHY was he playing so much then?!
    When did we get Brennan?
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I'm just trying to ask people to put aside their contractual hangups and try to see the player for who he is.
    Don't even bother.

Dobber Sports Icon

When did we get Brennan?
    1 yr, $600k - just went up on TSN's tracker a little while ago.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but you can't evaluate a transaction like that. It's all encompassing. In a salary cap league, you have to get maximum value for every dollar you pay out. Do you seriously think Clarkson is such an enormous upgrade over MacArthur, for example, that the extra 2 or 3 million spent was worth it? Not a chance!
    MacArthur does everything better except he isn't as tough. But he's also a fraction of the cost.
    Not to mention is an upgrade to the PP(playing in front of the net), Should score as many goals, has waaay more heart, creates space for his linemates....etc

The only thing I dont like about the contract is 2 years too long. The hit was fine and especially considering other teams offered him more dollars.(Not sure of term though.)

I also believe Nonis is far from done. I see a trade(perhaps a fair size one) is on the horizon. Guys like Franson, Reimer etc could be involved.

Dobber Sports Guru

Not a big fan of the cap management right now, still don't like the Grabo buyout but the more I think about it I'm sure Carlyle said he wasn't going to get played in the top 6 so might as well buy him out. From a strictly on ice perspective Bolland, and Clarkson in and McCarthur and Grabo (3rd line version) out is an improvement but I don't like the salary cap implications.

Dobber Sports Icon

Again this is just Howard Berger but interesting.....

Howard Berger ‏@Berger_BYTES 59m
    #Leafs still working on stuff. Hang in there. No rush to get the proper deal.

Howard Berger ‏@Berger_BYTES 1h
    That said, I'm still expecting David Nonis to pull off a multi-player trade. He knows what #Leafs need - and still do not have.
    Expand

Howard Berger ‏@Berger_BYTES 1h
    Lost in the #Leafs chatter is the possibility of Nazem Kadri developing into the center team is looking for. Has all the talent to do it.

Howard Berger ‏@Berger_BYTES 2h
    Don't fret over Dave Clarkson's length of contract, #Leafs fans. It is governed by UFA competition and is subject to a compliance buyout.

As I mentioned in my initial Clarkson - #Leafs blog after playoff elimination, Toronto hockey fans will have a new favorite player. Book it.

@JonnyEps Clarkson's attributes go far beyond mere point totals. He's an agitator and can play PP/PK.

Dobber Sports Icon

Dobber Sports Icon

Ok Leafs we didnt really address their #1C need but who really was available? Weiss is definitely not the answer.

Thoughts?

The Great One

I would have preferred Weiss. I would have preferred Grabo over Bozak too.

Dobber Sports Pro

Where is the help on D that we all know we need? Now I have to listen to people bitch how bad Dion is for another year because there is no one to support him.

I am not happy.