Page 11 of 412 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The leafs goalie situation is very complicated in my opinion. I think Toronto is making a big mistake if they decide to roll with Reimer as their starter next year. Gustavsson has been underwhelming and his health is starting to become a concern. The leafs need to be in the market to add another goaltender that can play in 40-50 games if necessary (even if its a goalie like Alex Auld)

The Leafs are in a tough position with their goaltending.

Reimer was spectacular so I am not sure you want to bring in a Top notch goalie and deflate his confidence (Bryz, Vokoun for example. I am not saying that those two are even possible). On the other hand, the history of second year goalies is well documented so an insurance policy would be nice.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    The leafs goalie situation is very complicated in my opinion. I think Toronto is making a big mistake if they decide to roll with Reimer as their starter next year. Gustavsson has been underwhelming and his health is starting to become a concern. The leafs need to be in the market to add another goaltender that can play in 40-50 games if necessary (even if its a goalie like Alex Auld)

The Leafs are in a tough position with their goaltending.

Reimer was spectacular so I am not sure you want to bring in a Top notch goalie and deflate his confidence (Bryz, Vokoun for example. I am not saying that those two are even possible). On the other hand, the history of second year goalies is well documented so an insurance policy would be nice.
    Burke stated in his season ending press conference that they would not be signing a goalie this summer. The plan is to go with Reimer and Gustavsson and see how it goes in the preseason. If that does not seem to be working Burke stated they would address it at that time. Keep in mind that leafs have four decent goalies in the system right now. Scrivens has played very well with the Marlies and Rynnas has been pretty good as well to go along with Reimer and Gustavsson. Burke also stated at his press conference that he still believes Gustavsson can be the Monster. He has not really had a chance to show what he can do with the heart issues that have sethim back. Burke indicated that he feels those issues are behind Gustavsson now and next season will be his chance to establish himself as a quality goalie in the NHL.

I can see Burke potentially picking up a backup goalie in late Sept or early Oct if someone is injured or underperforming. There will be a number of decent goalies still available at that time as there is a bit of a goalie glut on the market these days. But please Burke stay clear of Auld.

Gustavsson may still get the call to play for Sweden at the worlds. Reimer is playing at the World Championships and may well be starting so Burke will get a chance to see how that goes as well. I think this kid is the real deal but we all know that it is tough for young goalies to but top notch seasons back to back early in a career. If anyone can do that I think it is Reimer. He seems to have the level head and calm nature to pull it off.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

2011/04/12: Jonas Gustavsson will probably start the 2011-12 season as Toronto's number two goaltender. GM Brian Burke doesn't plan signing a veteran goaltender in the off-season, so that opens the door for Gustavsson and James Reimer to start the season with the Leafs. Coach Ron Wilson has also stated that he wants Gustavsson to compete for the number one job, but we'd be surprised if anyone other than Reimer played between the pipes in the Leafs' season opener. from the hockey news. you also forgot to say how Burke said he doesnt give a rats ass what the fans think, what a class act for a gm who hasnt done a single thing in 3 years to improve the team he took over.

Dobber Sports Initiate

you also forgot to say how Burke said he doesnt give a rats ass what the fans think,
    That comment was directed at the media not the fans.

what a class act for a gm who hasnt done a single thing in 3 years to improve the team he took over.
    When Burke took over the leafs were a sad lot with a bunch of mediocre aging veterans on the team with little ot no upside. There were no significant prospects in the system. The only players that Burke inherited that are are of value to the team are Kulemin, Schenn, Grabovski, Reimer and Gunnarson., In the cupboard of prospects only Frattin and Holzizer were inherited that could become NHL players. Today the leafs have some quality players and potential stars, (not enough yet but getting better) that Burke has added. The prospect cupboard is full. Kardri, Colborne, Gardiner, Mueller, Capuit, Scrivens, Rynnas, to name a few. He has added Phaneuf, Aulie, Kessel, Armstrong, McArthur, Lupul and a few others. Burke has transformed the team in record time and today the future looks positive. When Burke took over things were bleak and the future looked very sad indeed.

Burke has not done a single thing he has done many things to make the team better and he is not done yet.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

re kbook: before burke 83 pts, 3 years later 85 pts. might be different look to team , but same results. if leafs miss the playoffs next year, burke is a big failure. As for Gusto in net, they say 11-14 games for him next year, which puts a big workload on Reims, don't think he can handle that. So getting to the 90-95 pts to squeak into the playoffs will be very difficult.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by slicktee519 View Post
    re kbook: before burke 83 pts, 3 years later 85 pts. might be different look to team , but same results. if leafs miss the playoffs next year, burke is a big failure. As for Gusto in net, they say 11-14 games for him next year, which puts a big workload on Reims, don't think he can handle that. So getting to the 90-95 pts to squeak into the playoffs will be very difficult.
    I agree the numbers do not yet reflect the teams improvement. Many of the guys that Burke has added like Colborne and Gardiner will at best make a contribution in the second half of next year. The difference is there is hope now were before there was none. As a long time leaf fan who sufferred through the Ballard years and the Ferguson debacle I have gone from being totally disillusioned that it would ever improve to at least now having some hope that things are going to get better.

Don't let all the air out of my balloon just yet please. After all these years of desperation we at least now have some hope for the future. Now that is an improvement. In Leaf land that is more than we usually get.

Dobber Sports Icon

Blame Petty and the management for the Ferguson debacle. It wasnt his fault. He had a gun to his head to win NOW! When he went for the original interview he wanted to rebuild the Leafs from scratch. Petty basically told him to forget that idea.

Source: Fergy's bestman at his wedding. He used to come to my hospital quite regularily,

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    That comment was directed at the media not the fans.

When Burke took over the leafs were a sad lot with a bunch of mediocre aging veterans on the team with little ot no upside. There were no significant prospects in the system. The only players that Burke inherited that are are of value to the team are Kulemin, Schenn, Grabovski, Reimer and Gunnarson., In the cupboard of prospects only Frattin and Holzizer were inherited that could become NHL players. Today the leafs have some quality players and potential stars, (not enough yet but getting better) that Burke has added. The prospect cupboard is full. Kardri, Colborne, Gardiner, Mueller, Capuit, Scrivens, Rynnas, to name a few. He has added Phaneuf, Aulie, Kessel, Armstrong, McArthur, Lupul and a few others. Burke has transformed the team in record time and today the future looks positive. When Burke took over things were bleak and the future looked very sad indeed.

Burke has not done a single thing he has done many things to make the team better and he is not done yet.
    Dont overvalue Leafs prospects. Their decent not close to studs. Thats part of the prob Leafs havent had a legit star in years.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Marcel Mueller

There was a great deal of hype when Burke signed free agent Marcel Mueller last July as these two articles remind us of.

http://leafshq.com/2010/07/14/leafs-...t-what-of-him/
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...german-forward

Now 10 months have pased since Mueller was signed so is he progressing. He played in a few preseason games and three regular season games with the leafs and was not very noticable. He started off the season very poorly with the Marlies last year and gradually was starting to show some promise when he got injured. Overall on the season Muellers stats don't jump out at you as he ended the season with 14 goals and 18 assists in 57 games. He did not get back into the lineup until Apr 6th and played in the last three games of the season. He came back from his injury with a vegence and scored at least one goal in each of those three games and in the last game alone he had 3 goals and 2 assists. In the three games he played on return from his injury he had 5 goals and 2 asssits for 7 points in three games. Those kind of numbers are what gets a player into the NHL if they are sustained.

Mueller went off to the World Championships to play for Germany and is the leading scorer on the German team so far with 1 goal and 4 assists in 5 games. It would seem that Mueller has reached a new level with his game. He played for Germany in last years tournament and managed 2 assists in four games. these stats also indicate that Mueller has brought his game to a new level. His 5 points for Germany place Mueller at 22nd in overall tournament scoring tied for points with Spezza, Skinner, Kovalchuk, and Wheeler to name a few. Only 7 players have produced more points so far at this tournament than Mueller.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/3374/marcel-mueller

Mueller is a big left wing at 6'3" and he weights in at 220 lbs. He does bring the truculance that Burke likes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ktd8FFvgtQ

So this Burke FA signing is starting to look pretty good. If he makes the team next year he might start off on the 4th line with Tim Brent and Mike Brown. If Burke needs to move McArthur as part of a deal to get that coveted center Mueller might get a chance with Grabovski and Kulemin but most likely he starts off with the Marlies again and should be an early injury call up.

I think Mueller has slipped off the radar screen with all the hype currently going to other hot prospects that have been coming through such as Reimer, Aulie, Colborne, Gardiner and even Frattin but it is just possible that come the preseason games Mueller might just out shine them all. Well maybe not Reimer I think he is already established as the real deal.

Administrator

What killed the Leafs this season is that their star players did not show up for the full season. Until that problem is fixed they will continue to struggle overall. My Habs have the same issue with guys like Gomez, Cammalleri and Kostitsyn taking nights (weeks) off but were saved by Price's goaltending and a few Hamilton call-ups. I don't see anything in the Leafs' core that can make up for guys like Kessel and Phaneuf only playing to their potential for a fraction of the season.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What killed the Leafs this season is that their star players did not show up for the full season. Until that problem is fixed they will continue to struggle overall. My Habs have the same issue with guys like Gomez, Cammalleri and Kostitsyn taking nights (weeks) off but were saved by Price's goaltending and a few Hamilton call-ups. I don't see anything in the Leafs' core that can make up for guys like Kessel and Phaneuf only playing to their potential for a fraction of the season.

I think the leafs counter to what Price did for the Canadiens is Reimer. Not saying Reimer is as solid as Price at least not yet but his arrival produced the season turn around for the leafs. The Phaneuf injury really set him back. He was rounding back into form at the season end and is playing well for Canada at the Worlds. Looking for him to have a solid season for leafs next year. Kessel is Kessel, he will get you the goals but that is about the extent of his game. If leafs acquire a decent center to play with him next year he should be good for 35 goals maybe 40.

I am counting on the leafs giving Canadiens a run for their money next year. But then every year at this time that is my outlook for the season ahead.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

if the leafs get richards (or some other similar alternative), they finish ahead of habs, otherwise habs finish ahead of leafs.

Banned

Don't get your hopes up too much with Mueller...I only say that because we got our hopes up with Peter Regin after he destroyed the World last year and he had a brutal year. Just saying, don't put too high of expectations on players like that who haven't proven much.

They could indicate that he has brought his game to a new level but most likely they don't. World Championship stats should not be taken seriously.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Don't get your hopes up too much with Mueller...I only say that because we got our hopes up with Peter Regin after he destroyed the World last year and he had a brutal year. Just saying, don't put too high of expectations on players like that who haven't proven much.

They could indicate that he has brought his game to a new level but most likely they don't. World Championship stats should not be taken seriously.

Yes I realize that he has yet to accomplish anything at the NHL level. It is just that his play has improved by leaps and bounds from the start of the Marlie season so it provides room for optimism. I think his play also means he will get a good shot in the preseason to evaluate how he stacks up against some NHL competition. I still expect him to start the season with the Marlies but perhaps if his level of play continues he may well finish the season with the Leafs.

At least he is now in the picture.

The Magnificent One

wondering if i can get some insight into lupul with toronto next season?
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi