Page 104 of 414 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 114 154 204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 6196

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    I just don't know if he's the right guy for a team in this stage of a rebuild. Would I be opposed to him becoming a Leaf tomorrow? Of course not. But I'd love to see a younger coach come in and coach a team which (hopefully) is incredibly young and in the early stages of development. This team needs to be bad for another 2 years but see the kids continually improve.

Is it weird that I'd want to see Eakins behind the bench? He was a gamechanger for the Marlies and was given a raw deal in Edmonton.
    I was thinking Ted Nolan. But how Hall wasn’t happy in Edmonton under Eakins, I doubt Kessel would react well. If he isn’t on the team come start of the yr, Eakins I’m green lighting, but if Kessel is on it, his trade value would drop even more I think.

At this point, I have no objections on who is coaching the team. They will not be the coach when it really matters I think. And what rebuilding team has had the same coach for 3+yrs?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

At this point, I have no objections on who is coaching the team. They will not be the coach when it really matters I think. And what rebuilding team has had the same coach for 3+yrs?
    Very fair point. If you see that the individuals on the team are continuously improving under the coach, you keep him. But it's incredibly rare to see a rebuilding team have the same coach as a contending team.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Titan

Just like with most sports, a coach can only bring a team up so high until their ceiling is hit. I look at Dwayne Casey with the Raptors, I personally think he hit his ceiling and should be the one leaving. Shake his hand, say thank-you, and tell the Pistons or some bottom team ready for a rebuild he’s a solid coach.

However, in a rebuild you gotta look at the coach situation yr-by-yr where the rest of the evaluation should be taken into a longer-term outlook. If the team reacts well (even if they lose) to the coach, keep him.

They could hire a coach out of a college program (like philly) and I wouldn’t mind.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I think it's clear that Maloney doesn't "want" to take Hanifin but knows if he stays at 3, he's the BPA
    that's bs when he says there are a dozen guys who could go at 3.

strome/marner/hanifin are the only guys who will go 3rd. if i'm maloney i defintely trade down unless there is one guy i really want over the others. but then why would the leafs/canes trade up when they will be guarenteed one of those 3? i'd give up 4th rounder at best to move up one spot. any one of those 3 could be the best player down the road so it's stupid to give up anything worthwhile to move up.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    that's bs when he says there are a dozen guys who could go at 3.

strome/marner/hanifin are the only guys who will go 3rd. if i'm maloney i defintely trade down unless there is one guy i really want over the others. but then why would the leafs/canes trade up when they will be guarenteed one of those 3? i'd give up 4th rounder at best to move up one spot. any one of those 3 could be the best player down the road so it's stupid to give up anything worthwhile to move up.
    I was going to make a post about this, but every day I want a different guy for the Leafs at that 4 spot. Today, I really want Marner. 2 weeks ago I wanted Hanifin, and 2 weeks before that I wanted Strome. Regardless of who the Yotes take, the Leafs are getting, at this moment in time, a player who is of no more value, certainly not enough to warrant trading a 2nd+(the going price to move up in the top 5) to get first dibs on one of those players.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

The Great One

All three are different positions.

Thats the only reason I see to move up.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    All three are different positions.

Thats the only reason I see to move up.
    I'm very against drafting for position in the NHL. The thing with the Leafs is that they're weak at every position. Anybody they get improves the stockpile and will be a piece that will be used heavily very soon.

Dobber Sports Master

Leafs fire the Marlies' coaching staff.

Sheldon Keefe, come on down!!!

Dobber Sports Master

THE SHANAPLAN IS WORKING!

Babcock to Toronto for all the $$$$$$

looks like $50 mil for 8 yrs. Congrats!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Legend

I like the Leafs, so I hope they do good, but I think they severely overpaid for coach even though they're still a few years away from being a very good team. At least the moolah doesn't count against the cap.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Master

I like the Leafs, so I hope they do good, but I think they severely overpaid for coach even though they're still a few years away from being a very good team. At least the moolah doesn't count against the cap.
    Leafs should be using their financial advantage in every way possible. Outbid everyone for coaches, execs, and scouts. Get the best of the best in all areas that lack cap regulation.

Dobber Sports Novice

They can spend all of Rogers & Bell's money for all I care, the amount they are paying to get Babcock makes no difference. You are right that they are a long way from being competitive but the hiring of Babcock means the Leafs should have stability at the coaching position during the rebuild rather than the revolving door of coaches we've seen places like Edmonton.

Beyond that it's just nice for the Leafs to finally win something, even if it's just a coach.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    Stats: G, A, Hits, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SHP, BS, SOG, FOW
    Main Roster: 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 C, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Minor Roster: Up to 35 players
    Prospect Roster: Up to 20 players

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Exactly. Back in the pre-cap era they used their financial muscle to land guys like Cujo and Roberts.
    Today, they should be using it to land the best coaches available. Scouts too hopefully...
    And their analytical department should be the most advanced in the league.
    People so funny. No understanding of economics.

Sure. The Leafs have the highest franchise value. That doesn't mean they have the richest owners. Lots of NHL owners are worth a lot more than MLSE

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Leafs should be using their financial advantage in every way possible. Outbid everyone for coaches, execs, and scouts. Get the best of the best in all areas that lack cap regulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Exactly. Back in the pre-cap era they used their financial muscle to land guys like Cujo and Roberts.
    Today, they should be using it to land the best coaches available. Scouts too hopefull
    y...
    And their analytical department should be the most advanced in the league.

This was a huge coup today, no doubt about it. They'll still lose for quite awhile - Babcock doesn't have the horses he had in Detroit.
    But this is a huge first step in bringing the organization back to credibility. It reminds me of decades ago when they hired subpar coach (Carpenter, Murphy, Watt etc) after subpar coach and then Fletcher came in and landed Pat Burns. Suddenly the team wasn't a joke anymore. (Granted the Gilmour trade also helped enormously in turning around the franchise, but never underestimate the value of quality coaching...)
    They don't have a financial muscle/advantage over most of the league. Their financial power is on par with half the league or more.