Page 58 of 412 FirstFirst ... 8 48 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 68 108 158 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Icon

Nonis: Leafs still looking to acquire experienced goalie
    Mike Halford Feb 18, 2013, 7:33 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis says his club is still looking to add a veteran presence between the pipes.

“Yes,” Nonis replied, when asked by TSN1050′s Dave Naylor if Toronto was still looking to acquire an experienced goalie. “Both our goalies are aware of it, it’s not that we don’t think we have NHL-calibre goaltenders, or goalies with the ability to become very good starting goaltenders.

“But if we could add someone to help them along, a veteran that would help them grow, then we would do it.”

Toronto’s goaltending is awfully green right now with starting netminder James Reimer sidelined (MCL strain), leaving backup Ben Scrivens — he of the 19 career NHL appearances — to handle the load.

Third-stringer Jussi Rynnas has just two games of NHL experience, so he’s an emergency option at best.

The issue isn’t how well that group has handled things so far — Reimer has been solid, Scrivens outstanding in relief — but rather how they’ll react when things heat up.

The Leafs looked to be postseason-bound in 2011-12 but collapsed badly down the stretch, missing the playoffs for the seventh straight year.

The weight of that collapse was shouldered largely by Reimer (23 then, now 24) and partly by Scrivens (25 then, 26 now), leading many to suggest an older, more experienced goalie would prove crucial when the pressure rises.

Count Nonis among them — assuming he can find such a guy.

“At this point, there hasn’t been a veteran available, at least not at a price that makes any sense for us,” Nonis explained. “To the credit of both our goaltenders, they’ve stepped up and played very, very well.

“It hasn’t changed — we’d like to give them some help, some guidance along the way. But if that’s not available at a reasonable price, we’re content to go with the two we have.”

So…no Luongo, then?

Dobber Sports Icon

Hmmmm while I love Reimer and think hes thew guy its quite intriguing to think about the possibilities come off season.

Victor Fasth
    Nik Backstrom

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice Kadri article:

From prospect to player, Nazem Kadri is making the most of his time in Toronto

The key moment for Nazem Kadri came not with the Toronto Maple Leafs, but with the Toronto Marlies, their minor-league affiliate. It came in a meeting with Dallas Eakins, the kind of meeting coaches often have with skilled players about the other side of the game.

The Leafs have given Nazem Kadri a chance, and he's responded by leading the team in scoring. (USA Today)
    Simply telling Kadri what to do wasn't working, so Eakins started asking questions: "If you were your opponent in this situation, what would you want Nazem Kadri to do? What would you not want Nazem Kadri to do?" Kadri discovered that he knew the answers – where to go when you don't have the puck, how to manage the puck when you have it, and why.
    "I would say to Naz, 'You should be the best defensive player on our team, because you know every offensive trick there is,' " Eakins said. "Then suddenly it started to click. We just had to teach him a different way."
    So when was this epiphany? When Kadri played for the Marlies during the lockout? Is that why the seventh overall pick in the 2009 draft looks like he's now in the NHL to stay at 22 years old, leading the Leafs in scoring and playing a more complete game a quarter of the way through the season? Not exactly.
    "It was a couple years ago," Eakins said.
    This is a story about development. Every player is different, every situation is different and the path to the NHL is not necessarily a straight line even for a top-10 pick. Players have to learn how to fit in. Coaches have to learn how to fit them in. It has been a particularly delicate dance in Toronto for Kadri.
    The Leafs love having their AHL affiliate in the same city. It's great for logistics. It's great for marketing. It's great for motivating players. As the Marlies' slogan goes: "Every game is a tryout." Problem is, when a player goes from the Leafs to the Marlies, he goes from Toronto to Toronto. He cannot lick his wounds in obscurity in, say, Binghamton. He suffers his embarrassment in the same fishbowl from whence he came. Every demotion is dissected.
    "Boy, it's wonderful when you get called up," Eakins said. "But when you get sent down, it's not like you're out of there."
    Now consider Kadri. He was born in London, Ontario. He starred for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. He became the top prospect for a team lacking top-end talent that hadn't made the playoffs since 2004 and hadn't won the Stanley Cup since 1967 in the Center of the Hockey Universe – a perfect storm of pressure. When he had three goals and five points in six preseason games in 2009, just before he turned 19 and returned to junior, it only raised expectations.
    But Kadri struggled in the preseason in 2010 and went to the Marlies, and he spent two seasons shuttling up and down. Ron Wilson, the Leafs' coach most of that time, didn't mince words about Kadri's deficiencies in public or in private. Randy Carlyle, who replaced Wilson late last season, said he knew all about the Kadri drama – while he was coaching the Ducks out in Anaheim. If you paid attention to hockey, you couldn't help but hear about it.

Leafs coach Randy Carlyle has shown confidence in Kadri, and that faith has been rewarded. (USA Today)
    Kadri couldn't help but think about the Leafs whenever he was with the Marlies – at home, out to eat, about town. He'd watch Leafs games or see Leafs jerseys on the street, and he'd feel both motivation and disappointment. He felt Wilson didn't put him in position to succeed. Wilson divided his forwards into top-six and bottom-six roles. He stuck Kadri in a bottom-six role on the wing when Kadri was supposed to develop into a top-six centerman.
    "Some of the staff my first two years, I guess we butted heads a little bit," said Kadri, not naming names. "They didn't have the same confidence that Randy has in me. ... If you ask me if I thought I could do this my first year, the answer would probably be yes because I believe in myself."
    But why does Carlyle have more confidence in Kadri than Wilson did? And was Kadri really ready to play in the top-six his first year or even his second? It might be easier to give Kadri some honey now because he was fed vinegar before. Kadri had to be humbled, and he had to break bad habits and develop good habits to be put in this position. He was the classic case of a talented prospect that didn't need to worry about the details while in junior, but had to mature as an athlete, as a person, and as a player.
    "He never had to be fit," Eakins said. "He never had to be strong. He had so much skill it didn't matter. He did what he wanted on the ice. He was so relied on offensively that I think sometimes they looked the other way on his defensive liabilities."
    Kadri improved his eating and training, going from about 167 pounds to about 185. Eakins taught him to play the complete game by coming back to skill. To show your skill, you have to possess the puck, right? So play defense to get the puck back and limit turnovers to keep it on your stick. But Eakins also taught Kadri when not to use his skill – to chip in the puck at the right time, to eat pucks down low at the right time, to be aware of the score and the clock and not get cute at the wrong time.
    The lockout was a benefit. Kadri had more time to develop in the AHL, and he could do it without the pressure and distraction of the NHL. No one could ask why he was in the minors. He couldn't long for what he was missing. The Leafs weren't playing.
    Carlyle said his assessment was that Kadri was more effective at center than the wing because "he wasn't as vulnerable to some of the things I thought wouldn't allow him to play." He said the Leafs "couldn't put him in a checking role and expect him to flourish in that capacity." Kadri is still the third-line center, but under Carlyle, that's usually a "top-nine role" with skilled players, not a "bottom-six" role with grinders. Kadri is also getting power-play time.
    "I get the feeling that he likes me and he likes me as a player," Kadri said. "That helps me out a lot when I know my coach actually can believe in me and have faith in me. That makes me want to work that much harder for him.
    "Did I feel that way before? Absolutely not. Not even close. I felt left out. I felt like ... Even though I never, ever once stopped believing in myself, I didn't think other people believed in me. It's a whole different thing putting me with guys that actually can play on the same page as I can offensively. He gives me an opportunity to make myself known and to succeed, whereas before it didn't really seem that way."
    Kadri said he has "matured" as a player and that he has "fixed everything they've wanted me to."
    He is still maturing, still fixing, of course. Though he leads the Leafs in scoring – pretty good for a third-liner who lost a red-hot wingman in Matt Frattin to injury – Phil Kessel started slowly and Joffrey Lupul got hurt. Kadri has 12 points in 15 games. He needs to keep producing while working on his faceoffs and the other details he has been working on for the last three years. He cannot afford to slip back into bad habits.
    But he reached this point by learning to look at the game differently in the minors, and now he looks at the minors differently, too.
    "Dallas Eakins and me really beared down, and he stuck with me the whole way, and that's what you get – results," Kadri said. "It may have taken a couple years – a long couple years – but it's worth it in the end."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hey Leafs experts,
    C.Franson got another assist tonight and logged good minutes. He is available on the wire and I'm thinking about using one of my only two waiver picks to grab him.
    What can you tell me about him?
    Should I be afraid of a Gardiner's comeback soon?
    R.Diaz and P.Martin are the other guys on top of the wire.
    Would you recommand to grab Franson in that situation?
    For the league in my sig.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by LeTrefle; February 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Guru

some injury notes from twitter:

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
    Injury update: As part of ongoing recovery from fractured forearm, Joffrey Lupul now back skating as well. Likely couple weeks till return.

Terry Koshan ‏@koshtorontosun
    Nonis says Frattin is 10 days away from returning; Reimer skedded to be on ice for a light workout today or tomorrow #Leafs

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Hey Leafs experts,
    C.Franson got another assist tonight and logged good minutes. He is available on the wire and I'm thinking about using one of my only two waiver picks to grab him.
    What can you tell me about him?
    Should I be afraid of a Gardiner's comeback soon?
    R.Diaz and P.Martin are the other guys on top of the wire.
    Would you recommand to grab Franson in that situation?
    For the league in my sig.
    Thank you.
    The fact you have only 2 WW picks would make me hesitant ..... I would save those for injuries etc. Franson has been playing the first PP with Phaneuf lately and has looked pretty comfortable, he makes smart offensive plays and is quite adept at getting pucks on the net through traffic.

I prefer him to both Diaz and martin going forward (They benefited from Subban and Letang being absent for periods) however your concern about Gardiner is justified, as the next time the leafs call him up will likely be the end of his AHL career, once he plays 3 more NHL games he will have to clear waivers to be sent back down meaning once he is up it will be to play and not sit in the press box.

The leafs have a bit of a log jam right now on the back-end (9 dmen once gardiner gets called up) and its very hard to predict how this will shake out.

Dobber Sports Master

Well JVR is Godly. I'm unbelievably impressed with every facet of his game.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Guru

some good news on Reimer from twitter:

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
    James Reimer participating in 1st Leafs practice since knee injury; also took part in Wed's optional & part of yesterday's morning skate

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I kindve wish he was starting tonight. This game could get ugly. Flyers are killing it on offence.

Leafs better wake up from their recent slumber.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kessel50 View Post
    I kindve wish he was starting tonight. This game could get ugly. Flyers are killing it on offence.

Leafs better wake up from their recent slumber.
    Yep that game against Ottawa was awful. They were so sloppy in possession and the defensive coverage had a number of breakdowns.

Dobber Sports Guru

from twitter:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
    So Reimer and Frattin may be available on Thursday in Long Island. Orr ready for tomorrow. Brown out with lower body injury.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Bad call by Ref. Definitely not 5mins

Dobber Sports Apprentice

wow first 2 goals by Montreal - one off Holzer's stick the 2nd off a habs body. Forget which one shouldnt have even happened anyhow because of a stupid blown Ref(wrong call on that boarding) call.
    Then the 3rd one bozak gets burned at the f/o circle.

Cheap cheap cheap.

Oh well all i say you play like crap you lose.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Too funny, the NHL leader in plus/minus, Marky Mark Fraser gets caught on an ill-advised pinch, putting Cody Franson in a 2 on 1 situation, which he handles very well blocking the cross ice pass. Then, as the mildly (sarcasm) homerish Toronto announcers are slurping Franson, he screens Reimer and the Lube blows one off the crossbar in.

Just made me laugh a little and thought I'd share.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

God I hate the Bruins.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom