Page 1 of 412 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Default Toronto Maple Leafs

Hello dobberhockey members,

recently, JD88 stepped down from his tenure as the man that covers the boys in blue and white. I've been asked to step in. If I can post coverage of the Leafs anywhere near JD, I will be proud. JD had 33 pages of posts on the TML, all interesting and insightful. He will be missed, and hopefully give me pointers on my tenure as the leafs writer.

My first post comes on a quiet day. Leafs had a practice and prepared for the Sens. Not too much...except for the Tomas Kaberle era ended today! A daunting task to write about on a first day, but I'll give it my best shot.

In the afternoon today, Tomas Kaberle was traded to the Boston Bruins for Joe Colborne, a 1st round pick in the 2011 draft, and a conditional 2nd rounder in 2012 (Leafs get 2nd rounder if Boston makes finals or Kaberle resigns). With Kaberle's departure, only 1 player on the Leafs played prior to the Burke era, that being Darryl Boyce who played one game as a Marlies call up.

I have been lobbying for Kaberle to be traded for quite some time now. While I thought he was a great player and great person, it was time for our organization to move on. We needed to get younger, Kaberle needed a winning team. But when this trade happened, hit me like a ton of bricks. It finally happened. After 3 years of speculation Tomas Kaberle will not be wearing the blue and white. I'll miss him, and all Leaf fans should too. He was an amazing PP quarterback, a monster passer, and had great awareness. While he never shot, when he did they were accurate shots, that could easily be deflected. Boston gets a fantastic puck moving d-man, something all teams covet.

However, what the Leafs get in return subsides the pain of losing such an outstanding individual. The Leafs get a 1st rounder, and Joe Colborne, a 6'6 center out of University of Denver. He is currently noted as the Bruins best prospect behind Seguin, and has great playmaking ability (is a self noted pass-first player), nice speed, and a big body. While he has not learned how to use his size yet, as he just recently hit a growth spurt, it is believed it will be Burke's priority to get him to utilize his massive size to his advantage. Do not expect him to play this year, but easily be a Leaf in the 2011/12 season.

This is a great deal for both teams, for the reasons stated above. In fact, this trade was better than anything Burke was offered in the summer. However, Leafs are not done after this trade. Burke has mentioned they are in pursuit for a defenseman, and a young forward (or bundle the firsts for a higher first). Burke also said a first line center will not be available on the market before the deadline that can play with Phil, but hopefully Colborne can fit that role next season.

Leafs play Ottawa at home tomorrow, hoping to stretch their current winning streak to 3 games, and close in further to the final playoff spot.

Until next time,

TK
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nice start TK, I didn't post much in the other Leafs thread but I enjoy following these Team Threads. Looking forward to your coverage and congrats for getting the gig.

As for the deal, I really like it for both clubs and see it as Burke getting the Leafs back on track in the rebuild. The dedicated thread in General Hockey Chat had a great breakdown comparing the last few trades by listing the assets lost & gained. It looks so much better now than just Kessel for Seguin and a million 1st rounders

Now c'mon Leafs, make the playoffs to give us another Canadian Team to follow and make littleranger eat his socks
    Last edited by MoreCanadianTeams; February 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Good job TK! great article. I'm very excited about these last couple of trades by Burke. I think the TML are finally moving in the right direction. What's your take on Burke acquiring a goalie before the deadline?

Keep up the great work, looking forward to reading more of your articles.
    14 Team Dynasty League - 23 man roster, 25 man minors w/ custom cap, salaries & contracts
    Skaters: (Start: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D) - G/A/Pt/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/STP/TOI
    Goalies: (Start 2) - W/GAA/SV/SV%
    C: Schiefele, Zacha, RyJo, Patrick
    LW: Guentzel, J.Robertson, Domi, Kempe
    RW: Puljujarvi, Gurianov, D.Strome, Duchene
    D: Ekblad, E.Karlsson, OEL, Morrissey, Jokiharju, Bear, Weber (LTIR)
    G: MAF, Price, Driedger, Bishop (LTIR)

Minors: (25 max)
    Skaters: Hayton, JAD, J.Boqvist, Dahlen, Bunting, Gusev, Damiani, Groulx, Poehling, Benson, Beaucage, Lind, Sprong,Stankoven, Ahcan, PO. Joseph, McIsaac Goalies: Wallstedt, UPL, Comrie, Ersson, S.Skinner, Skarek, Johansson

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    As for the deal, I really like it for both clubs and see it as Burke getting the Leafs back on track in the rebuild. The dedicated thread in General Hockey Chat had a great breakdown comparing the last few trades by listing the assets lost & gained. It looks so much better now than just Kessel for Seguin and a million 1st rounders
    Very true statement there MCT, We've essentially acquired 4 first rounders in the past week, two of which are NHL ready next season.

Quote Originally Posted by dobers31 View Post
    Good job TK! great article. I'm very excited about these last couple of trades by Burke. I think the TML are finally moving in the right direction. What's your take on Burke acquiring a goalie before the deadline?
    Don't think we'll see that happen. Gustavsson is back on the ice very soon, and Giggy isn't seriously hurt, just a tweak from what I've heard. Scrivens will back up tomorrow, and either the monster or giggy should be ready for the next game.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Banned

welcome TK, hopefully you will usher in some positive trends for Leafs fans...actually scratch that I hope they stay the same old familiar Leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    welcome TK, hopefully you will usher in some positive trends for Leafs fans...actually scratch that I hope they stay the same old familiar Leafs
    wow. so encouraging mcgoo

I hope the Leafs do change, lots of great prospects and youth in the system. Mckegg had a 4 goal night last night!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Welcome. Great trade today but I don't necessarily agree that the leafs "need to get younger". The Leafs only have 4 players over the age of 30 in the ENTIRE organization - Finger 31 , Giguere 34, cowan 34 and zigomanis 30. Our top 4 D are all 25 or under - Phaneuf (25), Gunnarsson (24), Schenn (21) and Aulie (21)

We need to get better through youth but Toronto is going to need to bring in some leadership in the offseason.

Good first post! I will be visiting often

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks for the good words Dean!

By younger, I meant that we needed to get younger in the sense of future assets. I think our team is young enough, but we needed to add some future assets, and Colborne fits the bill perfectly.

Administrator

Good stuff TK! Glad to have you here. Passion is what makes this place great.

I know I've neglected you in the sim league stuff but rest assured I'm making the push to get you on board. Myself and the commish both hit weird busy stretches but we're still committed to getting the teams filled and you're in the mix.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Welcome. Great trade today but I don't necessarily agree that the leafs "need to get younger". The Leafs only have 4 players over the age of 30 in the ENTIRE organization - Finger 31 , Giguere 34, cowan 34 and zigomanis 30. Our top 4 D are all 25 or under - Phaneuf (25), Gunnarsson (24), Schenn (21) and Aulie (21)

We need to get better through youth but Toronto is going to need to bring in some leadership in the offseason.

Good first post! I will be visiting often
    true dat Deaner, to me it seems a rudderless team...traditionally they always had good leadership even when the team was medicore....Gilmour, Sundin...Mahovolic if you need to go back that far

Dobber Sports Veteran

Off to take my 5 year old to his skating lessons thought I would stop in and I was more than happy to see TK taking over!! Great first post and keep up the good work!! You can be sure that I will stop in time to time but just to put in my 2 cents!! Its all yours run with it!!!

Oh and LOVE the Kabby deal though it was tough to watch him in a Bruins jersey last night...

Go Leafs Go!! and Congrats again TK

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    Off to take my 5 year old to his skating lessons thought I would stop in and I was more than happy to see TK taking over!! Great first post and keep up the good work!! You can be sure that I will stop in time to time but just to put in my 2 cents!! Its all yours run with it!!!

Oh and LOVE the Kabby deal though it was tough to watch him in a Bruins jersey last night...

Go Leafs Go!! and Congrats again TK
    Thanks for the kind words JD! Nice to hear you will continue to drop in, always nice to have a leafs fan like you

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    I was more than happy to see TK taking over!!
    I knew you'd be pleased with TK taking over!

Like most have said, you'll do great Tyler. Welcome to the team!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Master

Some pre-game notes:

-Ben Scrivens is backing up Reimer, with Giggy and Gustavsson out of the lineup.

-Gunnarsson and Schenn will line up side by side.

Not too much else to report, puck drop at 7.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wow, what goaltending. At least Carolina lost so 1 point gained with a game in hand.