Page 48 of 65 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Elliotte Friedman's 32 Thoughts

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts

July 13, last one for the summer:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...open/?shawct=1

Dobber Sports Pro

REJOICE!!!!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...nes-situation/

p.s. I think it now has to be changed to 31 thoughts
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Deity

As long as EF doesn't jump ship to The Athletic, I will be happy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^There's got to be something deeper on EF having a post #31 about Jill Sorensen.
    Suggests that there is a more serious issue there... but I'd assume its internal to the media group and doesn't push out into the Capitals, per se.
    Still - weird.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't see EF going to the Athletic. 30 thoughts are "long form" but he's not really a long form writer. And as the rights holder for the next what, 8 years (?) I can't see The Athletic being able to offer the same type of opportunity or salary Sportsnet can.

They also haven't really "poached" any top hockey talent. Ken Rosenthal in baseball and everyone was shocked by that. Russo, Portzline, and Duha are the closest thing, but they all left dying mediums.

Dobber Sports Pro

Dobber Sports Pro

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Applicable to fantasy hockey:

5. It’s possible that, for the first time ever, the majority of games could be played by people under the age of 27. One GM had a pretty interesting theory on young pre-NHL players and training camp. “I think you’re going to see this more and more every year. They are so well-trained now. Their seasons end earlier, their bodies aren’t as beaten up. They can go harder. The NHL vets, they need their rest. They are taking more and more time off-ice in the summer, and it’s not a bad thing. So, when camp begins, it’s likelier the younger players are more ready and make a better impression. It’s another reason the league is going younger.”

I've only been doing keeper leagues for about 7 years now.
    My work in my first keeper (NHLFL) was a complete disaster where I've made trades like sending Ovechkin/Kreider for the Sedins (4+ years ago, mind you, but...).
    In that league, I watched a forum member that used to be around named mounD strip his team bare of veterans and trade for youth & picks.
    2 years later: Absolute league juggernaut that just won 2nd straight championship (and this, a league with KEEN GMs).
    I'm dedicated to stripping my team down this year. I want Dahlin or Svechnikov. I'm going to spend the year trying to hawk my veterans for anything I can get.

In the 2-year old WHL, I saw three teams (havanablast, VintageVibe, and GoNucks) go very hard on youth in the inaugural draft.
    In their first season, they all finished bottom six of 24 team league.
    Then 6th-14th last year...
    And my projections have them 2nd/3rd/4th going into this (3rd) year.

For those that haven't been tracking the youth movement in the NHL.
    Three words. IT. IS. REAL.

Those holding onto 30+year old players are going to feel the pain very soon.
    Invest in young players, they are supremely better skaters, more active, shifty, smarter, and better conditioned than players 10 years ago.
    [We have one GM in the RHRS league who continues to draft "too-old" players. I expect him in the bottom 4 teams this year. Smart guy (who is rarely on forums), but simply doesn't hip to NHL youth movement.]

This is an area where a generation (me, as a 40-year old) would love to say "Oh, players in my day... we had Gretzky & Lemieux..."
    Nope, nah.
    Players NOW. Incredible.
    And the game is all about skill, skating, quick shifting, quick thinking.

If you haven't invested in youth in your keepers... do it soon, or be ready to have it forced on you.
    Rick Nash is done.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Applicable to fantasy hockey:

5. It?s possible that, for the first time ever, the majority of games could be played by people under the age of 27. One GM had a pretty interesting theory on young pre-NHL players and training camp. ?I think you?re going to see this more and more every year. They are so well-trained now. Their seasons end earlier, their bodies aren?t as beaten up. They can go harder. The NHL vets, they need their rest. They are taking more and more time off-ice in the summer, and it?s not a bad thing. So, when camp begins, it?s likelier the younger players are more ready and make a better impression. It?s another reason the league is going younger.?

I've only been doing keeper leagues for about 7 years now.
    My work in my first keeper (NHLFL) was a complete disaster where I've made trades like sending Ovechkin/Kreider for the Sedins (4+ years ago, mind you, but...).
    In that league, I watched a forum member that used to be around named mounD strip his team bare of veterans and trade for youth & picks.
    2 years later: Absolute league juggernaut that just won 2nd straight championship (and this, a league with KEEN GMs).
    I'm dedicated to stripping my team down this year. I want Dahlin or Svechnikov. I'm going to spend the year trying to hawk my veterans for anything I can get.

In the 2-year old WHL, I saw three teams (havanablast, VintageVibe, and GoNucks) go very hard on youth in the inaugural draft.
    In their first season, they all finished bottom six of 24 team league.
    Then 6th-14th last year...
    And my projections have them 2nd/3rd/4th going into this (3rd) year.

For those that haven't been tracking the youth movement in the NHL.
    Three words. IT. IS. REAL.

Those holding onto 30+year old players are going to feel the pain very soon.
    Invest in young players, they are supremely better skaters, more active, shifty, smarter, and better conditioned than players 10 years ago.
    [We have one GM in the RHRS league who continues to draft "too-old" players. I expect him in the bottom 4 teams this year. Smart guy (who is rarely on forums), but simply doesn't hip to NHL youth movement.]

This is an area where a generation (me, as a 40-year old) would love to say "Oh, players in my day... we had Gretzky & Lemieux..."
    Nope, nah.
    Players NOW. Incredible.
    And the game is all about skill, skating, quick shifting, quick thinking.

If you haven't invested in youth in your keepers... do it soon, or be ready to have it forced on you.
    Rick Nash is done.
    And where did you hear about this first - in cage match of course, where I "proved" that peak ages for all three major positions was trending lower.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    And where did you hear about this first - in cage match of course, where I "proved" that peak ages for all three major positions was trending lower.
    Incorrect.
    You covered it... and did a good job... and I chimed in to give you credit and verify a good point... just like I did here.
    But it is off-putting for you to think that your article was the first source that enlightened me to the youthening in the NHL.
    Just flip back a few pages in this thread where I quote a similar bit from an EF on Nov.1st about the emerging youth skills in the NHL.

Poor post.
    Please don't do that again... suggest you were my first enlightening on this topic.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Incorrect.
    You covered it... and did a good job... and I chimed in to give you credit and verify a good point... just like I did here.
    But it is off-putting for you to think that your article was the first source that enlightened me to the youthening in the NHL.
    Just flip back a few pages in this thread where I quote a similar bit from an EF on Nov.1st about the emerging youth skills in the NHL.

Poor post.
    Please don't do that again... suggest you were my first enlightening on this topic.
    Thank you for saying what everyone is thinking.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Incorrect.

Poor post.
    Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Thank you for saying what everyone is thinking.
    Yuh

The Magnificent One

Wow - a guy can't even give himself a pat on the back around here? Sure - my article wasn't apples to apples, but I put a lot of hard work into it and thought there was some parallel. But since others agreed with you, I guess I was wrong to even mention it. Apologies.

That having been said, and with all due respect, please do not boss me around. I realize in your own way you mean well, but a message like that makes it come across that you're better than me and the boss of me, when I don't think either of those things are true.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

Dobber Sports Wizard