Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Retired - Carolina Hurricanes

Banned

Dobber Sports Apprentice

OK, so I'm like two+ weeks late on this but I will have some info for you guys shortly. I managed to dig up a bit by way of notes on each player requested.

One quick note that I thought might catch people's attention: As I had speculated in other threads, Dalpe is lining up on the wing in the pre-season. Tonight he will start the game on a line with Sutter and Larose.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Kudelskis Krushers View Post
    One quick note that I thought might catch people's attention: As I had speculated in other threads, Dalpe is lining up on the wing in the pre-season. Tonight he will start the game on a line with Sutter and Larose.
    Fantastic news, you can never have too many multi positional players
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Canes lost 3-1 to the Sabres last night. Unfortunately I didn't see the game so I'm just relaying second-hand info.

Goal scored by Sutter, assisted by Dalpe. The third wheel on that line was Larose, who left the game injured. Patrick Dwyer also left injured.

Boychuk was playing fourth line (bad news in a pre-season game) and looked very uninspired. Bowman and Tlusty both looked like they were hungry for a spot and I read that Bowman's defensive game was quite solid. Samson was buzzing around as usual and, as usual, he missed a couple of golden opportunities.

Murphy and Faulk were both exposed at times. At least one of the goals came off a Sabre beating Murphy one-on-one. One recap that I read suggested that a second may have been his fault as well.

Stewart, by all accounts, looked slow. There are a lot of reports suggesting that he's out of shape and his interviews have suggested that he's not on the same page as the other guys in terms of off-season work-outs.

Granted, this is just one game so take it from it what you will.

Also, Joslin wasn't in the line-up due to illness. For me, the D pairings will look like this:

Pitkanen - McBain
    Allen - Gleason
    Kaberle - x

My hunch for that last spot is that it will boil down to Joslin and Harrison, while Kruegger has an outside shot (though apparently not if he plays the way he did last night). Rasmussen has improved a lot but is unlikely to beat out the others with professional shut-down experience. And for me, Faulk could use a full year in the AHL to refine his game and Murphy needs to add some muscle to his frame.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I'd really be interested in your thoughts on the Canes' young players too, and what their roles will be with the team this yr as well as the future:

Boychuk: great AHL numbers, should get more ice time
    Terry: timetable? His numbers are good...
    Dalpe: Lots of hype - for real?
    McBain: great debut - decent full season. Does he have regular 45+ pt potential?
    Faulk: another big-hype guy...
    Joslin: looks like an NHLer...any decent point production?
    Dumoulin: don't know much

Maybe some ballpark regular point production projections...

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    any chance to get a lil insight on the top notch prospects of the Canes? Would be especially intrested in Bowman, Faulk and Dumuloin... I´m really looking forward into a in depth anlysis. So far i´m kinda shocked to not hear good things about those three especially on Faul, i was very high on him and really penciled him in as a solid guy in 2 years. Seems like i need to rethink that assumption.
    I'm not really one for point predictions. I know that this is a fantasy site and all but I'm just not comfortable throwing numbers out there. I'm not at all a statistician, I'm just a through-and-through hockey fan. I think that it would be arbitrary (and irresponsible) for me to provide such predictions.

Still, some notes on the guys you were asking about:

Terry - Seems like this guy has been around forever. He was a solid scorer in his junior days and has demonstrated an ability to be a game-changer at the AHL level as well. He has strong offensive instincts. The knocks on Terry have always been that he lacks foot-speed and acceleration, as well as strength. It will be interesting to see if/how that has changed this year after training with Gary Roberts over the summer.

Dalpe - Not sure what more can be said about this guy. The Dobber boards have been hyping him for quite some time. GM Rutherford has commented that he believes that Dalpe is the best prospect within the system and has pretty much guaranteed him a spot in the opening day line-up. The possible line combination of Dalpe - Ruutu - Skinner was mentioned by the GM about a month ago. As I noted above, Dalpe lined up at LW in the Canes' first exhibition game, on a line with Sutter and Larose. That line created the only goal of the night for Carolina. Dalpe plays a sound, two-way game. His work ethic is top notch and his conditioning is good. While he doesn't do anything very flashy, he is consistently effective. I think that his chances of becoming a productive NHLer are very, very high but I can't see him ever becoming a Kesler-like presence on the second line. Weiss is probably a better comparable.

McBain - This guy is the real deal. He played the overwhelming majority of his time with Pitkanen, which is something many vets have struggled with due to the unpredictability in Pitkanen's unorthodox style of play. McBain has all the physical tools to succeed defensively. More importantly, he has a strong offensive game and a wicked shot that is most effective when he creeps down to the face-off circles. I don't think that the addition of Kaberle hurts him. Rather, I think that it allows him to grow into his role without being unnecessary pressured to succeed.

Faulk - Maybe I was misleading in my previous posts. I don't think that there's much question that Faulk will be an NHLer, and a productive one at that. I just don't see it happening with the year. Then again, Rutherford recently observed that Faulk was the Canes second-best player at the Traverse City Tournament. Here's a snippet of his analysis: "I would say he has an outside chance of making the Hurricanes this year," Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford told NHL.com. "He sees the ice and moves the puck and can skate and is really built (6-foot, 205 pounds). He's in good shape. In Traverse City, he stood out as a high-level player. Ideally, we'll give him more development time in Charlotte, but we're keeping an open mind in camp with this guy."

One key piece of information I gleaned is that his skating has improved quite a bit over the summer. He was fairly mobile at the Team USA WJC camp and made quite the impact throughout his time there. At even strength he was paired with Forbort and on the PP he formed a lethal duo with Seth Jones.

Glen Wesley, who works with Canes' D-men commented that Faulk's conditioning is already that of an NHL player's and that he is big and strong on the puck. He said that Faulk would be a key guy to watch at this year's camp. Incidentally, Faulk was one of the first people to show up at Raleigh and participated in the optional skates preceding camp.

In sum, all very positive news surrounding Faulk. No reason not to be high on him, I just don't see him being quite good enough to play top-four minutes/PP for the Canes. I suspect that if the choice is between him being the 6th Dman in Raleigh or the top dog in Charlotte, Rutherford would prefer that he logs the big minutes for the Checkers.

Joslin - Good size and strength and he may not be done growing. Plays physically and yet moves the puck well offensively. It was incredible how quickly and seamlessly he fit into the Canes system after getting traded by San Jose last season. If one of Kaberle or McBain falter at some point in the season, I think that we could see Joslin get an opportunity to create some offence (for the record, I think that if Joslin has a good pre-season and plays the way he did at the end of last year, he'll beat out Harrison for the sixth spot on the blue line).

Dumoulin - Couldn't find much new on Dumoulin. He'll be going back to college. Largely a defensive Dman that can nevertheless move the puck efficiently. Comparable in terms of impact might be somewhere between Hjalmarsson and Hamhuis.

Boychuk - Don't bet on more ice time. I'm not sure that he'll even make the team. While he has good speed and forechecking ability, he has struggled to bury the puck in the back of the net, which is what he was drafted for. In fact, he has displayed a tendency to pass the puck a lot more, leading the Checkers in assists and going on a good scoring streak during the playoffs. Boychuk has good offensive instincts but he lacks defensive awareness and his effort level is wildly inconsistent. Further, while he's not afraid to engage physically, he is not very effective at playing the body. He was played on the fourth line in the first pre-season game, which was mostly young'uns in the line-up, and he failed to contribute much of anything. The writing may be on the wall for him... he'll have to really step it up if he hopes to have a future in Carolina.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Canes make 6 cuts

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589260

Notables are Austin Levi and Victor Rask. Rask will be plying his trade for the Calgary Hitmen in the Dub, despite being AHL-eigible. Levi (a big, strong shut-down Dman) is expected to be the top dog for Plymouth this season and to focus on developing the offensive side of his game (per Hitmen coaching staff).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default GM Rutherford to stay

The Hurricanes announced today that their GM, Rutherford, has been extended pursuant to a four-year contract. I haven't been crazy about most of his moves in the past but I've liked what's been cooking since this past trade deadline.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default New Pre-season Line-ups

Forwards:

Ponikarovsky - Staal - Jokinen
    Skinner - Ruutu - Stewart
    Terry - Brent - Boychuk
    Brett Sutter - Nash - Bowman

Missing are:

Dalpe (probably second line winger instead of Stewart)
    Brandon Sutter (third line centre)
    Larose (might still be banged up but will be a fixture on L3 and may even see some time on L2)
    Tlusty, Samson, Dwyer (injured), and Brent are all in the mix for bottom-six duty as well.

Defence:

Pitkanen - Gleason
    Kaberle - McBain (this could be a lethal duo)
    Faulk - Murphy (have been paired together all pre-season; Faulk has been more impressive)

Missing are:

Allen (Depending on where Kaberle fits in, Allen will be 4/5 guy)
    In addition to Faulk, Harrison, Joslin and Krueger are favourites for the 6/7 spots. Sanguinetti and Rissanen are in the mix as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Notes from Pre-Season Game 2

Lost 3-2 to the Predators.

Ponikarovsky: 2G, 0A, +1, 2 shots, 1 block, 3 hits, TOI 17:43
    Staal: 0G, 2A, +1, 3 shots, 1 block, 1 hit, .600 FO%, TOI 19:42
    Gleason: 0G, 0A, +1, 2PIM, 1 shot, 4 hits, TOI 15:29

Ward saved 21/22. Peters 8/10.

In the post-game Maurice said that he was very pleased with the way Ponikarovsky played. Said that he did okay in LA being asked to adjust to a checking role but that he would be used more like the way he was in T.O. (complementary scorer).

Maurice said that he was impressed with Faulk and Murphy and that if you were rating the two of them based on how they played, age would not even be mentioned.

He said to expect Staal and Jokinen to be a consistent pairing this season and he suggested that the third forward with Staal and Jokinen would be "a big body" (so likely a battle between Poni and Stewart).

He also said that we should expect Kaberle to get a good deal of the offensive minutes to open up shooting lanes, and (more obvious) that Peters was AHL-bound with Boucher to be the back-up.

In terms of other comments on the game, two more forwards went down with injuries last night, both of the lower-body variety. Tim Brent was cut badly enough that he needed stitches. Apparently it is not too bad but may keep him out of the next exhibition game. Ruutu left the game but Maurice said that it was for precautionary reasons.

Two more names to add to the list of guys battling for bottom six spots: former Edmonton prospect (Riley Nash) and former Flames prospect (Brett Sutter). Both players have been very effective in a bottom-six role thus far and have left observers with a very positive impression, compared to the underwhelming play of Terry and Boychuk, for example. Sutter, in particular, is one to consider as he was one of the most consistent players for the Charlotte Checkers in their long playoff run last year. Depending on the severity of the injuries to Brent, Larose and Dwyer, there could be more spots available on opening night than originally thought.

Dobber Sports Ace

what are your thoughts on McBain in the upcoming year. Is this kid still a couple years away from really breaking out and making an impact with the recent acquisitions on the back end and the re signing of Pitkanen
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    what are your thoughts on McBain in the upcoming year. Is this kid still a couple years away from really breaking out and making an impact with the recent acquisitions on the back end and the re signing of Pitkanen
    Believe it or not, there have actually been rumblings from Canes writers that he should go down to the AHL for a year. Now that's not really realistic but I think that it's something to keep in mind in terms of his role on the team.

Personally, I see no reason why he can't continue to be an impact player for the Canes, which he was last year. His overall ability, coupled with the fact that he's a right-hand shot, will ensure that there's a role for him in the top-four and on the PP (though probably not the first unit to start the year).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Faulk in the NHL this year?

I haven't seen Maurice say that Faulk WILL play in Carolina but he is being strongly considered:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ulk-to-skinner

Given how strong he was in camp, I'd expect him to at least start the year with the big club (though it's worth remembering that Dalpe did that last year and still spent most of the year in the AHL). If he falters, the Canes will have no problem turning to Joslin/Harrison.

Dobber Sports Wizard

What's the word on Murphy? Is he going to see some action this year? He's still with the club. Thanks for any info in advance.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Icon

I'd like to know any inside info on McBain - lingering injury? Doghouse? Being shopped? Just not that good?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Their D is crazy right now. Murphy and McBain are both with the team but being scratched... Faulk's been playing but has been negative every night. Allen and Gleason seem to be the only reliable ones ATM.