Page 46 of 79 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Philadelphia Flyers

There are a few things to comment on from the STL game last night.

Konencny - Love this kid. I cannot wait to watch him develop into a great player.

Voracek - man beast. So strong on the puck. Incredible to watch.

Hitchcock - he is a masterful coach. Watching the positional play of his team was a real eye opener. They are a much better coached team than the Flyers. Maybe it was just the matchup? Hakstol's coaching style playing against Hitchcock's style puts the Blues into a good place to win? Not sure but, the Blues will be a real dangerous team this playoffs.

PHI powerplay - jeez.... We did score one beautiful goal by Schenn on the PP, but overall it was quite ineffective. The Blues were everywhere. Positionally, very strong. There was one stretch of PP time where STL was actually the more dangerous team. They hemmed us in our own end and got off a couple shots. They put on a PK clinic last night.

STL>PHI We got what we deserved last night. It was good to see Couturier back last night, bu maybe he threw off the line chemistry or something cause the boys did not look good for long stretches.

Leier - played on the top line with Giroux and Voracek. He adds nothing there. He was actually detracting from the offensive chances. He is probably being rewarded for his tireless work on the 3rd line. Thing is, he is good as a role player. Not so much on the top line. I hope that is a short experiment cause it did not look like it had much potential. Raffl is a better option there and I dont think much of Raffl on the top line either. I'm pretty keen to get Read and or Raffl back from injury.

Lines - I can understand why Konecny-Schenn-Simmonds is staying together. They are a great unit. Konecny is being put in a situation where is has the most chance to succeed. He's with talented players, getting good ice time and in all situations. I'm not sure what to do with Giroux and Voracek. I can understand Hakstol's dilemma. Dont want to break up KSS, but definitely need someone better than a pylon to play with G and Jake. In this case, I think its worth it. If G and Jake aren't scoring the team will not succeed. Here is what I would try:

Konecny-Giroux-Voracek
    Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
    Leier-Cousins-Weise
    Lyubimov-Bellemare-Vandevelde

My only worry about this lineup is Cousins taking faceoffs on the 3rd line. Maybe Body Gordon is the answer there? He's a bit of dead weight, but he is excellent on the dot. Maybe knock down the minutes of that line and give the Bellemare line more time? The perfect situation would be if Scott Laughton developed into a 3rd line center. He's not that right now though. This lineup does a few things though... Konency has played well and might be a good spark for Giroux and Voracek. He's very intelligent and will add to the play rather than detract. Couturier is an accomplished player and good enough to center the 2nd line. He has offensive skill and can also bring things to the table for Schenn and Simmonds.

Pretty disappointed with the team last night. Not good enough.

Dobber Sports Master

First a couple thoughts on the NYR game.

Lundqvist >>> Mason. He was frigging awesome and I believe that he won the game for the Rags. Things would have been very different if we managed to score on at least one of our first PP opportunities. Lundqvist was huge and did not let that happen. Mason could not do the same for the Flyers and the momentum switched.

I have been thinking this for a while now, my patience with Gostisbehere is officially over. He is average at best offensively and he is most definitely a defensive liability. I do not like him at all. I do think the Flyers are still in a building phase. We will need to grow the D before we are ready. We do have a 3-4 year window to win a Cup. Giroux is 28, Voracek is 27 (I know! He's already played 8 seasons), Simmonds is 28, Schenn is 25 and Couturier is 24 . Simmonds has the shortest contract. He's got this year and then another two. The others are signed fairly long term and for good money. Konecny will be a good player and Provorov will be an elite option on D. We are in a fairly good place and we will continue to get better.

We need at least one of Morin or Sanheim to be a top pair dman and skate with Provorov. We also need this to happen fairly quickly so we can work within our 3-4 year window. Our defense is where improvement is needed. Mason is an average goalie. If he has excellent defense in front of him, he will be fine. Ideally we would get an upgrade in the next couple years, but its no longer our biggest concern. Gostisbehere needs a defensive rock to skate with him. A guy like J-Bo would be great. He is too much of a liability to have him skating with Manning. Dont get me wrong I do like Manning. He can take care of himself for the most part, but he cannot look after the mess that Ghost leaves behind as well. Its too much to ask of him.

I think its clear that Provorov is our best dman right now at the age of 19. This is both good and bad. He has no business being our best dman, but there it is... He is. We should have better options than a 19 year old, but we do not. Playing that many minutes will help his development, but he shouldn't be our best guy. We cannot make a real playoff push this year. I think we'll make it, but would not be surprised with a 1st round exit.

Dobber Sports Immortal

^^ Well this is telling for the league I kept Ghost in this offseason...

Thanks for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

^^ Well this is telling for the league I kept Ghost in this offseason...

Thanks for the input.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Wow, I loved what the Flyers did at the draft!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftsearch.h...sition=&round=

And not just because we got Patrick.

We also Got Ratcliffe who was a potential first rounder, we got Morgan Frost in the first round (maybe a bit early) - but these two picks offset each other.

Then in the 4th round we got a guy that was considered a first rounder going into the season, so hopefully he can bounce back in a huge way - Strome.

I also really like the pick of Sushko in the 4th round.

Then biasedly I really like our 7th round pick, played on the local Junior A team a few years ago and is another Manitoba boy.

The Schenn trade might sting a bit at first... we didn't save much money in that deal, just 1 year, but Schenn was younger. I am hoping Filpulla and Lehtera have some 'Finnish' magic together.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm hoping good things for the draft picks too.
    Frost will be interesting... and when I was watching that trade it spurred a thought for another thread I am going to make.

Article on Schenn trade from the homer-side:
    https://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...es-ron-hextall

I liked Schenn, but he is/was sort of the 5th wheel on a very good PP.
    And his even-strength numbers were quite poor.
    He had a below 50% Corsi shot%... he was -13... of his 55p, only 8g,18a were at even-strength.
    I mean... how many 3rd line guys in the NHL scored 26 esp... a LOT right?
    And Schenn has always seemed a bit lost at C - he's always felt like half a C... half a W... forward-pergatory.

That said about Schenn, I'm not certainly not a big fan of Lehtera.
    If a team has two wingers that they want to take the wheels off (Schwartz, Tarasenko), OK fine - have a defensive-minded center and give them a green light.
    But... I don't really think PHI has these two wingers... so Lehtera... (???)... especially after Filppula... mmm... Hextall has too much left-over love from his days with Flyer Finns! (I loved the ol' Flyer Finns, FWIW)

I think the trade was more of a "master-plan".
    And this is where the Flyers’ current situation comes into play. The heart of this deal is an assumption from Hextall that the short term downgrade from Schenn to Lehtera is outweighed by the long-term value of two additional first round picks. If the Flyers were in the hunt for a Stanley Cup title, this wouldn’t be a smart move to make, as maximizing on-ice value in the here and now wins out in those situations. But no one is realistically expecting a team that missed the playoffs last season and will be breaking in between three and six rookies to be a title contender in 2017-18.

PHI is going to be aiming to peak around 2020.
    The D pipeline is set, they have several potential goalies - but the NHL is flooded right now so they CAN always sign them.
    They are essentially just planning a "top 9"... and probably realized that Schenn's contract is UFA right then.

I kind of take Lehtera out of the picture, I think it was essentially trading Schenn for the picks (& taking Lehtera's contract to balance for STL).
    GMs are picking their timing these days - and I think the wisest thing PHI/Hextall are doing is realizing that NOW, next two years, is still not the right time to peak with WAS/PIT/TB still being excessively strong.

I'm OK with the trade.
    Biggest question is... who takes that beautiful 5th spot on the PHI PP.
    Is it Patrick immediately? Or somebody else?

The best part of being a PHI fan right now... it feels "OK" to be patient.
    That can often be a tough feeling, but I'll wait out for 2-3 years from now, because PHI is going to be incredible eventually.

Oh - that PHI/EDM cup still haunts me... I want that rematch back in 2020-2021!!!

Dobber Sports Master

I agree Peng, but I am less forgiving than you. I think this deal sends a bad message. Hextall does not have a lot of confidence in this team in the short term. They are in a rebuilding phase, but I think they should have been out of that by now. I'm pissed cause I see what you do... we ain't competing for a 2-3 years. That is what this deal says to me and the rest of the fans. I dont accept that. I'm pissed off.

It might be the right decision, but ****ing hell..... that doesn't make me feel any better. G is 29 now. Will he be able to lead us three years from now? Not sure, he plays a tough game. I think we only get competitive in 3 years and a strong contender in 4-5 years. G, V and Simmonds will be a lot older then. I think Hextall will deal all three of them before he think we are ready to compete.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Biggest question is... who takes that beautiful 5th spot on the PHI PP.
    Is it Patrick immediately? Or somebody else?
    I think Konecny gets a legit shot.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

How do you guys see their lines this year? Where does Lindblom fit in the lineup? Konecny? Weal?

Konecny-Giroux-Voracek
    Filppula-Couturier-Simmonds
    Lindblom-Patrick-Read
    Weal-Lehtera-Weise

if we have lindblom in the lineup where does Raffl fit or is he the odd man out here?

Dobber Sports Master

I think you might be close to the reality for next year. In other words, it will be a top nine, rather than a top 6. Scoring will be spread across 9 players and as a result, you might see a lot of 60 point players, but no point per game guys. The problem with that lineup is there are alot of players that are too good for a fourth line, but not enough 2nd line types. Raffl, Read, Weise and Lehtera are all fairly expendable. That also doesn't include Scott Laughton or Mike Vecchione. Too many role players but not enough impact players. German Rubtsov might turn into something as well, but we dont really need might bes. We need actual good players. I'm sick of waiting which is why I still hate that Brayden Schenn deal. He would be a great addition to the top 6.

Konecny-Giroux-Voracek
    Schenn-Patrick-Simmonds
    Lindblom-Couturier-Filppula
    Weal-Lehtera-Read

I wish we could be doing that. Maybe even Scott Laughton ahead of Lehtera. I think we need to play Laughton more if he is gonna work out for us.

Dobber Sports Deity

You do realize that Schenn is in STL now eh?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I think you might be close to the reality for next year. In other words, it will be a top nine, rather than a top 6. Scoring will be spread across 9 players and as a result, you might see a lot of 60 point players, but no point per game guys. The problem with that lineup is there are alot of players that are too good for a fourth line, but not enough 2nd line types. Raffl, Read, Weise and Lehtera are all fairly expendable. That also doesn't include Scott Laughton or Mike Vecchione. Too many role players but not enough impact players. German Rubtsov might turn into something as well, but we dont really need might bes. We need actual good players. I'm sick of waiting which is why I still hate that Brayden Schenn deal. He would be a great addition to the top 6.

Konecny-Giroux-Voracek
    Schenn-Patrick-Simmonds
    Weal-Lehtera-Read

I wish we could be doing that. Maybe even Scott Laughton ahead of Lehtera. I think we need to play Laughton more if he is gonna work out for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You do realize that Schenn is in STL now eh?
    I thought the same thing at first. I think he was just trying to show how much better the flyers would be with Schenn.

Dobber Sports Deity

Ahh, my bad.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Yes, I was probably confusing there. Schenn makes our team better, which is what I was trying to say. I have no idea why Hextall would trade him. He's coming into his prime. I'm actually still pissed off... Its a move for the future, which drives me nuts.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post

Konecny-Giroux-Voracek
    Schenn-Patrick-Simmonds
    Weal-Lehtera-Read

So at this point Dale Weise is fighting for a spot on the team you figure? Looking at them forwards it might be Weise or Raffl as the odd man out but I'll keep an eye on their statuses.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    How do you guys see their lines this year? Where does Lindblom fit in the lineup? Konecny? Weal?

Konecny-Giroux-Voracek
    Filppula-Couturier-Simmonds
    Lindblom-Patrick-Read
    Weal-Lehtera-Weise

if we have lindblom in the lineup where does Raffl fit or is he the odd man out here?
    I would move Weal up to the 1st or 2nd line. I also think Filppula will play center and push Patrick to play wing. Lindblom probably starts the season in the AHL and is the first player to be called up. All in all, my best guess is:
    Weal-Giroux-Voracek
    Konecny-Filppula-Simmonds
    Read-Couturier-Patrick
    Raffl-Lehtera-Weise

Filppula and Couturier could easily switch spots, depending on chemistry with the wingers.