Page 36 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Master

I think the Flyers just woke up. 9 goals in the last two games.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Philadelphia Flyers

I see the Flyers thread is lacking some activity here in the offseason. What's everyone's thoughts on the team now?

Dobber Sports All-Star

That team is still in trouble until they get solid goaltending and defence. That Sanheim boy will help them greatly in a couple years but they need back end help right now.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'm starting to come around on Steve Mason, but I'd like to see another quality season out of him before being 100% confident in him. It's just hard to forget the guy that was one of the worst goaltenders in the league for four seasons.

The bigger issue is that they Flyers have never replaced Pronger, and now Timonen is probably in his last season with the team. After this year we're looking at a blueline of Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann. You're not winning any championships with those guys. Hopefully the young guys we've drafted recently will be the answer, but defensemen take a while to develop, and by the time Morin/Hagg/Sanheim/Gostibehere are a championship caliber defense we may have wasted Giroux's prime seasons.

All of that said, I expect a better record this year if only because you'll have a healthy Giroux for 82 games and I think the Ragers have gottena little worse over the offseason.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by strider2k2 View Post
    I'm starting to come around on Steve Mason, but I'd like to see another quality season out of him before being 100% confident in him. It's just hard to forget the guy that was one of the worst goaltenders in the league for four seasons.

The bigger issue is that they Flyers have never replaced Pronger, and now Timonen is probably in his last season with the team. After this year we're looking at a blueline of Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann. You're not winning any championships with those guys. Hopefully the young guys we've drafted recently will be the answer, but defensemen take a while to develop, and by the time Morin/Hagg/Sanheim/Gostibehere are a championship caliber defense we may have wasted Giroux's prime seasons.

All of that said, I expect a better record this year if only because you'll have a healthy Giroux for 82 games and I think the Ragers have gottena little worse over the offseason.
    I agree with you on Mason. What makes it scary is the fact that Mason was given nothing in Columbus and eventually burned and crashed. Looking at the Flyers, their defense is unchanged, which isn't good. It certainly isn't doing Mason any favors.

The weird thing about Timonen is that he came back to win a Cup. He said so himself. But looking at this team, they aren't even capable of reaching the Conference Finals, let alone winning a Cup... speaking of next season, that is.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Interesting piece on Scott Laughton today on philly.com. Do you think he's NHL ready? I'd like to think so, personally. But even if he isn't, I'm confident he'll have a very successful NHL career.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...s__roster.html

Dobber Sports Initiate

Timonen also said he was going to play for the Flyers or retire, so I wouldn't read too much into the "I came back to win a Cup" comment. What else is he going to say? "I'm not done with hockey so I figured I'd come back and get knocked out in the first or second round?" lol. everybody in the NHL plays for a Cup, some players are just more likely to get there than others.

Ready or not, I think I'd rather see Laughton play a season in the AHL in a top six role than have him buried as our fourth line center. Maybe if Lecavalier gets traded and he could play the wing on the third line it might be worthwhile, but I still think I'd prefer some minor league seasoning first for him.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by strider2k2 View Post
    Timonen also said he was going to play for the Flyers or retire, so I wouldn't read too much into the "I came back to win a Cup" comment. What else is he going to say? "I'm not done with hockey so I figured I'd come back and get knocked out in the first or second round?" lol. everybody in the NHL plays for a Cup, some players are just more likely to get there than others.

Ready or not, I think I'd rather see Laughton play a season in the AHL in a top six role than have him buried as our fourth line center. Maybe if Lecavalier gets traded and he could play the wing on the third line it might be worthwhile, but I still think I'd prefer some minor league seasoning first for him.
    There's no doubt in my mind that Laughton is ready for the AHL. He's going to be a special player when he does break into the NHL. With that being said, I feel they shouldn't rush any of their prospects. This includes Sam Morin, who bulked up in the offseason. Rushing them could be a double-whammy, resulting in shattered confidence, and team losses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that Laughton is ready for the AHL. He's going to be a special player when he does break into the NHL. With that being said, I feel they shouldn't rush any of their prospects. This includes Sam Morin, who bulked up in the offseason. Rushing them could be a double-whammy, resulting in shattered confidence, and team losses.
    Define special.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Define special.
    Yeah...really... Are we talking "special" as in "rare talent"? Or " "special" as in "Big EV"?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like Philly for 3rd in the Metro... 5th or 6th in the East.
    Not thrilled, not disappointed in the off-season.
    They are a pretty tight-knit group - I still wonder if they'll make a chase for Evander Kane at the trade deadline if WPG is stumbling.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Yeah...really... Are we talking "special" as in "rare talent"? Or " "special" as in "Big EV"?
    Thanks for that.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Special, meaning captain material one day down the road.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What will the top 6 look like in Philly this season?? With Hartnell gone, it leaves a pretty big hole at LW..

Does Schenn step up to play with Giroux and Voracek??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports All-Star

Keep an eye out for Matt Read or possibly even Jason Akeson sneaking into that position. We won't know until after training camp to see who wins the Giroux linemate lottery.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion