Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - January 17

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - January 17

Here is the fantasy mailbag for today, folks! The good news is that Avs Weekly got switched to Sunday night instead of Monday nights, so I'll have some more time to answer your questions.

School of Block is a good one today - Win and You're In! Check it out before you ask questions on Florida, Los Angeles, Colorado and Washington goalie situations!

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks for doing this again.

What do you think of the future in TB? Are Desjardins or Tokarski capable of being solid starters in the NHL?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Now that T Bay are obviously not going to sign Nabokov, do you think he has a realistic shot of signing somewhere before the season is out. And who would be your 3 most likely destinations (as things are now, not when you wrote article in December). Thanks Justin!

Full Keeper, 1pt G, 1pt A, 2pts W, 3pts SO
    (only count top 8F, 4D, 2G, and 1 Rookie each year)
    Separate Reg Season and Playoff Winners

F: Stamkos, Giroux, Thornton, St. Louis, Duchene, Hossa, Gaborik, Nash, M. Koivu, Briere, Ray Whitney, Franzen, Filppula, Clowe, McDonald, Read
    D: Edler, Chara, Voynov, Diaz, Larsson, Timonen
    G: Holtby, Niemi, Bryzgalov, Brodeur, Ramo, Vasilevski
    Farm (Rookies): Schultz, Conacher, Forsberg

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Ward

Justin thanks for taking the time for this.

How do you feel about Cam Ward in the long term? Good team situation, should post solid numbers over the next few years? I probably should have asked this earlier as I just acquired him in a keeper but he was not the main player targeted in the trade.
    Nothing to see here...keeper league folded right at the start of the season

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Justin-
    In a long term deep keeper league I have Steve Mason. Should I hang onto him and hope that he develops some consistency( and Columbus acquires some decent defenders)? Or is it worth it to trade him for Corey Crawford? I'm not in a position to win for a couple of years, so I'm thinking long term(I also have Garon and Wesslau).....thanks

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Kiprusoff - is there a turnaround coming?

Currently sporting a .903 sv% (34th in the league) and a 2.68 GAA (26th).

Even with his slightly better other stats (17 wins for 14th, 911 saves for 11th) he's far from posting good stats this season... I drafted him pretty early hoping for something a little closer to last year..

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Thanks for doing this again.

What do you think of the future in TB? Are Desjardins or Tokarski capable of being solid starters in the NHL?
    Tampa's future in goal is very bright and yes, both are capable of being solid starters in the NHL. The key is how the organization manages their development path and whether or not the goalie can take advantage of future opportunities. CD was recently injured in a game (I believe back on Friday) and left early and was replaced by Tokarski. Not sure about the severity of the injury but it's obviously a setback for sure.

I am still in the mode of thinking that Tampa will find a way to shed Ellis and then graduate CD and re-sign Roloson for a year. That's just what I would do and so I'm speculating it COULD happen and that would be the best way to roll in my opinion. Odds are probably a little higher that they keep Ellis through the summer and maybe go with Rolie/Ellis to start the season and then if CD simply has nothing to prove, or Ellis bombs again, they finally trade or waive ellis and then CD takes his spot.

Tokarski probably still 1-2 years because of CD but not a big deal, he could use the experience in the AHL anyways. Still hasn't had a season to call his own as far as workload due to Janus clogging things up as well.

Janus was just recalled to Norfolk, so it sounds like CD will at least miss the next couple of games.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by flaupmes View Post
    Now that T Bay are obviously not going to sign Nabokov, do you think he has a realistic shot of signing somewhere before the season is out. And who would be your 3 most likely destinations (as things are now, not when you wrote article in December). Thanks Justin!
    The only place i see Nabokov signing before the season is over is Ottawa.

Most likely destinations for him (not for the rest of this season, but counting this summer) would be Ottawa, Colorado and possibly Phoenix if they choose not to re-sign Bryzgalov (doubt that happens though). Odds are good that Colorado passes on Anderson, unless he has an insanely strong second half.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by hockeytowner View Post
    Justin thanks for taking the time for this.

How do you feel about Cam Ward in the long term? Good team situation, should post solid numbers over the next few years? I probably should have asked this earlier as I just acquired him in a keeper but he was not the main player targeted in the trade.
    Cam Ward is one of the most steady, reliable, talented and solid goaltenders in the NHL. Like every goalie, he has ups and downs, but because he has stayed healthy through the first half, I expect him to be just as consistent in the second half. I think I saw a stat today that after today's loss, he only has six since mid-November. He just does what he does and he always gives Carolina a chance to win on any given night.

It kind of sucks for Justin Peters owners. It reminds me of what's happening in Minnesota with Josh Harding, minus the injuries. Peters simply doesn't play enough to improve his long-term value and it also makes it tough for other GM's to see any value in him because the scouts don't see him play enough.

But in Ward's situation, gotta love his workload and his potential to post quality numbers for the rest of this season, for 2011-12 and 2012-13.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface View Post
    Justin-
    In a long term deep keeper league I have Steve Mason. Should I hang onto him and hope that he develops some consistency( and Columbus acquires some decent defenders)? Or is it worth it to trade him for Corey Crawford? I'm not in a position to win for a couple of years, so I'm thinking long term(I also have Garon and Wesslau).....thanks
    If you are looking at the second aspect of Columbus acquiring some defense, then I think your best bet is to hang tight and see what Mason can do in the second half of the season. I would personally make the move and go after Crawford for two reasons.

1. He has already displayed consistency in his rookie season.
    2. He has been seasoned in the AHL and has experienced the highs and lows of dealing with things like injuries and weak stretches of play.

Mason had consistency in his rookie season, but we all know how last year went. I don't see Crawford falling off the map next year like that because you have to consider that he hasn't been nearly as strong or efficient as Mason was as a rookie. So you have a little more reliability there because Crawford's ceiling isn't as high. If he has an even better sophomore year (doubt it happens, but it could) then you're just that much better off owning him.

But to be a little bit safer, you mine as well wait and see what happens in the second half of the season...unless of course you're backed up against the wall and have to choose Crawford now, lest you lose a chance to snag him forever. If so, go after him. Otherwise, wait it out!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thank you so much for doing this! I have two questions for ya:

The first question: Anders Lindback or Jonathan Bernier in a Dynasty League.

My second question: Would you trade both Neuvirth and Varlamov to acquire Hiller?

My League scoring in sig.

Thanks again!
    12 Team H2H Dynasty League
    4x4 settings (G ,A, +/-, PIM, W, GAA, SV, SV %)
    3C, 6W, 6D, 2G, 12 bench- 3 IR spots

C= R.Getzlaf, J.Toews, E.Malkin
    W=A.Ovechkin, P.Kane, C.Perry, B.Ryan, K.Okposo, J.Eberle
    D=M.Green, Letang, K.Yandle, P.Subban, J.Carlson, D.Phaneuf
    G=T. Rask, S.Varlamov

BC= T.Seguin,M. Perreault, T.Tatar
    BW= Calvert, Z.Boychuck, L.Omark, J.Morin
    BD= B.Smith, S.Elliott
    BG= M.Neuvirth, J.Bernier, A.Lindback, B.Holtby, R.Emery
    FARM= C.Kreider, B.Connolly.
    Draft= #1 Pick overall in 2011 prospects Draft

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey Justin,
    I posed this question in the forum, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

In reference to my sig team below, would you trade Neuvirth for Brodeur? I'm currently holding down first place, but it's a pretty tight race (top 3 within 3 pts). So I'm looking to win this year.
    By owning Fleury and Rask, it's almost guaranteed I won't be keeping Neuvirth, so I think he could be a good trade commodity. Brodeur has been playing better and he would give me a consistent starter which Neuvirth is not.

It's also important to note the current owner of Brodeur also owns Varlamov.

Thoughts?
    8-Team Keeper League
    Roto Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    Starting roster: 3C, 2LW, 2RW, 2W, 2F, 5D, 2G
    Keepers: Any 6

C: *Marleau, Duchene, Roy, Bergeron
    LW: *D.Sedin, Benn, J.Staal, Gagne, Burrows
    RW: *St.Louis, *Nash, Horton, Doan
    D: Letang, Boyle, Shattenkirk, Seabrook, Montador
    G: *Fleury, *Hiller, Khabibulin, Brodeur, Rask
    IR: Goligoski

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey Justin,

My question for you is: For a full keeper league (including prospects) where goalie stats are simply 2 points for a win, and an additional 3 (5 total) for a shutout... Which side of the equation do you prefer, and why?

Brian Elliott, Robin Lehner
    for
    Steve Mason

It's for the league in my sig, and I already made the trade this morning (My Elliott, Lehner)... But I was honestly quite surprised when you just told someone you'd rather Crawford than Mason. Maybe you just REALLY like Crawford... I just can't help but think he's the next Niemi, who at least in my league isn't worth too much right now.

My line of thinking in this trade is that Mason has shown his potential/upside in his rookie year... He's had a sophomore slump (albeit an extended one) but can really only go up from here, especially on a young and seemingly improving Columbus team.

Whereas in Ottawa, they are a team that seems to be trending downwards... And at some point in the next year or 2 I would imagine Lehner and the starting goalie (likely Elliott) will be splitting starts... Which in a league where Wins and Shutouts are all that matter... Starts are huge.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I'm curious what you think! Thanks! :P

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Kiprusoff - is there a turnaround coming?

Currently sporting a .903 sv% (34th in the league) and a 2.68 GAA (26th).

Even with his slightly better other stats (17 wins for 14th, 911 saves for 11th) he's far from posting good stats this season... I drafted him pretty early hoping for something a little closer to last year..
    I don't see many signs that lead me to believe he's headed for a major turnaround. As I wrote in the mid-season guide, he's got the potential (he's still an elite goalie, just not with the usual focus and efficiency we're used to seeing) but I don't expect anything drastic. I still think he finishes with better stats and he'll have a better second half. But right now, we saw it in the game against the Habs tonight, he gives up four again.

A lot of people have been disappointed by Kiprusoff...and it's something that happens to a couple of elite goalies every year.

Maybe ask in the next couple of weeks on a Monday if Kipper is looking any more viable as a buy-low candidate. But right now, I don't see it ... especially after tonight's game.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Bruins21 View Post
    Thank you so much for doing this! I have two questions for ya:

The first question: Anders Lindback or Jonathan Bernier in a Dynasty League.

My second question: Would you trade both Neuvirth and Varlamov to acquire Hiller?

My League scoring in sig.

Thanks again!
    It's really hard to go against size and quickness set like Lindback has. And I think Korn is a much better mentor and goalie coach compared to Ranford. I know those are two pretty random aspects of the two goalies, but looking at a dynasty league, you want a goalie that's got more long-term traits. And obviously Lindback's size and guidance is one up on Bernier.

I would definitely hang on to both Caps goalies and pass on that trade. One is mentally tougher than the other but both goalies are extremely talented and still very young. This bodes well for a dynasty league, so I would hang tight!!