View Poll Results: Which was the best Trade Fever to date (I - VII)?

Voters
45. This poll is closed
  • Trade Fever I - Drafts

2 4.44%
  • Trade Fever II - Learning to Read Your Opponents

5 11.11%
  • Trade Fever III - Preferences: Player's Edition

7 15.56%
  • Trade Fever IV - Preferences: Draft Edition

11 24.44%
  • Trade Fever V - Intro to Keeper and Strategy

6 13.33%
  • Trade Fever VI - Competitive Limbo and Self Auditing

8 17.78%
  • Trade Fever VII - Actions at the Trade Table

6 13.33%

Thread: [Trade Fever Series] Archives

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Default [Trade Fever Series] Archives

GMG's Trade Fever
    Trade Fever's primary focus is on playing the player. TF gives insight on how to read your opponents and predict their behaviours. It opens your eyes to patterns and trends seen in drafts and at the trade table. It also outlines player personalities, biases and preferences.

Trade Fever I - Drafts
    ~ Monday August 9th 2010
    http://tinyurl.com/TFever1

"The draft is about to start. You feel everyone's hype with their lists in hand. Like you, they did their homework and are just as anxious to pick the team that will carry them through the highs and lows of the season. You think you have the perfect game plan? So do they. It's funny how you can spend countless hours trying to predict who's going to be available (by crossing out the obvious choices, of course) in the 10th round, 15th round etc... Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. This article is aimed at increasing your chances of getting it right."

Trade Fever II - Learning to Read Your Opponents
    ~ Monday August 23rd 2010
    http://tinyurl.com/TFever2

"In the last Trade Fever, we discussed what a draft involves and introduced ways to maximize the value of your picks by being aware of your surroundings. That article also hinted at the fact that by reading opposing managers, you could better your team's selections and results. Well, this time around we'll to go deeper into that subject as there's more to winning your league than simply using statistics. To better your chances at achieving success, you must also understand how to play the player or else you'll find yourself being the one that's played. This article aims at helping you get the edge over your opponents by reading their clues and biases."

Trade Fever III - Types of Preferences: Players Edition
    ~ Monday September 6th 2010
    http://tinyurl.com/TFever3

"Just like the real NHL, every Fantasy GM builds their team differently and in turn looks for specific pieces to complement their team's puzzle. It becomes obvious to see which managers build their teams from strong drafts, from those that attempt to achieve success through trading. By looking at the teams in your league, you'll have a great idea of where most of the GMs stand in their building efforts. During this process, observe these managers in order to figure out their game plan, then attempt to find any biases that might be at play. Doing so will influence trade talks in your favour and will likely help maximize the return for your team."

Trade Fever IV - Types of Preferences: Draft Edition
    ~ Monday September 20th 2010
    http://tinyurl.com/TFever4

"In continuation of the last Trade Fever article, this entry will focus on the types of draft styles and preferences seen in managers when drafting a team. Whether it's a bias, a fluke or a habit, the following types might seem very familiar to you. While they might not require the same set of skills or influences needed to play the player, it's a great refresher to have come draft time. Get yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the read!"

Trade Fever V - Intro to Keeper Leagues and the Importance of Strategy
    ~ Monday November 1st 2010
    http://tinyurl.com/TFever5

"Playing the player is not just about playing rival managers, it is also about playing yourself. You can't forget that you're a player in the same league as everyone else and it's sometimes easy to lose focus of that fact. If you want to be a better poolie, you have to understand which kind of player you are, and need to see the big picture as you decide which direction to take your team in. Whichever route you take, it must align with your game plan and you must stick to it. You will face many tough decisions, some you might not want to make. If you're committed to the strategy you laid out, you'll be able to take advantage of key situations and better not only your team but yourself as well."

Trade Fever VI - Competitive Limbo & Self Auditing Your Team
    ~ Saturday December 11th 2010
    http://tinyurl.com/TFever6

"A lot of feedback was generated from the last issue regarding Competitive Limbo, many managers found themselves and their teams in Limbo without direction. This edition of Trade Fever will cater to those teams and provide some self auditing techniques. Being able to self audit your team can give you the leg up when attempting to play the player. Why? Because it gives you the chance to know where you stand, the direction you're headed in and pin point what your needs are."

Trade Fever VII - Actions at the Trade Table
    ~ Tuesday January 4th 2011
    http://tinyurl.com/TFever7

"Being part of a fantasy league allows us to become GMs and manage our very own teams to victory. Just like the real NHL though, some build their teams well and gain reputation while others simply fizzle out and eventually step down or get replaced. It takes a strong draft and sharp trading skills to stay in the running year after year - one small trade could set your team back at least one or more seasons if done incorrectly. As seen in previous editions of Trade Fever, there are steps that can be taken, such as self-auditing your team and understanding the opposition you're dealing with, in order to maximize your team's potential. This intro to trading will highlight the different actions met at the trade table, and show you how to react when faced with certain traders."

~ GMG

~~

Trade Fever VIII - Jack-of-all-Trades. Edition 1.0 released in the Top 100 : March 2012, later published via Fantrax (eight parts). Final version (2.0) will be published at a later date.
    Trade Fever IX - Roots & Hidden Value / Management Decisions & Respect - published via Fantrax (six parts) & released in Top 100 Roto : November 2012.
    Last edited by GMGates; November 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Trade Fever History -

It was this post on July 20th 2010 by forum member Hybrid that got me inspired to actually start putting down hockey thoughts on paper and eventually share them with the community. Everything kind of fell in place after that post as a day later, my first pre-Trade Fever thread was posted on the forums and it caught hockeypoolgeek's (and crew) attention.

One private message and a couple more pre-TF threads later, I found myself writing for hockeypoolgeek.com. Under their watch I was able to develop the writing skills I thought I had hidden away forever, since throughout my studies, journalism was never at the top of my list... how things have changed!

HPG was a stellar editor / publisher throughout the whole process and I couldn't have asked for better. And as you guys know, I'll always give credit when credit is due. Without that crew I would have never got to the point I am now - and I'm loving every minute of it!

Finally thanks to all those who supported the series to this point, greatly appreciated!

~GMG
    Last edited by GMGates; January 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates