Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - December 13

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - December 13

Hey guys apologies for not answering some of the questions left in here over the last week. As crazy as it sounds, I am undergoing a brand new project for a company called Elite Goalies. I am trying to complete the project before Christmas. Here is today's Fantasy Mailbag. I am going to be away for the afternoon but I promise I'll get to as many questions as I can tonight!!

Enjoy today's piece. It's just like any other School of Block - great insight but no correlation to a goalie's true fantasy value. More proof that you just have to watch as much hockey as you possibly can. The more you watch, the better pulse you'll have. Enjoy!!!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hello Justin,

Thoughts on Craig Anderson since coming back from his injury.

And I just acquired Igor Bobkov in one of my leagues pretty much as a throw-in in a trade and I noticed he was 51st on your list. Any thoughts on him.

Thanks again for doing this!
    Keeper straight points league (1G=1Pt, 1A=1Pt, W=2PTS and SO=+1PT)
    Dress 14F, 4D and 2G
    Protect 15 (in bold):

Forwards: Malkin, Sedin, Spezza, Stastny, Heatley, Gaborik, Iginla, Frolik, Voracek,Ladd, Steen, Selanne, Huselius, Bozak, Ruutu, Horcoff, Whitney, Bouchard, Galiardi

Defensemen: Boyle, Karlsson, Yandle, Lidstrom, Pronger, Foster, White

Goaltenders: Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Neuvirth

Farm (82 or less games played): Ekman-Larsson, Benn

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bonney View Post
    Hello Justin,

Thoughts on Craig Anderson since coming back from his injury.

And I just acquired Igor Bobkov in one of my leagues pretty much as a throw-in in a trade and I noticed he was 51st on your list. Any thoughts on him.

Thanks again for doing this!
    Read School of Block when it's posted for insight on Anderson since his return from injury. He has looked fantastic and a little calmer and more composed than usual. It's something I've wanted to see for a while and I'm excited to see how it pans out this week. 16 of the Avs' next 21 games are at home ... this could be his best stretch of the season over the coming 6-8 weeks.

Bobkov is settling in slowly to his first season in North America playing juniors. He hasn't had much ice time in games, but he did play very well for Russia in the Subway Super Series. He seems to be one of those goalies that plays better in more important games but has a lot of work to do when it comes to focus, consistency and rebound control. I still love his long-term upside and think he'll hover in the 40's and 50's for a few more years before turning pro, which is when he'll start to climb up the list for sure! Great long-term prospect for the Ducks.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sorry if I have missed you address this point already, but as a Price owner, should I be at all concerned with his current workload. There is obviously nothing I can do about, as I won't be trading him anyway, but I am curious as to your thoughts on the minutes he is playing and the pucks he is facing and how it could affect him later in the season. Thanks!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    Sorry if I have missed you address this point already, but as a Price owner, should I be at all concerned with his current workload. There is obviously nothing I can do about, as I won't be trading him anyway, but I am curious as to your thoughts on the minutes he is playing and the pucks he is facing and how it could affect him later in the season. Thanks!
    I would be "slightly" concerned. I think Price's style and technique is one of the most refined and economical in the NHL. Maybe Halak's is the only technique more economical. At the same time, he's played in a ton of games already and Alex Auld has rarely been used. I think at some point in the next few weeks, Montreal needs to look at where they sit in the standings and give Price some rest. Not that he needs to be rested, but if they want him sharp in March and April, they need to give him some days off.

From a fantasy perspective, I wouldn't be too worried. He's on such a roll right now that you mine as well have him play as much as possible. I'm sure you and management want to get the most bang for your buck out of him.

But like with any goalie (think Anderson and Quick last season) ... playing 70 games and having the mental focus and toughness in the playoffs is near impossible. Otherwise you'll probably see some backup or 2nd tier goalie that only played 40-50 games once again have a major surge in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone like Anderson or Rinne or Crawford since they won't play 70 games this year.

But yeah...Price is a stud. I wouldn't be full-blown worried but definitely something to keep an eye on. Doesn't seem like they have much faith in Auld right now but using him more would be a good way to keep Price sharp and honest.

Read School of Block today as I discuss him a little more.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Simple enough... 1-year league counting W, SV%, GAA and SHO, pick your two favorites between Lehtonen, Hiller, Varlamov, Crawford or Lindback (until Rinne comes back as I currently have him on IR). Or should I consider trying to add Nabokov as soon as Yahoo! adds him to the players list?
    Last edited by jasdou; December 14, 2010 at 7:03 AM.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
    Simple enough... 1-year league counting W, SV%, GAA and SHO, pick your two favorites between Lehtonen, Hiller, Varlamov, Crawford or Lindback (until Rinne comes back as I currently have him on IR). Or should I consider trying to add Nabokov as soon as Yahoo! adds him to the players list?
    I love a Hiller - Crawford or a Hiller - Lindback combo. Thats going to provide you with a great save percentage and some shutouts. Lindback is going to post very good percentages playing behind a defense-first Predators team. But since you have Rinne you might want Lindback since you'll eventally need to drop one of those goalies.

Nabby's agent talked to Tampa Bay. It's a bit of a high-risk, high-reward situation since nothing concrete has come of it, but definitely think about it. It's a perfect fit in TB and they had success with an older Russian goalie before. Yzerman would be smart to bring him in.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I think Price's style and technique is one of the most refined and economical in the NHL. Maybe Halak's is the only technique more economical.
    This isn't a fantasy hockey question. but...

Do you think Price and Halak influenced each other's styles when they were both in Montreal? Did the Montreal goalie controversy end up helping them become better goalies in the long run?
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by honduranhockey View Post
    This isn't a fantasy hockey question. but...

Do you think Price and Halak influenced each other's styles when they were both in Montreal? Did the Montreal goalie controversy end up helping them become better goalies in the long run?
    Absolutely the two goalies influenced each other's styles. I wrote about this topic on here 2 years ago and then finally expanded on it with some quotes from some NHL goalie coaches right here:

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2010/1...-of-shadowing/

And yes, the controversy helped them become better goalies. When you face pressure-filled situations, regardless of how you compete and perform during that stretch, when it's all said and done, a goalie always comes out more experienced and usually more mentally tough than before.

A few other goalies that played some games in Montreal have gone on to be very successful, including Roy and Mathieu Garon.