Page 41 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit Red Wings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Detroit Red Wings

Quote Originally Posted by kaverorzi View Post
    Decent article on wings prospects and how they performed at the TC tournament.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments...-prospects-3rd
    Go back and read Malik's other posts for each game too.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Malik is covering regular training camp now, several posts every day. At the end of each day he posts a blurb about every player. I'm pasting them here, bolding the stuff I think is noteworthy. Here's the one for yesterday:

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments...-training-camp

Team Delvecchio (and there are signs stuck to the locker room doors that say "Delvecchio #10," etc.)

Forwards:

#13 Pavel Datsyuk: May have had more fun than anyone else in practice. Friday's practices were all about rotation and support--sort of an, "If everything goes right, we're going to move the puck up and down ice as a team, so our personnel deficiencies don't matter" theme--and Datsyuk managed to weave in some dekes, dangles and goofing with goalies that just illustrated how much he absolutely adores playing the game.

Oh yeah, his knee! Looks great. Absolutely great. No worries there, he's happy and goofing off in practice, all great signs.

#18 Joakim Andersson: His hands were off, and when his hands are off, that's not a good thing. He looked a little clunky.

#21 Tomas Tatar: He looked sharp and ready to take advantage of his spot on Pavel Datsyuk's line. Speedy, urgent, a little gritty.

#43 Darren Helm: Also looked like he wants a spot on Pavel Datsyuk's wing, might fit in there quite well as a forechecking, space-making winger.

#56 Teemu Pulkkinen: Using a Bauer stick instead of a CCM, more tape on the blade, still has a wicked shot and a half.

Defensemen:

#4 Jakub Kindl: Kindl started the day with Easton gloves and switched back to Bauers. He looked a lot like Jakub Kindl, except when he was paired with Danny DeKeyser. When challenged to skate, he could meet that challenge. That was intriguing.

#23 Brian Lashoff: First day of camp but skated as if his job was on the line.

#47 Alexey Marchenko: Still not doing crossovers, still testing his ankle when he's skating laps, very wide stride to begin with, but he's not quite at 100%. Close but no cigar.

#53 Joe Hicketts: Babcock had to stop drills three times to correct Hicketts, but Hicketts had no problem with that. Looked a little less speedy among NHL competition but enthusiasm remained.

#65 Danny DeKeyser: Shook off a little first-day-of-camp rust, looked a little bigger on his frame and was no-frills responsible.

Goalies:

#35 Jimmy Howard: Howard's got new leg pads and new gloves--or versions of leg pads and gloves he broke in during the Olympics--but he's using the same glove he always has, and while he looks a little more flexible, those damn pop-outs remain an issue.

Team Lindsay:

#8 Justin Abdelkader: Wearing shot-blocker plastic inserts on top of his gloves, Abdelkader did his best to keep up up with Nyquist and Sheahan when the trio were together. He didn't stand out but played a skilled game.

#14 Gustav Nyquist: Ready to go and ready to play well. His skill level's so high that you almost don't see him working his ass off, but it's the fact that he works hard that's gotten him to where he is.

#15 Riley Sheahan: Gone full Bauer gear-wise, looked ready to play and quite confident in his game.

#26 Tomas Jurco: Speaking of flashy...Jurco's also a Bauer endorsee now, and he's got red palms on his flashy mitts. Babcock had to stop the drills a couple of times and didn't seem to be too thrilled with Jurco's dipsy-doodling when he should've been grinding away. That's Jurco sometimes...He wants to indulge his inner Datsyuk, but he hasn't earned that right quite yet.

#82 Tomas Nosek: He had a harder time getting up to Babcockian speed but he soaked in what he could and did not look out of place at all.

Defensemen:

#3 Nick Jensen: Healthy for the first time in forever, Jensen moved the puck very well and took instruction very well. Still really starting out his first full pro campaign at 24.

#48 Ryan Sproul: Sproul worked so hard during the prospect tournament that he had a bit of a let-down day. Still a tremendous individual talent; gotta put it on the same page as his teammates' games.

#52 Jonathan Ericsson: Probably needs some occupational therapy on that left middle finger but he looked fine and looked like he was rarin' to go.

#55 Niklas Kronwall: Super-serious as usual and very much so at ease in his role as the team's de-facto #1 defenseman.

Goalies:

#34 Petr Mrazek: Looked like he was trying to control his motion a little more. Was a struggle at times but there's more patience to his game.

Team Howe (which I only watched for the scrimmage):

Forwards:

#17 Daniel Cleary: His beard is better than my 10-o-clock shadow and he looked...Competent. Shh.

#20 Drew Miller: Miller looked a little stronger on his stick and he was working very hard to show he can flash some skill. He said he was on a mission to prove he could score more prior to camp.

#40 Henrik Zetterberg: Aside from looking healthy, and talking like a man who was in no pain, Zetterberg was his elegant skilled-and-sneaky self. He was making great plays, ragging the puck up the ice and scoring slick goals, smiling the whole way. Seemed really happy to be at camp and doing well health-wise.

#41 Luke Glendening: Scored a goal. Which reminds us all that it's training camp.

#42 Martin Frk: A little out of his element but did his best to show off a little bit of his playmaking and speed.

Edit: #72 Andreas Athanasiou: Like everybody who really gave their all during the prospect touranment, he looked a little gassed, but he's also battling a flu bug. Still speedy as hell and able to make plays at high speed.

#93 Johan Franzen: Pretending to wear a visor, but that's fine if Kronwalling it means fewer blows to the head. He actually looked really good and engaged.

Defensemen:

#2 Brendan Smith: At his best, was spare, at his worst, was...Fancy.

#25 Mattias Backman: Saw his lanky frame and ever-so-brief flashes of the kind of skill he brought at the prospect tournament.

#27 Kyle Quincey: He hasn't changed a bit.

*Sighs*

#61 Xavier Ouellet: Seemed to be regaining his footing, sometimes he's a support defenseman and sometimes, sans massive speed, he can create a whole bunch of offense by skating the puck up the ice.

Goalies:

#50 Jonas Gustavsson: Breaking in new pads, used a Team Sweden glove for a while, was...Spartan. Gustavsson is always spartan, and when he goes down and stays down you worry. But he got back up.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

And here's the one for today:

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments...-training-camp

Team Delvecchio

Forwards:

#13 Pavel Datsyuk: Datsyuk was a little less visibly playful today, but there are times that Pavel puts it on cruise control and still out-works everyone on the ice. I can't emphasize enough how much attention he puts into detail and that even Datsyuk will ask a coach for a pointer or make sure that his teammates know where they're supposed to be. Again, he looks to be at full health.

#18 Joakim Andersson: I don't want to say this out loud, but man, for someone whose job is on the line, does he look pedestrian. He's just not shown much of anything other than clunky hands.

#21 Tomas Tatar: Good, very good, offering some tenacity in the drills, looks quick, looks sharp, looks smart.

#43 Darren Helm: Fast, fast, fast, and I think that the winger's role is something of a break for him from the rigors of playing as a defensive center in Mike Babcock's system. In this role, he just gets to have fun generating turnovers and playing alongside the Magic Man.

#56 Teemu Pulkkinen: It's been intriguing to watch Pulkkinen work on his defensive game and the details thereof. His hands are sure as hell there and he's getting a little more tenacious as he finds his comfort zone--and he doesn't get checked nearly as much as he used to--but he seems to understand that he has to play well in his own zone to get to the next level.

(edit: And for what it's worth, all the bloggers agree that Pulkkinen looks like he's at least nearly ready to challenge for a roster spot. We think he's doing a helluva job thus far /end edit)

Defensemen:

#4 Jakub Kindl: Kindl is a little sharper and a little less...He's making simpler, smarter plays instead of trying to paint works of art. It's training camp, so how well he stands up to physicality in games has yet to be determined.

#23 Brian Lashoff: Better today, very subtle but grinding and getting in the right position and working quite hard to be invisible as a defensive defenseman.

#47 Alexey Marchenko: Now that Marchenko says he's at 100%, watching his unique skating style is a little less worrisome. He's not the "poor skater" some have suggested--he's just not fast. He gets from point A to point B properly, and he plays a very technical game that allows him to utilize angles to his advantage.

#53 Joe Hicketts: Scored another damn goal! Hicketts still faces odds much longer than his 5'8" stature in trying to earn an NHL or AHL contract, but it's hard to count him out when he keeps on producing.

#65 Danny DeKeyser: Much better today, looked like whatever weight he's gained has gone into his ability to move the puck with more oomph. No-frills-superb.

Goalies:

#35 Jimmy Howard: SlapShotgoal and I are convinced that Howard's changed his positioning a little bit--maybe hunching down six inches more and pushing his blocker out to the side more--but Howard insisted that he hasn't done so. He made some big toe saves today, stickhandled well and looked strong.

Team Lindsay:

#8 Justin Abdelkader: Didn't see much of him today, and what I did see was kind of blah. That can't happen come October.

#14 Gustav Nyquist: Slick and slick and also slick, needs to shoot the puck even more than he's shooting it now. Does have good chemistry with Weiss.

#15 Riley Sheahan: Better, grittier, but very quiet. Especially physically.

#26 Tomas Jurco: He's said all the right things but he definitely looks "off." He's not quite up to par stickhandling and shooting-wise and he's just lagging a step behind. Maybe he's a slow starter.

#82 Tomas Nosek: Had to be talked to repeatedly during some drills, but he doesn't demure, he learns. Continues to play strongly and plays better as games get more physical!

#90 Stephen Weiss: The Weiss we were promised. Strong on the puck, speedy, sneaky gritty, great passer, smart shooter. I hope he holds up.

Defensemen:

#3 Nick Jensen: Again, the best of the young defensemen thus far. Looks poised and polished, playing a smart game and moving the puck (or lugging it) strongly.

#48 Ryan Sproul: Better today, was a little less of a spectacle and more of a part of a puck-moving machine.

#52 Jonathan Ericsson: Tyler Bertuzzi knocked Kronwall over at the end of the "half" and Ericsson very purposefully grabbed Bertuzzi and just sort of looked at him. Let him know that was enough and that he picked the wrong guy to hit. Ericsson seems to have grown into this whole, "I'm a leader/kind-of-elder-statesman" role.

#55 Niklas Kronwall: He's been fun to watch, skating at 100% and playing gritty hockey on top of his superb offensive skill.

Goalies:

#34 Petr Mrazek: Square and sound, Mrazek is a little more serious this time around.

Team Howe

Forwards:

#17 Daniel Cleary: If I were to go based upon his training camp showing I'd tell you that he was downright competent and may be on his way back to being a valuable contributor. If I were to go based upon his injury history, I'd say, "Wait and see..."

#20 Drew Miller: Was predictably nearly invisible but showed some grit.

#40 Henrik Zetterberg: Sometimes he's literally playing out there, or at least he makes it look that way.

#41 Luke Glendening: Continued to display hands and poise. Am afraid of what might happen if he's really found some sort of competency with the puck.

#42 Martin Frk: Getting up to speed ever so slowly, very good playmaking.

#57 Mitch Callahan: He's had to tone down his gritty game to some extent because he can't hit his opponents to hurt them, but he's going to the front of the net and grinding it out.

#72 Andreas Athanasiou: Drills had to be stopped so that he was getting what was going on and so that he was in the right spot. Today was not his best day and his attention span seemed to wane, but that happens.

#93 Johan Franzen: Better today, less plodding, more shooting.

Defensemen:

#2 Brendan Smith: More efficient today, less flash, more dash, but still Smith-y, good and bad.

#25 Mattias Backman: SUPERB today. Backman blew the doors off average and was one of the players picked to start out drills because he was getting everything right. He looked like he should've during the prospect tournament--like someone who can become a DeKeyser II-style defenseman.

#27 Kyle Quincey: When he fell over, people laughed. He's...Kyle Quincey.

#61 Xavier Ouellet: Had a much better day, along with Backman, seemed to set the tone offensively and looked half-a-step faster.

Goalies:

#50 Jonas Gustavsson: Very antsy during drills, did a lot of squaring up and trying to break in those new pads, looked strong and solid when called upon.
    The comments about Weiss finally looking like the Weiss we expected AND having chemistry with Nyquist makes me...

GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dak... If Weiss is indeed back to form, what do you think his numbers could be this year? Looking for a potential sleeper.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think 50 is doable if he's healthy all year and really is as good as he used to be. I'm hoping for a Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist line. Franzen and Nyquist have had pretty good chemistry before and Weiss, if healthy and up to speed, brings good balance to the line.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I should have asked all my questions in one post! How do see the lines shaking out? I also thought I had read somewhere that zetterburg and nyquist had chemistry, is that correct or am I in left field?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The lines will be changing from period to period, as it usually does with Babcock.

Right now, in camp, they're doing Tatar - Datsyuk - Helm, Nyquist - Weiss - Abdelkader, Cleary - Zetterberg - Franzen and then it's a jumble of fourth liners. I don't expect those to stick. Those are there because Babcock wants three different scrimmage teams.

My best guess is something like this, but it's going to change, like I said:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Helm
    Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist
    Tatar - Sheahan - Abdelkader
    Miller - Glendening - Cleary

Kronwall - Ericsson
    DeKeyser - Quincey
    Smith - Kindl
    Lashoff

Howard
    Gustafsson

Zetterberg and Nyquist did have chemistry last year, but Zetterberg and Datsyuk have had it for a decade and are absolutely insane when they're both healthy and together. Nyquist doesn't need Z to drive offense.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Genius

Alfie's future still up in the air.

@DarrenDreger: Alfredsson is having difficulty in quest to regain full strength. He's skating offsite as well, but decision soon if things don't improve.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, maybe it's time to hang'em up Alfie.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

Just grabbed Sheahan off the wire.

Hows he looked? Im hoping that he will remain with Tatar and Jurco and solidify himself as a 2nd PP option with some looks on the top PP. That realistic? It was nice to see that in last nights OT 4 on 3 PP he was the net front presence.

Think he has a few more gears offensively or does he max as a 50 point 2 way guy?

Any insight appreciated
    Thanks!
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Novice

Its still early this season but it looks like Dekeyser is getting a ton of PP time. In the boston game Oct 15, 2014, he had more PP time than Kronwall. Is this a trend that will continue? Anyone have any thoughts on what this kind of utilization will do for his output? Dobber's guide had him at 30 with 43 pt sleeper potential. Thanks

Dobber Sports Stud

Tonight vs Philly-

Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Nyquist

Datsyuk, Helm and Tatar

Sheahan, Jurco and Nestrasil

Glendening, Miller and Andersson

Defensive pairings remain the same as Thursday and PP #1 is Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Jurco, Helm, Kronwall and PP #2 is Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar, Nestrasil, DeKeyser.

Gustavsson in goal.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Stud

1:08pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive...

"Neither guy (Datsyuk and Helm) played in training camp (as much); maybe later on I'll like it, but right now it's just a line and so both guys are trying to get their game back," Babcock said after the morning skate. "I thought Pav in the last 10 minutes of (Thursday's 4-3 overtime win over Pittsburgh) was effective; Helmer was in on some scoring chances. So both of them as time goes on and they get healthier and fit they'll be much better."

The Red Wings are looking for ways to jump-start Tatar, who has one point (a goal) in seven games. Helm has no goals and three assists.

"We did a pretty good job in that one (preseason) game and then both guys got hurt unfortunately and we couldn't stay together the rest of the camp," Tatar said. "But we looked pretty good; hopefully we can transfer it to tonight's game, too."
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Star

Sheahan worth holding onto in a keeper? Pretty underwhelming thus far and now looks like he is 3C

Cut bait?
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Depends on how deep the league is. He has 2C upside. In my league, I would keep him, but we're 12 teams with a 25 man regular roster and a 25 man farm team.
    GO WINGS!