Page 97 of 370 FirstFirst ... 47 87 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 107 147 197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Super Moderator

I think us Canadian teams need to stick together. At least until one of us win a cup, let's show a little team work.

And not on you, Blayze, but I find it whenever I read a Leaf fan talk a little trash, then the Leafs go on a losing streak so I hope that trend doesn't continue.

But since this is an Oilers thread, I actually think the Oilers will be ok, and yesterday was one of only a couple of glimpes I've seen of the team this year, but I haven't seen much said about Schultz and maybe I'm out to lunch, but I found his play yesterday worrying. He didn't seem to get engaged and just seemed to be lacking something. Was that just on off game or has that been a trend this season? Or maybe my old eyes just deceive me.
    Last edited by smack; October 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As a Dubnyk owner I am obviously biased, but do Edm fans really think he is the problem?

I understand he has let in some softies this year. But so have Quick, Bernier, etc.

The last few games Dub has looked half decently and I think he is getting shat on when the real culprits are the defensemen, and the fact that their forwards are terrible defensively. Going beyond the last few games where he has played well, I've seen highlights and he is giving up goals from point blank range that no goalie would have a chance on. And it's not like he wasn't a good goalie last year either.

Watching the game last night, the goalies aren't the issue, it's the rest of the team.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Agree with wopap, there's problems everywhere on the team.

Forwards are mostly small and don't play a physical game. They do well in run & gun open ice but get killed on half-court offense part. They also got too many prima donnas on the ice at once and nobody is willing to go in the corners or in front of the net to do the dirty work. Defense is too soft and don't have the large bruising defencemen who kill anybody who gets too close to Dubnyk. GM is too timid to pursue a trade to fill the teams needs cause they see everything through rose color glasses and over value very player on the roster.

What EDM needs in a trade is a bruiser forward like Steve Ott or Wayne Simmonds, and they need defensive guys like Grossman and Orpik to protect the zone.

The problem with EDM is there's too much foreplay and not enough quick & dirty!
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Padawan

As a die hard Oilers fan, and one that was looking for the positives earlier in the season, all I can say is that this just gets more depressing every game that goes by.

We all know about the multiple issues they have, but one thing that seems to sting the most for me is that they seem to find ways to lose instead of find ways to win. Watching them let in weak goals based on blown coverage, defensive breakdowns and lack of tenacity on the puck over and over is so frustrating to watch.

They've been in some close games this year and they just always seem to find a way to offer up great chances to the other team on a silver platter to steal the game away.

Something has to change. Will it help? Who knows. They haven't shown any real signs of improvement since they missed the playoffs in 2006, which has to be getting to one of the longest dark periods of any NHL franchise.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    Something has to change. Will it help? Who knows.
    they should fire the coach and hire a new one

they haven't tried that recently, have they?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    they should fire the coach and hire a new one

they haven't tried that recently, have they?
    You listen to call in shows in Edmonton and its always "Fire Eakins, Fire Eakins!" and then "Fire Lowe!!".
    Neither of those will improve the team on the ice but Oiler fans like to have their whipping boys.

Doesn't help to have Hall and Perron (last night) sidelined. Even Smyth's occasionally good 2 way play is being missed.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Any move the Oilers would make right now would be coming from such a position of weakness that they would get utterly destroyed on the deal.

Stay the course, try and acquire a couple high end defensemen in the offseason, hammer defense and a strong system into the young guys and let er ride.

The team is not losing money, and the fanbase is so hardcore that that a few wins brings them all back, so staying the course is the only real option now.

The only exception to this is if guys like Hall/Eberle are partying cancerous children (which I wonder if it might be the case), in which case maybe you just HAVE to move them even at a loss to fix it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Any move the Oilers would make right now would be coming from such a position of weakness that they would get utterly destroyed on the deal.
    It's true... although this doesn't apply (as much) to the first move I'd make if I were the owners: Gut out the management, starting with the GM. That's where all the problems trickle down. They are the ones who drafted poorly, made bad signings, and failed to address the glaring holes on their roster. The fault lies with the GM more than anyone for putting this franchise in the shitty position it's in today. Gotta have the right pieces in place before you can be in the game.

Dobber Sports Guru

you know who would be a useful player for them? Teemu Hartikainen.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    you know who would be a useful player for them? Teemu Hartikainen.
    I was really rooting for Teemu and loved the type of game he brought. Sadly he was only able to bring it at the AHL level and any time he got a chance at the NHL level he just couldn't quite translate what he did well to the higher skill level (the physical presence/play).

If he could have done that then I agree he would have been the perfect type of player for the Oilers.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's true... although this doesn't apply (as much) to the first move I'd make if I were the owners: Gut out the management, starting with the GM. That's where all the problems trickle down. They are the ones who drafted poorly, made bad signings, and failed to address the glaring holes on their roster. The fault lies with the GM more than anyone for putting this franchise in the shitty position it's in today. Gotta have the right pieces in place before you can be in the game.
    They just hired MacTavish, so while you may be right, it just is never going to happen.

Lowe on the other hand has needed to go for years and years now and everyone except him and Katz have known it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

They just hired MacTavish, so while you may be right, it just is never going to happen.

Lowe on the other hand has needed to go for years and years now and everyone except him and Katz have known it.
    Sorry didn't mean MacTavish specifically, I meant both him and Lowe. MacTavish may have recently been promoted to GM, but him and Lowe were both part of the "old guard" who made all the poor decisions. Those two are just terrible, and they probably feed on each other's blind stupidity.

The Oilers feel like Research in Motion... everyone could see the writing on the wall for years since the iphone came out except for the two Co-CEOs who were living in a reality distortion field. Eventually the hole gets too deep and there's no climbing back out.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I was really rooting for Teemu and loved the type of game he brought. Sadly he was only able to bring it at the AHL level and any time he got a chance at the NHL level he just couldn't quite translate what he did well to the higher skill level (the physical presence/play).

If he could have done that then I agree he would have been the perfect type of player for the Oilers.
    Jesse Joensuu started out the season filling that role nicely and looked to be an upgrade on Teemu, but has only played 4 games due to back problems.

Not trying to make excuses, but the Oilers injury woes likely have some sort of impact on their record this year. They're already at 63 man games lost to injury not including the last two games. At least they're #1 in the league in something!

http://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-team...tober-27-2013/
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Star

its too bad that Dallas Eakins cant get the Oilers to play the right way. After a certain point, it's not the coach's fault. I dont watch many Oiler games but I can only assume theyre not playing hard and/or the right way.

I dont think theres a long-term solution. Franchise defenseman wont suddenly become available. Itll cost alot to get one, they may have to trade an Eberle to get a Yandle. I dont see any other high-end puck moving D even possibly being moved.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Itll cost alot to get one, they may have to trade an Eberle to get a Yandle. I dont see any other high-end puck moving D even possibly being moved.
    I don't think a Yandle is what they're lacking. Yandle is more what the Dallas Stars need.

They need more of a shutdown franchise defenseman, someone like a Suter or Keith or Chara. And they don't have time to develop one.
    Last edited by Instant Karma; October 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM.

RETIRED