Page 84 of 370 FirstFirst ... 34 74 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 134 184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Here's an interview that my buddy, Jerry Neville, just did with Gene Principe. Jerry is the morning man at Country 93.3 in Fort MacMurray and since moving out west, he has slowly been converted into an Oilers fan. Time limited him to the amount of questions asked but a solid interview none the less.

http://www.country933.com/2013/08/26...d-up-for-2013/
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Gagne to be the next captain:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...monton-oilers/

Considering no one else on the team can legally drink in the U.S. this seems like a logical choice

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Gagne to be the next captain:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...monton-oilers/

Considering no one else on the team can legally drink in the U.S. this seems like a logical choice
    Nice find. Gagner would be a fine choice. At the World Junior Championship in Sweden back in 2007, I had a chance to meet Sam Gagner and his mother. He was 17 at the time and hadn't yet been drafted. His Mom asked/told Sam to pose for a picture with my wife at the time's two young boys and he just came across as a genuinely good kid (respect for his Mom). His Mom was such a nice person and while it may seem like not a big deal for a hockey player to be "nice", I think that it showed a glimpse of what kind of "person" he was brought up to be. Character. Not caught up with how great a hockey player he was.

Anyway, if he is named the next Captain, I'll be leading the cheering section. Great person and he does have a little talent to boot.

Dobber Sports Monster

Ales Hemsky will be staying with the Edmonton Oilers.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 56s

"He's off the market. We want (Ales) to come in and make an impression. We want him to play a prominent role." - GM MacTavish
    Last edited by Shake; September 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Ales Hemsky will be staying with the Edmonton Oilers.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 56s

"He's off the market. We want (Ales) to come in and make an impression. We want him to play a prominent role." - GM MacTavish
    Translation :

No one wanted him. He best be working his guts out for that 5M!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Translation :

No one wanted him. He best be working his guts out for that 5M!
    Hemsky and "working guts out" have no business being in the same sentence together. He will continue to be the last player on/first player off the ice every practive just like the last 6 years regardless of how many 0's are in his bank account.

I wish they could have made a trade happen, but I'm not surprised that they couldn't. His attitude/work ethic are not ones I'd want around the young stars, I think he's one guy we need to get out of the room. He's going to be playing a thrid line role for most of the season, I'd much rather see a hard-working physical player in that roll. Maybe we still will when Hemsky gets hurt again at the end of October....
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Hemsky and "working guts out" have no business being in the same sentence together. He will continue to be the last player on/first player off the ice every practive just like the last 6 years regardless of how many 0's are in his bank account.

I wish they could have made a trade happen, but I'm not surprised that they couldn't. His attitude/work ethic are not ones I'd want around the young stars, I think he's one guy we need to get out of the room. He's going to be playing a thrid line role for most of the season, I'd much rather see a hard-working physical player in that roll. Maybe we still will when Hemsky gets hurt again at the end of October....
    Hemsky has busted his tail for the loser Oilers for his whole career, going to to the dirty places on the ice more than almost anyone else on the team during that span.

I agree he deserves to be traded, so he can go play for a real team.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Would much rather have Hemsky as the RW on line 2 than Perron at this point. He is more proven and actually had some decent chemistry with Yakupov and Gagner at times last year.

Hemsky's stint in Oiltown is unique. He was a key catalyst to their cup run in 06', and was their best offensive option for years, but the team hasn't made the playoffs in a long time. In the meantime, he's found himself falling down the depth chart as the young guns have been drafted and rolled into town.

A lot of teams out there would like Hemsky for their top six, but his salary is a bit high at this point. If the Oilers have another lame season, he will definitely be traded by the deadline. Many teams will be happy to have him for their playoff run.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    Would much rather have Hemsky as the RW on line 2 than Perron at this point. He is more proven and actually had some decent chemistry with Yakupov and Gagner at times last year.

Hemsky's stint in Oiltown is unique. He was a key catalyst to their cup run in 06', and was their best offensive option for years, but the team hasn't made the playoffs in a long time. In the meantime, he's found himself falling down the depth chart as the young guns have been drafted and rolled into town.

A lot of teams out there would like Hemsky for their top six, but his salary is a bit high at this point. If the Oilers have another lame season, he will definitely be traded by the deadline. Many teams will be happy to have him for their playoff run.
    Yeah, once his cap hit/salary is way down near the deadline he'll have value but still not a tonne as an expiring deal. I still agree with the Oilers extending him as it was better to hang onto him than let him walk for nothing and he still has something to offer. The problem is that they happened to sign him at a point in time where his contract really wasn't that appealing.

They couldn't move him for much last year because with the cap crunch his salary this season was prohibitive and they'll have a tough time moving him this year because his deal is expiring. If folks are really hell bent on seeing Hemsky out of town (and it could be in HIS best interests) then they are going to have to accept getting little for him in return. I don't accept that fate. I think Hemsky still wants to be here and still has something to offer.

I don't deny that injuries have sapped some of his usefulness and even made him despicably timid at times but for the most part Hemsky has been the type of guy who is willing to go to battle and take punishment despite being at a physical disadvantage. I can't imagine the psychological wear and tear that putting himself on the line like that for a perennial loser has had on him but it's no surprise to me that he has started to take the easy way out in recent years by pulling up and avoiding physical contact.

Maybe he truly does need a fresh start on a new squad. But you HAVE to get something tangible in return. Moving him for a pick is nothing short of spinning your tires in mud. At a certain point you just have to maintain a level of NHL calibre talent.

There's something to be said for the Oilers needing to get bigger and needing to improve on the blue line and up the middle. I just think they needed to add more NHL calibre bodies. You can compete in the NHL with 18 professionals in your lineup on a nightly basis. Moving Hemsky creates the salary to possibly get bigger or get stronger at positions of need but it doesn't guarantee that they will actually improve in those areas considering that's where the other 29 teams want to improve as well and moving him means one less proven professional on the roster. That's ultimately a step back.

And in any case, I'm just hoping this team is in the hunt come deadline time such that moving Hemsky isn't really an option. It's not sentimental for me, I'm just being real. How many marquee free agents want to come to Edmonton? Moving Hemsky for the pipe dream of signing someone else only works if you can actually pull it off. I don't think they can so if a trade has to happen, there had better be NHL calibre talent coming back.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

Canucks took head shot at Hall, hi-stick at Gagner, and ran 18YO Nurse all night. It's not just VAN. Anyone would will. Because they can.
    https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/st...49554833776640

Steve MacIntyre to the rescue? Pens waived him today so he's available right now. Nobody messes with SmackIntyre.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ninja

The high stick to Gagner looked accidental to me, and in the game Mike Brown ended up fighting someone anyways.

The idea that a fighter or heavyweight would prevent injuries like this is, in my opinion, 100% myth.

Injuries happen, and the game is physical.

Besides, you don't need a heavyweight to crosscheck a Sedin in the face - if retribution is what you're looking for.

Dobber Sports Guru

I called it!

Big Mac is an Oiler again.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    I called it!

Big Mac is an Oiler again.
    Well played!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I wonder if they have special dual bladed skates for him since he's arguably the most useless player in the league. What a stupid move for the Oilers. This whole franchsie simply doesn't get it.

There is zero evidence that employing a heavyweight does anything to actually protect players, and he will SURELY be a liability on the ice. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I wonder if they have special dual bladed skates for him since he's arguably the most useless player in the league. What a stupid move for the Oilers. This whole franchsie simply doesn't get it.

There is zero evidence that employing a heavyweight does anything to actually protect players, and he will SURELY be a liability on the ice. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    My guess is that he won't play much. They'll slot him in for certain games when they need to make a point or have that extra protection, but I think he'll be a scratch player most of the time.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.