Page 76 of 370 FirstFirst ... 26 66 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 86 126 176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Stud

I think coaching should also work on a more defensively oriented Ken Hitchcock type system that helped the Oil make it within 1 game of the Stanley cup in 2006 ( I think they were using the left-wing lock back then?). A better goalie would help too, but I think D is even more important. The young stars will develop and score no doubt, but good defensive backbone is often found in teams that advance through the playoffs. Washington has a load of talent, and back when Ovechkin was reeeally tearing it up (along with Green, Backstrom, Semin and the rest of the crew) they still couldn't advance to the finals because of D and G.
    Last edited by ShawneePanthers; April 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I'd love to see Edmonton trade Yakupov, but I think they will instead deal players like Gagner, Hemsky, MPS, and hopefully the first round pick also.

How about this?

Yakupov, Hemsky, 1st
    for
    Yandle, Hanzal

I know I'm dreaming, but it is fun to play armchair GM.
    At this point I'm totally out on Yandle for the Oilers. He would add the puck-moving and mobility on the left side that the team needs but he's not necessarily a minutes-eater so you need to grab someone stable to play the right side with him. That's not gonna be Schultz, Petry maybe but I doubt it and don't even try to sell me Potter. Had they for instance kept Gilbert and made a run at Yandle then we could talk but even then you are giving up big time assets to acquire Yandle when you could bring in a guy who adds a similar dimension in Mark Streit and do it for free.

I'm not saying that Streit is on the table for them but I think that it would be prudent to at least give that a go before paying the price tag for Yandle.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    you Oiler fans hop on to the Sens badnwagon. I know you don't care for the Nucks, Leafs, or Habs.
    I'll be on the Jets bandwagon until they get eliminated. Closest NHL team to me by a lot and I will definitely be trying to make it to a playoff game should they somehow get in.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Via TSN (Jamie McLennan I think) last night. The Oilers should be going hard after UFA David Clarkson. Agreed. They could use another guy like this as well, even at the expense of talent. Ryane Clowe or even take a chance at Nathan Horton (who looks brutal this year), at least you only sacrifice money. Toughness or the ability to go to the scoring areas without getting injured should not be underrated. We have enough perimeter (aka pretty boys) players.

Mark Streit. He could help.

Trade for Yandle. Hell Yes. Good luck doing this though, he won't be let go cheaply.

This summer sure is going to be interesting with the cap going down significantly. Just wait until the Oilers win the lottery again this year!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Via TSN (Jamie McLennan I think) last night. The Oilers should be going hard after UFA David Clarkson. Agreed. They could use another guy like this as well, even at the expense of talent. Ryane Clowe or even take a chance at Nathan Horton (who looks brutal this year), at least you only sacrifice money. Toughness or the ability to go to the scoring areas without getting injured should not be underrated. We have enough perimeter (aka pretty boys) players.

Mark Streit. He could help.

Trade for Yandle. Hell Yes. Good luck doing this though, he won't be let go cheaply.

This summer sure is going to be interesting with the cap going down significantly. Just wait until the Oilers win the lottery again this year!
    Hell yes on David Clarkson. OH. HELL. YES.

And as I threw out there in the ramblings get down and dirty with some offer sheets.

I threw out the big names from Winnipeg and St. Louis they could/should mess around with but the Rangers are another target. It's just a damned shame they dealt Gaborik and solved some of their long term issues as they will probably have the funds to match any offers for Stepan and McDonagh now. McD was the guy I'd have targeted and hell I'd still try. I'd go as high as two firsts, a second and a third as compensation to get him, even if the cap hit could be punishing somewhat punishing down the road and there'd also be huge backlash from other teams. I just think you need a #1 defenseman. It's too hard without one.

But in saying that, they should still definitely chase down the UFA options because they are free additions.

Banned

why would any free agents want to sign in edmonton?

i guess money talks, but it is going to take a big overpayment to get anyone to sign there...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post

i guess money talks, but it is going to take a big overpayment to get anyone to sign there...
    Maybe. Justin Schultz signed last summer, which gives me absurd amounts of confidence and to get an RFA, as I am suggesting, they'd need to overpay so the other team doesn't match and pretty much all UFAs get overpaid so that comes with the territory.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post

Money and winning. Ask Detroit. It's similar to Edmonton in terms of what it offers but they actually win games. Edmonton is going to need start winning and then they can sign players, but before that it will be a struggle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Money and winning. Ask Detroit. It's similar to Edmonton in terms of what it offers but they actually win games. Edmonton is going to need start winning and then they can sign players, but before that it will be a struggle.
    that was my point. in relation to most of the other teams that will also be heavily competing for these same free agents, edmonton has a worse team than most, a far worse management team than most, and worse living envirnment than most. everybody has to overpay for free agents, but edmonton would really have to overpay to get one to bite. i would be suprised to see it happen. yeah they got schultz and that may or may not work out for them down the road (this year has been a complete disaster), but to see an actual nhl calibre player with real assets to bring to the team will be a hard sell for Mac and the boys...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Money and winning.
    This.

With a guy like Clarkson, how hard would it be to sell him on being a top six on a team with this much offensive talent? Edmonton's not that bad a place to live...you know, if you're filthy rich and all.

That and heaps of money should take care of this.

Banned

Oilers don't need Clarkson. Guy has been awful since mid-February. It would be a huge mistake to offer heaps of money to guys like him.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Oilers don't need Clarkson. Guy has been awful since mid-February. It would be a huge mistake to offer heaps of money to guys like him.
    Can't argue his crapulance, BUT funny what a change in scenery can do for a player. The alternative is what? Draft and develop your own power forward? Ugh, waaaayyyy too much time involved in that at this point. If you have nothing in the pipeline, you've got to take on a project or two. Plus it's the owners money (who I really think is a major league douche and don't mind if he spends his money).

Hey, what about Chris Stewart Stl? Weren't the Blues giving him away for a song at the trade deadline, or was that just the media giving him away like a hookers father at the Playboy mansion? He's RFA, but I'm sure the Blues would take a reasonable draft pick in trade for a guy they probably don't want on their payroll next year.

Just spitballin'

Administrator

Clarkson for up to $4 million per improves the team enough to make it worthwhile. He adds a new dimension to the team and is the sort of hardnosed complimentary player they need.

Now, I'd love to see Hartikainen step up and fill that role but there's no saying you can't have two guys like that in the lineup. For as bad as Clarkson's numbers have been I'd argue he's been pretty snake-bitten too. Obviously this is a function of his parking in front of the net but Clarkson is fifth in the league in SOG and the Devils games I've watched this season he appears engaged and is getting chances but just can't seem to bury the biscuit. Part of that is him feeding off the brilliance of Patrick Elias but he'd be stepping into a good situation here as well. I'm a fan, I'd like to see him in the Oiler lineup.

But I'll admit the biggest appeal here is that you can get him without giving up any assets except money.

Dobber Sports Pro

A one year prove it contract could go either way for any player, but if I am a UFA, that's what I'm signing so I can hit pay dirt when the cap goes back up.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well that wraps up another massive letdown of an Oiler season.

At least they ended it by kicking the crap out of the Canucks who have by far the highest douchebag ratio on their roster in the NHL.

Also listening to Hrudey bitch about being forced to watch the Oiler games was pretty funny. I liked him a lot on Behind the Net but he's a very piss poor colour guy.

I also hope the Oilers go crazy with their celebrations next year. Fireworks, dances, maybe some strippers. I want to hear CBC whine and complain about it even more next season. The old school boys can't stand it!

Anyways, time to hope for one more miracle with the draft lottery - seeing people lose it for a 4th time would be awesome.

I hate having to cheer against the Canucks in the playoffs in the West every year - wish I could cheer FOR the Oilers.

I so badly want this team to become irritatingly good to play against. Not sure if that's going to happen any time soon though. Oh well.