Page 68 of 370 FirstFirst ... 18 58 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 78 118 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Administrator

One thing is for sure, the team has a great power play. They stick 5on5 though, my god. I don't know if its the kids not playing as well as they should or the role players just not being good enough to put the kids in a position to succeed but they just get dominated at even strength.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

How has Yakupov looked? I know he is on the 3rd line and all and saw that his ice time was only 9:05 last night. Obviously major room for improvements on his defensive game, but giving him under 10 mins a game? Yikes.
    H2H 12 Team/12 Keeper League. Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS, BS, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SO, Saves

C - Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom
    LW - Gaudreau, Parise, E. Kane, Jenner (C), Panik (RW)
    RW - MacKinnon (C), Ehlers (LW), Komorov (C), Shaw (C), Vrbata
    D - Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Gostisbehere, Gudas, Klefbom
    G- Holtby, Bishop, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy

Farm - Aho, Eriksson-Ek, Schmaltz, Kaprisov, Theodore, Zaietsev, Sorokin, Stolarz

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    One thing is for sure, the team has a great power play. They stick 5on5 though, my god. I don't know if its the kids not playing as well as they should or the role players just not being good enough to put the kids in a position to succeed but they just get dominated at even strength.
    When we have the worst 5v5 stats in the league (by a decent margin too) and are below Florida, CBJ, etc. it doesn't take much to realize that something needs to change. It's easy to blame the kids because we expect so much from them, but looking at the 5v5 scoring paints an ugly picture:

Hall - 9 points
    Gagner - 7 points
    Eberle - 6 points
    Yak - 5 points
    RNH - 4 points

Not great by any means, but...

Horcoff + Hartski + Petrell + Belanger + MPS + Eager = 5 points total.

Even when you add in Smyth that's still only 9 points between 7 players at even strength.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    When we have the worst 5v5 stats in the league (by a decent margin too) and are below Florida, CBJ, etc. it doesn't take much to realize that something needs to change. It's easy to blame the kids because we expect so much from them, but looking at the 5v5 scoring paints an ugly picture:

Hall - 9 points
    Gagner - 7 points
    Eberle - 6 points
    Yak - 5 points
    RNH - 4 points

Not great by any means, but...

Horcoff + Hartski + Petrell + Belanger + MPS + Eager = 5 points total.

Even when you add in Smyth that's still only 9 points between 7 players at even strength.
    I could understand if those numbers were goals not points. That's just dumbfounding. I still blame the D somehow. I just think if we had guys who could jump into the rush or get a shot on net or make some smart passes that everything else would open up for even the shitty energy forwards. Instead its Smid, Schultz and a bunch of assclowns.

I could understand if those numbers were goals not points. That's just dumbfounding. I still blame the D somehow. I just think if we had guys who could jump into the rush or get a shot on net or make some smart passes that everything else would open up for even the shitty energy forwards. Instead its Smid, Schultz and a bunch of assclowns.
    The sad part is twofold:

1) Fistric leads all Oilers d-men in even strength scoring despite only playing 12 games.
    2) The Oiler's d-corps have combined for 4 even strength points, which almost looks good next to our bottom 6F.

Administrator

The sad part is twofold:

1) Fistric leads all Oilers d-men in even strength scoring despite only playing 12 games.
    2) The Oiler's d-corps have combined for 4 even strength points, which almost looks good next to our bottom 6F.
    ****ing Ryan Whitney...

****ing Ryan Whitney...
    Oops, correction, 5 points. Missed that Smid had one. Petry, Whitney, Potter have combined for 0 even strength points and Fistric has as many as the two Schultz's combined.

Administrator

Oops, correction, 5 points. Missed that Smid had one. Petry, Whitney, Potter have combined for 0 even strength points and Fistric has as many as the two Schultz's combined.
    So now I hate Potter and Whitney more...

So now I hate Potter and Whitney more...
    Not sure if possible, but yes.

It's pretty bad when the top 6 is the most talked about/ragged on (not saying they don't deserve to be ragged on - they should be much better), but compared to the rest of the team they're playing like all stars (aside from goalies who have saved our ass).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Talking Yay Team!

Man, I have watched every Oiler game this year, save maybe one. I even went to the Minny game last week.

Ryan Smyth and Ben Eager gave the most effort in the game I saw live. Peckham even played pretty well considering how much time he has missed (tubby time). He was physical nearly every shift, something every Oil D except Fistric and Smid play without.

The lack of even strength scoring definitely can at least partially be attributed to the D corps(es!).

I've never liked Tambellini. I felt the same way when Doug Risebrough was brought in - bad karma (ex-Flamer and Tambo an ex-Nuck).

Now that Lindy Ruff is available, I wonder if he'd be a good fit with Edmonton and the youth movement? Sure his message got tuned out, but it took like 10 years (I can't remember how long he was the Sabres coach!).

...and while I'm at it, could we do something about the current owner, cause he drives me batty..."I'm so poor that I want the City/Province to help me build a new downtown arena or I'm going to move the team to Seattle" "My drug stores now only stock generic brands because I'm sinking sooo much money into the Oilers". I hate it when billionaires and their spoiled progeny (who look funny, but will never get picked on because they are going to a snooty private school) cry poor and try (successfully I might add) to get stuff paid for by the taxpayers, cause you know, why would we want to spend money on frivolous stuff like health care, education, etc. when we could spend that money helping a billionaire out of financial hard times. I really feel for the guy and how hard it must be to be paying $4.6M (cap hit I think) to Ryan Whitney, when he was sure it was supposed to be Ray Whitney.

Sorry, kinda went off on a little tangent. I'm good now. Go Oil!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Man, I have watched every Oiler game this year, save maybe one. I even went to the Minny game last week.

Ryan Smyth and Ben Eager gave the most effort in the game I saw live. Peckham even played pretty well considering how much time he has missed (tubby time). He was physical nearly every shift, something every Oil D except Fistric and Smid play without.

The lack of even strength scoring definitely can at least partially be attributed to the D corps(es!).

I've never liked Tambellini. I felt the same way when Doug Risebrough was brought in - bad karma (ex-Flamer and Tambo an ex-Nuck).

Now that Lindy Ruff is available, I wonder if he'd be a good fit with Edmonton and the youth movement? Sure his message got tuned out, but it took like 10 years (I can't remember how long he was the Sabres coach!).

...and while I'm at it, could we do something about the current owner, cause he drives me batty..."I'm so poor that I want the City/Province to help me build a new downtown arena or I'm going to move the team to Seattle" "My drug stores now only stock generic brands because I'm sinking sooo much money into the Oilers". I hate it when billionaires and their spoiled progeny (who look funny, but will never get picked on because they are going to a snooty private school) cry poor and try (successfully I might add) to get stuff paid for by the taxpayers, cause you know, why would we want to spend money on frivolous stuff like health care, education, etc. when we could spend that money helping a billionaire out of financial hard times. I really feel for the guy and how hard it must be to be paying $4.6M (cap hit I think) to Ryan Whitney, when he was sure it was supposed to be Ray Whitney.

Sorry, kinda went off on a little tangent. I'm good now. Go Oil!
    Man, you were at that Minny game too? Brutal game.

I think Krueger has done poorly but don't think Ruff will do any better - history has shown he's not the most young-star friendly.

Administrator

Man, you were at that Minny game too? Brutal game.

I think Krueger has done poorly but don't think Ruff will do any better - history has shown he's not the most young-star friendly.
    I honestly don't know that it's the coach. I mean, there's only so much you can do with a roster that is weak as shit up the middle and piss poor on defence. Frankly, I think the staff is doing a hell of a job considering. Now, are they necessarily doing their jobs from a player development standpoint, ie. teaching these young ****s to win faceoffs, well I don't know about that but in terms of strategies they aren't doing a terrible job. Just look at what they've done with the special teams. They've got the 7th best power play and 4th best penalty kill. Clearly there's some coaching taking place here and that's even acknowledging that the biggest reason the PK has been so strong has been the goaltending.

I honestly don't know that it's the coach. I mean, there's only so much you can do with a roster that is weak as shit up the middle and piss poor on defence. Frankly, I think the staff is doing a hell of a job considering. Now, are they necessarily doing their jobs from a player development standpoint, ie. teaching these young ****s to win faceoffs, well I don't know about that but in terms of strategies they aren't doing a terrible job. Just look at what they've done with the special teams. They've got the 7th best power play and 4th best penalty kill. Clearly there's some coaching taking place here and that's even acknowledging that the biggest reason the PK has been so strong has been the goaltending.
    That's the special team coaches though, not really Krueger...

I don't want to throw him under the bus or anything but...

For starters, he keeps benching Paajarvi. I've been pretty hard on Paajarvi over the years but he's among the top Oilers in shot differential and is #1 in GA/60. It's hard to say that he hasn't been an effective player. He also is among the top in CorsiRel and CorsiQoC. To be fair, he has been playing a good number of shifts with Hemsky/Gagner as of late, and that's definitely a start.

Choosing Potter/Whitney over Fistric, etc.

He's been playing Yakupov with Belanger and Smyth the past few games, not to mention he received 5:24 in EV ice time last game vs CHI. That's just ridiculous. It's a small sample size, but Yakupov has scored 4 points in the 6 games that he's played 15+ minutes... if you expand that to the game he played 14:48, that's 5 points in 7 games. Yakupov played 19+ shifts in 11 games this season and during those games he recorded 8 points; in the 7 games he played less than 19 shifts he had 3 points.

So 15+ minutes = 0.67 ppg
    19+ shifts = 0.73 ppg
    <15 minutes = 0.58 ppg
    <19 shifts = 0.43 ppg

Yea, he's pretty terrible defensively but I'd still like to see him get some icetime over the likes of Smyth, etc.

It could be complete fluke based on the small sample size but the Oilers have 7 points out of a possible 12 (0.583) in games when Yakupov has scored a goal. In games he hasn't scored, the Oilers have managed 11 points out of a possible 24 (0.458).

I'd love to see the Oilers shake the lines up too.
    Last edited by dyzfunctioned; February 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Administrator

That's the special team coaches though, not really Krueger...
    Yeah but Krueger was the special teams coach prior to taking over as the head man so I'd maintain anything that's going on in that regard is under his directive.

And Paajarvi is getting benched again. I can't stand this team sometimes. He's literally been one of our best players over the past several games.