Page 60 of 370 FirstFirst ... 10 50 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 70 110 160 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This season I'm not saying definite about anything. Remember the house of cards that was the Minnesota Wild at mid-season last year?
    In a 48-game season, I'm not saying anything with any kind of confidence. Kings weren't even in playoff contention last year 48 games in and they won the cup.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I like to eat waffles, but not talk that way. Oilers are making the playoffs for sure and the TSN bobbleheads will be talking about how we should have expected it at the start of the season.

On an unrelated note... from what I've heard, Petry has been bumped to the bottom pairing. Thoughts on this?

I thought the Smid - Petry pairing was one of the sole bright spots of last season. I'd rather see Whitney bring up the bottom pairing until he's shown he can return to form.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Here was last season's opening night lineup:

Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
    Ryan Smyth - Shawn Horcoff - Ryan Jones
    Magnus Paajarvi - Eric Belanger - Linus Omark
    Darcy Hordichuk - Anton Lander - Lennart Petrel
    l
    Ladislav Smid - Tom Gilbert
    Andy Sutton - Corey Potter
    Cam Barker - Theo Peckham

Devan Dubnyk
    Nikolai Khabibulin

And now a potential lineup for this season:

Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jordan Eberle (a year older and developed chemistry in the AHL already)

Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky (offensively a huge upgrade on last year's second line. Defensively weaker and will need to get the easy matchups - but could tear teams apart if they do)

Smyth - Horcoff - Hartikainen (Basically the same as last year's SECOND line, but with Harti in and Jones out. Pretty much a wash, but due to less minutes played hopefully Horcoff/Smyth can be much more effective for longer)

Eager - Belanger - Petrell (It's the fourth line ... meh)
    Hordichuk

Petry - Smid (Is Petry on the same level as Gilbert? Probably not quite yet I would say. This "top" pairing is a step back slightly from the top pairing of last season)

Nick Schultz - Justin Schultz (Light years ahead of Sutton and Potter)

Whitney - Fistric (If Whitney is healthy this is disgustingly better tha last year's third pairing. If he is the same as last season then it is still better, but just not by the same vast gap of awesomeness)

Peckham
    Potter

Dubnyk (Another year of development and a better defense in front of him - he's ready for the next step)
    Danis

Looking at these two opening night rosters shows how much more reliable, both defensively and offensively, the Oiler blueline is, and how much more depth the forwards have.

This is going to be awesome. Full on homer mode engaged. NHL fanbases should be prepared to hate the Oilers starting this year (and for the right reasons, not because of Tambellini's smirk...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    On an unrelated note... from what I've heard, Petry has been bumped to the bottom pairing. Thoughts on this?

I thought the Smid - Petry pairing was one of the sole bright spots of last season. I'd rather see Whitney bring up the bottom pairing until he's shown he can return to form.
    I didn't know that. What are the projected blueline pairings supposed to be then? Petry can use some work on is defense still, but I thought he was just getting better and better as the season went on.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post

I thought Smid-Gilbert pairing was one of the sole bright sports of last season but Tambo thought differently.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I didn't know that. What are the projected blueline pairings supposed to be then? Petry can use some work on is defense still, but I thought he was just getting better and better as the season went on.
    I can't remember where I read it so I can't provide a link, but it was:

Smid - Whitney
    Schultz - Schultz
    Petry - Fistric

Dobber Sports Ninja

Canucks down. Bring on the Sharks. Hemsky looks rejuvenated and once Yakupov gets his baby deer legs worked out in a few games watch out. That "second line" is going to bleed goals and score them too!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Losing 6-1 after the first period of the home opener. Hopefully this utterly embarassing performance wakes the kids up and they realize they need to play actual NHL hockey every second of the game.

Wow.

Dobber Sports Monster

Losing 6-1 after the first period of the home opener. Hopefully this utterly embarassing performance wakes the kids up and they realize they need to play actual NHL hockey every second of the game.

Wow.
    How do you allow 6 goals in your home opener in 1st period. Awesome performance for the fans....simply awesome. Sad.

Banned

Wow.
    I was going to joke about them, but this happened to my Sens last year at the beginning of the year so I wouldn't count them out. But i still think the Oilers have no D or G. I see them trading for Ben Bishop or somebody of that ilk soon enough.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Now I've seen some teams suck before, but those were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

The Oilers were probably been reading all the media hype around them while forgetting that they still have to go prove it. On the positive side, hopefully that performance was an early season wake up call that they still have a lot of work to do.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Joke of the league. Pathetic. Are they ever going to get their act together?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

By the way, the sooner announcers stop butchering Yakupov's name, the better. It's not YEAH-kuh-pov. It's Yah-KOO-pov. And it's Na-EEL, not something you use hammers on.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    Now I've seen some teams suck before, but those were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

The Oilers were probably been reading all the media hype around them while forgetting that they still have to go prove it. On the positive side, hopefully that performance was an early season wake up call that they still have a lot of work to do.
    Yeah I think that was a big part of the problem. One of the worst Oiler periods in the last few years, but I'm not too worried yet.