Page 4 of 370 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Pro

Dec 9th Update from practice today:

The call-ups Omark and O'Marra practiced with the team today and the lines looked like this;

Hall - Gagner - Eberle -- LOVE this line can't wait to see what they can do against a shotty defensive team like Tampa.

Penner - Cogliano - Paajarvi -- Interesting mix of speed and size here, if Penner continues to play inspired hockey they'll be an effective trio. Remember MPS had a hat-trick vs Dan Ellis and the Bolts in exhibition

Omark-O'Marra-Jones -- No surprise seeing the line-mates from Oklahoma stay together, Omark praised O'Marra's 2 way play. Don't get discouraged Omark owners, Jones has been great of late and has shown a scoring touch.

Jacques - Fraser - Brule -- Not much to explain here, Brule was bad last game so he's the odd man out.

I expect the top 2 lines to get the majority of the PP time, but Renney isnt afraid to give a 3rd liner a chance if the PP isn't clicking early or if they earn it with good 5 on 5 play.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

That top line is interesting but I'm a bit frightened by what the high powered offense of Tampa might do back to them. Having Gagner taking draws for this line isn't going to do the kids any favors either. It's not like Horcoff was killing it on draws this year but he's in another class compared to Gagner in that respect.

The second line is also interesting. Big opportunity for Paajarvi to get something going with Hemsky out. Could definitely see Brule work his way back onto this line at the expense of Paajarvi though. To date Brule has shown much more consistent jump and tenacity than Paajarvi and I think that's a good fit with Penner and Cogs.

Third line just makes sense. As you said, keep the AHL linemates together. Jones looks like a decent fit. I think he can really play with anyone. He's not going to give you anything outstanding on offense but he brings it as a glue guy. Throw him out there with these guys and hope he inspires with his effort.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yep, Gagner confirmed to centre top line:

"Sam Gagner will center Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle when the Oilers take on the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday.

Gagner will replace the injured Shawn Horcoff between the talented rookies, although Gagner is only a year older than Eberle and two years older than Hall. This is Gagner's fourth season in the NHL and he is finally starting to break out as he has seven points including three goals in his last six games. Perhaps this is the Oilers top line of the future and if it is, it's going to be a great one. Dec. 9 - 9:55 am et
    Source: Edmonton Journal "

And, el capitan doesn't need surgery

"Shawn Horcoff had his MRI on Wednesday and does not need surgery on his injured knee.

Horcoff will still require a couple of months of physiotherapy before he will be able to return to the lineup and that is not including any possible setback. Sam Gagner now has the starting gig centering the top line and if he is able to run with it, Horcoff will move down the depth charts upon his return. Dec. 10 - 7:49 am et
    Source: Edmonton Sun"
    12 Team H2H Semi Keeper

Scoring - G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, +/-, FW, SOG, BLK, HIT
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO

C - McDavid, Galchenyuk, E. Staal
    LW - Ovechkin, Fabbri, Perron
    RW - Toffoli, Donskoi, Yakupov, Parenteau, Okposo, Niederreiter
    D - Hedman, Barrie, Klefbom, Bealieu, Lindholm
    G - Schneider, Allen, Anderson

Dobber Sports Pro

Look for Sam Gagner to also get an "A" on his jersey for tonight's game. He sounded very excited at the idea, and he's earned it with his play of late and his willingness to battle considering he's a small young guy.

Not sure if they'll go with 3 A's or give the temporary Captain to Ryan Whitney, who would be very deserving. Either way Gagner, Whitney and Gilbert will rock the letters with Horc and Hemmer out.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Oilers 24/7

Lot of talk about the Caps/Pens 24/7 series, but the Oilers have been doing this since the draft with their "Oil Change" documentary.
    All the videos are free on the Oilers site;
    http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=65827

The pilot episode aired in the summer and covered the Taylor vs Tyler saga and the rest of the off-season.
    2nd episode covers training camp.
    3rd episode just aired a couple weeks ago and covers the first quarter of the NHL season.

A lot of interesting behind the scenes footage.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hall started at first line center tonight between Hemsky and Penner. I don't know his background or whether he's played center before, but if he were able to develop chemistry with Hemsky they could certainly do some damage.
    12 Team H2H Semi Keeper

Scoring - G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, +/-, FW, SOG, BLK, HIT
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO

C - McDavid, Galchenyuk, E. Staal
    LW - Ovechkin, Fabbri, Perron
    RW - Toffoli, Donskoi, Yakupov, Parenteau, Okposo, Niederreiter
    D - Hedman, Barrie, Klefbom, Bealieu, Lindholm
    G - Schneider, Allen, Anderson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

NJD needs to stop sucking so much so we can get Larsson =/

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I just read this stat on twitter from Michael Russo

Oilers' power play now 0 for last 44, 0 for 6 tonight. Wild needs to escape this period

Dobber Sports Guru

Thoughts on Dubnyk for next year?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

Donions, I have to ask... and really any other Oilers fans out there. Do you think either Hemsky or Penner should be moved?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    NJD needs to stop sucking so much so we can get Larsson =/

Wish apparently granted, Dyz. Can you please wish for all the Canucks D to have a quick recovery and stay healthy until July?

As for your question MD, about Penner & Hemsky - the only way I see either being worth trading is if they get a potential top 2 D-man back (Bogosian please-I know it's been beat to death, but a guy can dream). Aside from his injury history, I actually prefer Hemsky over Penner and would rather see Dustin moved. I think Ales is more loyal and is a better influence for the young guns than Penner, who I think is a buffet away from returning to losing worth as a top 6 player.

I don't know all the inner workings of the Oil though so perhaps I'm off base, but that's how I see it from what I've read & heard in different interviews over the past few years.
    Last edited by MoreCanadianTeams; February 19, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Donions, I have to ask... and really any other Oilers fans out there. Do you think either Hemsky or Penner should be moved?
    Ive been torn on this subject all season long. Im a huge Hemsky fan, he's given a lot to this team and he's 1 of the few star caliber players the Oilers have drafted and developed themselves in the last...hmmm 20 years? I remember an interview from 2 seasons ago where Hemsky adamantly stated he wanted to be here, and wanted to be a leader, I still think he feels that way and this team needs proven vets like Hemmer and Horc to guide the young pups. I also cant help but salivate at the potential of a Hemsky Hall duo.

As for Penner...I'm kinda sick of him, he's too inconsistent, and I cant stand seeing him skate past guys instead of finishing a check, please DP just once, throw 1 hit. PLEASE!
    There's also been questions about Penner's character and whether a guy with his mediocre work ethic is the type of guy you want leading your youth, but that's kinda hearsay so who knows. At his worst he's a 20goal man and you just cant find top 6 forwards with his size.

I value Hemsky higher then Penner, but I dont think it'd be that substantial to NHL GM's, considering Penner's playoff experience and the size he brings to your lineup, I think just as many GMs will inquire about Penner and I would trade him in a heartbeat if it lands us a top 10 pick, or a top 20 pick and a good prospect/player. To move Hemsky it has to be the perfect offer, Bogosian comes too mind.

I hear everyday that Tambelinni shouldnt feel any pressure to deal 1 of these guys because they are signed thru next season, but I disagree; the key to any rebuild is steady progression, and a big part of that progress will be giving larger responsibility to Hall, Eberle, MPS and to a lesser extent Omark. So let's move DP(assuming the offer is fair) and see what the kids can do next year in an even larger role.

ps. I need to bring this thread back to life, until I acquired Hemsky and Hall in my pool I wasnt watching a lot of Oiler games but thats changed lately.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Thoughts on Dubnyk for next year?
    Sorry Stone didnt even see this til today!

Im really impressed by Dubnyks progression this season and i think we'll see a clean 50/50split next year with him and Khabi. I asked resident goalie expert Justin Goldman about Dubnyk a few weeks back and he provided a detailed answer.
    Ill paste his response in italics for those interested.

Quote:Originally Posted by donions
    "Have you had a chance to check out much of Devan Dubnyk this year? Thoughts on him down the stretch and the future?
    I was never really sold on him as the Oilers future #1, but he's made a believer out of me with his strong play. By all accounts he's a great kid and teammate as well and the it shows on the ice, the team always plays stronger with Dubnyk in net."

I was in the same boat as you. The end of last season he just clearly wasn't ready to handle an NHL job, not even as a backup. But a strong off-season of training and plenty of potential has allowed him to really improve this season. As much as I defended Jeff Deslauriers, I never discredited Dubnyk's combination of size, speed and skill...I just thought it would have taken him a lot longer to evolve to where he is right now.

Some goalies develop quicker than others. Although there's no statistical evidence to back this up, it often takes "bigger" goalies longer to develop because they have to grow into their bodies and learn how to stay balanced as the speed and pace of games increase around them. It's not as hard for smaller goalies to stay balanced because they simply don't carry around as much weight. For the smaller goalies, it's more about angles and positioning.

Dubnyk is big. He's quick. He's young. He has a solid foundation of fundamentals. I wouldn't be surprised if he played 65-70% of the games down the stretch for the Oilers and have close or slightly above a .920 save percentage.

One thing I've noticed from the handful of games I've watched him play in the past few weeks is that he's managing his energy better. Early in the season he was expelling a ton of energy early and seemed to lose that focus or intensity by the third period. Now he's looking much more consistent with his levels of energy throughout a full 60-minute game. This is just something that develops over time and through experience, so it's a good sign for sure.

Dubnyk is a good goalie for sure and does have solid upside. He still has a lot of work to do, and he'll need to continue to prove himself through this season if he wants to fight Khabibulin for the starting job next season. I do think the two make a great tandem, as Khabby makes a good (on-ice) mentor. And yes, like you said, Dubnyk is a good kid that works hard. It reminds me of the attitude I see on a daily basis here in Colorado with Peter Budaj. Just happy to be in the NHL and never fails to bring the effort in every game and practice. Always upbeat and willing to take on whatever role is needed of him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    i have been thinking at times during the year that we should dump these guys and then at other times hoping we can hold on to them. i read an article the other day and they brought up a really good point stating that you dont wanna put your selfs in the situation of a constant rebuild aka Atlanta thrashers/Columbus bluejackets. i do think both teams are slowly turning it around but it seems like they have been doing that since they entered the league.

after remembering watching game 6 live against Detroit in the 06 playoffs i think hemsky is a guy that would be a key for the rebuilding process. yes he is only gonna play 60 games a year, but when he is playing hes an elite force out there and he has game changing capabilities.

penner is a guy that absolutely drives me nuts watching him play at times. its like listening to nails on a chalk board. at times im ripping out my hair and cant believe a guy like that can be in the nhl and then he goes and score 2 goals. a guy with his size and knack for scoring goals is hard to come by in the nhl. the one thing the young oilers dont have is alot of size and muscle. i have seen countless battles this year where the oilers could of scored in front of the net if only they could of been stronger on their sticks.

i believe tambi will make the right decision. i like his approach to this by saying yes we will listen to offers but were not giving up these guys for a couple of picks. if the right offer comes along i would be willing to give up both but like mentioned above we need a stud dman or goalie. if LA is going include bernier then im all ears.

at some point we are going to have to stop stockpiling draft picks and prospects and start supporting ebs and hallsy to give them a chance to succeed and win.

maybe they could steal a guy like bogo and then we can go and safely draft courtier for one of the sickest lines in the show or have a 1-2 punch of larsson and bogo which would be scary back there
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If we can get a proper return, I'd be up for moving Penner or Hemsky. I like Hemsky more than Penner by quite a bit, but god we don't have any other big bodies.

But regardless we've got Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Penner, Paajarvi, Omark, (Horcoff, Brule, Cogliano).

Someones gotta go at some point... last 3 don't deserve a top 6 spot but Cogs and Brule were drafted as one and Horcoff's contract lands him there.

I wouldn't mind us shipping one out for a top 10 pick and either drafting Couturier/Murphy or Hamilton or Larsson and Strome.

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Omark
    Cogliano/Penner-Horcoff-Brule/Hemsky

So if we keep both Penner and Hemsky, who moves? Can't get much for Cogs or Brule and not sure we can fit a top 9 like that in the future if we keep both...