Page 33 of 370 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    What talent? Beyond the big 3 there isnt many guys earning their keep longterm.
    Exemptions for Jones and Smid.

Fair point tho. We're gonna be a cap team again real soon, we better have something to show for it eventually.
    Well once Hall, RNH, and Eberle's ELC's expire that'll be anywhere from $15-$20M gone.

Assuming cap doesn't increase exponentially, that's going to be at least 25% of our total cap. Horcoff being impossible to trade makes that $20-$25M and thus 35-40% of our cap... That leaves around $2M per roster player to fill out the roster and that's not factoring in the large raise Smid will likely get, etc, etc...

And as far as our talent I was referring to if we landed first overall again this year or whatever... we'd be like Atlanta all over again with Kovalchuk, Heatley, Hossa, etc. and unable to keep them.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Well once Hall, RNH, and Eberle's ELC's expire that'll be anywhere from $15-$20M gone.

Assuming cap doesn't increase exponentially, that's going to be at least 25% of our total cap. Horcoff being impossible to trade makes that $20-$25M and thus 35-40% of our cap... That leaves around $2M per roster player to fill out the roster and that's not factoring in the large raise Smid will likely get, etc, etc...

And as far as our talent I was referring to if we landed first overall again this year or whatever... we'd be like Atlanta all over again with Kovalchuk, Heatley, Hossa, etc. and unable to keep them.
    But they only ever had two of those guys at any given time. Heatley was traded for Hossa.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    But they only ever had two of those guys at any given time. Heatley was traded for Hossa.
    Yea, that's true. But thing is they were stars in a losing environment and they got out once they got a chance (well Kovy stayed for a bit).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Yea, that's true. But thing is they were stars in a losing environment and they got out once they got a chance (well Kovy stayed for a bit).
    Yeah, but it was also a losing environment without fans.

Yeah, but it was also a losing environment without fans.
    No arguing that one.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Rumours bubbling that Tambellini is on the verge of a 4 year extension. Pure insanity if true.

I'll be holding to my word to give this team through to the end of the next season to see if there is hope on the horizon, but the prospects of the Oiler franchise being anything other than a joke and an embarassment any time soon are dimming by the day.

I am all in favour of making the lottery in the draft become much less in favour of the team in dead last - something like all of the top 5 get an equal 20% chance of getting the top pick. I feel nothing but pity for the young guys dying on the ice right now while guys like Horcoff make wads of cash and basically contribute 4th line value to the team.

Dobber Sports Ace

After watching the last 4 games I have really been impressed with Doobie. I think the guy can be good enough to give this team a good push. He has the consistency to be a number 1 IMO. He always seems to be there when we need him and he gives us a chance to win every night. I feel that goaltending is starting to look like a non issue at this point. It wouldnt hurt to have a guy like Rask, Bernier or Scheinder but who wouldnt want one of them.

Peckham on the other hand is a guy that shouldnt be in the NHL at all. Every time i see him he single handily gives the opposing team chances. He is a big reason why IMO this defence is this bad. He cant make a pass and he is always out of position from going for the big hit.

Also Whitney is slowly looking better and better. Sure he still doesnt look like a top pairing guy but I think he could turn out to be a decent 2nd paring guy with a guy like Smid.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat Danglers View Post
    After watching the last 4 games I have really been impressed with Doobie. I think the guy can be good enough to give this team a good push. He has the consistency to be a number 1 IMO. He always seems to be there when we need him and he gives us a chance to win every night. I feel that goaltending is starting to look like a non issue at this point. It wouldnt hurt to have a guy like Rask, Bernier or Scheinder but who wouldnt want one of them.

Peckham on the other hand is a guy that shouldnt be in the NHL at all. Every time i see him he single handily gives the opposing team chances. He is a big reason why IMO this defence is this bad. He cant make a pass and he is always out of position from going for the big hit.

Also Whitney is slowly looking better and better. Sure he still doesnt look like a top pairing guy but I think he could turn out to be a decent 2nd paring guy with a guy like Smid.
    I haven't felt like goaltending has been an issue all season. Dubnyk didn't have a great start but has turned it on of late and Khabibulin was solid all year although he did cool off after that wicked October he posted.

I maintain that injuries are what did the team in. I really did not start seeing a lack of competitiveness until everyone went down. Maybe the wins weren't there but they were playing a competitive game.

The big key for me and this is where having more veterans would help, is performing better on the road. This team simply does not know how to compete on the road. That is symptomatic of a young team but it is something that must be improved.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Taylor Hall looked awful last night. He got a goal, but aside from that he was really reallt struggling all over the ice, but particularly in the defensive zone. Thankfully games like that are rare, and even still he got the GWG.

It's still painfully clear how badly the team needs defensemen who can get the puck up to the forwards with crisp passes on a regular basis though. After watching the Hawks/Canucks last night, you can see how incredibly freeing it is for their forwards when they can exit their own zone with speed and let the creative offensive players spend time doing what they are good at instead of constantly having to fight for pucks along the boards in their own zone for long periods of time.

On a somewhat similar note I thought this article posted yesterday had some intriguing (though difficult to interpret) points regarding defensemen and how they affect forwards (in this case RNH).

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/1/31...nugent-hopkins

This team needs to find themselves a new Whitney who can do what he was doing last year. The fact that Oiler fans are celebrating Sutton's play is sort of sad.

Would be great to have a team where the name Theo Peckham (at least the one we see this year) was not mentioned.

Gilbert - Smid were looking great this season.

Potter has been fine but should be a third pairing guy

Whitney ... no idea. Great passer still, but can't skate any more.

Dobber Sports Ace

It will be interesting to see how Eberle finishes the year off. You can really tell D's are focusing in on him and not giving him any space at all. He's such a smart and good player though I dont think we should see a drop off that is too significant. He is so smart with the puck and hardly turns it over.

Nice to see Barker back and having issues pivoting in his own zone.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ninja

Only RNH and Gilbert to return and when the team keeps losing games I wonder if everyone will still say it's injuries.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Only RNH and Gilbert to return and when the team keeps losing games I wonder if everyone will still say it's injuries.
    One- both of those players have been really significant pieces to our team all year. Nuge was leading the team in pts for a large chunk of the season and Gilbert although isnt a number 1 guy but was easily playing as the best dman on the team
    two- are you a closet flames fan, ur posts lately have been very negative surrounding Oilers related things. I realize that there isnt a lot to smile about but Im still proud to wear and support my team no matter what the end result is

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nah I'm an Oiler fan but a really tired one.

Looks like Smid might be injured now. Perfect timing...hahaha.

Administrator

Don't look now but Smid just left the game. The excuses continue!!!

Also, how about that breakout pass by Gagner. Think he could play defense? That would solve so many problems.

Dobber Sports Ace

Don't look now but Smid just left the game. The excuses continue!!!

Also, how about that breakout pass by Gagner. Think he could play defense? That would solve so many problems.
    Ha I was thinking the exact same thing, which Dman was that, oh maybe Gags could play d for us, he can pass so he would look decent with Sutton

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted: