Page 24 of 370 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Not sure if it's true or not but the team results certainly point to some sort of trend there.

On another note I snagged this picture from the following article:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...lousy-defence/

Last game was the first time this year I turned the game off in disgust, and that seems to be a pretty clear example of why.
    Ugggg, glad I didn't watch that game, heard it was something awful. Nice screen cap.

Administrator

Not sure if it's true or not but the team results certainly point to some sort of trend there.

On another note I snagged this picture from the following article:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...lousy-defence/

Last game was the first time this year I turned the game off in disgust, and that seems to be a pretty clear example of why.
    Okay seriously, that looks like one of those time elapsed snapshots where it shows a single player's progression over several short intervals, and then you look at the numbers, it's not one guy, it's all five! BAHAHAHA! Oh man, all this success so far has not yet ruined my disillusionment with this team. They can still suck something awful and I can just shake my head and laugh.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Okay seriously, that looks like one of those time elapsed snapshots where it shows a single player's progression over several short intervals,
    I thought the exact same thing when I looked at!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

And what's worse is that those 5 players are the longest serving Oilers on the team (Continuously...Smyth doesn't count).

The veterans.

The guys who should know better.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't know how many times I've said this but I LOVE RNH.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    +1 to this, kid is phenomenal.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Christmas party tonight so missed the game. Might try and catch the replay of it if I can find one. Another 3 points for RNH - are you kidding me?

Christmas party tonight so missed the game. Might try and catch the replay of it if I can find one. Another 3 points for RNH - are you kidding me?
    2 of the goals came from RNH just laying sick cross-ice saucer passes, one even went through Gagner's legs to Eberle.

Administrator

I almost want to take back all the shit I talked about Gagner over the last two years... almost.

Oilers blow lately, that is all.

Oh, but Eberle and the Nuge still rule.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah that about sums it up. Team is looking more Islanders than Blackhawks. It really sucks.

Administrator

Same old story for this team. Still looking for depth on the blueline and some better grinders. And really just consistency. The disparity between their play at home and on the road is almost hilarious.

Dobber Sports Pro

What the H is Horcoff still doing on that #1 PP. It's so ridiculous. 3 of the highest skilled players in the league and they involve Hands of Stone Horc.
    I'm 1 of Horcoff's few fans left I imagine, but he simply doesnt belong on the PP, same goes for Belanger. Yet Renney keeps going back to that well over and over.

Smyth, Jones, Hemsky or using 2 dmen sound like much better options to me. The play dies on Horc's stick far too often.

Anyways, had to get that out......yeah we kinda do suck these days eh. Khabi isn't stealing us games, the D's too thin after Smid-Gilbert...but damn those kids are good.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    What the H is Horcoff still doing on that #1 PP. It's so ridiculous. 3 of the highest skilled players in the league and they involve Hands of Stone Horc.
    I'm 1 of Horcoff's few fans left I imagine, but he simply doesnt belong on the PP, same goes for Belanger. Yet Renney keeps going back to that well over and over.

Smyth, Jones, Hemsky or using 2 dmen sound like much better options to me. The play dies on Horc's stick far too often.

Anyways, had to get that out......yeah we kinda do suck these days eh. Khabi isn't stealing us games, the D's too thin after Smid-Gilbert...but damn those kids are good.
    The rationale for throwing Horcoff out there is pretty clear. The Nuge sucks something awful in the faceoff circle and Horcoff is easily the best on the team. His percentage sucks but that's only because he takes virtually every draw. He's also the "net presence" on the power play. He is not perfect for the job but he also isn't the worst.

I would be all for trying Gagner in that role since he is better than the Nuge when it comes to draws. He's actually ripping a solid 50% on faceoffs this year. The problem is he is not as strong as Horcoff making it tougher to win those battles in front of the net.

The Oilers need a faceoff man on the power play though. They are excellent at playing the puck possession game but gaining the zone can be a chore. Gaining possession in the offensive zone off the draw is key to the success of the power play.

That is actually one of the main reasons the Oilers power play is so much better at home. Teams are simply more likely to get the benefit of the doubt on draws at home so the Oilers get much more zone possession.

In a perfect world, I'd say throw Smyth out there to take draws with the kids. He's played that sort of role before and I think he would be good at it. That way you could bump Horcoff down to line two but really, the power play is not the issue for the Oilers. They have the best power play in the league on home ice and are tied for third best in the league overall.

Complaining about the players used on the Oilers power play is like complaining the your girlfriend is wearing too skimpy of clothing. No, sorry, that is not the real issue. You like her because of the skimpy clothing. You asked her out because of the skimpy clothing. The fact that she's a whore is the real problem. The fact that she makes you pay for it is the real problem. Leave her outfits alone. She looks damn good in them.

Dobber Sports Pro

I know i'm nit-picking. It just infuriates me watching the PP lose possession every-time Horcoff's touches it, cause they look so dangerous right up til that point. It'd be great if Horc would just park in front of the net, and stay there. And I mean really stay there, if you're at the hash-marks, you're close enough to the bench to just get off!(half-kidding)

Ultimately it's way down the list of problems.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer