Page 21 of 370 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Administrator

Big reason the kids aren't flying and the offense is looking sluggish is the lack of home ice and the last change. Not only is Renney matching lines like crazy but he's also giving the kids almost exclusively offensive zone starts. The Kid Line is right up there with the most offensive zone starts in the league. You cannot abuse the matchups and work the offensive zones nearly as well without the advantage of last change. That's forced Renney to give his other lines bigger minutes. The important thing is everyone has bought in and they are scraping out wins regardless. Seriously, who knew Gilbert could play half decent hockey. He still makes me cringe but he and the rest of the crew have bought in to defensive hockey.

Eventually though, something will have to give. Renney cannot keep sheltering the kids. They need more responsibility. It's hard to change up your strategy when you are trying to win games but allowing the kids more responsibility gets them learning and gets them more involved. I know the winning is awesome but this season is still about growth. Are the kids growing right now?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Players who are Oiler regulars who did not play the final 25% (or more) of the regular season last year.

Hall, Hopkins, Horcoff, Smyth, Hemsky, Gagner, Belanger, Eager, Lander, Hordichuk, Petrell, Barker, Whitney, and Potter

Is it any wonder this looks like an entirely different team when in fact ... it is.

Dobber Sports Genius

I haven't watched hardly any games, but the issue here is that the young guns aren't getting put into enough situations outside of offensive zone draws?

Hopefully the boys get some work and are eased into more responsibility to help them grow while still maintain this kind of winning that was unforeseen.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Ace

That was absolutly brutal last night. The Oil could generate anything all night for an extended period of time. The Red Wings skill really came through last night. I dont even remember one Oiler that really stood out on having a good game. I hope this isnt a sign of things to come because if we continue to play like that were going fall down the standings fast. I think it was very apparent last night that our d is still not gonna cut it right now. I also would like to see a fire lit under MP and Gags. Were gonna have trouble winning games if we cant get solid secondary scoring from those guys.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Pro

I didnt think we were that bad last night. Before the Wings got that lucky bounce in front off the turnover that ended up in our net, the Oilers were carrying the play and out-skating Detroit. They had some chances and the PP looked dangerous but they didnt get any of those bounces Boston and Detroit have gotten.

Not saying the Oilers deserved to win either of the last 2; but vs. Boston, take away the Eager turnover in his own end, and the Hemsky turnover on the line change, and you steal that game. That doesn't even include Potter kicking it into his own net.

Losing competitive games in Boston and Detroit on b2b nights is no reason to worry.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

Im not worried just yet, but I do think we are going need our defence to play better and some secondary scoring. The kids arent gonna be scoring 3 goals every game and we cant expect smitty to keep up this crazy pace. If were gonna continue to fight for a playoff spot this year guys like gags is gonna have to get going sometime soon.

I think today should be an excellent test for the young Oilers. The Hawks are proving right now they are one of the best teams in the NHL and their gonna throw everything they can at Khabby. If we win and finish out this road trip at 500 I would be extremely excited.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Sick goal by Eberle

...followed by a goal by Keith =/

Dobber Sports Ace

I watched the first 2 periods last night and it was frustrating to say the least. This was a tough road trip. Montreal was the only team we played under 500. I think they could of won last night but the defence was letting the Hawks do whatever they wanted. I think its a good lesson for this team and it shows them what its gonna take for them to become an elite team. A couple bounces in all 3 of the last games and they could of been different stories. It will be an interesting rematch next Saturday. Hopefully the Oilers come out flying against the Hawks at home and try to give them some payback.

Eberle looked sick and had a great first 2 periods compared to where I thought he was fighting the puck a little bit on the road trip

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Won't be seeing Omark anytime soon:

http://twitter.com/#!/AHLBarons/stat...80972446199808
    Linus Omark out six weeks with a broken ankle. Omark suffered the injury on Wednesday night in Rockford.

Administrator

Injuries are starting to mount. Finished the game with only four D last night!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Four straight losses, blueline in shambles...

Starting to feel like the good ol' Oilers.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah it's pretty much standard Oiler hockey again.

Looks like a complete line shakeup on the way though.

Smyth-RNH-Eberle
    Hall-Horcoff-Jones
    MPS-Gagner-Hemsky
    Hordichuk-Belanger-Petrell

With Lander and Gagner swapping in/out and Eager/Hordichuk swapping in/out

Teubert and Chorney called up today, so the defense is going to be BRUTAL.

Banned

please don't think I'm trolling or bashing Oilers for no reason, I'm just here to offer a thought on Hall. Right now he is playing as dumb as a post out there. His impact was so little in last night's game. Everytime he rushed the puck, it was taken away from him.

I honestly think he should be scratched for a game to get him going.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    please don't think I'm trolling or bashing Oilers for no reason, I'm just here to offer a thought on Hall. Right now he is playing as dumb as a post out there. His impact was so little in last night's game. Everytime he rushed the puck, it was taken away from him.

I honestly think he should be scratched for a game to get him going.
    Guys have learned how to play his whole "Oh look he's going wide," deal and he's going to need to learn how to adjust. Has probably the highest compete level on the team and physically gifted, but lower hockey IQ than a few others so will maybe take him longer to figure it out.