Page 172 of 370 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 182 222 272 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Well, its 1130pm here. Heading to bed after whats been a pretty exciting Draft Day. better than most of the trade deadline days in recent memory.

Hoping to wake up tomorrow to find out Edmonton has traded for Tuukka Rask for next to nothing. One can only hope.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Things have changed in Edmonton, and maybe Dubynk is on his way back.

On to the Reinhart trade, could the Oilers pick any one at 16 or 33 with the potential to prove they are close to NHL ready.

Not a chance, Reinhart was taken 4th overall in 2012 ( weak draft I know) and its common knowledge D man and G can usually take years to develop into NHL calibre players. Reinhart still has a lot of time before he is considered a bust.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Deity

I love watching Chiarelli trade the picks for actual NHL players. He may have paid a tad too much for Reinhart (still to be determined) but I love how much the Oilers paid for Talbot, especially when you consider how poorly the Oilers have drafted outside the first round.

Solid return so far.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I love watching Chiarelli trade the picks for actual NHL players. He may have paid a tad too much for Reinhart (still to be determined) but I love how much the Oilers paid for Talbot, especially when you consider how poorly the Oilers have drafted outside the first round.

Solid return so far.
    To add to that thought, this is a club that just canned their scouting department. Really, they are in no position to be making picks other than McDavid. Better to go after players the guys at the reins have seen than to blindly throw darts.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    To add to that thought, this is a club that just canned their scouting department. Really, they are in no position to be making picks other than McDavid. Better to go after players the guys at the reins have seen than to blindly throw darts.
    Absolutely.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Absolutely.
    Agreed

Dobber Sports Deity

So many trades I cant keep up.

Marincin out for 107 and Brad Ross, then they flip that pick along with Ewanyk for Eric Gryba.

Is it just me or does that seem low for Marincin, who was once considered a top 4 Dman in EDM. I do like Gryba there though.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I thought the return for Marincin was low, but I think the organization has soured on him a bit. I kept hearing about the team's desire for him to bulk up and become more assertive physically and he sure seemed to have taken a step backward this past season.

Dobber Sports Star

What's the general consensus with Talbot vs Lack? Was Talbot the better option? Personally, I think Talbot is the better option, but I have a feeling that I might be in the minority here.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

I was hoping for Lack only because I felt he had a bit more experience in a starter role. I am happy with Talbot too. Honestly, it didn't cost all that much when you consider how well the Oilers have drafted outside the 1st round.

They have a year with him to see what they have. If they don't like him, he can walk and the Oilers can go another route. By then, Anaheim will be in a position to make some goalie moves too.

I won't lie, I got excited when I heard there was a chance of John Gibson becoming available.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I was off enjoying the great outdoors all weekend so had to get caught up on the draft last night. I absolutely LOVE everything Chiarelli did over the weekend, he knew where the holes were on his team and had a plan to fix those, and if his Plan A didn't come to fruition he immediately executed Plan B and to add to it his former employer was imploding on itself for most of the draft.

1. D-man. He knew he needed a D-man so he went after Hamilton (I have a hunch he may have told Boston he was going to offer-sheet Hamilton, he at least threatened as much in the media) He offered a solid package but didn't get his guy. When that didn't work out he works out a solid trade for Reinhart, a top-5 pick 2 years ago with strength, grit and development? Yes please.
    2. Talbot. Next he went out and got Talbot, who was by all accounts the guy they wanted. To be perfectly honest I'm a little bit concerned about Talbot transitioning to a starter, but that was the guy they wanted and they didn't overpay, they stuck to their plan of not using the 16th pick and still got him. I'm not sure if Talbot or Lack would be better, I think their talents are fairly even, I suspect Chiarelli quickly recognized he was going to have to massively overpay Vancouver for Lack so that halted talks in a hurry.
    3. Gryba. Chairelli has talked since day 1 about being "heavier" and tougher to play against, Gryba adds that dimension to our game for a very moderate return.

I was disappointed the team traded Marincin, I thought he had solid potential to be a regular NHL player, I know the Oilers wanted him to be more physical though.

All in All I think it was a massively positive weekend for the Oilers, I can't remember a draft where they made so many moves to fill their obvious holes.

Next up, free agency, I would still like the Oilers to target another NHL-calibre top-4 D-man. Sekera and Franson are out there as are Paul Martin and a few others. Also, I'd love to throw some money at Niemi and have a Niemi/Talbot pairing going forward. Do whatever you have to with Scrivens to get rid of him at that point.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I was off enjoying the great outdoors all weekend so had to get caught up on the draft last night. I absolutely LOVE everything Chiarelli did over the weekend, he knew where the holes were on his team and had a plan to fix those, and if his Plan A didn't come to fruition he immediately executed Plan B and to add to it his former employer was imploding on itself for most of the draft.

1. D-man. He knew he needed a D-man so he went after Hamilton (I have a hunch he may have told Boston he was going to offer-sheet Hamilton, he at least threatened as much in the media) He offered a solid package but didn't get his guy. When that didn't work out he works out a solid trade for Reinhart, a top-5 pick 2 years ago with strength, grit and development? Yes please.
    2. Talbot. Next he went out and got Talbot, who was by all accounts the guy they wanted. To be perfectly honest I'm a little bit concerned about Talbot transitioning to a starter, but that was the guy they wanted and they didn't overpay, they stuck to their plan of not using the 16th pick and still got him. I'm not sure if Talbot or Lack would be better, I think their talents are fairly even, I suspect Chiarelli quickly recognized he was going to have to massively overpay Vancouver for Lack so that halted talks in a hurry.
    3. Gryba. Chairelli has talked since day 1 about being "heavier" and tougher to play against, Gryba adds that dimension to our game for a very moderate return.

I was disappointed the team traded Marincin, I thought he had solid potential to be a regular NHL player, I know the Oilers wanted him to be more physical though.

All in All I think it was a massively positive weekend for the Oilers, I can't remember a draft where they made so many moves to fill their obvious holes.

Next up, free agency, I would still like the Oilers to target another NHL-calibre top-4 D-man. Sekera and Franson are out there as are Paul Martin and a few others. Also, I'd love to throw some money at Niemi and have a Niemi/Talbot pairing going forward. Do whatever you have to with Scrivens to get rid of him at that point.

I agree..on the whole it's hard to argue that the Oilers didn't become a better team after the draft. Without the obvious McDavid, they secured a good d prospect in Reinhart that is far from a bust at this point which some are saying. He's only 21 years old and 8 games NHL experience. He may never live up to his 4th overall status, but he plays the workhorse type of game the Oilers have desperately needed for quite a while...big, strong, and defensively aware. Gryba is the same sort of player, which more of a physical edge but less skill, but again a good fit for team need.

They got a low risk high reward goalie in Talbot for a very fair price, can't complain about that.

If they can add a couple higher quality dmen via free agency that can play 1-2 line minutes then I think we could possibly, just possibly, see a decent season out of the Oilers next year. I'm not expecting anything crazy, but if they can be playing meaningful games in February this year that is a huge step forward in my books.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, W. Johnston, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Binnington

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Reinhart should have never gone in the top 5, but it was still a good get for Edmonton.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Reinhart should have never gone in the top 5, but it was still a good get for Edmonton.
    Looking back at the 2012 draft you'd almost rather have drafted outside the top 10. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Looking back at the 2012 draft you'd almost rather have drafted outside the top 10. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html
    Yea, it was considered a reach at the time, as he was rated much lower. And I don't think looking back right now that viewpoint has changed much.