Page 165 of 370 FirstFirst ... 65 115 155 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 175 215 265 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 5548

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I've heard the comparison to Kane before, in both size and skill-set. I have never watched him play, but my concern with him (based on the Kane comparison) is that we don't really need another smallish, skilled winger.

I have read that he could play center, but that is often the case with junior players. In the NHL, they often can't play center.

Even if Marner is super skilled, I think I'd prefer the Oilers drafting Strome, who projects to be a solid #2 center, based size and second-hand scouting reports. I haven't actually watched Strome play either, so I can't comment from first-hand knowledge.

I really wish we could have gotten Eichel.
    I hear ya. And do agree, Strome may actually be our guy IF the boys in brass have zero intention on moving Eberle. Infact, I think I'd prefer a guy like Strome of Marner but that's no dig on Marner. Kid oozes talent and I'm excited to see where he lands in the show. be it EDM... I don't think he'll disappoint. I can definitely see Marner line up on the wing and would likely be a better accent to RNH and Hall than Eberle is now. Even if Strome lands in the #2 C spot, I still see a HUGE opportunity for us to move one of our proven or hopeful top 6 forwards for Proven depth. I CAN'T SEE next year not unfolding with improved play regardless of who they draft.

The Great One

Well that changes everything. At least we are good at winning something.

I know we are going to be hated by pretty much everyone now, but I'm happier that we finished 3rd last and got the pick instead of dead last. People can't really say that we tanked to get the pick.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

Lots of haters out there right now. My social media was buzzing last night and I was arguing left and right with friends of mine on facebook. It was a riot.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Lots of haters out there right now. My social media was buzzing last night and I was arguing left and right with friends of mine on facebook. It was a riot.
    Ya I was getting the same thing. A lot of it is disappointment that their team didn't get the pick. Sour grapes anybody?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Ya I was getting the same thing. A lot of it is disappointment that their team didn't get the pick. Sour grapes anybody?

Rylant
    Canucks fan here -- so no sour grapes (not eligible for the lottery, so it's not like I expected him to be in Van).

The frustration is from the fact that the Oilers have had the #1 pick several times and done nothing with it in terms of improvement.
    Any other team would've been palatable (outside of maybe a Boston or LA).

Frustrating that the Oilers -- who already had an embarrassment of riches in terms of young talent -- are given yet another piece for their ineptitude. It feels like it was unnecessary.

The lottery is to help teams rebuild and then move up the ranks.
    If they couldn't win with RNH, Eberle, Hall, Nurse, Schultz, Yakupov, Draisatl... then it's on the franchise for not succeeding in spite of all kinds of help over the last 5-7 years.

That's the frustration.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Canucks fan here -- so no sour grapes (not eligible for the lottery, so it's not like I expected him to be in Van).

The frustration is from the fact that the Oilers have had the #1 pick several times and done nothing with it in terms of improvement.
    Any other team would've been palatable (outside of maybe a Boston or LA).

Frustrating that the Oilers -- who already had an embarrassment of riches in terms of young talent -- are given yet another piece for their ineptitude. It feels like it was unnecessary.

The lottery is to help teams rebuild and then move up the ranks.
    If they couldn't win with RNH, Eberle, Hall, Nurse, Schultz, Yakupov, Draisatl... then it's on the franchise for not succeeding in spite of all kinds of help over the last 5-7 years.

That's the frustration.
    This is entirely true. I couldn't agree more.

The following, Stone, is not directed towards you, because I know you and I know you don't hate the fans...

If others are frustrated, just imagine how much more frustrated we the Oiler fans are with the on-ice product. We haven't had much to cheer for in years. Hate the club for sucking, hate the NHL for setting up the draft lottery in a way that enables teams to win the lottery numerous times, hate the low Canadian dollar and shitty environment that prevents Edmonton from attracting quality Free Agents, hate the management team for now being able to build a winning team, hate the Edmonton players for not living up to their potential, but don't hate the fans. For those of us that have remained loyal to the Oilers, we can only hope that someday soon our patience with and dedication to such an embarrassing franchise will finally be rewarded. Maybe soon we can actually wear our jerseys with pride, cheer for our team in the playoffs, and no longer be the laughing stock of the NHL.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ninja

After Edmonton won the lottery, my buddy who is a Maple Leaf fan, immediately called me and went on a 20 minute rant! At least Buffalo, a team whose sole goal this year was to tank for McDavid, didn't get him. No way they trade Enroth if he stunk up the joint. Hey, there's incentive, play well, we'll trade you out of Buffalo! I thought Tim Murray was an alright guy, but after listening to him after he lost the lottery, I am very happy that they didn't win.

This does change everything. It's going to be an interesting summer for the Oilers. Get a couple of puck moving defensemen. Sign one as a UFA (Green?), yes you will have to overpay, but whatever. Then trade for one if you can. Look for a decent goalie with potential to offset Scrivens, who isn't complete junk and on an improving team, may actually be new and improved. Ah, but I'm ever the optimist. I wouldn't trade away RNH or Hall. I really like Eberle and think that Yakupov can excel in this league in a couple or three years in the right situation, whether that's in Edmonton or not, I don't know. Looking forward to the summer now even more!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    This is entirely true. I couldn't agree more.

The following, Stone, is not directed towards you, because I know you and I know you don't hate the fans...

If others are frustrated, just imagine how much more frustrated we the Oiler fans are with the on-ice product. We haven't had much to cheer for in years. Hate the club for sucking, hate the NHL for setting up the draft lottery in a way that enables teams to win the lottery numerous times, hate the low Canadian dollar and shitty environment that prevents Edmonton from attracting quality Free Agents, hate the management team for now being able to build a winning team, hate the Edmonton players for not living up to their potential, but don't hate the fans. For those of us that have remained loyal to the Oilers, we can only hope that someday soon our patience with and dedication to such an embarrassing franchise will finally be rewarded. Maybe soon we can actually wear our jerseys with pride, cheer for our team in the playoffs, and no longer be the laughing stock of the NHL.
    Good post. And I recognize the difficulties Edmonton has had in building a winner.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think the unexpected consequence of this lottery win is that veterans might see Edmonton as a more desirable destination now. Oiler management better be busy signing some FAs this summer to lead this group of youngsters. Deal one of the youngsters for D help. Lots of work still to do here.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I wish I had more confidence in the guys making the decisions in EDM right now. I shudder to think what a "bold move" from MacT might actually look like. We need to make one, but I just have zero confidence that all these assets now at managements disposal will be used in a way that results in a competitive, well balanced team in the near future.
    10 Team, weekly H2H one-win league. Keep 15, any position. 26 man roster.

Skaters: G, A, PPP, SHG, GWG,+/-, Shots, Hits.
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SO.

Start: 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G.

C: McDavid, Mackinnon, Lindholm
    LW:
    A. Svechnikov, Stamkos, Forsberg, Stutzle
    RW: Kempe
    D: Dahlin, Ekblad, Seider, Bouchard,
    ​Sergachev/Chychrun

G: Shesterkin, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Initiate

First off congratulations to you guys for winning the lottery. I am not going to lie when I first saw the headlines all I could think of was "You have to be FN KIDDING ME!?!?!". And that was mainly due to the fact that you have had the pick 4 times in the last 6 years. But now that it has set in it is what it is and hopefully just hopefully you guys don't screw mcdavid up. He's going to be on my fantasy team so you better not!

Other things that came to my mind, this should really really help Yakupov. Either by getting him a legit center to play with or by getting him traded to another team where he can have a chance with a good center. The other thing was that all of a sudden having Brossoit on my farm team could be a good thing in a few years haha.

12 H2H Dynasty:
    S: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits
    G: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    LW: Robertson, Debrincat, Gaudreau
    C: Matthews, Point, Kuznetsov
    RW: Kyrou, Toffoli, Rakell
    D: Chychurn, Krug, Gavrikov, Giordano, Liljegren
    W/FWD/Skt: JT Miller, Nelson, Farabee
    G: Bobrovsky, Swayman
    Bench: Horvat, Dach, Greenway, R. Smith, Stutzle, Kunin, Skjei, E. Johnson
    Farm: Johnston, Raty, Maccelli, Lysell, Quinn, Sandin, Brannstrom, Dostal, Forsberg, Gustavsson, Thompson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

All I can say is that if Toronto couldn't land him, I'm thrilled the OIL did. Keep the next best thing in a Canadian market. Nice for a change from a national perspective. Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux all doing their thing south of the border. But this kid, eventually, could be a game changer and earn some very much deserved National Pride in the playoffs.

Congrats Oilers! Finally something for this guy to cheer for (coming from a Leaf/oiler household).

Dobber Sports Superstar

The Oilers have named Bob Nicholson CEO of the Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG). Nicholson "will take over an expanded set of responsibilities within OEG that includes authority over all aspects of business and hockey operations for the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club." Not sure if this is anything or not as far as Asset Management or if its strictly a business move. When he was first hired I got the impression his biggest job was dealing with the new arena and maximizing non-hockey nights booked.

If nothing else it gives another hockey mind in the room that I trust to hand out advice to the GM (who I don't trust).

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=764212
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    The Oilers have named Bob Nicholson CEO of the Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG). Nicholson "will take over an expanded set of responsibilities within OEG that includes authority over all aspects of business and hockey operations for the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club." Not sure if this is anything or not as far as Asset Management or if its strictly a business move. When he was first hired I got the impression his biggest job was dealing with the new arena and maximizing non-hockey nights booked.

If nothing else it gives another hockey mind in the room that I trust to hand out advice to the GM (who I don't trust).

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=764212
    I like this for the Oilers.

Here's hoping Nicholson makes the tough decisions that Katz obviously doesn't have the balls to make. Maybe that's the reason for the expanded role; Katz doesn't want to get any blood on his hands and can transfer the gun to Nicholsons hands.

Come on Bob, pull the trigger on KLowe, Howson and MacT!!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Alright boys, let's get to some serious arm-chair GMing now that our team may actually have a legitimate shot at turning things around. I wrote this on another forum, what are your thoughts about free agents? I know trades may turn out to be much more important than free agency, but here are my thoughts on possible FA targets:

Goalies:
    - Niemi
    - Bernier
    - Neuvirth

Not a whole lot to choose from here. This might be better acquired through trade.

Defense:
    - Barrett Jackman
    - Francois Beauchemin
    - Paul Martin
    - Johnny Oduya
    - Christian Ehrhoff

If they were able to sign any one of these guys it would be an immediate improvement to our defensive situation. I have Barrett Jackman at the top of my personal list as I feel he's the exact type of players the Oilers need both in play and personality.

Forwards:
    - Justin Williams
    - Joel Ward
    - Chris Stewart
    - Steve Downie
    - Curtis Glencross (doubtful he'd sign here)

My list of forward targets are players I feel would be good complementary players to the young core and provide more depth to the roster.

Thoughts?
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    Alright boys, let's get to some serious arm-chair GMing now that our team may actually have a legitimate shot at turning things around. I wrote this on another forum, what are your thoughts about free agents? I know trades may turn out to be much more important than free agency, but here are my thoughts on possible FA targets:

Goalies:
    - Niemi
    - Bernier
    - Neuvirth

Not a whole lot to choose from here. This might be better acquired through trade.

Defense:
    - Barrett Jackman
    - Francois Beauchemin
    - Paul Martin
    - Johnny Oduya
    - Christian Ehrhoff

If they were able to sign any one of these guys it would be an immediate improvement to our defensive situation. I have Barrett Jackman at the top of my personal list as I feel he's the exact type of players the Oilers need both in play and personality.

Forwards:
    - Justin Williams
    - Joel Ward
    - Chris Stewart
    - Steve Downie
    - Curtis Glencross (doubtful he'd sign here)

My list of forward targets are players I feel would be good complementary players to the young core and provide more depth to the roster.

Thoughts?
    There's been a ton of talk about the Oilers today. Good thread here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...38#post1457938

Personally I think we should concentrate on the following guys:

Goaltender:
    Niemi -will come down to how rich the offers are elsewhere. I would love to sign him to a 3 year deal, I'm scared someone offers him 5 or 6. Although Miller only got a 3 year deal last year so maybe the market is soft. I'd love 3 years at $4.5 m or less
    Crawford- I really think Crawford could be had for fairly cheap. As I'll write below Chicago is in a really bad cap spot with Toews/Kane extensions. If Darling steals a round could they deal Crawford for cap relief? They did it once with Niemi.
    Anderson- Depends on what Ottawa does. I want no part of Hammond, he's 27 and a career AHLer. He will be a big disappointment next season I think. Anderson also has 3 years left I'd move Pittsburgh's 1st rounder for him if the Seabrook deal below falls thru.

Dmen:
    Seabrook- Again Chicago is really bad against the cap. The obvious targets are Crawford, Seabrook and Sharp. Sharp will be hard to find a taker for. Seabrook could easily be the Oilers #1 and has 5 to as many as 8 good years left. Offer up Pittsburgh's 1st rounder and a prospect.
    Frason - UFA under-rated (Axeman's idea not mine). Plays physical and has a great shot for the PP. While maybe not a true #1 he'd be top pairing on our team for sure.
    Oduya- UFA - Chicago won't be able to offer him much so he hits the market. A reasonable term and hit I'd be all over him.
    From your list I also like Paul Martin and Ehrhoff if the price is right.

Forwards:
    I don't see the Oilers signing more than 1 new forward. Their top-6 is more or less spoken for and their bottom-6 is arguably the best part of their entire roster relative to the league. Simply put Forwards are the last priority for this team. I would love to see them sign one veteran guy to help the younger kids, especially McDavid. I've read several pieces that say Bill Guerin was a tremendous help to Crosby early on in Pittsburgh. Who that guy is I have no idea. I really dislike speculating about character guys because none of us have any idea who is and isn't a good character guy. Brad Richards perhaps?
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR