Page 16 of 370 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Ninja

dantencer Dan Tencer
    Renney on RNH: "He's coming on the trip (after tonight's game to Denver). We'll see what happens. We'll do the right thing."

This has been bothering me. Why are the Oilers being so indecisive about this whole thing when it seems obvious to everyone else.

My theory?

Renney is still not sure if this team is for real or not. In their worst years they have come out of the gate hot and still ended up the worst team in the league. With an eye to the long term he doesn't want to keep RNH up if the team doesn't look like they can be good enough to justify it.

I honestly wonder if this Capitals game is a decisive game in that if the team can stay close (even if they lose) with Washington then they are for real and RNH sticks. If not and they get dominated by the Capitals, then perhaps they are not really ready to compete quite yet. So in essence, perhaps this isn't about RNH as a player, but more about the team as a whole.

I don't agree with it, and it could be totally out to lunch, but I am really confused as to why this has not been dealt with yet.

Administrator

Yeah this is a really interesting situation. My feeling is you absolutely have to keep him. Real or not this team is coming along with a lot of pieces in place. The argument could be made that by adding a veteran up front who can stay in the lineup (to replace Hemsky) and a couple of veterans on the blueline this team is ready to make a playoff run. The NHL is a different place from where it was a few years ago in terms of how many dominant teams there are but they definitely have that Chicago Blackhawks type feel where they narrowly missed the playoffs.

I understand the logic behind sending RNH down in terms of protecting his still thin frame from abuse and saving a year of his rookie contract for when we are competitive but it's clear he is ready. What's best for his development is competing against men and hopefully making a strong push for the playoffs and building chemistry with his teammates. I think sending him down sends the COMPLETELY wrong message, especially since he is outperforming all their sophomores that they kept with the team for their full rookie years.

Realistically this team could be Cup contending in three years. That's RNH's last year of his rookie contract and by then you are already looking at new contracts for Hall-Eberle-Paajarvi and some of the others so you are already headed towards cap hell. An extra year doesn't buy you much. If anything it's better his ends just a year after the rookie deals of those three because it forces the team to focus more on the fact they'll need to re-sign him in just a year. It will keep their spending in check and hopefully prevent a blow it up type situation like what happened to Chicago.

Not saying that we don't have a long way to go, but I cannot see how you could look at the big picture and see how sending RNH down is helpful.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Wasn't a fan of this pick, but our 31st overall selection, David Musil, has performed significantly better (stats-wise at least) than last year.

He has 10 points in 14 games for .714 points per game which is significantly better than his .403 points per game of last season. Whether he keeps it up or not is a different matter though.
    Musil was a sure fire 1st round pick this time last year. Injuries and a weakened Giants team slowed him down. Looks like the Oilers scouts have done their homework in the WHL, all the dmen they've taken have improved significantly since.

ps. Im with you guys I cant believe RNH being sent down is still a topic. He's been 1 of our best players every single game except maybe @Cgy.
    Last edited by donions; October 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That pp goal was a thing of beauty.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Musil was a sure fire 1st round pick this time last year. Injuries and a weakened Giants team slowed him down. Looks like the Oilers scouts have done their homework in the WHL, all the dmen they've taken have improved significantly since.

ps. Im with you guys I cant believe RNH being sent down is still a topic. He's been 1 of our best players every single game except maybe @Cgy.
    I dunno maybe he was the right pick. I was and still am disappointed that we didn't snag Adam Clendening. He has his limitations but was one of the best puck moving defensemen in the draft. He's the next Shattenkirk.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I dunno maybe he was the right pick. I was and still am disappointed that we didn't snag Adam Clendening. He has his limitations but was one of the best puck moving defensemen in the draft. He's the next Shattenkirk.
    I also liked Clendening as well as several who went after Musil - Jenner, Rask, Saad, Grimaldi.

Dobber Sports Sage

That pp goal was a thing of beauty.
    It is so sick. It's actually making me flip from maybe one of the must exciting World Series games ever.
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; October 28, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

That may be one of the biggest wins this year - they just upset what is currently the best team in the NHL.

unreal. may not have been their greatest game but they pulled through.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wow, awesome!

Administrator

I also liked Clendening as well as several who went after Musil - Jenner, Rask, Saad, Grimaldi.
    Jenner was another one if only for the size. Wasn't high on Saad but in retrospect man he would've been a steal. Grimaldi while good is not possible for this team. You throw him in the mix and they could get beaten up by most high school teams. Hard to argue with Musil's improvements though.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Jenner was another one if only for the size. Wasn't high on Saad but in retrospect man he would've been a steal. Grimaldi while good is not possible for this team. You throw him in the mix and they could get beaten up by most high school teams. Hard to argue with Musil's improvements though.
    Agreed but still felt they were BPA and trades down the road can always address size. But yes, Musil is starting to look like a decent pick, and although I liked Saad I definitely would have advocated on Jenner's behalf on draft day so as always hindsight is 20/20.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was just informed by Oilers management that he will not be returning to junior. #Oilers #NHL #Hoperazzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was just informed by Oilers management that he will not be returning to junior. #Oilers #NHL #Hoperazzi
    Excellent news.....

The chemistry of that line is a thing of beauty. Only down fall is burning another young kids contract early....1st Hall now RNH.

Dobber Sports Stud

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=597905

Petry recalled. Their website also shows Hemsky as being put on IR. I guess Whitney is not going on IR then?
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Ace

Whitney has been reported to miss 3 weeks from a lot of credible sources.

Im really glad RNH is staying. That line is easily one of the best lines so far this year in the NHL. They have been dominate in every game and all 3 players can score at anytime. Like MD said maybe we arent as far away from the playoffs as we once thought. If we can get some decent goaltending and maybe a couple more dmen this team might be able to sneak in. The offense can burn any team in the league right now on most nights. I think the key is gonna be to keep building on where they are going. I read a really good article on oilersnation the other day that compared this season to Quinns first season. The oilers came out of the gate that year to a 6-2 start. The difference between this year and that year is huge because when we were winning games that year it was a complete fluke. Every game the oilers were basically manhandled in every category but slipped by. I know last night wasnt the best performance by the Oil in the 3rd, but every NHL team has games like that.

If only we could get some decent dmen for guys like Hemsky, Gagner and Omark I think this team could really make a push. Tonight is a huge test again for the Oilers. Hopefully they still have enough gas left in the tank. They have been brutal against NW teams the past 6 years and if we are gonna start talking about the playoffs their record of 1-2-2 against NW teams has to change now.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP